By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for JC54

Here is a list of all the postings JC54 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Learning CAD with Alibre Atom3D
16/06/2019 07:56:47

Many thanks Jason, David and Neil will have time tomorrow to give it a try. John

14/06/2019 23:21:57

Sorry on reading above post perhaps I should say Draw rather than Drill??? JC dont know

14/06/2019 23:18:03

This is more than likely one of my stupid questions but,,, I am trying to model a steam engine cylinder and want to drill a hole "steam port" at an angle to the "XY" plane. Is there a simple way to do this please? Many thanks in advance, JC thinking

Thread: Oh bugger, I told you I was ill
14/06/2019 22:37:33

Pleased you are on the mend. I had major back surgery nearly 20 years ago but your comment no pins and needles/pain, really struck a bell for me. No pain for the first time in 10 years and still no pain if I stick to my limitations. Try to enjoy time off and being pampered..... It won't last..wink JC

Thread: Whissendine Steam Rally 2019
03/06/2019 21:00:41

Displayed my modest/ amateur engines at rally for weekend and had a great time. Some very interesting and diverse displays and very friendly helpful people. Pity about the weather on Sunday but Saturday was superb. Even "Her that Must Be Obeyed" enjoyed herself..... Many thanks to the organizers and workers for such an enjoyable weekend.

Thread: NME&MEX Doncaster
11/05/2019 23:12:29

Managed to get to Doncaster again this year, a really enjoyable day with too much to look at properly in one day. Sadly no gas turbines to destroy the eardrums this year. I thought that this year there were more models showing that "used just off the farm/factory" look than last year. I for one prefer that look rather than polished within an inch of it's life look. But each to their own. Again the Bentley Blower was my personal best in show... A great day had by all but where's my bed? crook

Thread: Soft Solder v Silver Solder
09/05/2019 13:39:30

Thank you all for your replies and advice. The engine will run at a maximum of 60psi (ME upright boiler) and as I have some good quality "soft" solder I will try that. According to the spec melting point is 221C. Yes Jason I will be looking for a better torch at Doncaster Saturday.wink 2

08/05/2019 12:46:27

cylinders01.jpgI am making the cylinders for a twin cylinder oscillating engine. Each cylinder consists of two pieces soldered together. As I will be running this on steam would I need to silver solder or would soft solder be OK? I thought to tin the surfaces first as steam ports would be drilled through and want to be sure of a complete seal/joint. Many thanks for any help views on this, John

Edited By JC54 on 08/05/2019 12:51:03

Thread: Issue Reading New Digital Viewer
08/05/2019 00:41:45

As a digital subscriber to MEW I also have been printing articles so that I can take them into the workshop to make some of the projects. As this is no longer possible I for one WILL NOT BE RENEWING MY SUBSCRIPTION. This new viewer is completely unfit for use....

Thread: Dialect expressions
13/04/2019 21:39:56

Well i'll go t the foot of ma stairs...... As bright as a toc h lamp....... ?sarcastic 2

Thread: Vickers Bl 8 inch Howitzer cannon of 1917
13/04/2019 21:30:54

Superb looking Job. Isn't that combination going to look impressive and unique at shows/rallies. Keep up the brilliant work.yes

Thread: A close shave or why safety glasses are a must
12/04/2019 00:23:00

One of the few safety rules that i always stick to, never enter my workshop without first changing my normal glasses to my prescription safety glasses. If somebody comes into the workshop they either wear safety eyewear supplied or go away??? After 40 years in the motor trade and two friends losing eyes by not wearing their available eyewear I take no risks. My rule in the shop either wear it or go away!!!!

06/04/2019 21:17:44

Many thanks Jason, so simple but for some reason just could not see it. John

Thread: Bread Board Wire
06/04/2019 20:27:29
Posted by Boiler Bri on 06/04/2019 20:21:50:

I think these days wire strippers are very advanced and do the job so well. No need to poison yourself just get a good set of strippers.

Bri

I think the wife might complain..

06/04/2019 20:23:22

I am still strugling with simple parts but getting there slowly. I am sorry if this question has already been asked, is there a simple way to draw a hexagon? I want to make a part from a piece of 12mm AF hexagon bar approx 20mm long.

Many thanks John

Bolts and nuts are simple hexagons!!!!

Thread: Myford 3 1/2 M type
23/03/2019 22:00:08

Hi Grant, I sent you a PM, the manual that I have is the same as in link from Nick. It is well worth googling the Drummond forum , they have a very extensive file section and a lot of "experts" to answer questions. I will add that most of the really knowledgable members are also on this forum. cheeky

Thread: Potty:- Helping Dad Grasshopper Engine
23/03/2019 21:05:02

As a beginner I second what Gas_Mantle says. I also hope this engine is serialised in ME but as they are already doing a beam engine I will not hold my breath. I hope that I am proved wrong (a regular occurance embarrassed) this engine deserves magazine space..smiley many thanks Stew.

John

Thread: Doncaster ME show 2019
18/03/2019 20:20:18

We went last year and it was a great day out. Definitely bigger than the Fosse. A lot of activity outside, road steam vehicles, model aircraft flying and amazing model helicopters. Turbo Jet demonstration (bl**dy noisy). Disabled parking right outside main entrance. Room to sit down and have a cup of tea and bite to eat. Some really superb models and engines on show. The only fault I found was that very few model engines were actually running!!! there is power in the hall why didn't clubs run a small compressor?? A great day out well worth the entrance cost.. John

Thread: Potty:- Helping Dad Grasshopper Engine
17/03/2019 19:57:50

Many thanks Stewart for the plans, It looks like I have started a rush.....Johndont know

16/03/2019 21:07:00

Many thanks Stewart I have sent you a PM, really apreciated.

Evening Peter, I have been reading your build log on, dare I say it? another forum. MEM. Very well done and informative for us amateurs.surprise John

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Sarik
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest