By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ron Laden

Here is a list of all the postings Ron Laden has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Wanted Pre loved Warco WM 180
29/05/2020 06:45:02

Assuming the SC3 in the classified ads is in good order I would think it a good buy for someone. Comes with tooling and has had some mods/upgrades and at a very fair price. If I was starting out I would be interested for sure.

Thread: Stuart 10V Build Log - Complete Beginner...
29/05/2020 04:33:35

If the spigot has zero runout then I would suspect the centering bar and where you are measuring on the bar, have you tried measuring  close up against the spigot?

I measure close up against where the bar contacts the part. dsc07378.jpg

Edited By Ron Laden on 29/05/2020 04:43:18

Thread: My new lathe a Warco 918
28/05/2020 13:57:44

Hi Martin

Thanks for doing that test, appreciated. The swarf issue did cross my mind but I wouldn't be using the Jaws. wink

Ron

28/05/2020 13:27:46

I,m sure you clever chaps will know, will sticking a flat bar magnet 50mm x 10mm x 2mm onto the back of a digital caliper affect its performance/display..?

I am thinking not but I dont really know for sure and thought you guys may know, its for an idea I have but I dont have a magnet yet to test it out.

Ron

Thread: Stuart 10V Build Log - Complete Beginner...
28/05/2020 07:32:56

Just curious but how did you manage to use your centering bar to centre for a hole when the hole already exists, did you fit a plug or something into the hole..?

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2020
27/05/2020 19:11:43

Nice work Jason some of the engine parts must be bordering on what I would consider micro engineering, your making of the M1.2 nuts for the governor for instance plus the tiny bevel gears. Shows the attention to detail and you must have a fair amount of patience, certainly pays off though in the end result.

Thread: Another Engine Build
27/05/2020 18:38:13

Thanks Jason, just so frustrating I have lots to be getting on with but little I can do sitting down which is all I can manage at the moment.

Hopefully the medication will kick in quickly.

Ron

27/05/2020 17:52:54
Posted by JasonB on 11/05/2020 16:27:08:

Some of the finishing touches to the Filer & Stowell included the cylinder cleading, I went for the type quite often seen on American engines that have a serices of recessed grooves.

Cut on the SX2.7 as I have a 6mm Weldon type colder for that which made it easier to see that I was doing with the 2mm cutter.

Also made some oilers, had to make the tube first from some 6mm perspex sheet, does not polish up quite as well as Acrylic rod but will do the job.

And I have made a start on the governor

Edited By JasonB on 11/05/2020 16:28:07

I missed this post Jason, the American style cylinder cleading I think very impressive. Looking at your set up for machining is it a piece of thin walled tubing which after you cut the grooves was spilt into two halves as I can see the seam on the top of the cylinder. Also there is an infill piece between the brass parts that looks a bit tricky to produce but it all fits together nicely and certainly looks the part.

Ron

Thread: Another Engine Build
27/05/2020 13:46:57

Not rain stopped play but pain stopped play, somehow managed to pick up an infection in my right foot. Can only hobble around and cant stand on it for more than a couple of minutes so the shop is a no go.sad

Antibiotics on their way from the Doctor so hopefully full service will be resumed in a few days.

Thread: J.T.Slocombe micrometer very old
27/05/2020 13:15:48

There is something very satisfying about having old tools that still work as good as when they where new.

I recently was looking for an imperial 1 inch mic and was about to buy new when I came across a M&W 961B on Ebay for £8. Needed a clean but thats all, works perfectly, feels silky smooth and accurate when checked against slips, even came with the original case. I dont know its age but it must be getting on some.

dsc07444.jpg

27/05/2020 13:14:56

There is something very satisfying about having old tools that still work as good as when they where new.

I recently was looking for an imperial 1 inch mic and was about to buy new when I came across a M&W 961B on Ebay for £8. Needed a clean but thats all, works perfectly, feels silky smooth and accurate when checked against slips, even came with the original case. I dont know its age but it must be getting on some.

dsc07444.jpg

27/05/2020 07:40:03
Posted by JasonB on 26/05/2020 18:59:13:

Thank's Nick, got it more or less back together today after painting and although my balls did go round and swing out they were a little erratic. Think I need to get a second Mamod drive belt as it is a bit too much of a stretch for a standard one. Only time I used the collet chuck on the lathe was to hold the 3/16" stainless balls to drill the 1mm holes. Did use collets in the spin indexer for some jobs like making the 2mm A/F M1.2 nuts you can see.

But pleased that it seems to be running OK at the moment and need to resist the temptation to play with it when I should be working on the base. Just resting on the 1-2-3 blocks and less than 5psi showing on the comp regulator and no ball action!

That Jason is impressive what a lovely little engine, different with detail and interest where ever you look, well done Sir. It runs sweetly to very smooth slow running at the bottom end and built to your usual hign standard.

Great stuff.

Edited By Ron Laden on 27/05/2020 07:41:49

Thread: [Project 5] Low Profile Table Clamps
26/05/2020 09:24:54

Well done Lee, good that you have got a better finish. I am not used to the sound of your machine of course but the 600 rpm cut didn't sound that bad to me, sounded better than the slow cuts I thought.

Ron

Thread: How big can I go with a machine vice?
26/05/2020 09:19:03

Which mill do you have Choo, a 9 inch (230mm) deep table is quite a bit bigger than most hobby machines?

26/05/2020 08:34:08

You wouldn't think 20mm a huge jump up from a 80mm to a 100mm but looking at Jason's comparison the 100 is a hell of a lump compared to the 80, glad I went with 80mm.

26/05/2020 08:20:32

Sorry my mistake I should have realised, I thought you were copying Lee,s cuts.

26/05/2020 06:33:47
Posted by JasonB on 25/05/2020 19:01:15:
Posted by Ron Laden on 25/05/2020 11:04:39:

I can't get my head around the recommended speeds for fly cutting they have never worked for me so I must have been doing something wrong.

What does work for me is higher rpm, for Lee, s cuts of 0.3mm and 0.75mm I would go with something in the region 600 rpm for the 0.3 in steel at say 50mm diameter and 350 rpm for the 0.75mm.

That is with a HSS cutter usual angles and a rounded nose.

I know you will tell me it's wrong but all I can go by is it works, gives a good finish, the mill sounds happy with no issues.

Looks like we will both be getting a slapped wrist, I'd be running faster too.

Here we are with a 63mm flycutter so probably swinging 80mm dia at the tip (HSS), first cut at 600rpm 40mm/min approx feed and second cut a 300rpm with a feed reduced accordingly, not a bad finish for a slow one handed feed, could have got it better if I was not holding the camera. material 40mm wide EN3b. No sign of vibration.

Edited By JasonB on 25/05/2020 19:07:33

Yes Jason we could be sent to the naughty corner but interesting you found similar results. In my case I wondered if it is my mill being a small 500 watt machine, 175 - 200 rpm with say a 0.5mm cut puts me into stall territory. If I double the speed to 350 rpm I don't have a problem, machine is happy, finish is good which I think comes from the machine getting more into its power band.

Lee, why don't you try 600rpm for the 0.3mm cut and 300rpm for the 0.75mm as Jason shows in his video, if the tool is something like good you should get similar results, worth a try.

Ron

Thread: New Mill - Starter Tooling
25/05/2020 17:17:19

I did look at the lathe chucks Jason and to be honest that would be my preferred option, it was only the fact that the mill chuck in MT2 would also fit the lathe. I guess the question is how often would the collets be used on the lathe and how useful is it, maybe it isnt.

25/05/2020 13:41:22

Thanks for that Jason,

I had a thought re been able to use my ER25 collets on the R/T. Martin suggested it been possible to use a Stevenson block if I had a chuck for the R/T which I do. The only problem is whilst the table is very good the chuck isnt, its a 80mm centering 4 jaw that leaves a bit to be desired. Plus the chuck with its backing plate and then the block the face of the collet nut would be 130mm out from the table face. However the table has a MT2 centre hole so if I got a ER25 MT2 mill chuck I could use it on the R/T plus it would also fit the lathe tailstock should I ever need to.

Unless I,m missing something that sounds like a plan to me.

Ron

25/05/2020 11:04:39

I can't get my head around the recommended speeds for fly cutting they have never worked for me so I must have been doing something wrong.

What does work for me is higher rpm, for Lee, s cuts of 0.3mm and 0.75mm I would go with something in the region 600 rpm for the 0.3 in steel at say 50mm diameter and 350 rpm for the 0.75mm.

That is with a HSS cutter usual angles and a rounded nose.

I know you will tell me it's wrong but all I can go by is it works, gives a good finish, the mill sounds happy with no issues.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Warco
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest