By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ron Laden

Here is a list of all the postings Ron Laden has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Flycutters: help to understand 3 different types
10/12/2018 12:57:31
Posted by Mick B1 on 10/12/2018 10:55:36:
Posted by BW on 10/12/2018 10:18:56:

I cannot figure out which part of your cutter contacts the work and cuts it, your bottom edge looks almost horizontal to me.

I thought the same on looking at the pic. I'd want to back off the bottom edge to give it a bit of trail clearance angle and prevent the trapping of bits of swarf against previously-cut surface. But then the flycutters I use in the lathe are very much less rigid.

It does look like that in the previous picture but the picture below shows the angle with the tip touching the surface of the work piece. It is shallow and this is the standard ARC tool (unmodified) fitted to the seat which I put in at 20 degrees. I could mod the cutter or it would be simple to add another 5 degrees to the seat but I,m not inclined too as it flycuts just fine, I had no issues with swarf.

dsc06304.jpg

10/12/2018 07:31:25

A good cutter and the right combination of speed and feed certainly can produce a good finish, pleased with what I got.

A question: how will a HSS bit cope with flycutting silver steel, thought I would ask before I try.

dsc06298.jpg

09/12/2018 14:46:57

Seeing Jasons figures I roughed out the feed rate I used timing the turns of the handwheel as I used on the test piece. I was running a bit slower at approx one turn per one and a half seconds so somewhere in the region of 100mm per minute.

09/12/2018 14:11:47

The flycutter I finished this morning, 40mm diameter, 16mm shank, 20 degree angle tool mount, fitted with an ARC HSS tool bit.

dsc06288.jpg

Gave it a test run and it cuts really nice, tried it on some 6082 and I couldnt want for a better finish, very pleased with it. Ran it at 650rpm and feed wise I couldnt tell you but it was steady, I tend to go with what feels and sounds right.

dsc06291.jpg

Thread: New Mill - Starter Tooling
09/12/2018 10:38:50
Posted by Ketan Swali on 09/12/2018 10:19:03:

Looks Good Ron,

Thanks for the plug with the tool bit logo. Just make sure to turn the logo bit side around so that it is inside... in contact with the grub screws in this particular case.... so that the correct side is facing out for the purpose of fly cutting.

Ketan at ARC

Well spotted Ketan, picture below with tool in correct orientation, well it is Sunday morning..smiley

dsc06288.jpg

09/12/2018 10:03:51

A new weapon for the armoury, finished the flycutter, well apart from blacking it. Something very satisfying about making tooling.

dsc06282.jpg

Thread: Mini-Lathe Repair
08/12/2018 20:24:42

A picture of the metal gear set I have ordered, not as coarse as the original metal gears there is 50% more teeth. So fingers crossed that these will run well and not be too noisy, they are said to be much quieter than the old set.

cj18a hilo mg.jpg

Edited By Ron Laden on 08/12/2018 20:25:28

Thread: 1:50 Scale Road Traction Living Van
08/12/2018 18:42:18
Posted by Bill Chugg on 08/12/2018 18:13:18:

Kit on ebay 262090978800 but not sure if right scale ?

Can you tell me what your scale is as do not understand this 1: 50 thing.

Is it roughly gauge 1, or gauge 0 or gauge 00 ?

Thanks

Bill

0 gauge is the closest Bill and in particular the American 0 gauge 1:48 (1/4 inch to a foot)

Ron

08/12/2018 11:12:55

Oh dear Geoff, I hope this thread is not a harbinger of doom and start a spate of mini-lathe problems..indecision

In your case the good thing is you should quickly find the problem, at least you dont have to strip down half the machine to find the problem...good luck with it.

Ron

Edited By Ron Laden on 08/12/2018 11:13:18

08/12/2018 10:49:35
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 08/12/2018 10:41:50:

> The keyway on the existing pully is 3.9mm wide and 1.9mm deep,

Not 5/32" wide and 5/64" deep by any chance?

Imperial bits sneak into the oddest places

Neil

Probably is Neil, I just measured it with the vernier in metric.

Edited By Ron Laden on 08/12/2018 10:49:59

08/12/2018 07:58:20

I have ordered the new type metal gear set and a poly vee drive belt to replace the timing belt. I will need to make a motor drive pully and the layshaft pully. The motor pully is fitted with a grub screw and the layshaft pully has a keyway and secured with a circlip, I plan on copying that on the two new ones which will save any mods to the layshaft.

Having no experience of multi vee belts or cutting keyways, this is what I am thinking but please shout if I have it wrong. I am guessing that the depth of the rib grooves in the pully will need to be cut just shy of the depth of the belt rib, too deep and the belt at the base of the ribs will contact and the ribs wont..?

The keyway on the existing pully is 3.9mm wide and 1.9mm deep, I was thinking of drilling a 3.9mm hole before I put the hole in for the shaft and positioned to give a depth of 1.9mm from the edge of the shaft hole if that makes sense..? After the shaft hole is in I would then use a square needle file and square out the keyway, it will be around 13mm long and the material is 6082.

Ron

07/12/2018 21:13:57
Posted by JasonB on 07/12/2018 21:00:32:

13" may be the closest, slightly larger dia pulley would take up the slack if you can't move the motor enough

Brilliant Jason, thanks a lot, there is plenty of motor adjustment so I think that belt will be ideal.

Ron

07/12/2018 20:52:26

Would anyone know of a source/supplier for the multi vee belts and pulleys, it is only a small belt 102mm diameter/320mm long. I was thinking a J2 section which from what I,ve read is 2.34mm rib centres and 4 ribs would give me a belt approx 10mm wide. I found a couple of belts at near enough the right length but they are only 2 ribs which is too narrow. From what I,ve seen so far pulleys could also be a problem but I guess I could make my own.

Just wondered if anyone knows of a supplier that offers a good range of belts and pulleys in the smaller sizes.

Thread: Vickers Bl 8 inch Howitzer cannon of 1917
07/12/2018 18:50:19

Glad you have started a build thread on this Mal, I will follow with interest as its nice to see something different.

Ron

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
07/12/2018 17:07:57
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 07/12/2018 13:11:42:
Posted by Ron Laden on 07/12/2018 08:03:51:

Andrew, you know what the perfect vehicle would be..? a van based horse box. It wouldnt need to be a big one, say transit size. The long wheel base ones have a small living/sleeping area behind the front seats, plus you get plenty of space in the back and even a fold down ramp for driving the engine in and out, perfect.

In one sense yes. But I don't really want the expense of running two vehicles. And to be honest I don't see myself doing much, if any, rallying so I wouldn't need overnight accommodation. If the worst did come to the worst I could sleep in an enclosed trailer. I spent a week sleeping in a glider trailer some years ago, after my tent decided it was no longer waterproof, so a trailer would be no hardship. smile

Andrew

Probably best anyway Andrew as you do realise that jodhpurs and riding boots are mandatory if you have a horsebox and I bet you cant see yourself in those..surprise

07/12/2018 15:42:31

The plot thickens !

I was about to order a replacement set of the plastic gears, I was on the Amadeal site (they supplied my lathe) when I noticed that their metal gear set looked different. Looking at the spec they had quite a lot more teeth than the plastic ones, 50% more in fact, so I gave them a call. They said that their metal gear sets have had the number of teeth increased to reduce the noise associated with the old set which were just a copy of the plastic ones. They claim that the new metal set is still not as quiet as the plastic ones but not far behind and a vast improvement over the old metal set.

The plastic layshaft gears are 12T/20T and the spindle gears 21T/29T which in the Amadeal new metal set have become 18T/30T and 31T/43T. So thats put the cat amongst the pigeons as I am thinking of giving them a try, though I wouldnt do it without the mod to the belt drive.

07/12/2018 14:16:40
Posted by JasonB on 07/12/2018 13:35:50:

Ron, the other option is to bypass the layshaft entirely and pop a big 3-phase motor on it that drive sthe spindle directly like this bodger haswink 2

Wow, that is some motor, its a bit too scary for me though, plus 3 phase and associated electrickery that scares me even more.

07/12/2018 11:11:58

Hi Neil

Just so I am on the right footing do I take it that the gears are nylon and if so is lubricant detrimental to them..?

Ron

07/12/2018 10:49:03

Removed the gears from the head and you can see in the picture the small gear lost 4 teeth plus it broke at the keyway as Jeff said, the larger gear lost one tooth.

Jason,s idea of replacing the timing belt with a multi vee belt sounds a good mod to me and certainly worth a try. I will see if I can search out a belt and pulleys that would suit. If anyone knows of a source of small multi vee belts and pulleys it would be appreciated.

Ron

dsc06281.jpg

07/12/2018 08:35:47

Jason, the multi vee belt could be a good idea for the plastic gears also, using the plastic would save the noise of the metal ones and the bit of slack in the belt move the weak link from the gears to the belt...what do you think..?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
cowells
Allendale Electronics
EngineDIY
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest