By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ron Laden

Here is a list of all the postings Ron Laden has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Cost effective way of measuring 90degrees very accurately on Milling machine
02/12/2018 14:19:28
Posted by JasonB on 02/12/2018 13:46:07:

Am I missing something but those prisms look so small to me you would have a job measuring with them over a meaningful length.

I don't think there is any cheap way to do it, a bit like needing a better machine to make a good one you need measuring equipment that is better than the tolerance you want to achieve. Do you have an idea of the sort of numbers that will be acceptable to you?

I made this video a few months back an dnever got round to publishing it. Shows the SX2.7 being trammed with a dti over 150mm diameter, followed by checking quill then head movment over 50mm in Y and then in X.

Tram 0.01mm over 150mm

Y quill 0.04mm over 50mm Y head 0.01mm over 50mm

X Quill 0.01 over 50mm Y head 0.02mm over 50mm.

Bear in mind that the action of the rack pushes the quill and that you are using it unlocked, same with the head you can't measure movement without locking it so in both cases figures may be a bit better. Grade B square 0.01mm in 100mm rating. I should also say that I removed the column from the base to lift it onto the bench so did spend about 10mins resetting that, nothing done to quill, head or its gibs.

Machine has cut perfectly well for the things I have done on it but I'm not going to the moon anytime soon.

Thats a damn good set of readings for a new machine that has not had any adjustments to the head, got to be happy with that.

Thread: New Mill - Starter Tooling
01/12/2018 15:56:00

In the last couple of weeks I have purchased 2 x 150mm x 20mm grinding wheels. One standard wheel from Ebay at £14 and a green wheel for carbide at half as much again from a well known supplier.

Both of the wheels run out of true and off centre, do I take it that this is the norm with new wheels and it is expected that they be dressed before use. At the moment I have no means of dressing them and to be fair when they are run up on the bench grinder they seem fine and you cant feel any of the out of true running.The grinder is running fine with no vibration and it doesnt feel out of balance. I did wonder though are they safe to use..?

Ron

Thread: Blackening steel parts
01/12/2018 08:33:52

Thanks again for all the advice guys.

I have ordered 500ml of Patination fluid so I will see how that works out. A question, once the diluted solution has been used can it be kept in a container and used again or is it just a one shot thing.

Ron

01/12/2018 08:29:50

They are HSS

Ron

01/12/2018 07:54:59

The cheapie £4.99 set of countersink bits arrived so I did a quick test on a piece of 6082 which answered some questions.

Do they look cheap..? No Do they look to be cut well..? Yes Do they run true..? Yes

How do they perform..? Well starting with the smallest as number 1. No,s 1, 2 and 4 cut really well (dry) with no issues. No,s 3 and 5 suffered chatter but with adjustments to speed, feed and lubrication they were not too bad. No 6 the largest needed to be run much slower than I would have thought but with some lubrication it cut quite nicely.

So I am pleasantly surprised but of course I havnt tried them on steel as yet and how long they will last could be a different story. Are they worth a fiver..? absolutely, they are worth a fiver for the 2 small ones 6.3 and 8.3mm alone.

dsc06256.jpg

30/11/2018 16:51:30

Well changing the head lever and spring over to a gas strut is well worth the doing, I did mine today. With the spring the head felt quite light at the top of the column but got heavier as the head travelled down the column. With the gas strut it feels the same from top to bottom which is much better. There is one obvious place for fixing the top of the strut to the head but there is a couple of options at the bottom. You can drill and tap the base casting below the column but I was not keen on that as it puts the strut quite away off vertical. The other place is the side wall of the casting at the back end of the Y bed, but the problem there is the back edge of the table runs into the strut and you cant wind the table fully back. You lose approx 20mm of travel and with just 145mm overall thats too much to lose.

So I made up a small mounting bracket and fixed it to the horizontal section of the base which allows the strut to be placed further back and clear of the table. The strut is not quite vertical but its close enough, I,m sure the other two mounting positions work well enough but my thinking was the closer to vertical the better.

dsc06251.jpg

Thread: Cheap carbide inserts - where's the market?
30/11/2018 08:42:06

Well speaking as a beginner I would like to think that most people starting out and with a bit of practice can recognise a good from bad finish, be it turning or milling. You know when you have a really good finish on a job, its just obvious isnt it..? I can see from the video though it could get a beginner off to a bad start as it all looked a bit rough and ready and they could take what was shown as acceptable.

I have seen a couple of his videos regarding mods he did to his mini lathe and they were good. It would probably have been better had he just explained the tool and drill set in this video as it all fell apart once he started using them.

29/11/2018 19:56:34
Posted by Bob Stevenson on 29/11/2018 15:56:28:

The fact remains that these tools compare VERY favourably in side by side tests with those costing many times the price.

Bob if the above is true then unfortunately that video did them no favours at all as the turning and facing looked awful. I have only had my lathe a few months but you soon come to recognise a good and a bad finish but does the operator in the video..? if the revolving centre is not ringing alarm bells it makes you wonder.

Thread: Blackening steel parts
29/11/2018 13:55:24

I dont know that I understand all of that Jon and from what some of the guys have suggested plus the links from Weary I was under the impression that the cold kits do work and not just on tiny parts..?

As for using Whale oil..? I could never do that, even if it was available which I doubt I would not be able to live with myself.

Ron

Edited By Ron Laden on 29/11/2018 14:10:06

29/11/2018 10:45:22

I didnt expect such a response, very much appreciated.

I think it will have to be a cold method as one of the first parts to black will be the 40mm diameter flycutter I am making and I cant see my small gas torch heating all of that to red. Also some of the homemade chemical mixes I dont fancy using but that is just me, I,m sure they work fine.

Thanks again guys

Ron

28/11/2018 16:26:23

Probably a repeat question (sorry) but would appreciate suggestions for obtaining a good durable finish in blackening steel parts. I guess I would prefer a cold method but would consider other methods.

Thanks

Ron

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
28/11/2018 14:10:47

Sorry double post

Edited By Ron Laden on 28/11/2018 14:12:10

28/11/2018 14:10:44

Well not today but I spent most of yesterday evening reading as much as I could find on Cherry Hill. Not until yesterday and seeing her name mentioned on a thread did I know anything about her, I had no idea who she was.

What can one say about her..? well I,m not even going to try other than what a "truly amazing lady" the models are almost beyond belief. I dont know about model engineering which of course it is but her work seems to be on another level, just perfection.

Ron

27/11/2018 14:04:47

This morning I ordered a set of 3 flute 90 degree HSS countersink bits, its a set of 6 sized 6.3mm to 20.5mm. They are straight shanks 6mm and 10mm and they cost £4.99, not each, thats the cost of the set...surprise and free postage.

I know, you are probably thinking what I did when I ordered them but its a bit of a test to see how good or bad they are for a fiver. If they are as bad as I suspect they may be then they can join the woodworking tools. If they can make a half decent job of cutting aluminium it will be something.....will let you know.

Ron

Edited By Ron Laden on 27/11/2018 14:05:23

Edited By Ron Laden on 27/11/2018 14:06:36

Thread: Mars Insight has Landed
26/11/2018 20:14:13

Do they think it is all ok or is it too early to say.

Thread: Milling for beginners
26/11/2018 17:59:26
Posted by JasonB on 26/11/2018 16:30:02:

Ron, you have not been doing your homework and catching up on the Milling for Beginners seriessmile p

Part 3 Photo 31. or one of these

Thanks Jason, I have caught up having read all the series so far, I will probably go back and read them all again so it sinks in..smiley

Excellent series by the way.

Ron

26/11/2018 14:21:08

Might be a daft question Jason but in the picture of the screw in the collet, what is the collet chuck fitted to, is it a table mounted vertically on the mill..?

Edited By JasonB on 26/11/2018 16:30:34

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
26/11/2018 08:58:23

This morning was a bit of pre Christmas shopping.

Some round steel bar to make the 40mm flycutter from and a 3/4" thick 6082 blank for the rotary table plate. Some T nuts, 12mm and 16mm collets, a T slot cutter and a 8mm flycutter tool bit. Also a gas strut to replace the mills torque lever arm.

Well one has to have a few treats now and then..smiley

Thread: 'shop tip from 1921
25/11/2018 13:19:16

When we were kids (young teenagers) we used to make a basic 3 ingredient black powder, the fun we had with that. How none of us suffered serious injury I dont know, I could also tell you how to make a simple marble gun but they are seriously dangerous so I had better not....surprise

Edited By Ron Laden on 25/11/2018 13:25:53

25/11/2018 09:41:00
Posted by JasonB on 21/11/2018 12:24:08:

20deg slot in the head. Make slot say 1mm wider than toolbit and aim to have edge of tool bit on ctr of holder so for a 6mm sq cutter slot will be 1mm one side and 6mm the other side of ctr.

12 or 16mm shank to fit your collet and about a 40mm head diameter.

As my man says, flycutting and how to grind a flycutter bit in the next MEW which is due to hit your screens any day now.

Jason, do you think a 10mm shank would be ok or too small..? its just that I have a 10mm collet but if I need to get a larger one its no problem.

Ron

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
cowells
Allendale Electronics
EngineDIY
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest