By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ron Laden

Here is a list of all the postings Ron Laden has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Class 22 Diesel (next project)
28/07/2019 10:32:50

They say that variety is the spice of life and although the class 22 is the main project at the moment mainly because it will come together quite quickly. I will be filling in with parts for the TE and I was working on a few ideas for it yesterday. Just to add to the workload and not fully decided yet but I may also fit in the part drawn below and slowly, slowly make some parts to go with it as I like the look of the finished item, but what is it..?

I think I know a man who will know exactly what it is..smiley

scose-01.jpg

Edited By Ron Laden on 28/07/2019 10:33:40

Thread: New Mill - Starter Tooling
27/07/2019 20:45:10

Bob,

Thanks for the link, the guy went for the front of the table so not to lose any travel. I am still going to fit the DRO at the back, using a 25 x 20mm piece of angle as a swarf cover I lose 15mm of travel but I am ok with that. The thing I dont like about fitting to the front is you lose access to the gib screws and the table locking handle.

He also went with a 500mm DRO which meant a mounting extension added to the end of the table. I have ordered a 300mm which covers the length of X travel or at least it will the way I use the mill. The spec for the table is 330mm of longitudinal travel but I try not to go further than 280mm, though if required I may stretch it to 300mm which keeps the table in full contact with the length of the gib. If you wind the table fully to one end there is an awful lot of unsupported table hanging in the breeze and on only 3/4 of the gib. To consider that with a heavy lump mounted to it plus machining forces I dont think bodes well not on a mini mill anyway.

I,m sure you know Bob that the DRO,s are not swarf or coolant proof and need protection which is easily done with a length of thin angle running the length of the scale. Its easy with the X and Y but not so the Z, with the scale column mounted and the connecting bracket to the side of the head its not possible to fit an angle to the front of the scale. I havnt to date seen any Z mounted scales with any protection but I have an idea which I,m going to try, if it works I will let you know.

Ron

27/07/2019 13:47:35

NDYI, I have not added the tooling up but you are correct, it does amount to more than I paid for the mill. I think it easy to forget you can buy a machine at a good price but the cost doesnt stop there, far from it in fact.

Yes I have gone with the basic DRO,s but that is governed by price really £120 is as much as I wanted to spend just at the moment but I think they will be fine for the work I have coming up shortly. Re the rotary table since the picture was taken I have got myself a much better quality RT which has a dividing set, the RT in the pic is just a cheapie.

The QCTP that was with the 918 lathe comes with a dozen holders, like you I would never have bought that many but I wont complain. Also I have a rear tool post on the 918 plus I fitted one to the back of the mini lathe which transformed parting off.

BOB

Early days with the 918 lathe but I am using the belt tensioner and to be honest the pressure it applies doesnt seem that much, dont know if it has been modified or not but it seems fine. The previous owner said that he cant remember the age of the belt but it is a good number of years ago, so fingers crossed.

I am interested to hear you say that there is no room for the DRO at the back of the SX2P, I assume you are talking about the X at the back of the table..? If so that surprises me as that is where I am going to fit it, I have worked out a swarf cover and the brackets etc and dont envisage a problem but maybe I,m missing something..?

Yes I would like to see the picture of the DRO fitted to your mill and also learn more about why it wont fit at the rear.

Thanks

Ron

Edited By Ron Laden on 27/07/2019 13:49:46

27/07/2019 10:41:15
Posted by BOB BLACKSHAW on 27/07/2019 10:03:59:

I've noticed your workshop is not insulated Ron, your tools will get damp over winter.

My shed has been lined with just reflective bubble, and now three winters with a small blow heater no damp.

The insulation is easy to put up, cheap, and really effective,

Bob.

Edited By BOB BLACKSHAW on 27/07/2019 10:05:15

Pictures on this thread Bob are taken in the old workshop, I am now in the 5 star shop which is fully lined with 50mm polystyrene sheets...smiley see below. I also have a massive 42 square feet of space, oh the luxury of it all I just dont know myself. I am even thinking of adding a kettle..wink

dsc06793.jpg

Edited By Ron Laden on 27/07/2019 10:52:18

26/07/2019 16:21:53

It has taken me 8 months since getting the mill but I have just ordered a set of 3 DRO,s from ARC. I have some jobs coming up on the class 22 which will be easier with DRO,s so thought I had better pull my finger out and get them fitted.

Thread: Which Stuart models can be done on a 7x14 lathe with no mill?
26/07/2019 14:12:30

Well done Ben they will get you started and provide some practice, have you asked manufacturing to start a "Ben Box" i.e. save offcuts and ends for you, can never have enough material.

26/07/2019 08:31:35

Working on the design this morning I wondered if I was proficient in CAD would it make things much easier..?. I fear though I am too long in the tooth to start now and I dont have a leaning towards computers. So its paper and pencil which I understand and for me it seems to work, though I dont produce proper drawings (unless I put something out) but more in the way of working sketches.

dsc06803.jpg

Edited By Ron Laden on 26/07/2019 08:31:58

Thread: Which Stuart models can be done on a 7x14 lathe with no mill?
26/07/2019 07:49:51

Ben, yes when we meet re the lathe it would be good to see the kits, thanks

Ron

25/07/2019 20:33:41

I dont know the first thing about stationary engines but I stumbled across the Stuart website this afternoon. I was surprised at the range of engines they do and impressed with the un-machined casting kits, I didnt look closely at the more expensive larger engines but had a look at some of the smaller ones. I also thought that the casting kits would just be a set of castings but as I am sure a lot of you guys know they come with the brass and steel bar stock, drawings, gaskets and fastenings etc, very impressed with that.

Edited By Ron Laden on 25/07/2019 20:34:33

Thread: My new lathe a Warco 918
25/07/2019 14:58:18

Thanks Dave, I certainly think it is a bargain, I guess it was the "Second Hand Elderly Chinese" part that put people off.

Well the mini lathe is sold and I did remember to remove the ad from the "For Sale" listing.

Ron

Thread: Surplus subjects learnt at school.
25/07/2019 09:21:27

The one subject I was not too fond of was "the headmasters cane" it must have been regarded as a subject as it was taught in a lesson..? Just before applying the punishment he always said "right boy, here is a lesson you wont forget in a hurry".

And yes I did suffer it on a couple of occasions..sad arguing your innocence was futile, he considered that if you had been sent to his office you were 100% guilty.

Edited By Ron Laden on 25/07/2019 09:28:39

Thread: ARC NCIH Part Off Blade
24/07/2019 13:56:30

I dont have any insert type parting tools, all my parting is done with HSS.

I went to a rear tool holder on the mini lathe and using a 3/32 HSS blade it transformed parting off, the 918 I have just got also has a rear post. Using the front tool post I dont go any bigger than 1.5mm but again HSS.

I think Neil hit the nail on the head when he said its all about "confidence" I think that is so true, you just have to be brave and go for it, no hesitating just keep feeding it makes a world of difference.

Is it generally the case that the insert tools are superior to HSS for parting, I have thought about getting some but to date I have not.

24/07/2019 08:49:11

Nick, actually I will not be machining it round the complete one piece buffer assy is coming out of 50mm bar so it starts off round.

Ron

24/07/2019 08:02:10

Thanks Duncan

I sketched out the shape which is stretched a bit, I think machine it round and then cut and file to shape is going to be the easiest.

dsc06796.jpg

23/07/2019 13:48:53

As per the 0-4-0 I intend to machine the buffers in aluminium - all one piece not sprung. The 0-4-0 buffers turned out well but its not quite as simple with the class 22 as the buffer plates are not round but elliptical.

I have thought of machining them round then scribe around a template and file them to shape but it would be nice to machine them if I can, but how..? I also thought of making them round and then mount them on the rotary table and cutting with a large radius machine the two horizontal edges and then with a smaller radius machine the ends. That would still mean blending in (I think) as the two mating radius would not generate the correct shape.

So still thinking about it but if anyone cass pass on any tips or methods of manually machining an ellipse it would be appreciated.

Thread: My new lathe a Warco 918
23/07/2019 08:41:22

Pleased with the low speed torque the lathe has, did a bit of a test this morning to check.

With the belt in low range the speed will come down to 35 rpm but I increased it to 50 rpm thinking it would add a bit more torque for the test and 50 rpm is quite slow.

I put up a piece of aluminium and used a standard knife tool.

Started with a 1.00mm cut, no issues and held 50 rpm, 2.00mm cut again no problems and speed dropped to 48 rpm, 3.00mm cut speed dropped to 47 rpm but no hesitation at all.

Put up a piece of free cutting steel, 1.00mm cut held 50 rpm no probs, 1,50mm cut dropped to 48 rpm and a 2.00mm cut dropped to 46 rpm but again no hint of a stall.

I was quite impressed with that, I dont want to abuse the lathe pushing it too far and the above was just a test but nice to know the lathe has good torque at low speed.

Thread: Hi i am new to model engineering
23/07/2019 08:14:10

Hi Neil, some nice modelling there, good detail and atmosphere, didnt know you had a layout.

Allison, I thought the layout plan looked more towards one for operating trains but there will be a good number of small areas where you can add your scenics, keep us updated as it progresses.

Ron

22/07/2019 16:24:37

Hi Allison

Welcome to the forum, I,m sure any questions you have re your lathe will find answers from forum members, there are a good number of very experienced people here.

I hope you dont mind but can I just mention a couple of points re your layout plan, that is an awful lot of track and would be considered quite complex as layouts go. Nothing wrong with that but have you considered the scenics as there doesnt look to be much space left for adding scenery..? It may be of course you want to concentrate on running trains which is fine but if you do want a scenic layout it is amazing how much space you need for it.

Regards

Ron

Thread: More Workshop space, shall I or not..?
22/07/2019 07:42:21

Just as you guys suggested any extra space doesnt last long especially when you add a larger machine.

Its not too bad at the moment, once the mini lathe is gone I will be left with 15 sq feet of bench space and I built the 0-4-0 in not much more than 4 sq feet of bench so ok "for now" how long it will last however....?

dsc06793.jpg

Thread: Further Adventures with the Sieg KX3 & KX1
21/07/2019 18:41:31
Posted by JasonB on 21/07/2019 17:09:19:

Nothing too exciting this weekend, just used the KX3 to profile and drill the cylinder flange for the Little Midget engine. If anyone wants to see the video then shout and I'll upload it.

From this round flange

To this

J

I would like to see the video if I may Jason

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Advertise With Us
Eccentric July 5 2018
Meridienne Sept 2019
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest