By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for JC54

Here is a list of all the postings JC54 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Dialect expressions
13/04/2019 21:39:56

Well i'll go t the foot of ma stairs...... As bright as a toc h lamp....... ?sarcastic 2

Thread: Vickers Bl 8 inch Howitzer cannon of 1917
13/04/2019 21:30:54

Superb looking Job. Isn't that combination going to look impressive and unique at shows/rallies. Keep up the brilliant work.yes

Thread: A close shave or why safety glasses are a must
12/04/2019 00:23:00

One of the few safety rules that i always stick to, never enter my workshop without first changing my normal glasses to my prescription safety glasses. If somebody comes into the workshop they either wear safety eyewear supplied or go away??? After 40 years in the motor trade and two friends losing eyes by not wearing their available eyewear I take no risks. My rule in the shop either wear it or go away!!!!

Thread: Learning CAD with Alibre Atom3D
06/04/2019 21:17:44

Many thanks Jason, so simple but for some reason just could not see it. John

Thread: Bread Board Wire
06/04/2019 20:27:29
Posted by Boiler Bri on 06/04/2019 20:21:50:

I think these days wire strippers are very advanced and do the job so well. No need to poison yourself just get a good set of strippers.

Bri

I think the wife might complain..

Thread: Learning CAD with Alibre Atom3D
06/04/2019 20:23:22

I am still strugling with simple parts but getting there slowly. I am sorry if this question has already been asked, is there a simple way to draw a hexagon? I want to make a part from a piece of 12mm AF hexagon bar approx 20mm long.

Many thanks John

Bolts and nuts are simple hexagons!!!!

Thread: Myford 3 1/2 M type
23/03/2019 22:00:08

Hi Grant, I sent you a PM, the manual that I have is the same as in link from Nick. It is well worth googling the Drummond forum , they have a very extensive file section and a lot of "experts" to answer questions. I will add that most of the really knowledgable members are also on this forum. cheeky

Thread: Potty:- Helping Dad Grasshopper Engine
23/03/2019 21:05:02

As a beginner I second what Gas_Mantle says. I also hope this engine is serialised in ME but as they are already doing a beam engine I will not hold my breath. I hope that I am proved wrong (a regular occurance embarrassed) this engine deserves magazine space..smiley many thanks Stew.

John

Thread: Doncaster ME show 2019
18/03/2019 20:20:18

We went last year and it was a great day out. Definitely bigger than the Fosse. A lot of activity outside, road steam vehicles, model aircraft flying and amazing model helicopters. Turbo Jet demonstration (bl**dy noisy). Disabled parking right outside main entrance. Room to sit down and have a cup of tea and bite to eat. Some really superb models and engines on show. The only fault I found was that very few model engines were actually running!!! there is power in the hall why didn't clubs run a small compressor?? A great day out well worth the entrance cost.. John

Thread: Potty:- Helping Dad Grasshopper Engine
17/03/2019 19:57:50

Many thanks Stewart for the plans, It looks like I have started a rush.....Johndont know

16/03/2019 21:07:00

Many thanks Stewart I have sent you a PM, really apreciated.

Evening Peter, I have been reading your build log on, dare I say it? another forum. MEM. Very well done and informative for us amateurs.surprise John

16/03/2019 17:51:12

Was this engine ever featured in ME. I cann't find it or plans and would like to have a go at building it. John

Thread: Drummond enthusiast
11/03/2019 23:15:23

Hello Lee, as you will already have seen there is still quite a "Drummond" following. I have a "roughly" 1906 5inch split bed and a highly modified 1947/8 M. The accuracy of the lathes is definitely better than minethinking. Welcome to the forum. John

Thread: Centre finder?
09/03/2019 19:25:10

Another simple method is to cut a short piece of box section (10mm) that will fit in the toolpost fill with silicon sealer then push a long "needle" through it. Same idea as FF. This makes a very quick cheap wobbler..

Thread: My wife thinks I'm loosing it
26/02/2019 21:00:56

My wife does not think that I am losing it... She knows I am.....

Thread: Modern equivellent idea's please
15/02/2019 20:44:41

I agree with S.O.D. have just replaced single phase motor on my old drummond "M" with a 3 phase + VFD. A lot smoother and variable speed forward and reverse. JC

Thread: Digital speed display
01/02/2019 21:43:23

Being a learner machinist but having "tinkered" with electronics I have fitted a tachometer to both of my lathes (a 1906 Drummond and a 1946 Myford/Drummond) and have found them a great help. I do not stick rigidly to the recommended RPM for a job but find the tachos get me into the correct ballpark. I have made my own Tachometers for roughly £10.00 each. Both lathes are running 3 phase motors via inverters. John

Thread: Hi from East Lincolnshire
31/01/2019 22:12:18

Evening Adrian, I am also in Lincolnshire but in the West. Grantham area. There are several of us here who meet up regularly and have just started going to the Melton Mowbray and District Model Engineering Society meetings and Steam Ups at Whissendine. They are a very friendly, helpfull and knowledgable group. John

Thread: The Diamond Tool Holder
22/01/2019 20:53:01

Duncan, Norman toolholder is standard on Drummond M topslide, so I made one to bolt onto the crosslide, made several holders for different tools with height adjusting screw, easy QCP. Also holders fit both slides. John

Thread: Is it just me?
21/01/2019 20:42:46

Welcome to the club David. I am a founder member and wear the "T" shirt with pride.winklaugh. Another thing that annoys me is when you go to a website but cannot see it for a load of stuff about Cookies. Some sites have a "no thankyou" button, the ones that do not I tend to ignore and again take my business elsewhere......angry John

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
TRANSWAVE Converters
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest