By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David Davies 8

Here is a list of all the postings David Davies 8 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: A cord of Ash
11/10/2019 14:08:47

Hi All

for what it's worth a cord is a volume 4' x 4' x 8' or 128 ft3. I have seen reference to it in British books about coppicing.

Regards

Dave

Thread: Help with a boxford c
09/10/2019 18:39:19

Hi Ian

I forgot to say that I have used Fenner Powertwist segmented belting on both the Cs without any problems.

Regards

Dave

08/10/2019 06:45:52

Hi Ian

Grandmothers and eggs etc., Boxford use two grub screws, one against the shaft, the other to lock the first. Are both out? I have two C's and have added power saddles to both, a worthwhile mod in my opinion.

hope this helps

Dave

08/10/2019 06:45:50

Hi Ian

Grandmothers and eggs etc., Boxford use two grub screws, one against the shaft, the other to lock the first. Are both out? I have two C's and have added power saddles to both, a worthwhile mod in my opinion.

hope this helps

Dave

Thread: At last - no more chattering when parting off!
07/10/2019 11:08:53

I thought it was camera shake at the beginning of the ''parting off'' then looked again and realised that the lathe was moving!

Thread: Hammer/Drift
01/10/2019 15:21:30

Will

Is this what you mean? Was referred to in a thread started here by Capnahab on 5th July 2015. I used one once, I'd like to find one for myself, it was a great device.

HTH

Dave

image.jpg

Thread: nutcracker
30/09/2019 22:19:31

Ah, another Viz reader!

Thread: Issue 286 - Bridgeport Article
30/09/2019 17:03:59

Andrew,

despite the lack of the annotated figure 4 in your article I was able to identify all the controls described in the text. Also I learned a lot about the capabilities and weaknesses of the machine. A very helpful article.

Regards

David

Thread: cutter slippage using ER series collets
27/09/2019 22:25:34

John

do youu use a ball bearing type closing nut? These allow application of the high torque required to close these collets with ease. I use them on my ER 32 & 40 gear, I assume they are available for ER 25.

HTH

Dave

Thread: How to repair old King Dick socket extension?
27/09/2019 22:19:00

I was given a half inch extension bar missing its retaining ball. I found a suitable ball and spring in the treasure chest. I then turned up a simple die with an annulus sized to contact the parent metal around the ball bearing and at the same time depressing the ball slightly. Hardened the die and then popped it and the bar into my hydraulic press, gave it a good squeeze and to my surprise it swaged the bar enough to retain the ball whilst retaining enough travel for the ball to do its job.

This must have cost more in time than it was worth but the idea was proven.

hope this helps.

Dave

Thread: Worried
25/09/2019 22:39:45

Centimetres are an unusual unit used by maths teachers and dressmakers.

Radius is a mythical thing used by turners and mathematicians.

Real engineers use millimetres and diameter!

Thread: Shell Petrol Can Puzzle
25/09/2019 15:24:25

I wouldn't put the suspected leaded petrol in the car tank unless the car is designed to run on leaded. Google revealed the following:-

"The addition of even a small quantity of tetraethyl lead to your tank will contaminate your catalytic converter, and reduce or destroy its ability to minimize pollutants."

Keep it for the lawnmower.

Dave

Edit to remove ''unleaded''

Edited By David Davies 8 on 25/09/2019 15:25:56

Thread: Recommendation for Tool and Cutter Grinder
13/09/2019 21:25:25

I'm a Luddite as well but i believe 0.35 mm is about 14 thou or 0.0138".

Sorry to be a pedant.

Dave

Thread: Stuck oil filter
12/09/2019 10:40:57

I have done the same as Jann, more than once. Don't get too close to the engine block with your screwdriver in case you hit the nipple that the filter screws onto. This method is not very pretty and a little messy but it works.

HTH

Dave

Thread: O rings.
11/09/2019 15:30:18

Hi if you Google Superseal .co.uk, who publish a pdf of ring size charts you should be able to find the reference number for any O ring you need. You will certainly then find them on Ebay as suggested by Sandgrounder,

HTH Dave

Thread: How to upset the neighbours!
09/09/2019 09:38:34

I'm green with envy! I ran an MGC GT from '82 to '86 but it wasn't quite like that one. Mine had a pair of 1.3/4 SU's not triple Weber DCOEs. Standard power was 145 BHP but I imagine this one produces a lot more.

MG made approximately 9000 of them between '67 and '69, I believe that half went to the USA. It was an attempt to follow the discontinued Austin-Healey 3000 but didn't quite manage to do so. One complaint was that the car was very front heavy.

Cheers

Dave

Thread: Just for fun what’s this stuck in my tyre?
28/08/2019 12:27:30

Ian

Can I claim my prize? Someone said it is a Hardinge HLV-H lathe?

Seriously, the gutters are littered with these cartridges around the Cardiff/Newport area. I see them lying there as I cycle in to work.

Is your Comet back in one piece now?

Cheers

Dave

27/08/2019 22:10:33

'Sparklet' CO2 cartridge? Blunt end of course!

Thread: QCTP problems
26/08/2019 14:15:37

Follow the hyperlink to watch some antics while attempting to part off!

Thread: Threaded Norman Toolpost
11/08/2019 22:45:17

Hi,

for what it's worth the clamping mechanism is described by GHT in his book 'Dividing and graduating', page 59 in my copy. It is used to clamp the spindle of his Versatile Dividing Head.

Dave

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Meridienne oct 2019
cowbells
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest