By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bill Phinn

Here is a list of all the postings Bill Phinn has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Is there ever a time to let politics come into the forum
27/02/2022 01:11:28

It's quite possible for people who have differing political views to discuss politics with one another without the conversation becoming abusive; the snag is that to do so often requires more self-discipline and focus than many people can muster.

This is the reason why political discussions on forums tend to turn into slanging matches and why moderators prefer members to steer clear of them.

Thread: How can I cut a 0.75mm radius on a piece of soft rubber sheeting?
26/02/2022 22:05:01

Clive's corner rounding technique is a standard one in the restoration of antiquarian books.

If missing fly leaves or a missing corner of a page has to be supplied from matching old paper the repair will look very obtrusive unless the sharp tip of the page is rounded off to match the usually quite rounded profiles of the tips of the adjacent leaves.

Edited By Bill Phinn on 26/02/2022 22:05:23

Thread: Acceptable run-out on Axminster SX1 milling machine?
24/02/2022 21:54:41
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 24/02/2022 16:49:04:

The main problem is that to sell gear that is 100% tested at the factory will easily increase the price several times.

Is it the testing that mostly accounts for the higher prices of higher priced ER collets? I always thought it was mostly the cost of the machinery required to make them, the expertise and employee commitment required to operate it effectively, the materials used, the extra time probably invested per unit item to achieve the required precision, and the inevitable reduced market demand for a relatively expensive alternative to much cheaper options - something that will always militate against economies of scale.

Thread: Brian Hutchings
22/02/2022 20:44:37

Sincere condolences to all Brian's family.

Thread: Always confused over threads and tapping
20/02/2022 23:31:00

Michael, I've used these successfully with magnification to distinguish UNC from BSW but I'm usually defeated by sizes below 3/16" unless I sit down with the fastener clamped and use high magnification in very good light.

Can you give any quick tips on what is required to take photos like the one in your post and overlay a 55 degree angle of exactly the right size?

Thread: Acceptable run-out on Axminster SX1 milling machine?
20/02/2022 21:49:57

I've bought three ER20 collet chucks: one from eBay, two from shop-apt.co.uk.

Runout on all of them was markedly worse than the runout on my ER25 and ER32 collet chucks bought from Arc and apt respectively.

I'm half tempted to believe ER20 collet chucks cannot, for some obscure reason, be easily made to run true when other sizes can.

Thread: Answering Machine Messages
20/02/2022 18:32:09

Only number 5 would induce me to want to actually leave a message.

Thread: What type of steel
20/02/2022 18:01:30
Posted by pgrbff on 20/02/2022 10:28:56:
Posted by David Senior on 20/02/2022 10:22:29:

I buy ground flat stock from Cromwell (cromwell.co.uk). They offer 1/4" x 3/4" x 18" long Order code IND-413-0704E. As for shipping to Italy - who knows!

Dave

Yes, I found Cromwell, they seem more reasonably priced than elsewhere.

Cromwell are consistently more expensive than their alter ego Zoro. Their prices for 1/4" x 3/4" x 18" ground stock are no exception.

Edited By Bill Phinn on 20/02/2022 18:04:19

Thread: Alternatives to Loctite
19/02/2022 14:13:20
Posted by not done it yet on 19/02/2022 13:39:00:

Surely this hinges on the reliability of the product? Can’t imagine NASA using a cheaply specified adhesives, sealants etc..

Sadly, with many things there's a very imperfect correlation between price and reliability, particularly nowadays.

In the case of most established thread lockers at least, from the cheap brands to the expensive ones, reliability may more often be determined by the way the end user applies the stuff than by the chemical composition of the product.

I suspect at Nasa they apply the stuff in accordance with the instructions.

Thread: Front door locks
19/02/2022 13:46:11

I've had to enter quite a few properties in my area using keys stowed in key safes.

My experience tells me:

• they are frequently badly sited and badly fitted.
  • they frequently show signs of having been tampered with.
  • the combination rollers can be sticky and/or very temperamental, meaning that even if you hit the right combination the safe won't open.
  • The occupant is in but has locked the door from the inside by some other means that cannot be overcome with the key.
  • The key is sometimes not in there because a previous visitor forgot to put the key back before they drove off. (Guilty myself of that one)

My conclusion is that if you live in a decent area a key safe is probably OK, and if the area is a high-crime one they won't need your key anyway in order to break in.

Thread: Spectacles
18/02/2022 19:29:12
Posted by Vic on 18/02/2022 18:28:08:

Are there any modern versions of these available at modest cost?

Yes, but they're very unlikely to be pleasant to work with if the cost is below around £500.

Can I take it you do know why dentists wear these flip-up or through-the-lens loupes rather than, say, Optivisors?

Thread: Alternatives to Loctite
18/02/2022 13:10:38

I have used quite a few of the Everbuild adhesives sold by Toolstation. They may be even cheaper than Powerbond in some cases.

For thread lockers I am currently using Visbella products, namely Visbella 6271 and Visbella 6642. They work very well indeed.

Thread: Here's an interesting one
17/02/2022 20:55:17

Another corker is the Stihl MS881 chainsaw they're selling at $89.99, when the price in the UK starts at around £1500 for the bare saw.

I'm not sure either what the words "Copyright 2022 © Costco" are doing at the bottom of the page, just under the page links headed "Customer Satisfactor" (sic) and "Intellecture (sic) Property Rights".

Thread: Yesterday channel at 21.00
15/02/2022 13:11:55
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 15/02/2022 12:06:24:

With no TV I cannot judge what's being broadcast now but I recall watching the original Dibnah series on my parents' TV. Looking back, I do wonder if some of it was him playing, unwittingly or willfully, to the camera!

Anyone who's prepared to do what Fred is doing here at 4 minutes in can play to the camera as much as he likes, as far as I'm concerned.

15/02/2022 11:45:16

I seem to remember Fred's personal health and safety protocol consisted of running away very quickly whilst sounding a klaxon and shouting "It's goin', it's goin'."

The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there.

Thread: missing parcel
14/02/2022 18:40:40
Posted by Steve Skelton 1 on 14/02/2022 18:14:44:

We sell using eBay via Royal Mail most days. If you have proof of delivery from Royal Mail then eBay will accept that and you should not have any comeback. EBay go on the tracking info and if it is shown as delivered then it has been in their view.

You are correct about eBay's position. However, there can still be comeback for the seller if the buyer pursues a chargeback with his card provider, and the card provider for their part are satisfied the item was not in fact delivered in spite of the RM tracking claiming it was.

Thread: Covid
14/02/2022 18:28:45
Posted by Ady1 on 14/02/2022 17:28:37:

"Social Darwinism" is a middle class construct

Darwinism treats everything with complete equality

You've strongly suggested you have a faulty understanding of what Darwinism is.

14/02/2022 16:33:55
Posted by DMB on 14/02/2022 15:22:22:How many other species have grown to such population, apart from rats?

Given that insects are estimated to outnumber humans by 1.4 billion to one, quite a few, I'd imagine.

Posted by Ady1 on 14/02/2022 10:27:49:

With Darwinism the future belongs to those who face reality and get on with life

That sounds more like social Darwinism than Darwinism.

Darwinian natural selection doesn't necessarily favour the survival of organisms that face reality and get on with life [whatever is meant by that]; it favours the survival of genes that, in spite of or because of the environment in which the phenotypes carrying them live, happen to get passed on.

Thread: Hand Held Magnifiers?
12/02/2022 20:55:38
Posted by Peter Greene 🇨🇦 on 12/02/2022 17:17:34:

I'm curious though: how is the magnification (" 10x " in this case) calculated for something like this?

They think of an impressive sounding round number and calculate most people aren't going to know any better.

Yes, most economy magnifiers and loupes are definitely not the magnification they're claimed to be.

I use a Schweizer magnifier, and Eschenbach and Belomo loupes. I have the Belomos in 8X, 10X, 12X, 15X, and 20X magnifications, though I only really use the 8X to 12X ones most of the time.

Edited By Bill Phinn on 12/02/2022 20:56:30

Thread: Mill Lighting
10/02/2022 19:07:16

Wall-mounted Anglepoise-type lights either side of the machine that can be pulled down close to the work if needed, and an angel eyes ring light around the quill.

What I haven't yet managed to illuminate adequately is the small quill DRO; it's so dim and so close to my eyes that I can never satisfactorily see both it and the thing I'm working on. If it was LED like my main DRO rather than LCD it would be much more user-friendly.

Is there such a thing as an LED quill DRO?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate