By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David Davies 8

Here is a list of all the postings David Davies 8 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: The Manley Ventilator
15/03/2020 07:14:49

PGK

This link took me down a very interesting route which lead to the inventions of John Blease. It was amazing to read that although not a doctor he had acted as an anesthetist on one occasion! Dr Manley subsequently joined Blease's company.

Cheers

Dave

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2020
26/02/2020 11:49:25

NIcely done, Duncan.

If you want to send me a short description and a few hi-res photos we could feature it in MEW, with due acknowledgement to Joe, of course!

Neil

Seconded!

Dave

Thread: Adjusting an M&W level
20/02/2020 06:44:28

Robin

I was recently given an ELM level which is a 12" version of the ELS. It had a broken vial. I removed the old vial which was held in by a potting compound similar to Polyfilla and am about to rebuild it with a vial obtained at a very reasonable price from Cromwell tools (I have no connection). Each end of the vial holding tube has two vertical screws, one screwhead inside the end plug of the tube, the other beneath the end of the tube. both have access holes for an allen key.The lower of the two screws acts as a jack for calibration, the upper one is a securing screw. To calibrate, the securing screw is released and the jacking screw is adjusted as required. I haven't done this yet but my understanding is that the level is calibrated by obtaining the same deviation when the level is swapped end for end on a flat surface. Once done, possibly over many iterations, the securing screw is tightened and a final check is made.

HTH

Dave

Thread: 1/4" BSF v 1/4" CEI
03/02/2020 20:49:34

I had a 1961 BSA A7 500 many years ago, that had cycle thread fixings all over the engine. The barrel to crankcase studs were 3/8 Whitworth into the alloy cases and cycle thread where the stud passed through the barrel base flange. I cleared out the local bike shop's stock of 3/8 nuts during the rebuild.

Dave

Thread: Bench grinder troubleshooting
03/02/2020 11:11:36

Gene

I have used Dow Corning 736 silicon sealant to secure winding tails after digging around for star points on 3 phase motors. This has a max temp of 315 degrees C.

As an aside I also used the same product to re-secure/seal the glass window of my kitchen oven door. It has lasted over 5 years with, sometimes, an inside temperature of over 220 degrees when baking bread.

HTH

Dave

Thread: How to hand grind 55 degree cutter for 32TPI?
03/02/2020 05:41:29

Morning all

Hopper mentions Martin Cleve above: in his book ' screwcutting in the lathe' he describes a simple jig to aid producing a screwcutting toolbit on an off-hand grinder. See pages 123 et seq. l made one and am very pleased with it. It is worth getting a copy as it is a mine of useful information.

HTH

Dave

Thread: Why does everyone disagree with you
27/01/2020 11:50:30

Hi All

Following on from Plasma's post above, if you search Google for the 'Dunning-Kruger Effect' and read same, it may explain why some members mock questions asked by others.

Dave

Thread: D'Andrea automatic boring head
23/01/2020 18:12:28

Hi Nick

All PDFs downloaded. Thank you very much for your help!

Regards

Dave

21/01/2020 22:21:03

Hi All

Album showing photos of head added. The head is a TA 120, this signifies that the O/D is 120mm.

Dave

19/01/2020 20:45:19

Hi Nick

Thanks for your kind offer.

Regards

Dave

Thread: Product Descriptions (Up to scratch?)
18/01/2020 21:42:21

Note that for longer work the swing over the cross slide is more important than the swing over the bed.

Thread: D'Andrea automatic boring head
18/01/2020 21:11:05

Hi all

l have been given a faulty D'Andrea type TA auto boring head. The bearings are shot and the manual drive to the slide doesn't drive. Searching the net so far has not produced a user manual, parts list or GA drawing.

Does anyone have electronic copies of any of the above that they would be willing to e-mail to me?

Thanks in anticipation.

Dave

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
12/01/2020 12:47:09

Joseph

the device at the rear of the lathe is a Colchester-Hepworth hydraulic copying attachment. You can see one in action on Keith Fenner,s Colchester-Clausing lathe on his you tube channel.

I don,t know its details but the rear mounted tool post follows the path taken by a stylus in contact with a previously prepared pattern mounted at the rear of the lathe bed as the saddle advances.

HTH

Dave

Thread: Myford super 7B oiling
01/01/2020 21:32:51

My use of ISO 32 above is incomplete, this defines the viscosity. The standard for the oil is ISO 11158. Also note that ISO 32 viscosity is equivalent to SAE 10W, SAE 30 is similar in viscosity to ISO 100 (100 centistokes).

Finally as Robert says some grades of ATF containing anti wear additives (Zinc dialkil dithiophosphate) can react with yellow and white metals.

hth

Dave

01/01/2020 20:03:27

Steven

I believe any ISO 32 hydraulic oil can be used as a lube oil on the ML7/S7. If your ATF meets this standard it will be ok. Also if you google David Haythornthwaite you will find a PDF which gives chapter and verse on Myford lubrication.

hth

Dave

Thread: Grinding wheel arbour
22/12/2019 17:38:57

Paul

if you search YouTube for Stefan Gotteswinter he has uploaded two videos on making slave hubs for grinding wheels to suit his Deckel clone. They may not have all the dimensions you need but may give you inspiration.

hth

Dave

Thread: Myford Dividing Head
12/12/2019 22:40:16

£26.95 from Amazon UK and same price from TEE Publishing,

Just noticed a Boo Boo on the outer nut, I have written 1" x 18 but this should read 7/8" x 18.

Will revise photos.

More haste less speed!

12/12/2019 22:09:02

Jeff

The current edition of "Workshop Techniques" includes 'Dividing and Graduating' (£12.95 in '94) and 'Building the UPT', (£10 in the same year)so the price isn't so bad in my opinion. It's well worth a read.

Cheers

Dave

12/12/2019 20:42:13

Jeff

I took my DH to bits to check sizes etc. It was fortunate that I did as I found I had left the woodruff key out so the gear was only held by friction. Severe bo***king for that!

I have uploaded photos which should give you enough detail to make your own. The Myford spindle nose dimensions are given in several threads here.

However I have to agree with Hopper that the GHT VDH kit is a neater alternative plus the design allows for enhancement to permit differential dividing and can therefore be used to produce gearwheels with prime numbers of teeth.

HTH

Dave

11/12/2019 22:06:29

Jeff

overhead bar 1" dia, 12" long

spindle 6 1/2" long, 2mt, 9/16 through bored.

maximum distance from spindle nose to overhead bar centre arm 6 1/2".

i would have to strip the spindle to get all diameters, threads and keyway dimensions, suffice to say that the nose is a std Myford, then the main body, then a plain collar, 1 5/8 dia, a threaded collar with a locking grubscrew and pad 1 1/2" dia, the 60T gear and finally the second threaded collar,g/s & pad, 1 3/8" dia.

plain collar 1/4" long, threaded collars 3/8" long.

hth

Dave

PS body 3 5/32" long (well it is on mine!)

Edited By David Davies 8 on 11/12/2019 22:12:22

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
emcomachinetools
cowells
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest