By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ron Laden

Here is a list of all the postings Ron Laden has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Another Engine Build
06/06/2020 08:36:29

Well the antibiotics cleared the infection but I,m still somewhat restricted my foot still has some swelling and I can only stand for about half an hour. There is only so much you can do sitting down so work on the lathe and mill has to be done in stages which is frustrating.

Anyway enough of my woes I took a pic of the parts made so far to give myself some encouragement (hopefully) smiley

img_20200606_080909.jpg

Thread: Surface Plate & Height Gauge recommendations
05/06/2020 12:17:37

Must be my lucky day, on Ebay I put an offer in on a Mitutoyo APE Microball 12 inch height gauge and its been accepted..smiley

Its said to be in good condition and complete with its wooden case.

Edited By Ron Laden on 05/06/2020 12:31:38

05/06/2020 09:03:20

So out of interest I mounted the test indicator on a Stevenson block for stability and took a number of readings around the plate. Wont bore you with the details but basically the plate has a central area approx 10 x 8 inches which is good to 0.025 mm. You can see in the pic the indicator reading with the indicator towards the left of the plate having set zero 10 inches away on the right of the plate. From this central area the plate falls away towards the corners 0.5 mm at two corners with 0.7 and 1.0 at the other two.

I also did a basic test with a 4 inch gauge block and a strong torch looking for any obvious hollows, high spots ripples etc but didnt find any.

So as a surface plate it is not good but as a general purpose plate which has a decent centre section which will cover what I will be using it for its good, very good if you consider it cost £10 from a kitchen shop.

img_20200605_074157.jpg

Edited By Ron Laden on 05/06/2020 09:03:59

05/06/2020 03:17:48
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 04/06/2020 22:01:19:
Posted by Ron Laden on 04/06/2020 15:59:29:

...........if I move the two blocks to a different position and one of the blocks climbs or lowers surely that would raise or lower the bar at the opposite end wouldnt it..?

Yes it would, if the two planes on which the V-blocks sit are parallel. One issue is that the movement of the end of the rod compared to the movement of the V-block is reduced by roughly the ratio of the length of the V-block compared to the rod. Which is rather unhelpful.

If the two planes on which the V-blocks sit are not parallel (quite likely if the plate isn't flat) then all bets are off, as the movement of one end of the rod will be influenced not only by the vertical movement of the V-block at the other end but also by it's tilt. Without other measurements it would be difficult to determine which effect was the cause of any movement of the rod end.

No idea where SoD got the statistic that grinding moves more metal in industry than anything else. Most of the machine shops I've used professionally over the years didn't have any grinding machines. Grinding is good for precision and high quality surface finishes, but it's a relatively slow process. As such it's to be avoided unless absolutely necessary. One of the factors driving the development of inserts that will turn or mill hardened steel was to avoid having to use grinders for finishing operations.

Andrew

Point taken Andrew I should have thought about it a bit more.

Ron

04/06/2020 17:10:44

Thanks Barrie for the video I will give that a try, I do have a test indicator not a tenths one but it is 0.01mm and I have some slip gauges so it should give some idea.

I had the bar over hang at around 20mm but the test indicator is a better way of measuring than the caliper I was using.

Thanks again

Ron

04/06/2020 15:59:29

Thats not how I saw it Andrew, if I move the two blocks to a different position and one of the blocks climbs or lowers surely that would raise or lower the bar at the opposite end wouldnt it..?

04/06/2020 15:11:44

I splashed out on a granite worktop protector from Dunelm, 400 x 300 x 15mm cost £10 and for a tenner it is easily good enough for what I will be using it for, some occasional marking out and measuring and parts assembly that need a flat surface.

I havnt got a height gauge at the moment, currently looking for one and will probably go with a digital but I would be ok with a vernier type. Not having a height gauge yet I used the Mitutoyo Digimatic as accurately as I could to check out the plate. I placed a bar of silver steel across a pair of V blocks and measured the height at each end, I then moved the blocks and bar around to numerous positions on the plate checking against the original measurement. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was, 80% of the plate was within 0.001" a couple of places towards the edges and corners 0.002" and one corner was 0.003".

I dont know if I have been lucky with a good one or if they are all fairly close.

img_20200604_143418.jpg

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2020
02/06/2020 07:17:28

Jason have you considered Solid Nitrile Rubber Cord for the drive belt it's available in 1.00 mm diameter upwards. I would have thought it would be perfect for the governor drive.

Just a thought.

02/06/2020 06:45:20

What can one say that is just superb Jason you should be very proud of that one and what a sweet runner, excellent it really is yes

The base is very nice to, I do like the way you have run the top finish pattern diagonally and parallel with the engine thats works well with the eye.

Great stuff smiley

Thread: My new lathe a Warco 918
01/06/2020 16:57:33

The carriage DRO is just about finished, waiting for some magnets but temporarily fitted it with some smaller ones I had which did in fact hold it well enough. I went down the magnet route as I wont be leaving it on the lathe when not required and I can see it getting damaged if left in situ all the time. The magnets make it easy fit/easy removal it takes just seconds. The swarf guard I have made up is also fitted via magnets so again quick fit.

Quite pleased with it considering it cost £8 plus some offcuts and a bit of time.

p.s. Click on image to enlarge.

dsc07670.jpg

Edited By Ron Laden on 01/06/2020 16:59:18

31/05/2020 12:44:04

Hi Howard,

Yes I am sure any half decent caliper would be made of better stuff than my cheapie but hopefully it will be ok for my purpose, after all it wont be under any stress not that any caliper should be of course. The good thing is the caliper is reasonably accurate for how I will be using it, measuring and setting lengths of cuts etc, it is within 1 to 2 thou of my Mitutoyo across the full 150 mm.

I have been thinking of giving the idea a try for some time so when I saw a digital caliper for £8 I thought I would give it a try, will see how it turns out.

Ron

31/05/2020 11:00:04

Hi Bob, well that speaks well for Aldi calipers as this cheapie I have which is said to be stl stl/hardened is the strangest stl I have come across. It cuts and machines so easily I can hardly believe it is stl. However it is non magnetic but I, m guessing it is some Chinacheeseium concoction, the non magnetic is a bonus though for the way I am going to mount it.

Will post more when I,m a bit further on.

Ron

Edited By Ron Laden on 31/05/2020 11:01:35

31/05/2020 10:31:56

Sorry should have said if it works out it is going to be a poor man's DRO for the carriage, I say poor man's as there is only £8 in it so far.. smiley

31/05/2020 10:27:17

Made and fitted the mount to the caliper.

p.s. Pan head screws as I don't have any csk at the moment. 

img_20200531_101608.jpg

Edited By Ron Laden on 31/05/2020 10:38:35

Thread: Parting tip breakage
31/05/2020 09:50:36

Thanks Barrie, I, m glad it has been removed then, won't waste any time watching it.

Ron

31/05/2020 07:25:45

No video link is there a reason for it been removed?

Thread: Workshop Gloves
30/05/2020 09:42:00

I never wear gloves except for chemicals/adhesives etc and I wouldn't be so certain about nitrile gloves tearing off instantly. That may happen 9 times out of 10 but if a spinning tool grabbed part of the glove and spun it into a cord it could pull your fingers in, it may not but I wouldn't risk it. Take a nitrile glove twist up just one of the fingers and see how strong it is, you may be surprised.

Edited By Ron Laden on 30/05/2020 09:49:12

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2020
30/05/2020 07:22:27
Posted by JasonB on 26/05/2020 18:59:13:

Thank's Nick, got it more or less back together today after painting and although my balls did go round and swing out they were a little erratic. Think I need to get a second Mamod drive belt as it is a bit too much of a stretch for a standard one. Only time I used the collet chuck on the lathe was to hold the 3/16" stainless balls to drill the 1mm holes. Did use collets in the spin indexer for some jobs like making the 2mm A/F M1.2 nuts you can see.

But pleased that it seems to be running OK at the moment and need to resist the temptation to play with it when I should be working on the base. Just resting on the 1-2-3 blocks and less than 5psi showing on the comp regulator and no ball action!

Morning Jason, how is the base coming along not that I,m pushing (yes I am) winkcan't wait to see it finished.

Ron

Thread: My new lathe a Warco 918
29/05/2020 11:31:18

Yes I added the csk holes.

29/05/2020 11:06:32

I took a gamble and bought a cheap £8 .surprise digital caliper for a little project I am going to try on the lathe.

I expected it to be rough and it is but a couple of hours stripping it down and improving where I could and its now much better than it was. I need it to be reasonably accurate but not perfect and a few comparison tests against my Mitutoyo and it is within 1 to 2 thou along the full range of 6 inches so thats fine for how I hope to use it.

Just to give some idea of how rough it was,the top and bottom running faces of the beam looked as if they had been finished on a bandsaw but at £8 what can you expect. I used a very fine file and draw filed the faces finishing with 800 and 1200 paper, after readjusting the head it is quite smooth, very smooth actually considering.

I made the mods and waiting for some magnets plus I need to make a mounting block and a couple of other bits, I am sure you can guess what I,m up to, it may work out it may not but hardly a drama if it doesnt at £8.

img_20200529_092829.jpg

Edited By Ron Laden on 29/05/2020 11:10:43

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Warco
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest