By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ron Laden

Here is a list of all the postings Ron Laden has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Electric Traction Engine
17/03/2021 07:18:08

Spoke with our recycling centre and no they won't let me have a cylinder, a pity as they had at least 20 of the 4.5kg size and some looked like new. So onward with my search for a cylinder.

16/03/2021 08:14:38

Thanks Jason

I,m sure they will be ok then.

Will now try and talk our recycling centre into letting me have an old bottle but maybe they won't, probably come down to health and safety.

16/03/2021 07:57:49

I was pointed to the PYRTE which had the rear wheel rims cut out of a 240mm gas cylinder, they looked a bit thin 2.0 - 2.5mm maybe but a good starter.

Thread: Two or three axis DRO
16/03/2021 07:16:03
Posted by Gerhard Novak on 15/03/2021 20:37:09:

Back to my single axis z-axis problem on the SX2. This is what you see when you in front of the machine

original z-axis indicator.jpg

The depth indicator is well hidden behind the motor control. Lets have a closer look.

hard to read while working.jpg

I have to say I am not acrobatic enough to read that while lowering the drill (not such a problem when milling, as you normally use the fine feed)

Solution: A cheap, battery powered single axis DRO. Now already in position. Using the screws which held the millimeter scale I need only one extra hole to fix the sensor in position. The brass strip making the connection between sensor and milling head is using the hole where the old, mechanical indicator was fixed.

new low cost DRO.jpg

And finally the screen. There are several possibilities to fix it, I just used the magnets on the back to fix it to the column. In case it is in the way I can always move it to somewhere else.And the DRO screen.jpg

This made my day, a quick fix for £30.

Edited By Gerhard Novak on 15/03/2021 20:38:16

Edited By Gerhard Novak on 15/03/2021 20:41:26

Gerhard,

Can I suggest that the display is not in an ideal place fixed to the front face at the base of the column. It's in a direct firing line for swarf/cutting oil etc, ti's up to you of course.

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2021
15/03/2021 07:01:34

Nice work Jason, is this an engine your refurbishing..?

Thread: Electric Traction Engine
14/03/2021 09:24:51
Posted by Ron Laden on 14/03/2021 08:52:17:

Could anyone with a 4.5kg butane cylinder confirm it's diameter at 240mm, I think it should be but it would be good to know for sure.

Thanks

Ron

I am probably pushing my luck now but has anyone cut one open and would happen to know the material thickness?

14/03/2021 08:52:17

Could anyone with a 4.5kg butane cylinder confirm it's diameter at 240mm, I think it should be but it would be good to know for sure.

Thanks

Ron

Thread: Class 37 Locomotive Suspension Springs
14/03/2021 06:50:13

I just took a simple approach for my class 22 suspension springs which copies how I sprung my 0-4-0 shunter. I use die springs and on the shunter I went with springs that are approx 30% pre loaded when the battery is fitted and ready to run. I have 12mm of travel in the suspension so the springs are compressed by 4mm leaving 8mm for operation.

The shunter has excellent traction, no spinning so I have based the 22 suspension on the same hoping it will run just as well. Obviously the 22 is bigger and heavier than the shunter so the spring strength is rated accordingly but still with the 30% pre load.

Edited By Ron Laden on 14/03/2021 06:51:24

Thread: Dremel type cutting discs
13/03/2021 08:00:17

The Dremel Speedclick mandrel and discs arrived and a quick test proved them to be very good, much better than what I have been using. A bit of an acid test more than what I would do with small discs but I cut through a 10mm round piece of EN8 and the disc reduced by just 0.6 mm, more than happy with that.

Thread: Sending Unpleasant Personal Messages
11/03/2021 14:06:24

I must be naive I would never have imagined that to be happening, I am amazed it does. For me anyone found to be sending that type of personal message should be instantly banned from the forum for life.

Ron

Thread: Choosing a mini mill
11/03/2021 07:16:51

Exciting Nick, your new mill on the way I don't think you will be disappointed it's a good machine and very capable for its size.

The mill is just the start of course you will gradually build up a lot of tooling and accessories for it. When I got mine I started a thread, if you do a search for New Mill - Starter Tooling you will see I was given a lot of good advice and you will probably have similar questions so may be worth a read.

There are a number of worthwhile mods/additions you can do to the machine but that can all come later.

Ron

10/03/2021 10:07:58

Thanks guys,

Nick the ones I have are probably similar to your pack of 85 they came as part of a set I bought years ago but had not tried them until yesterday. I ran at 30,000 rpm and I am not heavy handed but I reduced the disc by more than half its diameter in reducing the length of thread on 8 x 6BA screws. I guess as part of a set they are probably the bottom end of quality but didn't quite expect them to be that bad. I will see what the Dremel ones perform like and report back.

Thread: Oilite bush cylinder
10/03/2021 09:11:00

I must admit, though I was told it could close the gaps I still machine oilites where needed and I have had no problems. My Shunter axle oilites I machined and they still seem fine plus my in build class 22 has some I,ve machined so fingers crossed.

10/03/2021 07:44:52

I was once told if you machine oilite it looses most of its porosity as the granular surface tends to get smoothed over, whether that is true or not I don't know.

Edited By Ron Laden on 10/03/2021 07:47:39

10/03/2021 07:05:20

Thanks guys I have ordered the Dremel speedclick mandrel and 5 discs I will see how I get on with those.

Ron

09/03/2021 17:18:25

Any recommendations for Dremel type cutting discs that have reasonable life and are good value for money. The ones I have at the moment cut well but their size reduces faster than what they are cutting.

Around 25 - 30mm would be good though not critical, dont have to be genuine Dremel as long as they do the job.

Ron

Thread: Choosing a mini mill
09/03/2021 11:17:27

Nick, one can only say from experience but I have the SX2P and for its size and price I think it very good indeed. It has been 100% reliable in the 2 years I have had it and its done all I have asked of it.

I bought it at a year old in as new condition but it is an ARC supplied machine. It's a 500 watt (output) motor and providing you treat it as a small bench top mill and don't do silly things with it, it has more than enough power for its size.

There are other options of course and it depends on your budget but from experience I can only speak well of the SX2P.

Thread: Stuart Twin Victoria (Princess Royal) Mill Engine
09/03/2021 09:15:21

I know nothing about this engine but looking at the cylinder couldn't that be set up in a 4 jaw with spacers to clear the end flanges if needed and then bored with a standard boring bar.

I am probably missing something

Thread: Model Engineers Handbook
09/03/2021 09:08:34

Thanks guys I have just ordered a copy.

I have other books but not of them have model related information so it will be useful.

Ron

09/03/2021 08:22:01

Is the Model Engineers Handbook No 3 by Tubal Cain worth getting, I have only just come across it.

Just wondered what people think of how useful it is and its content.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
walker midge
JD Metals
Dreweatts
cowells
rapid Direct
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest