By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ron Laden

Here is a list of all the postings Ron Laden has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Lathework for Beginners
21/07/2018 15:02:30

I have just discovered that my minilathe is slower in reverse than forward, 2575 rpm forward but only 1800 in reverse, is this normal..?

Ron

Thread: Reducing shank diameter on a reamer.
21/07/2018 14:56:09

No I dont have a collet set either Ian, something that is on my "to get" list. As far as I can tell the bushes seem to have come out quite true, their fit is certainly good but thanks for the tip.

Ron

Thread: LED Strplights
21/07/2018 11:14:31

Talking of LED strip lights, a friend gave me some small cabinet lights, which are great for lighting a machine or part of a bench. I have one fixed about 15 inches above the minilathe and it really does light it up. Apparently about £14 from Screwfix.

dsc05988_edited-1.jpg

Edited By Ron Laden on 21/07/2018 11:15:05

Thread: Reducing shank diameter on a reamer.
21/07/2018 08:48:25

I,m sure your right Hopper, I tested the shank with the edge of a file before I cut it and it didnt seem that hard.

21/07/2018 08:19:35

Thanks guys for all the advice but knowing my 3 jaw is concentric to under 1 thou I thought it worth a try to reduce the shank as the reamer should stay quite true. So using a tipped tool I removed 1.5mm from the shank, it cut quite easily though the finish was not brilliant but that was probably my settings. I tried a HSS tool to give a fine finish cut and surprisingly it worked well.

The bushes are now reamed and I didnt go with turning the chuck by hand but ran the lathe at 50rpm and it worked fine. On checking the reamer it certainly cut and didnt rub and the bearings are a nice fit, so quite pleased.

Thanks again.

Ron

p.s. Well spotted Jason you obviously realised straight away that I was using 5/8 bushes. I would have gone with 16mm but their o/d is larger which would have meant opening up the motor plates and I have no means of doing that. 

Edited By Ron Laden on 21/07/2018 08:53:22

20/07/2018 20:01:34
Posted by not done it yet on 20/07/2018 19:13:13:

Ron,

Explain your problem. There may be better alternatives.

Well the 16mm reamer has a straight shank diameter of 14mm, problem is I have no way of holding it as my tail stock chuck is a 13mm. I thought if I could reduce the shank to say 12mm then it would fit. I have some 16mm bearing bushes that are almost to size, they only need a couple of thou removing and they will be to size.

My intention was to hold the bushes in the 3 jaw and turn it by hand with the reamer in the tail stock chuck.

Ron

Edited By Ron Laden on 20/07/2018 20:02:59

20/07/2018 16:54:03

I have a 16mm machine reamer of which I want to reduce 30mm of the shank diameter by 2mm.

Would a carbide indexed tool cut it or does it need a different approach.

Ron

Edited By Ron Laden on 20/07/2018 16:57:05

Thread: DC motors
20/07/2018 09:34:07

Though connected mechanicalIy, I still think if wired in series and depending on how one motor fails it could create problems for the good motor. In parallel the failure of one motor shouldnt compromise the good one unless of course the motor seized and then through the mechanical connection all would stop.

Of course there is no reason to assume that the motors will fail, they probably wont but its just an "if"

Just my thoughts.

19/07/2018 15:18:16

Gordon,

I would wire the motors from the controller in parallel and run at 24 volts but thats just me, I dont like the idea of wiring them in series but you can of course. Why do you want to half the current..? its not as if its particularly high from the figures you have given. Also running at 24 volt saves the cost of 2 batteries when cost is a deciding factor. Also I dont know if this is a loco or another type of vehicle but depending on the 12 volt battery type 16 to 18 kgs each so a saving of over 30 kgs with 2 batteries instead of 4.

Sorry it sounds as if I am picking faults but I,m not its just that I cant see the benefit of going 4 batteries (cost/weight) - 48 volts and wiring in series. The motors you are using are the same type and model so wiring in parallel the motors will be fine they dont need to be identical, they will be close enough and will work ok.

Re cheap speed controllers, well I have one (Chinese) off Ebay for £15 (40amp) running 4 motors in parallel on the 0-4-0 I am building. It works but yes it has crossed my mind will it burn out or give up once it is working under load but at £15 it has to be worth a try. The link to the better controller on an earlier post is according to the spec "non reversible" by the way so if you need reverse on your vehicle the controller shown is not the one.

regards

Ron

Edited By Ron Laden on 19/07/2018 15:21:08

19/07/2018 12:31:13

Gordon, I,m curious, how are you supplying 48 volts. Most 24 volt motors are run on 24 volt from 2 x 12 volt batteries wired in series, unless you are running 4 x 12 volt of course.

Ron

Edited By Ron Laden on 19/07/2018 12:42:00

Thread: Milling for beginners
18/07/2018 10:52:44

Thanks Ketan,

Belt drive or Gear drive....pros and cons...?

18/07/2018 10:01:42

Point taken Andrew

Thread: Milling for beginners
18/07/2018 09:37:02

I have not looked at mini mills yet in any real detail but a question, do they follow the minilathes in that they are all very similar and coming out of two or three main factories in China. The minilathes (in the same price bracket) dont differ very much in features from one to another, is this the same with the mills.

Ron

Edited By Ron Laden on 18/07/2018 09:37:39

18/07/2018 09:00:58

Hi guys,

I found a few charts on line that give a basic list of cutting speeds for most of the materials we are likely to use. One or two of them list speeds for both HSS and tipped tools which is handy. I was going to print one off and mount it above the lathe as a beginners guide when I wondered is there a chart you guys would recommend.

Ron

Thread: Warco Mini lathe
17/07/2018 15:44:49

I read and watched just about everything I could find on the minilathe before buying one. It did leave me thinking that it was going to be a case of would I be lucky and get a good machine or not. I had seen everything from Very good, Good, Excellent "with some extra work and tuning", OK and Bad down to Rubbish "dont buy one" .

Fortunately it looks as if I was lucky as the lathe seems to have been well set up at the factory. The only things I have done so far (fingers crossed) is centre the tail stock and adjust the rack to make the carriage handwheel smoother.

Ron

17/07/2018 09:36:29

Hi Jack which model is your Warco mini lathe..?

16/07/2018 21:19:06

Thanks Andrew, the advice is much appreciated.

Ron

16/07/2018 12:48:51

Thanks Dave,

I need to make some guide rollers for the loco using 1 inch Nylon 6 bar, I have read that a very sharp HSS tool with a 1/16" tip radius makes a good tool for the job. What about speed..? I can experiment of course but wondered what would be a good starting point.

Ron

Thread: Beware the dreaded GOUT
16/07/2018 12:05:33
Posted by pgk pgk on 16/07/2018 10:03:56:

I doubt many GP's are fully able to keep up to date with all the genetic research and generally plug into NICE or whatever database to fob first call patients off with the simplest answer and hope they don't come back or put up with it.

pgk

Well I have an appointment with my doctor in the morning and I guess I am probably lucky but I have to say that our GP is excellent. I know he wont fob me off, he listens, asks lots of questions, and explains things in detail, he is not one who goes straight to the computer to see what pain killers to give you and then sends you on your way. If any tests are needed he will set all of that up and follow it up afterwards.

The best doctor I have ever had by a long shot.

Ron

15/07/2018 19:53:48

What amazes me about gout is the speed in which it comes along without any indication or symptoms that its on its way. Well that is how its been with me, also my attacks are always at night. I go to bed absolutely fine and less than 5 hours later I wake with a foot feeling like its been hit with a sledge hammer.

Cant wait to get to the doctors.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
Warco
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest