By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Mike Donnerstag

Here is a list of all the postings Mike Donnerstag has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Hemingway Myford Tailstock Swarf Guard
02/02/2020 15:10:55

That's brilliant ega. I'll try making one of those

Many thanks,

Mike

24/01/2020 15:54:30

How did you keep the inner and out ring concentric?

I made a ring from the felt, just using very sharp chisels and gouges, though it wasn't perfect and perhaps fits a little too tightly, but many thanks for the offer. For interest, I measured the size needed in mm: OD: 39.7mm, ID: 28.6mm

The part I photographed fits with the bent part upwards, covering the top of the apron above the half nuts, as in the photo on lathes.co.uk, which confirms that it must have been an original fitment:

myford s7 pxf from lathes.jpg

24/01/2020 15:20:49

ega: Yes, I removed the standard guard and the plate that protects the half-nuts (which I can't find any reference to in the manual so I'm wondering whether it was home-made. Having said that, it does look as if it has been stamped out:

Original half nut guard

I like your felt cutter and was wondering how to make such a thing. How did you make yours? I assume it's made in several pieces?

24/01/2020 13:28:51

Hi ega, I have posted photos of the two guards I've made so far below:

Leadscrew Swarf Guard 1

Leadscrew Swarf Guard 2

Tailstock Swarf Guard

Thread: Moving a Sieg SX3 Mill
23/01/2020 18:49:06

Jason: Once the column and head are separated from the base and table, can each of these lumps be man-handled by two chaps do you think?

23/01/2020 12:09:38

Great advice chaps - many thanks.

What is the best way to cut the 5mm felt neatly? Sharp wood chisel perhaps for the outer diameter? And maybe a inside-bevel gouge for the inside diameter? Can you tell I'm a woodworker at heart??

Mike

Thread: Moving a Sieg SX3 Mill
23/01/2020 12:06:25

I have just purchased a second-hand Sieg SX3 mill. I have a Honda Civic hatchback that I will be using to move it on Saturday. The seller has an engine crane that we will be using to move it.

Does anyone know how easy it would be to load it into a hatchback? Would it be best if I broke it down, for example if I removed the table and head and loaded these separately? Or perhaps the head and column should stay as one unit due to the electrics?

Any information gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Mike

20/01/2020 17:28:54

I'm sure this is a beginner's question:

I recently purchased the Myford Swarf Guard kit from Hemingway Kits, as illustrated below. I turned the tailstock swarf guard having marked out the bolt circle before I bored the hole for the tailstock barrel. I was wondering how I should transfer these holes to the tailstock casting. I was hoping I could clamp the guard onto the tailstock in some way and drill through, though as the casting is irregular, I'm struggling to find a way to clamp it. Any ideas?

The other concern is that the guard's 1.125" hole needs to be roughly concentric to the 1.116" tailstock barrel to ensure it doesn't rub on the barrel, thereby defeating its purpose of protecting it from wear. Should I use shim stock (about 4.5thou) to centralise it to the barrel?

Hemingway Tailstock Swarf Guard

Any ideas gratefully accepted!

Mike

Edited By Mike Donnerstag on 20/01/2020 17:30:21

Thread: Small tooling for a Super 7 QCTP
01/01/2020 13:58:42

Many thanks to everyone who replied. I drilled the toolholder. Though it was hard, probably case-hardened, it drilled fairly well once centre-drilled. However, I centre-drilled the first hole too large, resulting in the edges of the twist drill breaking off. The second hole was centre-drilled not so deeply, and the drill cut through fine.

Once again, many thanks,

Mike

08/12/2019 18:48:15

That would be a great solution but I'm expecting it to be far too hard to drill.

08/12/2019 18:28:43

I do a lot of work turning very small parts with very small tool bits. To facilitate this, I have an Eclipse 514SL tool holder that takes 3/16” square tool bits, holding them at a slight rake angle. This will easily be accommodated by the standard Myford tool clamp, however I'm trying to find a solution where I could leave the Myford quick change toolpost in place. At 3/4” in height, the Eclipse toolholder unfortunately doesn't fit in the Myford quick change tool post.

Can anyone recommend an alternative to this that I can fit in the standard quick change tool post, or should I machine the Eclipse tool holder down to 12mm to fit (I realise it’s very hard tool steel), or does anyone have a plan for a shop-made tool holder that would fulfil the purpose? Alternatively, is it possible to purchase a similar toolholder that does fit in the Myford QCTP?

70ed52be-c4e5-48ae-b17c-b01bf1862c08.jpeg7f626828-c22c-4e52-9f44-93496ce2530c.jpegd09321ed-8281-4cea-ace2-d512e62c1795.jpeg

eclipse toolholders.jpg

Edited By Mike Donnerstag on 08/12/2019 18:56:13

Thread: Yet another 'which mill shall I buy'
08/11/2019 17:48:50

I've been considering the Sieg SX3 too. I understand that Machine DRO can supply the parts for the DRO, though as the mill is relatively easy to fit scales to (it has a square rather than angled base casting), they sell a 'universal kit' rather than one that is a custom fit. They recommended these to me: https://www.machine-dro.co.uk/dro-packages/universal-dro-packages/with-magnetic-encoders.html.

One advantage with the Sieg is the Z-axis handwheel being at a low level, rather than at the top of the column.

I'd much prefer a second-hand European-made machine, though I haven't found one that compares well to the Sieg, at least so far, as I'm looking for a milling machine with a quill head for drilling. For me, a Bridgeport or clone is far too bulky.

Thread: Milling Machines - Myford vs Sieg
04/11/2019 15:28:14

I think I should have headed this post 'Which Mill/Drill for Under £2000?'.

I can see the benefit of having a variable speed control, as on the Sieg, though its reliability worries me. Has anyone else had problems with the motor control boards?

Thread: Polishing Acetal/Delrin and other plastics
04/11/2019 15:16:04

Many thanks to everyone for all your help and advice.

Just for interest, I ended up putting a bar of 3/8" mild steel in the toolpost to use as a tool rest and hand turning the acetal with a 1/4" woodturning spindle gouge, with the bevel rubbing. The surface ended up polished, albeit very slightly ridged. I was happy with this - far better than the bare bolts I used to open the two side covers on the Myford lathe previously!

I will try the 'flame polishing' technique though, next time I turn acetal.

Once again, many thanks,

Mike

01/11/2019 19:05:37

Many thanks Ian. Just the advice I needed. I’ll give it a try.

Mike

01/11/2019 18:38:42

Can anyone tell me the best way to polish plastics such as acetal once hand-turned in the lathe? I'm just turning some knobs for the Myford lathe.

Many thanks,

Mike

Thread: Milling Machines - Myford vs Sieg
30/10/2019 20:17:55

Thanks for your replies.

Paul: Did you find out why the speed controller failed? I understand it can fail if the emergency stop switch is always used to stop the motor instead of the normal stop.

Alan: I understand the VMB came with a 370W (1/2HP) motor. Do you know the power of the three phase motor installed on your machine? I'm wondering whether this is a hindrance compared to a machine like the Sieg, and whether it could or should be upgraded considering the rest of the machine.

23/10/2019 08:52:36

I am looking into purchasing a milling machine and noticed a Myford VMB machine for sale. However, other than the information given on lathes.co.uk I can't find much information on the machine. Does anyone have a manual for the Myford VMB in a form that could be emailed? Alternatively, does anyone know the capabilities in terms of maximum drill size, etc., for the VMB?

Also, I would be very interested to hear any views on how it might compare to a new Sieg SX3 as they are similarly priced. Obviously the variable speed on the Sieg is an advantage in terms of convenience, but does it have the low-end torque of a belt-drive speed-change machine such as the Myford VMB? Is the electronic speed control of the Sieg something that may be a weak point in the future?

Many thanks in advance,

Mike

Thread: Any other bowmakers on here?
15/10/2019 22:54:15

I wondered whether anyone in the Lincoln area might be going to Midlands Model Engineering Exhibition at the Warwickshire Event centres this weekend and perhaps fancied doing a car share?

Thread: Myford Vice for Vertical Slide
22/09/2019 17:07:49

If any of you were to buy a machine vice for the Myford milling slide from ArcEuro (I have a 10% discount code), which one and what size would you buy?

Many thanks,

Mike

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest