By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David Kenyon 2

Here is a list of all the postings David Kenyon 2 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Need help making a camshaft
05/04/2019 20:03:06

That's great Jason thanks , I presumed the flank had a slight radius, just curious but how do know

the flanks are flat.

05/04/2019 17:47:34

Looking at the timing it shows the crank moves 240 degrees for the inlet and 260 for exhaust so that would be

120 and 130 for the camshaft . On the dials for the jig it states 130 / 140 which confuses me .

Here is the whole plan , you will need to zoom in img_1302.jpg

05/04/2019 17:44:24

Its for a four cylinder Gypsy engine, the plans show that the cam is built up from separate parts ie. the lobes and bearings are machined then Loctite onto the shaft.

Now I understand what a camshaft does and how it operates but I have little knowledge of making one. After some research I feel making the lobes on my mill using small flat cuts with the aid of a rotary table would be the best option for me.

So I need to come up with some figures for the machining process.

The plans show just one lobe as below

img_1296.jpg

There is also a timing guide and some plans for a jig which I am not sure how its used but I assume it may be for a grinding machineimg_1297.jpg

Thread: Making split bronze bearings [ silver soldering ]
28/03/2019 18:20:45

Well I tinned each half with soft solder then clamped them together and re heated.

Worked well, I managed to machine 5 bearings with little trouble although the bar did split on my third bearing

when I drilled out the centre, the drill pulled into the bronze.

I re soldered but this time put a jubilee clip around the outside until I had finished the bore .

22/03/2019 14:05:54

Well thanks for the replies, certainly given me something to think about.

I was worried that the solder on the mating surfaces would compromise the final bearing size

but I see this is not the case.

I will get some solder paste and give that ago first , will let you know how it goes.

21/03/2019 20:52:16

I need to saw a piece of phosphor bronze round bar in half and then solder it back together before machining to size for the split bearings.

My question is, do I put flux on the mating surfaces before clamping together or leave them clean , clamp together and then just run flux along the join.

When the piece is soldered I will need to turn the diameter down so I presume the solder will need to penetrate the join so it stays in one piece.

Thread: What is a good quality lathe paint
21/03/2019 20:36:57

lathe (8).jpgI did my Myford about two years ago, as already said keep the old filler coat on . Once you sand off the paint the filler is easy to sand and you can get a nice finish .

I used HMG Paints C71 enamel **LINK**

Use a good primer , I used HMG again , still looks good today.

lathe (5).jpg

Thread: Line boring question
08/03/2019 15:10:29

Hi , my lathe has not got reverse so is there a way of sharpening a cutter to run in both

directions, I was thinking a single point with a rounded tip. This is so I can use a shorter

bar and reverse it to do each half as suggested in the Benz thread

08/03/2019 10:55:40

I am nearing the stage of line boring my Gypsy casting, I have done all the set up on my Myford saddle and intend to first drill the hole up to 14.5mm then bore out to the correct 5/8 inch [ 15.8750mm].

My question is , what diameter round bar should I make the boring bar out of.

If I use 14mm would that be enough clearance for the cutter or do you think I should drill through 15mm and use a 15 mm bar.

The casting is approx. 7 inches long with 5 main bearings to bore through.

Thread: Straightening a wayward hole
28/02/2019 13:31:37

Thanks everyone, put an End mill through each casting this morning and it actually

cut through really easy . All holes are running parallel now.

I think I will be investing in some quality drill bits now.

27/02/2019 21:01:13

Yes it is the Gypsy , the drill bit was from Screwfix [ Erbauer ] and was new.

I am using my Chester Champion mill to do the drilling , I centre drilled first then followed

with the 2mm drill bit.

I have been getting aluminium sticking to the drill so withdrawing it to clean regularly.

You can not see it on the picture but this is how I discovered the holes tapered inwards.

img_1243 (medium).jpg

27/02/2019 20:15:16

Thanks, I will have a go tomorrow with an End mill .

I have not used castings before and did not realise how hard it can be to

drill through even being aluminium.

27/02/2019 18:14:51

Should I put a M2 mill through or open it up with an M3 .

27/02/2019 17:45:28

I have been machining some main bearing caps today from a casting.

I centre drilled then put a 2mm pilot hole through each cap which will be used to spot through to the crankcase and then opened out to 4mm for the mounting bolts.

Now I have discovered the holes [ 10 of them ] have all run out of true , I suspect I used a badly ground drill bit.

I need to straighten these hole as I open them out to 4mm and was thinking of using a BS1 Centre drill as this is quite stiff and only 1/8 diameter.

What do you think

Thread: A bit of fun and practice.
04/02/2019 14:23:42

Made this Cube inside a cube piece a while ago , it was good to make as I was fairly new to the lathe and needed practice using the dials and grinding lathe toolsp1030328 (medium).jpg

Thread: Looking for 1/4 scale Gypsy build thread and info
26/01/2019 19:30:26

Thanks , I will give the MEM site a go .

25/01/2019 21:21:09

I have some castings and drawings for a 1/4 scale Gypsy 1 Aero engine.

The drawings are 7 large sheets and have ' supplied by A J Reeves ' on them.

I have already started making the crankshaft but feel I may struggle with some details of the plans so a build thread from somewhere would help greatly.

Does anybody know where I might find a build thread online or in a magazine.img_1004 (medium).jpgimg_1164 (medium).jpg

Edited By David Kenyon 2 on 25/01/2019 21:22:01

Thread: 3 cyl Pip engine
25/01/2019 15:37:43

Edited By David Kenyon 2 on 25/01/2019 15:41:39

25/01/2019 15:35:55

So the engine is now complete , unfortunately the carb I bought is not suitable so I need
to find a replacement. The carb I bought is a 'slide' carb and will not fit properly between
the cylinders so I need to buy a rotary versionimg_0065 (medium).jpg

25/01/2019 15:34:08

Using a piece of tool steel ground with a chisel edge I cut the slot for the woodruff key p1040910 (medium).jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest