By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ron Laden

Here is a list of all the postings Ron Laden has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: More Workshop space, shall I or not..?
25/03/2019 09:14:51

It takes months to build and model the railway and just a few hours to break it all down, anyway its all cleared and packed away and the benches are ready for WBP ply tops plus a few extra legs. Should be moving in by the end of the week looking forward to it..smiley

24/03/2019 08:14:53

Well I only slept on it for one night and I am going to move the workshop over, it just makes sense.

The railway can be boxed up for future use and I will only lose 10% of it and that is just some scenery. Model engineering is now my main interest and thinking about it I know I would put little time into the railway in the foreseeable future, just not enough hours in a day.

The new space doesnt need that much doing to it to change over, probably no more than a few days. The bench framework is well built and topped with 12mm MDF but I will add another layer of 12mm WBP ply. A few additional legs will be needed mainly where the mill and lathe sit, it is probably ok as is but belt and braces to be sure.

There is a narrow bench 36" x15" inches deep which will take the lathe and the mill I will place across one corner of a deeper section of bench. There is a small area of bench which can house the bench grinder so that can live in situ and not be stored underneath as it is now. Also the vice can be a permanent fixture, in the little shed I have to remove it to gain space when doing bench work.

That leaves 20 sq feet of bench space, I wont know myself..smiley

The lighting is very good and there is a good number of sockets plus much more storage both underneath the benches and shelving. The little shed can store items I seldom use like the bench drill, vertical bandsaw and scroll saw.

Will post a picture when I have moved over.

Ron

23/03/2019 16:32:16

My current workshop is a 6ft x 4ft garden shed, its a good one but obviously its a very small space. I do seem to manage though with a lathe one end and a mill the other and a bit of a bench area in between.

A couple of days ago the wife suggested I should move into the other space I have which is home to my part built N gauge model railway, I dismissed that idea saying no I cant do that. However it did start me thinking and the more I thought about it the more it makes sense. Its a room inside a room so to speak, the outer is a stone built shed inside which I built a fully lined and insulated room with a outward opening door but no windows.

It is 6ft 6 ins square so still small but almost twice what I currently have 42 sq ft against 24 sq ft. It has a very good concrete floor and the room is very dry and snug, apart from the door area it has continuous benches all round. The benches would need strengthening though especially where the machines sit. With the mill and lathe bench mounted it would leave a 6ft 6 ins x 2ft bench plus a 4ft 6ins x 2ft bench which after what I,ve grown use to is warehouse proportions. There is good under bench storage, some above bench shelving with room for more.

So whats the problem it has lots going for it just move in there, well ninety percent of me says do it but ten percent of me says hold on what about the railway. I guess its all the time that has gone into the railway that is holding me back though its only part built and needs a few more years to complete if they ever are complete.

I think I need to sleep on it a few more nights.

Thread: Soba rotary table
23/03/2019 14:13:36

Jason, thanks for the idea of the MT arbor I see ARC do a MT2 one with a 1" end which will be fine as I have checked the chuck backplate hole and its 16mm.

I have also had a measure up of the table slots and if I make up some custom nuts I can get down to 60mm ctrs and with the chuck PCD at 68mm it will be fine.

Ron

Edited By Ron Laden on 23/03/2019 14:23:30

23/03/2019 08:07:17

Having checked the dimensions Jason is correct, the PCD of the chuck mounting holes is 68mm, the table slots are just long enough but it would need the corners on the inner face off the T nuts radiused to allow them to travel in further.

Michael, you can see in the picture the mounting plate is dedicated to the 80mm chuck but it would be possible to add mounting positions for other chucks.

I forgot to say that the kit also comes with a basic clamping set as can be seen in the picture.

Ron

dsc06635.jpg

22/03/2019 21:32:02

Thanks thats a good point Emgee, I am not so bad off for height above the chuck providing the workpiece is not too tall and also with some tooling I could run out of space so losing the mounting plate would be a good idea.

Ron

22/03/2019 14:11:31

Hi Hopper,

I got it from Chronos, it comes as a set £291.60 which includes VAT and shipping. The picture below shows the set..... 5 inch table, 80mm 4 jaw with mounting plate and external jaws, tailstock assy and dividing set. It suited my budget, I was thinking of saving for a decent table in the future but with tailstock and dividers added you are looking at over £700. Also would the table be better than the Soba, I dont know but from the checks I did this morning I very much doubt it.

Chronos also do another set which is as above but without the chuck and mounting plate and that is £236.80. I did ask Chronos if you can just buy the table without the extras but they said no its sold as sets. I did try finding the table only on line but couldnt find it so I assume Soba only supply it as a set.

I should say that I am not trying to promote or recommend this table to anyone it just suited my budget but what I have found so far is very good and seems good value for money.

Ron

dsc06632.jpg

Edited By Ron Laden on 22/03/2019 14:15:05

Thread: KX1 CNC Mill Clearance Offer
22/03/2019 11:10:10

Well done Jason, looks like a good little spot for it there. Is it in your woodworking shop, I think you mentioned thats where it would have to live. I bet you have a number of engine parts all lined up for it already.

22/03/2019 10:22:26

The 5 inch Soba arrived so I gave it a check over whilst bearing in mind what Neil found on the 6 inch version.

Turning the table through 360 the handle felt very smooth with no tight spots though it did feel a bit light so I adjusted the gear mesh which is simple to do via a grub screw. Adjusted to get a bit more feel on the handle but with no tight spots, checked the backlash at that setting which is 0.001" so I am hardly going to worry about that.

I clocked the outside of the table through 360 and that is good to 0.0002", so running as near as damn it true. I then tried to find any float across the table using the mounted chuck for leverage but couldnt find any movement at all, the gauge maintained zero.

One turn of the handle is 4 degrees, I checked it at a number of settings and it is spot on.

So going by these checks I am obviously really pleased I couldnt ask for much better.

Down side..? there always has to be a downside, the 80mm 4 jaw is self centering not an independent but I,m sure it will have its uses. Also the chuck key with the 4 jaw needs a few thou of the key faces as it hardly enters the chuck.

dsc06628.jpg

Thread: Cap head screws
21/03/2019 10:39:08

Thats what I do Dave, we have a local supplier who will sell you 1 screw but I go and get what I need at the time and round the qty up.

21/03/2019 10:21:17

Dave, which ever way you buy them get decent quality, the cheap ones can be rubbish, also a quality set of keys.

Just a thought Dave but apart from cap heads probably fixing the base to the vertical column the Wig Wam doesnt have any other cap heads does it..? or are you thinking for general use..?

Ron

Thread: Electric Traction Engine
21/03/2019 08:15:30

Well if I just go by the sums then it is really a no brainer, I can get a full set ot Mod1.5 gears from China for £60. There would be a risk in what you receive but I have had gears from China in the past and they were very good. They are thicker than I need so will need machining down but that shouldnt be an issue.

I can always save my gear cutting practice for a later date.

Edited By Ron Laden on 21/03/2019 08:18:41

Thread: Hello from Hull
20/03/2019 08:58:46

Welcome to the Forum Steve, nice people here and I think you will find them very helpful.

Hull has a Model Engineer Society, they meet in the New Walton Club, 243 Walton Street, I dont have a club contact number but they meet every other Wednesday and you can just turn up and introduce yourself. There is a meeting tonight 7.30pm.

Ron

19/03/2019 13:28:41

That makes sense Jason.

19/03/2019 12:59:50

A compromise could be to buy in the Mod 2 - 80T, 25T and the motor 12T and then make the Mod 1.5 gears. If I have got it right it would mean 5 cutters to cover the 15,20,25,30 and 50T gears.

Just looked at cutters and that seems a bit of a mine field, I saw a set of eight Mod 1.5 cutters at over £700 down to a Chinese set of eight for £56 (dont fancy those). Looking at the cutters individually, I found some at £22 each and I,m guessing that is maybe the going rate for something half decent..?

19/03/2019 07:55:16
Posted by JasonB on 19/03/2019 07:42:34:

Without knowing the number of teeth on your gearwheels its impossible at this stage to say if you will have the divisions needed. You may find it easier on the SX2 to stick with MOD1 and just cut a few more teeth

Jason, is your thinking that MOD 1.5 and 2.0 could be too heavy for the mill..?

19/03/2019 07:36:24

I am in need of some bedside reading, any recommendations for a good beginners guide to gear cutting..? I see No 17 in the workshop practice series covers gears - gear cutting so was thinking of getting that one.

I was going to buy in the gears but with a RT coming with a dividing set I would like to have a try at producing my own. Not knowing much about it but the RT set is 3 plates 15 - 49 and I am going with MOD 1.5 and 2.0 gears so hoping the plates cover those.

Ron

18/03/2019 15:27:01

Well it will be interesting to see how my Soba measures up as I have just ordered one, I have the little cheapie table but a better RT was on my future shopping list. I think a 6 inch version may be a bit big for my mill (SX2P) and was thinking that a 5 inch would be ideal and then found that Soba do a 5 inch.

I have gone for a set which has the RT, a dividing set, a tailstock and a 4 jaw chuck with mounting plate and its a very good price so I have brought it forward a bit.

Ron

18/03/2019 14:08:13

Thanks for that Jason, just checked my vice and it is a bit more 1.312" from bolt slots to fixed jaw so need to adjust accordingly.

18/03/2019 08:20:05

Jason, re the vice mounted on the RT, probably me being a bit dumb but how do you centre the workpiece to the RT centre..?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest