By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ron Laden

Here is a list of all the postings Ron Laden has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Electric Traction Engine
10/09/2019 15:48:35
Posted by JasonB on 10/09/2019 15:38:33:

I think your biggest problem will be assembly and keeping Loctite out of the bearing

I also considered that, but didnt come up with an answer for that one..frown I had better not rock the boat and go with the norm.

Edited By Ron Laden on 10/09/2019 15:49:49

10/09/2019 15:30:39

Jeff, I did think of that but based it on the fact that the amount of running the engine would get, the bearing would probably see me out. Its not a problem though I can make it as per the drawings it was just an idea.

10/09/2019 15:09:21

I have not given this too much thought so am prepared to be shot down in flames but I see on the Minnie drawings that the big end bearing is a pair of shouldered semi circular half bearings... is this necessary. I wondered if a one piece bearing would work, it would need to be fitted to the crankpin when assembling the crankshaft. If the conrod and strap are then machined to a size which grips the o/d of the bearing when fitted to the crank would that not work..?

10/09/2019 10:53:05

Thanks Jason, I did forget something though I just realised that I only allowed for clearance of the crank webs and forgot the con rod. It would just about clear but a 4-5mm deep slot would make certain and there is enough meat in the boiler top to allow for this.

Thread: Warco lathe mill attachment
10/09/2019 09:18:41

Bevel, is it not possible to find a bit of space for a seperate mill, for another £93 you could consider the Sieg SX2P from ARC..its R8 - 500 watt brushless and I have found it to be an excellent small mill. I have mine on a 30" x 15" bench so it doesnt need too much space....just a thought.

10/09/2019 08:47:32

I have been sizing and positioning items scaled up to 1.625" from the 1" Minnie, I havnt followed it exactly but close.

I calculated the main axle position on the horn plate, centred the 80T gear at that position and worked back up through the gears to the 20T drive gear on the 2nd shaft. With the gears I am using it would be ideal if I moved the crank and second shaft rearward by 10mm and also move the crank down by 7mm and the second shaft down by 5mm.

The top of my boiler is square not radiused but I checked the crank throw and the larger 30T on the 2nd shaft and at the new position they would clear the top of boiler by 4mm. I realise this would change sizes/positions of other items but I couldnt see any real problems but it would be good to know if you guys can think of something I have not considered..?

Edited By Ron Laden on 10/09/2019 08:48:18

Thread: Loco wheels cast iron grade ?
09/09/2019 21:03:44
Posted by 34046 on 09/09/2019 20:07:12:

Ron - many thanks

Steel ones from 17D is the answer for me .

Thanks for the contact details.

Bill

Your welcome Bill, but as I mentioned they dont list 3.5 inch gauge as stock so you will have to see what they say.

Ron

09/09/2019 20:53:16

Very nice Jason, some quality engineering there I fancy.

09/09/2019 20:25:47

There is a good number of keyways on that last one Jason, is that off a traction engine.

09/09/2019 18:50:59

Bill,

17D Miniatures is where I purchased my wheels, they have a website. The only thing is most of what they produce and stock is 5" and 7 1/4". They do offer a machining service though and wheels is one of the products they list but how it works price wise when its not a stock item I dont know. It would certainly be worth giving them a ring as I have found them really helpful.

Tel: 01629 825070 Mon - Friday 9.30 - 5.00. Also the website has an enquiry form you can send them.

Ron

Edited By Ron Laden on 09/09/2019 18:51:40

09/09/2019 17:50:54

Hi Bill,

I was reading up on cast iron a while back and remember someone saying that SG iron was stronger and better for wheels than 250 but that is only what I read I dont have any knowledge of it myself.

The plain disc wheels on my electrics are in EN8 steel but I bought them in so I guess that is not based on which is best but more a cost and convenience in production thing.

Sorry, not very helpful but hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly.

Ron

Thread: My new lathe a Warco 918
09/09/2019 16:38:01

I have a couple of HSS 1.5mm parting tools for the QCTP but they are a bit limited in the depth of cut they will handle. However the lathe came with a very well made rear tool post but no holder so I thought it time to go for an insert type parting tool as a number of you guys seem to be speak highly of them. I have ordered a SLTBN holder, blade and 2mm inserts from ARC so it will be interesting to see how it performs. A good thing is the same holder will also take the 3mm blade and inserts so thats a bonus.

09/09/2019 16:04:51

Thanks Jason for the tips, I am sure a 7 inch flywheel wouldnt look out of place and as you say the RDG part machined one is good value, just added one to the shopping list.

09/09/2019 15:17:59

I said I learn something everyday smiley, in the build of the Minnie wheels there is mention of solder paint I never knew there was such a thing.

09/09/2019 10:33:54

Jason, I was thinking of going with a six spoke wheel most of which I would machine on the lathe and then to the RT for cutting out the spokes..?

09/09/2019 09:58:19

I wouldnt have thought the material spec for the crankshaft is crucial, I am copying the Minnie crank and I dont think material type is mentioned other than steel. I am going with what I have which is EN1A ground bar 10mm for the pin and 12mm for the shaft and EN1A bar for the webs which at my scale are 56mm diameter, think it should be ok.

Thread: Engraving
09/09/2019 09:01:32
Posted by geoff adams on 09/09/2019 08:43:07:

Hi Ron i did this on my cnc mill 4th axis if you can give me the dia to be engraved and dims of the lettering and graduations i will have a go at engraving it

Geoff

img_0884.jpg

Thats very kind of you Geoff will have a measure up and let you know.

Regards Ron

09/09/2019 08:48:12

Chris, it did cross my mind as to whether I could do it myself, I have a decent rotary table and you can get small engraving bits. I probably dont have the speed on the mill for such a small bit but it may be ok as the lines are very shallow. I will give it some thought.

Thanks

09/09/2019 08:22:13

Hi Roy,

Barnstaple, North Devon.

Ron

09/09/2019 07:59:15

Would anyone know of an engraver or engraving service with reasonable costs. I want to have the top slide index drum engraved similar to the cross slide one pictured below. We had a local engraver with very good pricing but he is retired and the other local engravers prices are scary.

Thanks

dsc06972.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Advertise With Us
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Meridienne oct 2019
TRANSWAVE Converters
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest