By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ron Laden

Here is a list of all the postings Ron Laden has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Inexpensive inverter mig welders
24/05/2021 09:18:11

Sorry double post.

Edited By Ron Laden on 24/05/2021 09:19:51

24/05/2021 09:17:46

Thanks guys for the advice, appreciated.

I have been watching and reading beginners guides and reviews on the small inverter type welders, it seems to be a real mixed bag. Some units seem to be ok (ish) and others not very good to the point of been dangerous, one review on a "new" welder (cost £83) found there to be no fuse in the 13amp plug but a piece of thick copper wire soldered across the fuse connectors.."scary"

I am thinking of going with a stick welder to make a start and following Noels advice and finding a second hand older type welder. I have had a quick look and there seems to be a fair number of them for sale at very reasonable prices. I dont have the space for a large unit so it will have to be smallish to medium size if I can find one.

I appreciate that whatever type of welder I go with it is going to take some practice and learning to become anything like reasonable and able to produce a decent weld, should be fun though.

Thanks again for the advice.

Ron

23/05/2021 09:29:08

Morning Guys

I would appreciate any thoughts good or bad on the small inexpensive (£50 - £75) inverter type mig welders, does anyone have or use one and if so their experience with it.

I guess I,m asking are they any good for light work say up to 3mm or are they a waste of money and best avoided. I am a beginner when it comes to welding so I suppose that needs taking into account.

Thanks

Ron

Thread: Thompstone Engine
18/05/2021 07:28:35

Just shows how attention to detail no matter how small makes all the difference, the internal corners on the legs of the lower guides look much better than plain 90 degree corners.

Nice Jason.

Thread: Another Engine Build
12/05/2021 14:07:55

Thanks Jason,

I will go with studs also.

I need to make a new eccentric had a mishap with the original this morning, I was going through all the parts checking them against the drawings and for fit with mating parts. I found the groove in the eccentric measured 1.35 and not 1.5mm, dont quite understand that. It was some time back that I made the part but I was pretty sure I used a 1.5mm parting blade but it certainly is undersize.

I set it up in the 4 jaw to widen the slot and took it steady (probably too steady) and the tool grabbed making a mess of it. I could repair it but thought it better and probably quicker to produce a replacement.

These things are sent to try us.

Thread: How to countersink on a Mill?
12/05/2021 13:21:43

Just my own taste but I much prefer csk screws to finish looking like Jason shows on the second hole in his video, I think it looks a lot neater than having the band around the screw head. I have a set of 3 flute csk bits which work well enough but for M3 to M8 I mainly use a set of stub drills which I reground to 90 degree and are sized to the screw head diameter plus a tad. They work really well, always cut clean, no chatter and leave a good finish.

07/05/2021 09:22:09

Thanks Jason

Don't know if I am missing something but GHW only seem to list High Head Hex Steel M2.5 in one length 12mm, the ones I had from Polly were 15mm long.

07/05/2021 07:28:18
Posted by Ron Laden on 06/05/2021 09:36:18:

Hi Jason

I have a memory like a sieve can you please remind me of the UK supplier for the small head metric screws.

Thanks

Ron

Found it Jason, Polly models, does the German supplier carry a larger range than Polly?

Ron

06/05/2021 09:36:18

Hi Jason

I have a memory like a sieve can you please remind me of the UK supplier for the small head metric screws.

Thanks

Ron

05/05/2021 13:22:57

Oil cups made, they are a tad under size as I didn't have any 5mm hex brass only 3/16" hex so used that, should be ok.

Just waiting for a M2.5 die to arrive so I can make the eccentric and valve rods.

img_20210505_104923.jpg

Thread: Protective film for polished metal.
04/05/2021 13:54:25

ARC list MetalGuard, Ultra, not used it but it reads well.

Leaves a 2 micron clear film that does not yellow contains corrosion inhibitors for ferrous and yellow metal.

04/05/2021 10:35:10

No not much now Jason though I had forgotten the exhaust so I made that this morning. A bit of trial and error and a couple of failed attempts but got there in the end. I used some thick wall 1/4 o/d copper tube which I opened up to 4mm i/d. Clamped a 1/4 dowel to a block, heated the tube and formed it around the dowel. It did leave a slight flat on the outside of the bend but a smear of JB should cure that.

img_20210504_101410.jpg

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2021
03/05/2021 07:08:02

Looking good Jason, what type of hot glue did you use to hold the packer, I know its only temporary but surprised it grabs on metal I can see that been handy to know.

Ron

02/05/2021 17:25:51

The Class 22 is awaiting a track test (next track day in two weeks) so thought I had better catch up and make the last few small parts for the Muncaster.

I made the valve this morning which seems to have turned out ok, Jasons drawing calls for bronze but not having any stock at the moment I went with free cutting brass in the hope it will be ok.

The rod slot is 2.6 mm wide x 4.0 mm deep and the nearest cutter I have is a 2.0 mm HSS 2 flute uncoated, the top end speed of the mill is 2500 rpm and I was a bit concerned how it would cope running at less than half speed. However it was fine and turned out ok, I started with a couple of 0.25mm cuts then increased to 0.5 mm and it cut just fine as did the two side cuts of 0.3 mm to achieve the 2.6 mm.

Valve and eccentric rods, the exhaust and a couple of oil cups will see the parts list complete.

img_20210502_143640.jpg

Thread: Electric Traction Engine
29/04/2021 20:32:23

Yesterday my cordless 18 volt drill/driver went pop or at least the pcb did, knowing I would have no chance of getting a new board off I went and bought myself a new drill.

This morning I stripped down the old drill to see if anything was worth saving in the maybe come in useful box. The thing that did draw my attention was the gearbox parts (picture below) I immediately thought differential.

Now I dont know yet if I can make anything of the parts I need to put pen to paper but it would be good if I can, I do like the idea of having a differential on the engine. I know its not essential and a single wheel drive works well enough but a differential would be good to have.

img_20210429_104306.jpg

Thread: Further Adventures with the Sieg KX3 & KX1
26/04/2021 15:15:27

Nice work Jason as usual.

I notice that the tool is climb milling its way around the part is that something that is a normal approach with CNC or is it for a better finish less tool loading etc..?

Ron

Thread: Class 22 Diesel (next project)
17/04/2021 17:54:40

One day,s work should see it wired I said well tomorrow is day 4 and still quite a bit to do. I,m not the brightest spark when it comes to electrics (excuse the pun) but a lot of what you guys think is simple has me deep in thought trying to fathom it out. Anyway what I,ve wired so far seems OK, I am now wirng the sound plus the lights which I am connecting into a double pole direction switch. The idea being when the direction is switched the headlights and rear lights are switched to match the direction or at least that's the plan.

img_20210417_172817.jpg

17/04/2021 07:13:22

Morning Jason,

I watched the video again I really do like the long stroke especially when running slowly, nice sounding engine also.

I see from the Thompstone text that the engine is just 1/16" shy of being under square by 2 to 1. Is that about as long a stroke you see on stationary engines or can they be longer.

Ron

Thread: Looking for a block of cast iron please
17/04/2021 06:43:08

If you want to go with cast iron M-machine will cut you 3 inches of 150mm x 150mm at £21.60 per inch so £64.80 plus £10.20 carriage covers up to 30kgs.

15/04/2021 15:57:55

Hi Jason, don't want to butt in other to say the cylinder looks every bit a casting, you certainly have it down to an art producing would be castings from bar stock. I wondered could the rings on the larger full size engines be there for stiffness/rigidity maintaining size and shape on a part like a cylinder which heats and cools, maybe not just a thought.

Ron

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
walker midge
JD Metals
Dreweatts
cowells
rapid Direct
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest