By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ron Laden

Here is a list of all the postings Ron Laden has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Spot Facing With Slot Drill?
17/05/2020 14:34:10

Thought I would have a go and make up a spot facing tool to suit the M4 nuts I have, it turned out ok, though I think I will reduce the diameter as I prefer it a bit tighter to the nut than I have it at the moment.

It was the first time I have hardened any silver steel but it seems to have gone ok, it cuts cast iron quite easily and fairly clean to. I was lazy this morning, I was going to file the teeth but did it all on the lathe and mill in the end.

img_20200517_111715.jpg

Thread: Setting up a Mini Mill & Stuart 10V Machining
16/05/2020 08:54:04

Can I suggest you go to M-machine for your steel just to be sure what you get is as ordered. Excellent service, good pricing and they carry a large selection of material. If you go to their website you can download the catalogue and you will see the various grades listed against the types of material.

The 10mm cutter I used in the video is from the ARC premium range HSS 3 flutes TIAIN coated £10.36.

Ron

Thread: Spot Facing With Slot Drill?
16/05/2020 07:44:53

That's a good tip Jason, thanks I will remember that one. When hardened is the hardness of the silver steel similar to that of a standard drill bit.?

Edited By Ron Laden on 16/05/2020 07:45:21

16/05/2020 06:38:12

That finish is how I imagine it would look if the cause was vibration but I am guessing, I'm sure others will know.

15/05/2020 18:18:17

I was running my 10mm cutter at 1500 rpm and all seemed well.

15/05/2020 09:49:33

I could be wrong but I suspect the problem is the cutter, a bit of video below of my SX2P with some 8mm gauge plate and a 10mm 3 flute HSS cutter from the ARC premium range. With your comment about the sound of your machine I copied your 0.1mm cut for you to compare and then a 0.5mm cut followed by a 0.75mm final cut.

Speed 1500 rpm which I know is a bit fast but the mill and cutter seemed to like it, the sound and feel of the cut was better than at 1200 and with a very good finish I would have thought not much can be wrong.

Off camera I did try a basic 10mm 4 flute cutter which didnt sound too good on a 0.1mm cut though it left a half decent finish but a 0.5mm cut was a no go, sounded awful and part way into the cut is was struggling so I gave up.

14/05/2020 16:58:50

Just out of interest clock the taper on the inside of the spindle, my SX2P has 0.01mm runout and its done a lot more work than yours. You should be seeing similar or even better, though I suspect 0.01mm is pretty darn good for a small hobby mill and probably wouldnt get any better.

Ron

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2020
13/05/2020 17:32:38

Wow, that is small Jason but the top bevel 12T at 5.6mm that is tiny, it would be getting into magnifying glass territory for my eyes.

Impressive.

Thread: Ron's Jowitt Popett Valve Engine
13/05/2020 16:50:46

Good idea Jason I will give that a try.

I didnt make too good a job of the flywheels did I, they are annoying me. I should have set them up to the inside of the rim or as close as you can before machining the outside but I didnt. The outside of the rims run true enough but its amazing how the out of true inner grabs your eye.

Oh well you live and learn, at least the entablature wheel wont have that problem.

Edited By Ron Laden on 13/05/2020 17:19:40

13/05/2020 16:19:37

Thanks Jim, I am on to the next one actually, I,m half way through Jasons Entablature and thats a nice build also.

Ron

13/05/2020 15:49:01

A bit of video of the Jowitt running on the new compressor, no sound I,m afraid as the compressor is so noisy it drowns the engine sound. I need to get an airline extension to get the compressor outside the workshop. I had another problem in that the in line regulator developed a leak so had to remove it from the line which left me trying to control the engine on the compressor regulator. Also had to hold down the engine to stop it walking across the bench, it hasnt got its base fitted yet. Anyway enough of my excuses at least the video does show the engine has a good turn of speed with the better delivery of air.

Thread: Bending 1/8" Steel Plate
13/05/2020 05:27:24

Simples just use the 3 pin/bar method, cut 3 pieces of steel bar in your case about 1 inch diameter or use whatever you have its not critical and tape them to your vice see pic below.

Place your steel between them making sure its horizontal and the 3 bars are vertical but again not super critical. Tighten the vice until you achieve the required angle. Your 7/8" x 1/8" bar will bend easily in your large vice with little effort.

A pic below of a quick set to give you the idea, no heating, cutting or bashing.

p. s. If you want a tighter bend just close up the centres between the 3 pins and use a smaller dia on the single pin though depending on the angle it may need spacing off to allow clearance between the bar and fixed jaw. Also if you want more of an angle you can use larger dia pins to give more clearance between the vice Jaws. 

Ronf

img_20200513_045351.jpg

Edited By Ron Laden on 13/05/2020 05:33:36

Edited By Ron Laden on 13/05/2020 05:41:45

Edited By Ron Laden on 13/05/2020 06:05:34

Thread: Another Engine Build
12/05/2020 16:40:27

Ah you mean my F1 Jowitt Jason..smiley yes I have and it gets quite a lick on at full pressure, I will see if I can get a bit of video tomorrow. The only problem is it will have to be without sound until I get an extension airline to get the compressor out of the shop, noisy is not the word so with the compressor close by the engine would be drowned out.

Thread: Soba rotary table
12/05/2020 14:34:20
Posted by BOB BLACKSHAW on 12/05/2020 10:47:41:

Question about the 5 inch Soba rotary table. My hand wheel seemed a bit slack so decided to adjust by instruction on the service manual. I have now got rid of the slack and feels better, but the grub screw on the side that's 90 deg to the worm lock tee screw what is this for. I screwed it in and lost the grub screw in the mechanism but luckily it was still held on to the allen key so I could unscrew it, but it doesn't seem to do anything. as its not shown or explained what its for. Also the instructions show a diagram with a screw A and B with a steel ball, I cant find a steel ball on my rotary table. Sorry if I'm a bit thick but if I'm show something I've got it but reading these instructions has got me confused, Why also is the clamping on the table can take 12mm bolt but give 8mm bolts there seems a lot of space I would of thought 8mm plus slots would have been better, and on the side of the rotary table there is not enough space for a 12mm nut if you wanted to have one as only enough room for half a nut, same with the tailstock slot to take 12mm. I understand that its cheap but with a bit of thought and no expense on manufacture it could of been made better.

Bob

Edited By BOB BLACKSHAW on 12/05/2020 10:59:14

I can only go by my table Bob but I think you have the same model as me.

If you measure the T slots on the table they are 10.8mm wide and the supplied T nuts have a threaded shoulder which is 10.3mm diameter so there is only 0.5mm overall clearance in the slot when the T nuts pull up on tightening, this also centres the M8 stud.

Also the steel ball you say is missing is between grub screw A and grub screw B and is a protector/lock for the inner screw B. Inner screw B adjust the mesh of the worm gear, so to adjust B you have to remove screw A and the ball, adjust and then refit ball and screw A. Its all shown in a diagram and there is an explanation of how to adjust.

p.s. If you screwed the grub screw A all the way through the hole then that would mean screw B and the steel ball are missing..?

Edited By Ron Laden on 12/05/2020 14:49:11

12/05/2020 13:40:03

Hi Jason,

Yes its certainly coming along, I have the valve parts to finish then make the piston, eccentric parts, bearing pedestals and conrod and I will be about there. Really enjoying the build and I have the Jowett to finish of course but thats only a prep and paint and thought I would save that and finish both together.

At this rate I could soon be looking at engine number 4..wink

Ron

12/05/2020 09:48:06

Turned the steel pulley this morning, I dont know what spec the steel is but remember getting it out of the offcuts bin at a machine shop I visited. Probably the nicest steel to machine that I have had to date, excellent to part off also.

dsc07649.jpg

12/05/2020 05:37:54

This morning just as a quick test I put up a piece of 8mm gauge plate on my SX2P and tried a 0.5 mm deep edge cut using a 10 mm 3 flute HSS TIAIN cutter from the ARC premium range.

No issues at all the mill sounded and felt fine which is something I always go by. I went with 1250 rpm and a steady not too fast feed. I tried it at slower speeds but it was best at 1250. A picture below of the finish which I can't detect with my finger nail so good enough I think.

p. s. I forgot to say going by the hanwheels my machine has 0.2 mm backlash which never gives me any problems and with the DRO, s I am lazy and tend to ignore it. Also I sometimes climb mill for a better finish but nothing too heavy. I guess I really should try to reduce the backlash before it catches me out. 

img_20200512_044146.jpg

Edited By Ron Laden on 12/05/2020 05:58:51

Edited By Ron Laden on 12/05/2020 05:59:52

11/05/2020 16:44:31

With the columns finished I assembled some of the parts to see how things were looking, seems to be going together well enough, pleased with it so far.

dsc07642.jpg

11/05/2020 09:50:05

Columns assembled, just waiting for the adhesive to dry and then back on the lathe to all be faced to length. The squares are a mix of brass and aluminium, I used material from the ends/offcut box and the columns are painted so they will be fine.

dsc07638.jpg

Edited By Ron Laden on 11/05/2020 09:50:41

10/05/2020 13:33:00

Hi Bob,

I tend to get most of my material from M-machine, great service, pricing is good and they cut to what size you want. Its priced either per foot or for larger sizes or more expensive material priced per inch. They have a vast range of material and sizes so for instance the base plate in the photo is from a 12 inch length of 4 inch x 1/2inch alu and the entablature plate is from a 12 inch of 100mm x 6mm alu which I reduced to 5mm thickness.

I also tend to buy smaller sizes of ground rod, free cutting steel, brass etc from GLR Kennions, they also offer good service though they are a bit more expensive than M-machine but they were the first supplier I used when I started and like the thought that you may be helping keep the smaller suppliers in business.

Ron

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
cowells
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest