By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ron Laden

Here is a list of all the postings Ron Laden has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: My new lathe a Warco 918
04/07/2020 12:37:46

Sorry double post why I keep getting this I have no idea.

Edited By Ron Laden on 04/07/2020 12:38:41

04/07/2020 12:36:14

The lathe came with a number of accessories, one of which is a vertical milling slide (picture below) I have never used it as I have the mill but this morning was the first time I have taken a good look at it. It looks to be quite decent quality, certainly robust and with a very smooth action on the lead screw with no play or backlash. The vice is good to for its type and I think the swivel arrangement on the mounting plate is well thought out.

I wondered if anyone can recognise it as shop bought or homemade, just interested.

img_20200704_121540.jpg

03/07/2020 05:50:01

Morning Martin,

I have sketched the circuit adding the diodes etc can you check I have it correct. Also, I have shown the switch to how you suspect it will be and I have assumed it will be cross wired 1a to 2b and 2a to 1b..?

Thanks

Ron

img_20200703_052436.jpg

02/07/2020 13:25:42

Thanks yet again Martin, will let you know how I get on once the parts arrive

Ron

02/07/2020 12:57:34

Hi Martin,

I have a multi meter so I can check, as well as the switch I have the diodes and micro switches on the way plus I have an old small dc motor so I can wire all up on the bench to test it out before wiring the cross slide motor just to be safe.

Thanks again for your help.

Ron

02/07/2020 12:21:51

Thanks Martin, very much appreciated.

Excuse my ignorance but are the diodes not needed..?

Also the DPDT switch I have coming has three terminals down one side numbered 1,2 and 3 and three numbered 4,5 and 6 down the other side, can you tell me how the 1a,1b etc in the circuit drawing cross reference to my switch.

Many thanks

Ron

Edited By Ron Laden on 02/07/2020 12:23:29

02/07/2020 07:01:25

Morning guys, I have been struggling to find a solution to the lead screw drive wiring and not understanding much about electrics doesn't help. I did find a circuit yesterday which I have sketched below. It shows the two limit switches and a DPDT switch for reversing the drive. Could any of you knowledgeable guys tell me if it looks OK or otherwise.

Thanks

Ron

img_20200702_064942.jpg

29/06/2020 14:14:13

I need some help guys, I need to fit a limit switch at each end of the cross slide to stop the drive and prevent a mechanical over run, I was hoping to use a pair of micro switches. The motor speed controller has two controls a rotary pot for speed with an off switch built in and then a SPDT switch with a central neutral and forward one side and reverse the other.

I obviously need to be able to reverse the drive off the limit switch at either end but havnt much idea of how to go about it. I would like to keep it simple if that is possible but electrickery is not one of my strong points so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ron

p.s. forgot to say the motor and controller are 24 volt DC.

28/06/2020 17:38:48

Well some success I think, the cross slide drive with the heavier duty motor/gearbox seems to have more than enough torque to cope with heavyish facing and parting. A couple of videos below showing a GT insert facing with a 1.5 mm cut across some 6082, also parting off some inch and three quarter EN8 with an insert parting tool.

No hesitation or stalling, really pleased with the parting that was the operation I was hoping would turn out ok. Since doing the video I have faced the 6082 with a couple of heavier test cuts 2.00 and 2.5 mm, again no problem with the drive but I dont want to start getting silly.

Apologies for the video, "bad camera position" but I think it shows the drive works well.

So quite chuffed I now have a driven cross slide.

26/06/2020 08:04:37

Mk11 version, a much higher torque motor/box and a modified dog clutch. The previous clutch with the internal spring and hand lever worked but it was awkward to use. So I have removed the spring and lever and drilled a pair of holes for a spring loaded 4mm ball bearing which locates the traveller in the engaged/disengaged positions. Just waiting for some 4mm balls to arrive, I had 2 but lost both to the workshop gremlins in no time at all.

If all works out OK I will see if I can get some video of it making some cuts especially parting.

img_20200626_073304.jpg

Thread: Further Adventures with the Sieg KX3 & KX1
25/06/2020 08:32:24

Thanks Jason, out of interest how long did it take to programme a part like this and how long the machining time start to finish.

Ron

24/06/2020 09:33:37

That is very impressive Jason imagine attempting that in manual, the finished item looks superb. Good to see my favourite end mill in action, on aluminium I run mine at the mills top speed 2500 rpm, what speed were your running it sounded higher.

Great stuff.

23/06/2020 15:05:04

Hi Niels,

You are quite correct with First guess re the motor I went with, actually it is not the Mclennan motor but a cheapie version, it didnt come with any torque figures but with a similar spec I assumed similar output figures. Working out the drive/clutch parts was fairly straight forward but to be honest I had no idea when it came to the size of a geared motor.

I really went down to basics for the output speed, I simply did a series of facing cuts in steel and aluminium and timed the number of turns on the hand wheel to get an average speed working at the rate I would normally, that led me to 100 - 120 rpm (approx)

Power/torque required was really a finger in the air job and more by luck than judgement I wasnt too far away. I can face 1.0 mm deep in EN1A and parting with a 2mm insert was no problem on the same material. As I mentioned though I think I was running out of steam when parting some EN8, so although I am happy with the rpm range I think more torque is required. I would have thought a 120rpm motor/gearbox with something around 1Nm in the way of torque would be fine, well from what I am seeing with my lathe at least.

I do have another motor/gearbox in the drawer which is a MFA 975D1041 6 - 12 volt 5.5 amp 67rpm (though mine is faster than that) its listed at 2Nm which is 12X (not the 4X I mentioned earlier) than the motor fitted currently.

So I am going to give it a try, will let you know how it turns out.

Ron

23/06/2020 09:06:45

I now have a driven cross slide which has worked out quite well, tested it this morning with various cuts, various materials. With brass and aluminium it sailed through it with no issues but of course steel would be more of a test. I put up some 25mm EN1A and tried various facing cuts, I went up to 1.00 mm which was fine and it would probably handle more but I didnt push it. The thing I was hoping the drive would handle is parting so using the rear tool post and a 2.0 mm insert I tried the steel. No issues at all, no grabs, no hesitation, cut smoothly all the way through, how nice it was to have both hands free whilst parting off.

I then tried parting some EN8 and the drive wasnt so happy with that, it hesitated a couple of times. I think the answer is to upgrade the motor/box to one with a higher torque rating. I happen to have one, its a bit bigger in diameter, twice as long but with 4X the torque of the one I am using and wont need that much work to change it over.

The way I have gone about fitting the drive means the motor/box/clutch and drive hanging out the back off the saddle. To use an inline motor on the centre line of the lead screw it has to be positioned that way as the cross slide runs out 90mm when fully rearward. It would be possible to have the motor closer and tucked underneath the cross slide but it would mean building a gearbox of some sort.

Anyway pleased with the drive it works well enough, just a couple of improvements to do, change the motor and sort the electrics plus build a small control unit and fit to the front of the lathe.

img_20200623_064146.jpg

Thread: Another Engine Build
18/06/2020 12:46:41

Hi Geoff, not my idea re fitting the piston to the rod it's as per Jason's drawings and build notes, seems a good idea to me though.

Ron

18/06/2020 07:51:47

Well back on the ranch, I honed the cylinder this morning and made the piston and rod. I fitted the O ring, a drop of oil and it seems to be a nice fit, should run OK.

img_20200618_073954.jpg

Thread: Stuart 10V Build Log - Complete Beginner...
17/06/2020 14:35:23

I tend to use the test indicator now to find the centre on round parts both internal and external, quite quick to do and accurate.

17/06/2020 05:52:13

Forgot to add the pic of the parts that make up the clutch.

img_20200617_054513.jpg

16/06/2020 14:48:15

A couple of pictures of my take on a dog clutch for the cross slide feed, the slotted traveller is spring loaded with an internal compression spring keeping it pushed back and disengaged against the lever boss. To engage the clutch the lever boss is slid forward pushing the traveller to engage both pins for drive. I will have a stepped or angled slot on the motor mount for the lever to engage in maintaining the connection of the two pins.

img_20200616_133817.jpg

I used the end of the top slide to keep the sprung traveller engaged, the lever will be held in a slot on the actual fitting to the lathe.

img_20200616_133914.jpg

14/06/2020 08:02:04

Turned up and tried for size the first part of the drive leaving enough material on the rear which will become the first half of the clutch. Still working on that, I have a couple of ideas trying to keep it simple but effective.

img_20200614_074801.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest