By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ron Laden

Here is a list of all the postings Ron Laden has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Muncaster's Simple Entablature Engine
10/08/2019 08:25:17

Jason, I have not turned any long tapers so was interested in the method you used on the columns, especially using the boring head for the offset. Unless I,m missing something the method must rely on flex in the spigot which is held in the collet..? I see the tapers are shallow at 2mm over the column length but there must obviously be a limit to how much offset can be applied relative to the spigot diameter..?

Thread: New Mill - Starter Tooling
09/08/2019 14:31:40

What a difference DRO,s make to using the mill, may seem obvious but when you have never used them before I am surprised what a bonus it is having them, well worth fitting and at £120 from ARC for a 3 axis set, hardly expensive.

Ron

Thread: Class 22 Diesel (next project)
09/08/2019 08:15:02

I put in the spring slots on a couple of the motor plates to see how it was looking, the gap between the plates will be 3mm when the axles are mounted in the bogie. The usual is to slot the plates and locate them onto a tie bar but I thought I would give the springs a try. I think it should work ok, I cant envisage any problems with it but if there is I still have space to add a tie bar.

p.s. The blue springs fitted here are what I consider medium strength but I will fit the green heavy springs on final assembly, picture of the different strength springs on a previous post.

dsc06873.jpg

Edited By Ron Laden on 09/08/2019 08:47:27

Thread: Muncaster's Simple Entablature Engine
09/08/2019 08:02:01

Not building this engine Jason but I always learn and pick up ideas and "how to do" from your build threads, would never have thought of using a boring head to offset the centre.

Great stuff.

Thread: Class 22 Diesel (next project)
08/08/2019 10:45:49
First job on the motor plates was to machine a 1.0 mm deep recess for the axle bearing shoulder. The motor body length makes things a little tight between the wheel back to back when the plates and bearings are added. The bearing shoulders I have reduce from 3.0 mm to 2.0 mm thick and with the recess I should gain a further 2.0 mm which will leave 1.0 mm end float when the motor assy,s are mounted on the axles.
The recess is 4.5 mm wide x 1.0 mm deep which I did as two 0.5 mm cuts using the rotary table, worked well using a 8mm 3 flute HSS end mill (ARC premium range) .
A bit of video below of the second cut and the finished result.
07/08/2019 20:26:18

Hopefully things should speed up now as I have the bogie side plates and the motor mounting plates. Laser cut which I make no excuses for, my right arm will no longer allow me to carry out any serious hacksawing otherwise I would have cut them manually. I am very fortunate in that I have a friend who cut them for me FOC plus they were cut on a new machine that had only been commissioned 2 weeks ago, the edges are very clean indeed which is a bonus. I still have work to do on the plates so I do have to put some effort in.

dsc06867.jpg

05/08/2019 14:58:17

Final job, mount the displays. DRO,s all done and dusted..smiley

dsc06858.jpg

Edited By Ron Laden on 05/08/2019 15:06:50

Thread: Most difficult part first
04/08/2019 15:03:48

I only have the one model to date, the 0-4-0 and I started with the wheels and worked up, just seemed logical that way and I am doing the same with the class 22, bogies and chassis first.

I do make myself a list of parts/jobs in sequence but some items jump the queue if I already have material on the shelf etc. If I had a part to produce which I knew was going to be difficult or I had some doubts over it I would definitely begin with that.

Ron

04/08/2019 11:45:47

Fitted the Y axis DRO this morning though I didnt follow the norm, I fixed the sensor head to the base casting and the beam travels with Y carriage. A couple of reasons, the fixed sensor means no cable sliding back and forth plus easy to fit the swarf guard behind the beam. Doing it this way means the beam needs to extend 40mm forward of the carriage in fact the alu angle swarf guard becomes the mount for the beam.

So all 3 axis now have a DRO, just need to make a mounting board for the displays.

dsc06855.jpg

03/08/2019 16:40:43

A couple of finishing touches to the X and Z.

Added a sleeve of heat shrink to the X sensor cable to help protect against swarf , I didnt shrink the sleeve which has left the cable quite flexible when moving with the Y front to back. I also glued a piece of plastic angle to the Z sensor to keep the cable contained and off the electric box. The box has a textured finish which is quite abrasive and I could see that wearing away the cable over time.

Picked up a piece of alu angle this morning at B&Q smiley so I can make a start on the Y in the morning.

dsc06849.jpg

dsc06848.jpg

Edited By Ron Laden on 03/08/2019 16:41:29

Edited By Ron Laden on 03/08/2019 16:46:19

Thread: good service Arc eurotrade
03/08/2019 08:58:02

I buy all my cutting tools from ARC as well as other tooling. I find their premium range of cutting tools excellent, very good quality and good pricing too.

Ketan and Ian are very nice people to deal with and very helpful, there is a lot to be said for that nowadays.

An excellent supplier.

Ron

Edited By Ron Laden on 03/08/2019 09:23:36

02/08/2019 18:56:17

X axis DRO fitted to the rear of the table, pretty conventional, I think the majority fit them this way. Just the Y axis one to fit but I may take a bit of a different approach in fitting the one to the Y, we will see.

dsc06846.jpg

Thread: Jim Al Kahlili : Revolutions
01/08/2019 18:08:06
Posted by Nigel Bennett on 01/08/2019 13:41:01:

Then you have to consider that the cyclist is barred from all motorways,

Thank god for that, if they ignored the rules of the motorway like they do on all the minor roads the death toll would be beyond belief.

Thread: Laser cut or water jet or what ?
01/08/2019 17:21:50

Bill I thought you had a mill ..no...?

01/08/2019 16:35:16

For anyone with a SX2P that may be interested a couple of pics showing the installation a bit clearer.

Sorry guys, I dont know what I did with the picture sizing, if you click the image it reduces for better viewing.

dsc06843.jpg

dsc06844.jpg

Edited By Ron Laden on 01/08/2019 16:42:29

01/08/2019 10:44:57

The DRO,s arrived and I started by fitting one to the Z axis, its relatively easy to offer some protection against swarf on the X and Y but not so easy on the Z. The X and Y DRO can be fitted with a piece of angle which covers the beam and sensor head, on the Z the sensor bracket comes forward to connect to the mill head so not allowing any angle in that position. It seemed obvious that an angle cover could be fitted if slotted to allow the sensor bracket to pass through so thats what I,ve gone with. The slot along the length of the angle is 4mm wide, could have gone with 3mm but had no cutter so 4mm it is.

It wont stop all swarf but it should stop the majority and the beam is offset to the slot so any small pieces getting through should miss the beam. I have an idea for a slotted cover which would be self sealing either side of the sensor bracket as it travels along but will give this version a try first.

dsc06839.jpg

Edited By Ron Laden on 01/08/2019 10:57:06

Thread: double acting oscillating cylinder engine
31/07/2019 16:58:24

Geoff, that looks very nice indeed and runs nicely too, well done you

The first little engine I like the look of as a starter is from Julius de Waal drawings which I found free online, its described as a Single Cylinder Oscillating Engine, I dont know if that is a Muncaster, its all new to me.

Ron

Edited By Ron Laden on 31/07/2019 17:13:28

Thread: 3 phase - radio puzzle
31/07/2019 16:33:56

Hi guys,

Just to sum up, all the radios are battery operated and all tuned to BBC Devon, though I have tried the channel on both MW and FM. I have tried a radio in the bathroom, in the bedroom, the workshop, the lounge and the kitchen and all are fine except for the one in the kitchen. I have just thought of something though, the electric comes into the property in the kitchen, on the end wall are the meters / consumer units etc, is that where the problem is i.e. the kitchen radio been in close proximity to those.

As well as the EMI power line filter I have ordered, would there be any benefit in fitting Ferrites to the motor cable. I watched an American video last night and a power line filter cured the problems that a guy had in his workshop. He then fitted ferrites to the motor lead simply because he had them in the drawer but when measured with good equipment the ferrites reduced the interference levels even more, just wondered..?

Ron

31/07/2019 07:32:12

Thanks guys for your help and suggestions, I will order the cheaper EMI power line filter as suggested by Geoff and Robert and give that a try to start with.

Ron

30/07/2019 19:05:26
Posted by Robert Atkinson 2 on 30/07/2019 18:49:41:

Hi ,

The Ideal solution is a two stage block filter like this

uk.farnell.com/corcom-te-connectivity/3eq1/filter-3a-1-phase/dp/9586210

But they are not cheap .As Geoff suggests a IEC mains input connector with built in filter is a lower cost ooption. It also has lower perfomance but one like this

uk.farnell.com/epcos/b84771m0006a000/filter-inlet-iec-medical-6a-250v/dp/2317950 should cure your problem and provide a handy inlet connection.

I could dig out a used filter if you don't want to order one.
Is your VFD in any kind of enclosure?

Robert G8RPI.

Thanks for this Robert, really helpful. No my VFD is not in an enclosure, it is mounted on a bracket under a shelf with space all around it, it is out of the way of swarf/coolant and in a clean area.

Ron

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Advertise With Us
TRANSWAVE Converters
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Meridienne Sept 2019
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest