By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for larry phelan 1

Here is a list of all the postings larry phelan 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Power feed for mill head
01/07/2020 08:25:49

Hi Ian,

Forgot to ask, how did you arrange your 24v supply ? Where did you get it from ?

Edited By JasonB on 01/07/2020 11:11:46

Thread: TOOLS EXPLAINED BY A DO-IT-YOUR SELFER
29/06/2020 19:42:30

Oh happy days !!!

Thread: Power feed for mill head
29/06/2020 13:42:26

Thanks Ian, that was quick indeed !

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a parvalux motor and where do I look for one ?

What about the gearbox, is that a separate unit ?

29/06/2020 13:08:46

I have a LUX milling machine to which I would like to fit a power drive in order to raise and lower the head, [I get weary turning the handle ]

There was a post on this forum some time ago where some guy used a cordless drill for this, but it must have been some drill because my mill just laughed at me when I tried that. Is there a way of fitting a motor, perhaps using a reduction drive unit ? Have any of you ever done this ? and if so, how ?

Any ideas welcome. I believe some of the later mills have this feature.

Thanks for any assistance.indecision

Thread: Anyone made Myfordboy's powered hacksaw?
29/06/2020 10:08:43

Might sound like a silly question, but why bother with a saw which uses only some of its teeth when you could have a bandsaw using all its teeth ?frown

Thread: Stroboscopic effect
28/06/2020 20:20:25

I was told never to use fluorescent lights anywhere near machines with revolving parts, since they could make it look as if the part was still.

Not a great idea if the chuck is going at a rate of knots !

Thread: TOOLS EXPLAINED BY A DO-IT-YOUR SELFER
28/06/2020 19:20:44

Have found all of those uses for them, plus a few more !!

Thread: Machining internal thread
26/06/2020 08:08:51

I think that,s the way most people do it.smiley

Thread: Halifax 524 Headstock
25/06/2020 13:03:56

I find it very difficult to believe that the seller was not aware of that level of damage , but I am surprised that you did nod notice it yourself. These are not just minor cracks, looks like that machine got some rough treatment along the way. I fear you may have bought "A PIG IN A POKE". The time and trouble involved in repairing it would make it a very expensive buy. As Brian Wood said, I think it,s a non-starter.

Having seen some of the crap being offered for sale [with a straight face ], I believe nothing I,m told, and little I see.

I think you may have a battle on your hands.sad

Thread: Buying first lathe
22/06/2020 09:45:01

A friend of mine used to say, "A coat of paint would make the Devil a saint"

Fair point ! I prefer to see these things before they are tarted up.

Thread: Constantly Having To Log In To The Website
22/06/2020 09:33:41

I thought I was the only one this happened to. I,m so happy I,m not alone.

Thread: ...I'll just finish up this part..
22/06/2020 09:31:45

Just as well everything went well for you, you could have had problems with that job !!cheeky

Thread: M Type Apron Direction
21/06/2020 16:17:12

Could never understand why some lathes were made like that ,arse about face.

One would think that common sense would dictate that to move right, one should turn right !

The ways of the Lord are strange, those of the makers, even more so.

Thread: Unknown thread
21/06/2020 16:08:09

Whitworth bolts are very hard to get over here [Ireland ], I had to make some for a friend to repair his old farm equipment. Just as well I have a collection of Whit and B,S,F taps and dies, never know when they might come in handy.

Thread: Odd Screw on Boxford Tailstock
21/06/2020 16:00:23

I have just like that on my Craftsman lathe, never knew what it was for [really ] but it does prevent the locking lever from falling down on the bed. And I was thinking about cutting it off !!

Thread: Curiosity Tap and Die
21/06/2020 15:52:20

Ours not to reason why just to get on with it !

Thread: Weeds in a 'lawn'
21/06/2020 15:46:14

A blowtorch ?

Thread: Making Parallels
20/06/2020 17:50:03

The approach by Tom Walshaw [Tubal , Cain, often wondered where he got that name from, or why ] seems like a real down-to- earth way. Good to see that someone else uses the hammer to solve problems !

Thread: boring head and tools
19/06/2020 17:43:12

Boring bars are easy enough to make LH or RH, much the same as internal threading tools LH/RH.

I have made several and they worked well. Only problem I had was when I tried an internal grooving tool, but we wont talk about that !!

Make up one as Jason says and it will work fine. Those heads have many uses, as you will find.

Thread: New member in Ireland
18/06/2020 13:02:51

As you say, all makers have their Monday morning/Friday evening offerings. I have had some of them, and not just cheap ones either.

Most of the Chinese stuff is OK, not toolroom but not priced at that level either. Good enough for everyday metalbashing.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Allendale Electronics
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest