By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for larry phelan 1

Here is a list of all the postings larry phelan 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Metal Cutting Power Saw
06/03/2019 12:10:58

How the Hell do you manage to work in a shop that small ?????? I salute you ! My place is 40X20 feet and I still fall over stuff !

Thread: Lathe screwcutting
06/03/2019 11:33:38

Screwcutting is one of the jobs I really like doing,and although I am no expert [far from it ! ],I get fairly good results and great satisfaction from it.

May I suggest that you pick up a copy of Sparey,s book,where you will find ALL the info you need,explained in very simple terms [even I could understand it ! ] Everything is explained and he mentions that even at that time,leaving the half nuts engaged for all threads was becoming common in industry. I never use the thread dial for any threads.

I have cut threads up to 2 1/4 " 8 tpi without any trouble,left and right hand. Sounds like you are missing your start point each time,also,no need to invert the tool,works OK right way up. Tool was nothing more than HSS,ground by eye to form.

Give it a try,it will come to you.

Thread: Milling Collet Jammed in Taper
05/03/2019 12:28:11

Yes,that,s what I would try,and before someone shoots me down,let me say that I tend to use a smart tap with my lump hammer,since I dont have a lead hammer.I find it,s better than fooling around with a too light hammer.

Something I came across last week in Lidl might be of interest to other members with millings machines.

I have a LUX mill,on a stand,which brings the top of the spindle quite difficult to reach for changing drawbars.

Tried standing on a beer crate,not very steady,not high enough,not safe. Came across a small fold up set of steps,well made light to handle rock steady,and all for 16 Euro !

Down side is that if SWMBO see,s them they,re gone !!

Might be worth looking at.

Thread: Lathe Identification
18/02/2019 13:17:28

Two points re the above,

! Carl, I never heard of that make !!!

2 Nicholas, Very few people can wear shorts successfully,and many who do should think twice about it.

There is a time and a place and more to the point an age. [to say nothing about a shape ]smileysmiley

Thread: Scary Technology
12/02/2019 11:14:05

Just a thought along those lines ;

It has come to light that criminals are using drones to check out properties in rural areas around here,looking for trailers,ride-on mowers,quads ect,which are not always on view from the road.

If we have them,I,m sure you have too,Just be careful to lock up your gear.sadsad

Thread: releasing tapers
11/02/2019 16:16:08

Dave [S-O-D ]

I saw that hint about the timber cover for the lathe bed in Sparey,s book many moons ago,and it was the first thing I made for the lathe. It,s a lot cheaper than trying to repair a damaged bed if a chuck slips at the wrong moment.

As an aside,I often wondered about those tangs too,I thought at one time that they were there to provide the drive.

And yes,some MT centers are shorter than others and can get stuck in the tailstock.

How do I know???? ASK ME !!sad

Thread: Knurling Wheel Comparison / Supplier ?
07/02/2019 13:13:39

I made a simple clamp type unit for my lathe [not very pretty,but it works ] As I remember,I bought the wheels from Chronos and have never had any trouble with them. For the amount of knurling we need to do,I think such wheels are good enough and are cheap enough to replace. Different story if you are knurling every day,but who is ?cheeky

Thread: Milling on the Chester Craftsman
01/02/2019 11:14:41

I have a Craftsman lathe and sad to say,it has only one slot at the back of the cross slide. I suspect this is intended for mounting a back tool post,thats what I use it for anyway. When they said it had a slotted cross slide,I assumed that meant several slots for mounting other fittings. This is not the case, so I,m not sure it could be used for milling.

Thread: Cut a slot in round stock
01/02/2019 11:05:05

Hi Ady1 An angle grinder ?

Thread: Parting off tool - straight or angled.
01/02/2019 10:59:02

Hi Hopper,

I too always use the parting off tool mounted in the rear toolpost,but never tried parting off as shown in your picture !! I seldom use a steady but I can see how useful it could be when dealing with big dia bars.

Thanks for the post.smiley

Thread: In search of Peter Rawlinson
30/01/2019 16:41:23

Sad to say,this answers the original question.

I read many of his articles ,and while they were way above my standard,the were always well worth reading,as I,m sure others will agree. Such people come along,once in a lifetime,and if you are lucky enough to know them or meet them,that is a bonus.

Others may put it better,all I can say is May God rest him,he will be sadly missed.sad

Thread: Tail stock for turret lathe
25/01/2019 13:52:53

Yes indeed Howard !!

Thread: Metric thread cutting in a lathe
25/01/2019 13:43:22

When you get to the stage where you can just about make out the lines on a 6" rule,precision takes on a whole new meaning !!

When it comes to screwcutting,I just turn the bar to the full size and thread away,have a nut to hand to check the fit.

Nothing fancy,but it works [most times ]smiley

Thread: Cast Iron Straight Edge
23/01/2019 12:41:59

My spindle moulder came from a "Well known and respected" maker,brand new.

First time I used it,I found that the two fences were not in line with each other. This was due to the horseshoe casting being faulty. I believe that this was due to stresses which were not released because it was not left long enough to "weather". It seems this is no longer done,for cost reasons,I suppose.

Returning it to the makers was not an option,due to cost,so I took it to a local machine shop to have the faces ground true. I was told that there was quite an error,most likely caused by the casting being machined while too fresh. The unit did not strike me as being a very good design,since it went from fairly thick sections to very thin ones,not a good idea ! I was advised to "keep an eye on it" since it might go off a little more later on,but if it does,bring it back and we will skim it for you" Fair deal !

They said castings are treated using "New methods",which dont always work,they believed the old way was better.

Thread: Is it just me?
23/01/2019 12:09:46

I often wonder if some of these companies really want your business,or are they just showing off.

As regards "Press 1 for this,2 for that 3 for something else" that just gives me a pain in my arse. plus the fact that you will be left hanging on-and-on-and on,listening to silly "music",fit for a two year old half-wit.

This must be one of the biggest clubs in the World,and it,s Free to join !!!

Thread: Progress No2 GS Pillar Drill
23/01/2019 11:51:19

Yes,I,ve had a few jobs like that. Now,I tend to think twice,before leaving things alone,since the "cure" is often worse than the fault.sad

Thread: failed Dial Caliper
23/01/2019 11:29:27

Harsh words from Dave,but,so true,so true !!

Neither a borrower nor a lender be--------Else you end up with nothing.sad

Thread: Low voltage bulbs
15/01/2019 13:28:58

The worklight on my Craftsman lathe uses standard 24 v headlamp bulbs,which I can get in my local Auto shop.

Can,t remember when I last had to replace a bulb. These lamps were flogged off by Chester at one of their "Open Days" some years ago and I bought two of them for £10. One for my lathe,one for the Mill. Good deal!.

They look like the old searchlights,but they work !

Thread: lathe to cut 26tpi
15/01/2019 13:12:53

Hi Robert,

I have a Chester Craftsman long bed lathe which will cut 26tpi straight off. It cuts quite a wide range of threads,both Metric and Whit,and has a 1 1/2" bore. Might be wort looking at.

Thread: L.A.Van Royen Twist Drills and their Grinding
09/01/2019 11:24:29

Yes Postal Orders are still around,over here anyway.Strange to say,there are still a few places which will not accept cash [not many ! ],cheques or cards.

Some years ago when I went to tax my car,an import, I had to present it in person,to the Revenue so that they could check the engine/frame number,ect. and give me a new reg number. For this they charged 100 Euro,but to my surprise,would not accept cash,cheque,or card ! They wanted a good old-fashioned Postal Order,nothing else !

As it happened,the Post Office was just across the road,so I got one there. The Post Office teller was not surprised when I explained what it was for. He said "We gave up years ago trying to understand that shower,they live in a world of their own"

Fast forward a few more years to when Property Tax came along,this time around REVENUE had no problem accepting cards !! Maybe someone turned on the lights. ?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Allendale Electronics
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest