By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Adam Stevenson

Here is a list of all the postings Adam Stevenson has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Further Adventures with the Sieg KX3 & KX1
13/04/2020 13:26:23

You can use 100x6000 or 350x2000, it is the ratio that matters but once you pick a Step per keep that and the formula is simpler as you don't need to track two changing values like the X, Y, Z and A need.

(Required Vel) = [Screen RPM] X [current Vel] / [Measured RPM]

Once you get the 5,000 max done then you can change the pulley to 7000 max, I suggest not to put a high number as 7,000 is all you want and setting it to 100,000 max could then sending a 70,000 speed that can cause a massive load.

12/04/2020 13:13:25

It was found to be 350 for best results, the velocity is the one important for the spindle. Lots of testing was done with these machines and each one from Arceuro was calibrated to allow a quicker setup by the users.

The actual values are regardless it is the ratio between them that matters. Think that for each 360º the computer sends steps, it is not just how many steps are sent but how fast the amount are sent too. But we are not sending steps but a Voltage that the controller uses to drive the motor at a set speed, they is also a in-built tacho that will increase or decrease the current to keep the speed constance. So at the end it is not the number of steps sent per revolution but the rate at which they are sent. So we pick a nice number and then how fast we send them and balance the ratio between them, in this case 350 x 4,000 or 35 x 40,000 or 3,500 x 400. The computer will have limits so we picked the mid ground that most PC's would work with.

Edited By Adam Stevenson on 12/04/2020 13:16:52

12/04/2020 10:49:12

12/04/2020 10:32:46

Hi Sarah, if you have a parallel (25 pin D connection) Then the pulse will matter as it is common on all motors, USB have in B type and us an internal timer to control the pulse.

The SIEG needs about 5us step pulse for the spindle to drive the motor tacho controller, the Axis motor drivers will run on a smaller step pulse but as they are all the dame value setting it to 5us will be fine. Some computers even needed 6 or 7 depending on the motherboards.

Below is the spindle tuning picture from the old web site for support, so are what the machines are set at and the one you need to change shown using the formula.

(Required Vel) = [Required RPM] X [current Vel] / [Measured RPM]

So if you are setting the speed to 1,000 and getting 1,234 RPM with the default 4,000 Vel you set it to 3241.49 Vel
3241.49 = 1000 * 4000 / 1234

10/04/2020 13:22:26

Ah so the step and dir pulse don't matter, as the breakout has an on-board timer, and they only change a parallel port output. The 4,100 is OK, you can try a few about that speed as it might be a tacho blip point, the reason we used to say 100 rpm at 5,000 was fine.

Sarah if you get chance to set the step pulse to 5us you might have to set it everytime you save the motor tuning. Some computers cannot crate the number of steps but if it has worked on that PC might be a simple mater fudging the values to get a clear signal for the drivers and spindle controller.

10/04/2020 10:52:55

Hi Jason, are you using a USB breakout board?

09/04/2020 19:58:28

Machine yes it will work with good feed rates and tooling but it is the computers that caused the bigger issues we had with support. Entering a 5us might round down because of PC maths working fine while the tuning wizard is open but rounds down when the window closes.

09/04/2020 19:42:28

Try setting it to 5us and the computer will round it down to 4us. They were only rated for 5,000 due to stepping issues. It is down to the PC putting enough steps, both high and low, to drive the spindle at the speed.

09/04/2020 19:05:26

You will need a speed testing device to check the speeds. Click on the config menu and select the Motor Tuning item. This will bring up the Motor Tuning window.
Next click on the spindle button THIS IS IMPORTANT.
Now if the spindle is running slow then you will need to increase the velocity and decrease it to slow it down.
(Required Vel) = [Required RPM] X [current Vel] / [Measured RPM]
Click on SAVE AXIS SETTINGS and then on OK then enter 1000 in the speed DRO and test the spindle with the speed testing device.
You will have to adjust this a few times till it's within 10% (100rpm).
Then test other speeds like 2000, 2500 and 5000 [Older KX3 is 3500 max] again these should be within 10% of the speed if not try adjusting the velocity by just 1 or even 0.1
It pays to check the settings have been saved after any changes as different computers read the XML files differently.

Thread: Homeworkshop
10/05/2019 22:52:16

Nah, they put an electronic one in cus JS kept putting the bar ends in.surprise

10/05/2019 16:24:49

I put the hamster back on the wheel.

Thread: Does anyone know where I can source a Myford 34t change gear?
29/04/2019 18:13:03

I don't think it matters who makes them, marypoppinsbag sold them on ebay and myford tried to get them banned but as it only stated they was Myford compatible no one owns the right to make them or sell them. When Lesley died JS sold them to RDG as well as the few direct customers. You are welcome to list the on HWS.

28/04/2019 13:49:39

I'll let you into a secret, JS made the 33 and 34 out of the same blank so that you could swap them out without having to move the centres. They was a batch made but I don't know where they went.

Thread: Homeworkshop login problem
25/04/2019 14:18:37

Right we have found a work around for the email servers that don't like to tell us that an email is valid or not. We just send it anyway and if the email is not verified by Monday morning it gets deleted. Our server is fast at sending emails so you should get an email within 5 minutes, if not check your junk folder.

25/04/2019 01:59:59

You do not need an account to make an advert, the main reason for an account was the forums which have been deactivated ages ago. All adverts are moderated to stop spam or rules breakers.

21/04/2019 03:16:32

hi Ian, unfortunately some of the email providers block our emails because apparently we are an advertiser that has not decided to sign up, i.e. pay for, their advertising partnership programme or provided an unsubscribe option.

the only suggestion I can make is to add the domain homeworkshop.org.uk and homeworkshop.club your white list, safe senders, approved senders or whatever else your email provider decides to call the white list. Failing that I suggest getting an email address on google.com and adding them to your safe senders list.

You can use a username or email address and password which can be a combination of uppercase and lowercase numerals or symbols and are case-sensitive and for some reason does not recognise O as 0 or vice versa also knows the difference between capital i anda lowercase L.

Thread: Gatwick Drone 'Attack'
22/12/2018 10:00:11
Posted by Clive India on 22/12/2018 09:44:58:

Does beg the question, if the army are there, what chance of finding a source in a real theatre of war if they are unable to get this bunch.

They just find the position to within 50 meters and drop 500lb on it. I think people would get a bit upset if it took out half the neighbourhood.

As for the lasers you would think that the army would be excluded from the ban on having laser pointers within range of the airport. Altho you would need to make sure they was no way they could end up swiping across the terminal block and cooking few holiday makers before they get to the beach.

21/12/2018 00:51:17

They navy didn't bother about this drone, https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-40910087

Edited By Adam Stevenson on 21/12/2018 00:52:00

Thread: scam?
03/12/2018 10:41:28

Handing your card over at aresturant can also lead to the person gaining your details. That is why I like the fact that my bank if I have not used the card at an online site asks me to enter a password that is not need in a store.

Thread: Lead Bearing Solder is Banned
09/11/2018 10:47:26

Wait till they find out how bad dihydrogen monoxide is, every one that comes into contact with it will die at some,point. Too little or too much you die.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest