By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nigel (egi)

Here is a list of all the postings Nigel (egi) has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Round indexable tips.
27/01/2019 11:39:45

I've been using a round tipped lathe tool from Glanze, quite useful for profile fillets:

**LINK**

The downside is they can chatter as the cutting width is quite long

Thread: 5 Cylinder Rotary Air Engine
27/01/2019 11:34:57

This was the limit of the plans that I constructed - really just to check the master and slave conrod clearances

Thread: Skyhooks - an overhead solution
26/01/2019 20:40:53

I have beams in the roof space of my workshop with a few random nails in the side of them - these end being used to hang all sorts of stuff up there including: bandsaw blades, long clamps, folded up gloves and a bendy phone clamp that i use to make videos of my work. All I can say is the ceiling is a special area of the workshop.

26/01/2019 20:30:44
Posted by Howi on 23/01/2019 09:20:21:

+1 for plans please

I only have a rough sketch and no cae ability, sorry

Edited By Nigel (egi) on 26/01/2019 20:33:18

23/01/2019 22:20:38

It would be nice to build a sopwith as an indoor free-flight model. The air tanks used for paintball might be a way forward

23/01/2019 20:52:44

I've not measured the power or air consumption and not pushed it too far - it runs and has become a showpiece sadly

23/01/2019 20:49:19

Not sure really why this configuration, but I sketched a rough idea and started by making the crankcase that is shown in the video **LINK**

The crankshaft is fixed and the air enters the end, comes out halfway down and enters one of the copper tubes - the tube will be the one connected to the piston that is at Tec

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
01/10/2018 17:02:53

I've just finished making a planishing hammer

Mild steel head with case hardened surfaces.

Edited By JasonB on 01/10/2018 17:10:10

15/09/2018 21:36:37

The piston and master corned with a 2mm drill acting as the gudgeon pin

5cyl-018.jpg

15/09/2018 21:35:11
Posted by Wout Moerman on 15/09/2018 21:24:47:

And what kind of ane will it fly? Any idea for a airtank? Or am I getting carried away?

It took quite a long time to build and must admit that I probably won't build a compressed air tank or flash boiler.

Although it would look good in a Sopwith Camel or similar aeroplane.

Maybe some plans so that someone else can go the hole way with the build

15/09/2018 21:26:52

Yes, the air goes in through the crank, which is stationary, this then comes out through the side of the crank and so is timed into each copper pipe that takes the air to the cylinder head. The piston is pushed down and at the bottom of the stroke there are holes in the side of the cylinder to let the air out.

15/09/2018 21:16:26

5cyl-005.jpg

The image doesn't give away the size of this engine and so thought this image might help.

15/09/2018 21:14:36

Not sure where to post this as this is a rotary compressed air/steam engine designed to drive a propeller. 9mm bore and stroke and all designed by me, sadly I only have one rough sketch to go by. There are a few more details on my gallery pages and I do keep wondering if I should create some plans, just not sure how much interest there would be.

Thread: Transitional Engine
15/09/2018 21:06:08

An image of the current engine, shows the air cooled cylinder and head, intention is to have sliding intake and exhaust, but based on the exchanges in this forum I might make a different cylinder, head and intake/exhaust system

transitional-001.jpg

a second image of the engine at a slightly different angle so that you can start to get a feel for it

transitional-002.jpg

I will post some more images as I start to change the design.

Thread: New Workshop
14/09/2018 20:22:05

All this talk of huge workshops...my wife says I always talk with envy of other people have bigger workshops. I've been creative with a very old workshop that I've insulated and lined. There are jobs where I have to go out onto the patio and so weather dependent - these tend to be DIY jobs and so gives me an excuse.

It does have a concrete floor and it is remarkably dry. I do have to be creative with storage in order that I can continue with the tool collecting....

Is is a wider still image that is very distorted, but gives a feeling of just how compact this is and how much you can pack in:

My workbenches are 93cm from floor to upper surface (**LINK**)

Happy times in the "Man Cave", Nigel

Thread: Sieg SX2.7 Quill Fine Feed
14/09/2018 15:23:44

Just had a play and once locked it is easy to then release the taper using the captive bolt.

The only small issue is there is not much space between the on/off speed control box and the bracket that holds the sensor for the shield (sorry, had to remove the plastic shield as I find them more dangerous ) and so small movements of the allen key - but it does work - thanks to Jason for pointing this out.

12/09/2018 20:42:05

I like the idea of the tappet gap, trouble is my current head design is for a sliding valve, with an air-cooled head and cylinder - I might have to change this and make this more "steam-enginish" (happy if you can moderate this to a real phrase!).

I'll add some images of the current head and cylinder design.

Thread: Anyone Got a Warco WM240B?
11/09/2018 21:15:58

I've had a Warco WM240B for some years and I love it

**LINK**

http://www.glue-it.com/wp/tools/lathes/warco-wm240b/

I keep thinking about upgrading it with a variable speed motor as the combinational of belt drive and variable speed would give me a huge range of speeds, but just too busy making models and the few speeds I have I find work very well.

11/09/2018 20:43:41

The eccentric will result in a sinusoidal motion and simple comparison to a cam profile shows it is close. I will see if I can do a full comparison.

I have made a 2:1 reduction drive to the camshaft, early picture below:

Gears were cut using an Amadeal XJ12 mill and Warco HV4 rotary table

Edited By JasonB on 12/09/2018 15:25:14

Thread: Sieg SX2.7 Quill Fine Feed
11/09/2018 20:33:27

Thanks all, must admit that I ignored the lock/release label even though I kept wondering how to lock the quill

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Advertise With Us
Meridienne oct 2019
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest