By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Pete White

Here is a list of all the postings Pete White has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: The Repair Shop is getting to me...
10/01/2021 12:51:12

And I thought it was just me who was grumpy about this load off rubbish. I have had to resort to the switch, could stand no more of it, should have been a nicer experiance.

There would be even more blubbing if there were bills presented on collection, say x hours at say £40 -50 an hour = 850 notes sir, lol. ......."no way, wish I had left it neglected now"

So the "experts" are paid by the program makers, I would like to see the paperwork ?

Thread: Simple 2D Cad system
04/01/2021 12:50:18

I have been a linux fan for years so don't normally spend money on software, but recently upgraded my qcad package for a very reasonable 30 ish pounds. I have used qcad for over 15 years, recently tried some free packages but for me nothing matches up to qcad. There will be other opinions.........

I have been looking for something that will run on my recent chromebook, Librecad is an option.

Qcad is linux windooz and mac by the way, free no hassle trial is also available. 

Projects look good.

Pete

Edited By Pete White on 04/01/2021 12:54:43

Thread: TIG is harder than it looks
31/12/2020 11:30:52

Found it they do lots of thing engineering , I had a chat with the welding instructor, he said he would tailor the time to whatever was requested.

Noting like someone telling you how to do it and then watching and saying where you are going wrong. I seem to remember they are somehow connected to R- Tech, nice machines and you get your fee back if you buy an expensive model.

31/12/2020 08:47:21

Some interesting points there. Having done quite a bit of gas welding I have been told and thought I could move on quickly, often wrong, ask the wife lol.

There is a place quite close, Hinkley Leics who do 4 hours one to one tig tuition for 80 pounds, was going to go but got talked out of it then and now again Covid!!

Both my Migs have packed up so thought tig would "fill the gap"? nicely. No gas anymore relying on the big oil cooled Oxford and a mates mig when pushed?

Do we all watch to much u tube where the bar gets set high?

Pete

Thread: Which Laptop
23/12/2020 08:28:00

Peter, I see your delima, I have recently installed Lubuntu, light weight ubuntu, on my aged desktop and it is performing very well. I have ran varieties of Linux for 15 plus years.

May first car at 17 was year old was eight years old, my present car a Yeti is now 10 years old ?? Fancy a new one, as you say not a problem, but it has only done 60,000 miles and performing well, not to mention nowhere to go these days?

I did recently splash out on a Chromebook, for the wifes shopping? and a big 23 inch for qcad on the desktop.

Justs bought two pairs of Dickies trousers spending 85 notes, probably wont get to wear them out?

Just bought a new Makita angle grinder, much nicer to use than my failed Aldi one? Did go for two Aldi drills at £100 though?

Sending on a toilet next to the workshop,....... it gets more use these days?

I have been spurred on to spend due do to no holiday for over a year and not likely to have one for quite a while?

I think I am getting into Retail Therapy

I am considered a frugal spender, by some, but I am trying really hard to spend and enjoy.

Just decided to go up market and through money at my Series Landrover rebuild? Ongoing for 10 years, wont live to drive it if I don't ?

I have gone up market on the wine I drink?

Bit of a mixed message there I think?

Pete

Edited By Pete White on 23/12/2020 08:35:00

Thread: Windows 10 latest offering
17/11/2020 15:52:29

A bit off topic but..........

I have three mates on windoze 10 all pulling out what remaining hair they have, this computer stuff is a nightmare.

I thought I had solved it by going for a Chromebook, despite 15 happy years on linux. Well this has not turned out to be a success, had Linux enabled, worked for a couple of months and after an update all my Linux stuff has disappeared, a few days after Librecad had a dicky fit.

I have updated my old desktop with Linux Mint 19 and am back to normal, happy days. I am back in charge again and not being led around by an operating system.

Chromebook is fine for a quick boot up, to browse and read emails, started installing apps then went back to the proper versions with all the detail. When it did work, drive would not allow viewing of dxf files, apps would not view very well and not print them.

Sorry ..........needed to get that off my chest. lol

Pete

Thread: Plans for updating the archaic forum?
12/11/2020 09:08:07

Well just to say it works well enough for me, there are two many things that are constantly changing these days. Cannot say more that has not already been said I think.

Can we have a Facebook page? .....only joking I don't go there lol

Pete

Thread: Taper sleeve adapter
05/11/2020 18:43:20

Both are your tapers with be non stick or release with a tap, don't over think it.

I can't think of a better way than how I achieved the required sleeve.

I had in stock a 30 int taper with a 1 inch spigot used for mounting a boring head

I chucked up a piece of bar and machined an internal taper to a blued fit to the 30 int taper.

Rough turned the outside to the approx size of a 1 3/8 taper.

chuck another billet and turn a spigot on the end to suit the hole in the 30 int tool.

without removing from the lathe, drill and tap the four mounting holes and a center tapped hole for securing the 30 tool.

secure the half made sleeve by the center taped bolt, and machine the outside to fit your mill, with the ability to remove it and replace it to check for a blued fit, without loosing concentricity.

Pete

05/11/2020 18:40:56

Double post, internet works like a rubber band. 

I hopefully have a new reliable connection coming next week, much cheaper and according to quite a few mates does actually work.......Fingers crossed.

Edited By Pete White on 05/11/2020 18:48:51

Thread: Taper identification
30/10/2020 14:33:03

It is as Brian says I am sure. If you make a sleeve you only need one, then all int 30 stuff will fit, new stuff is not expensive from our sponsors. Can you send a pic of that one tool that you have with the ns taper, I would not carve that up. If you make a sleeve and mess up you can easily have another go, it can be a little tricky to get the diameters right, a little bit changes to lengh quite a lot, if you see what I mean,

30/10/2020 10:52:24

I have just looked up the gauge dim of a BT 30 taper at 31.75 clearly to small to fit the machine, which is 1 3/8 ?

Am I right in saying the size of a bt ? is the same with a shade as a int ? the difference being at the thin end, designed on bt for auto tool changing ?

30/10/2020 07:50:14
Posted by Me. on 29/10/2020 09:49:18:.

Its a Herbert machine from the 50's so it used to use a Herbert taper but I can see it has been modified to take more standard tooling but what that is is yet to be confirmed.

That tool shown in the pic fits the spindle and looks to be imperial, it will measure 1 3/8 a shade further on the taper? Which makes it the standard NS taper, If the machine has been modified what was it before, because now it takes very difficult to find tooliing?

It would be good to see a picture of the modification to the machine, has the spindle been sleeved and remachined to rectify damage?

Am I missing something here?

Pete

Edited By Pete White on 30/10/2020 08:02:23

Thread: .DXF Files for Meccano Chain Wheels
27/10/2020 12:55:42
Posted by Engine Builder on 26/10/2020 17:59:54:

This site has all the Meccano original part drawings. I have made some parts using them.

Meccano Drawings

Browsing those took me back, developed my skills with a number 6 set, very useful gounding for owning Landrovers for 50 years lol.

Thread: Heating copper boilers
25/10/2020 12:12:28

The wire would be a problem, certainly where it leaves the transfomer core to the leads? My oil filled Oxrord say at 150 amps 50 volts will run all day, but the heat output is on the end of the electrode. ?

pete

Thread: Herbert No10 Mill - details
25/10/2020 09:38:24
Posted by Oldiron on 24/10/2020 20:28:58:
Posted by Pete White on 29/09/2020 14:00:32: I don't think I can mention Arc Eurotrade?

Pete

As far as I know there is no ban on mentioning our good friends @ Arc Eurotrade.

regards

O good dont want to to break tthe rules.

24/10/2020 14:03:52

That looks like a nice machine. So Herberts went their own way with tapers more than once ! They certainly knew what they were doing, must have had good reason. The single slot in the table is sometimes a challenge!

Pete

24/10/2020 09:14:50

I am not sure which casting is broken on your machine, that pic of mine shows the top of the knee mainly, big issue if that is broken .

Edited By Pete White on 24/10/2020 09:16:54

24/10/2020 09:12:32

20201023_145808.jpg

Thread: nanoCad
07/10/2020 13:39:59

There are wobblers when you use different drawing packages on a file for sure. I use Librecad with linux on a Chrome book. I sent some files off for a laser quote and the guy said my lines were all green and dotted? I sent the same drawings to a mate running a newish version of Autocad and they opened fine? I suspect the issue was caused when I imported the drawing as a block and exploded it, don't know where the dotted lines came from? I had used green construction lines but had deleted them, night mare.

I have since sent the laser firm drawing done with normal techniques and they are fine ?

Pete

Edited By Pete White on 07/10/2020 13:42:16

Thread: Sheet Metal Bending Block and Blade
05/10/2020 06:41:27

Nice work,I have toyed with making something like this for years, never got round to it, ........one day !

I did turn out this, which may be of interest? Bending force calculator , if you have not already seen anything similar?

Pete

Edited By Pete White on 05/10/2020 06:43:16

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
cowells
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest