By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ron Laden

Here is a list of all the postings Ron Laden has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: To paint, or nor to paint.
26/07/2021 20:31:48

Not only would I paint it but I would also weather it, even a light weathering for me makes a world of difference but then I appreciate that a lot like them looking as if they are new and just rolled out of the factory shed.

Each to their own.

Thread: You could not make it up ! [Olympic Cycling]
25/07/2021 16:29:49

Looking forward to Adam Peaty 100 metre breath stroke final 3.30am our time. He has broken his own world record time 13 times, will this be number 14..?

Ron

Thread: Power feeds for Chinese mills
11/07/2021 14:20:17

I have thought about adding a table drive to my small mill but havnt got around to it, if I do I will go down the route I took when I added a power cross feed to my Warco 918 lathe and that turned out to work very well.

I kept it simple and used a MFA 975D 12 volt motor with an inline 104/1 epicyclic gearbox which proved to have excellent torque for its size and I,m sure would be more than enough to drive a hobby mill table back and forth including milling and not just table movement.

I used an inexpensive PWM controller which comes with a Fwd/Neutral/Rev switch plus a variable speed pot and powered that with an inexpensive 12 volt supply of suitable amperage. Total cost including cable, switches etc was around £75.

Apart from the motor mount and the leadscrew connection I fashioned a simple dog clutch to disengage the drive from the hand wheel for manual operation.

I,m sure it doesnt have to be complex or expensive to add a drive to the table.

Ron

Thread: First model for a complete beginner
09/07/2021 08:20:39

I went with the Muncaster Simple Oscillating Engine for my first attempt, I just thought it a nice looking engine for a simple one.

I used the Julius de Waal drawing which is available free on line and with dome guidance from Jason it turned out well. I learnt quite a bit on both the mill and lathe in making it. I did change some of the material on some parts and went with a cast flywheel which I thought looked better than the machined one on the drawing.

Pic below

dsc07368.jpg

Edited By Ron Laden on 09/07/2021 08:21:09

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2021
07/06/2021 13:05:06

Oops, so it does I think I need a visit to Spec Savers.

07/06/2021 08:47:29

Very nice Jason the 8 brass part fabrication of the carb looks good. What is the rod/tube between the inlet and exhaust on the manifold is it a brace or something more.?

Thread: Inexpensive inverter mig welders
06/06/2021 10:40:08

Well I now have an auto mask so both hands free and have got into the habit of holding the electrode when the rod is new and full length I find it helps. With a shorter rod length I use both hands to steady the holder and with practice I think I am slowly improving, I am striking an arc much easier now without sticking the rod so much.

Thinking ahead to the 25mm x 14swg box I will be welding up for the driving frame I have watched a few videos on welding thin wall box and avoiding blowing holes into it. One guy suggests using 2.5mm 6011 rods and to move quickly across the joint, too slow and you will just blow holes, it won't be the neatest of welds but should be tidy and a strong joint.

Just wondered what people's thoughts are on that..?

Thread: Hobby mill advice
05/06/2021 05:27:52

If considering a Sieg machine and you can find another £200 over the price of the Sieg SX1LP I can recommend the SX2P.

Table size and machine footprint is the same but the SX2 is a R8 spindle, 500 watt output against the 250 watt for the SX1 and a heavier column.

I am only speaking from my experience with the SX2 which overall I have to say has been very good. Its done all I have asked of it and more, some of which I thought would really test it but used sensibly with the right tooling its always coped well. Reliability has been 100% and for its size as a small hobby mill I really can't fault it.

Edited By Ron Laden on 05/06/2021 05:43:03

Thread: KENNIONS MODEL ENGINEERING SUPPLIES
04/06/2021 07:13:28

The material and parts I get from them is always good, fair pricing, reasonable carriage charges and great service.

Thread: Can you recommend a UK supplier for good quality "mill board"?
04/06/2021 07:00:55

Don't know what it's intended for but have you considered Birch Ply it goes down to 0.4mm thickness wise.

01/06/2021 05:44:51

Can I assume that "you get what you pay for" i.e. cheap versus more expensive which applies to most things also applies to electrodes and can there be a lot of difference in their performance.

The Sip welder came with some 6013 rods and I guess they will be of the cheaper variety but they work and despite my inexperience I am producing welds which are much cleaner, neater and more presentable (though not perfect) than I imagined I would get when starting out. I have also cut through some of my practice welds and the penetration seems half decent, my worry was am I just laying a line of surface weld with no strength.

So is it worth always buying the more expensive brands, do they perform better, can they be easier to use I suspect they probably do and for a beginner it would be good to know that any issues are not the fault of the rods.

Ron

Thread: Removing Column form SX2.7
31/05/2021 13:26:42

Post crossed with Jason's didn't know the pins are angled.

31/05/2021 13:24:47

I have not split a SX2.7 but pretty sure there is two location dowel pins as well as the 4 bolts, so probably tight on the pins. Is there a gap anywhere around the column/base connection where you can get a flat blade in as a lever..?

30/05/2021 12:27:12

Thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated.

A couple of questions:

Keeping the electrodes dry..? My workshop is reasonably dry in that I never see condensation on my machines and my tools don't rust. Is that dry enough or do I need to store them in some way to make certain?

In the videos I have been watching I have seen a couple of people holding the rod holder in one hand and using the other hand to hold the electrode. I can see that it makes sense in keeping the rod very steady but is it advisable or bad practice.

Ron

30/05/2021 09:42:33

Thanks PGK, yes I can see that lots of practice is needed and an auto darkening mask will be a help in leaving both hands free. I have got the sticking rod down to 3 or 4 before achieving the arc which is better than the dozen or more I was getting.

A close up picture of a weld from this morning which I thought not too bad, it's a bit neater than I thought I would get though it could be better I know. The driving seat I am going to build will be 1 inch x 14swg box so have ordered some 2.0mm and 2.5mm rods as I think the 1/8th rods I have will be too heavy.

img_20210530_085514.jpg

29/05/2021 20:48:40

Well I have a welder I went for new in the end. I was looking at second hand but most of them far too big for my small shop plus I couldnt find anything local. The first job for the welder is building a driving trolley for the class 22 and I want to get on with it so rather than wait for the right second hand machine to come along I bought new.

Its a Sip T141P stick welder, although new its a transformer type 40-140 amps, it came with a pair of gloves, wire brush some 6013 rods and a mask for £80. The mask is really basic but it works though I will order an auto mask.

I have been having a bit of a practice but a quarter of that time was spent trying to avoid sticking rods...lol.

Once I had an arc it went quite well though but I can see it will need a fair amount of practice to become a half decent welder, good fun though.

img_20210529_102120.jpg

Edited By Ron Laden on 29/05/2021 20:50:34

Thread: Class 22 Diesel (next project)
25/05/2021 10:19:44

Ready for a track test, a short video where I had the loco jacked on the bench for a motor/controller test, not much to see but it gives the sound and the headlights and rear lights changing with the direction switch. The two lower rear lights are red but they only show as white in the video..? I dont know why but I,m sure someone will.

I did have a sound system for the loco but it unfortunately went pop and I doubt I will buy another one and just go for a two tone horn.

With the loco jacked on the bench I took a maximum rpm reading at the wheels which comes out at 7.5 mph but that is unloaded of course. I would think though with the 500 + watts across 4 motors it should be capable of 7mph (ish) with half a dozen passengers but the club track limit is restricted to 5mph anyway.

It will be interesting to see how it pulls especially when pulling away from standstill, I have gone with the 16T pulleys that came fitted to the motors which gives a 4.5/1 ratio. I would have gone with 6.0/1 by choice but as the motors had the fitted pulleys and apparently they are a bugger to remove I thought I will see how it goes. Should it need lower gearing I can change the pulleys to 12T.

Ron

Edited By Ron Laden on 25/05/2021 10:34:24

24/05/2021 09:18:11

Sorry double post.

Edited By Ron Laden on 24/05/2021 09:19:51

24/05/2021 09:17:46

Thanks guys for the advice, appreciated.

I have been watching and reading beginners guides and reviews on the small inverter type welders, it seems to be a real mixed bag. Some units seem to be ok (ish) and others not very good to the point of been dangerous, one review on a "new" welder (cost £83) found there to be no fuse in the 13amp plug but a piece of thick copper wire soldered across the fuse connectors.."scary"

I am thinking of going with a stick welder to make a start and following Noels advice and finding a second hand older type welder. I have had a quick look and there seems to be a fair number of them for sale at very reasonable prices. I dont have the space for a large unit so it will have to be smallish to medium size if I can find one.

I appreciate that whatever type of welder I go with it is going to take some practice and learning to become anything like reasonable and able to produce a decent weld, should be fun though.

Thanks again for the advice.

Ron

23/05/2021 09:29:08

Morning Guys

I would appreciate any thoughts good or bad on the small inexpensive (£50 - £75) inverter type mig welders, does anyone have or use one and if so their experience with it.

I guess I,m asking are they any good for light work say up to 3mm or are they a waste of money and best avoided. I am a beginner when it comes to welding so I suppose that needs taking into account.

Thanks

Ron

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
cowells
ChesterUK
walker midge
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest