By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for larry phelan 1

Here is a list of all the postings larry phelan 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Lathe Mill Combo setup
28/04/2019 14:22:34

Regarding packing for tool height,I use whatever is to hand

Old saw blades

Beer cans [empty ]

Offcuts of sheet steel or Ali.

Sometimes even "Proper "shim !

The list is endless and everyone does it,since not. everyone has QCTP,s

It,s been around for years,it,s cheap and it works,

Thread: A Unique Word?
27/04/2019 12:28:41

I seem to remember that someone in "Aliice in wonderland"said of some word,"It means what I want it to mean,neither more nor less"

Seems like a very simple answer ,and suits all situations,something like our "Leaders" like to use.

Thread: Bolted or Feet?
26/04/2019 12:28:06

Once saw big bandsaw topple sideways off a pallet. It was Scary and it did not improve the machine either,so I can imagine what it did for the Bridgeport.

Dont like narrow bases on any machines,so I would think about increasing its footprint.

My Lux mill is bolted to a solid box tubing stand,but I still fixed a retaining strap from the top of the column to the back wall. Something like "Belt,braces,and safety pin "

Thread: DIY Bed Gap
24/04/2019 16:16:00

When I read this post,I blinked,shook my old grey head,and thought,this must be a miss-print !

From my experience [all of which could be written on the back of a stamp ],I would have to say that this is not the brightest idea I have come across,for two reasons.

A It will not do much for your machine,may even do harm,as others have pointed out.

B I would not even attempt to clean up old discs,or indeed attempt to "repair" anything to do with the brakes on my car/van.. These parts are made to last X miles,no more. Like tires,your life depends on them,so,forget it. New discs are cheaper than a wooden box.

Am now going to make a cup of STRONG tea,while I get over this "idea".

Thread: Where's my Dykem blue gone - there's no need to read this
18/04/2019 16:28:42

Old friend of mine,with a very untidy shop,always maintained that he had no trouble finding things [which surprised me,somewhat ]

He said "Ti,s simply a question of remembering where you last dropped it "

But,therein lies the problem !!

Thread: Hard to please OAPs
15/04/2019 18:13:46

I am not hard to please,as long as I get what I want,I,m happy.

If I get it for nothing,all the better.!

Again,sounds like most of us !!.

Thread: Impressive Workshop in Germany
15/04/2019 18:10:21

That workshop looks exactly like mine,a place for everything and everything in its place. Neat and tidy,clean floor [plus brush ],good lighting ect.

To me that would be just like a home-from-home,well,more or less. [maybe less ]

Must have cost quite a few Marks/Euros to set it up Sour grapes ? Yes of course,but then, I like grapes !

No,really,it,s a fine set up and I wish him luck and a long life to enjoy it.

Meanwhile,back at the ranch---------------- now where did I drop that Allen key? must be here somewhere !cheeky

Thread: Waterproof cabinet / box?
15/04/2019 17:25:49

I have a 10hp R/c to power my workshop.

I mounted it on an angle iron frame,screwed to the wall,one to cut down on the noise by being mounted on a shelf [this was a no-go,too noisy ] The second reason was to save floor space.. There was still some noise from it,not a lot,but this was solved by fitting a plywood cover,open at the bottom. To date this has worked well,noise is very little,damp is not a problem. I would say,keep it inside,too easy to have it knocked off,and they dont come cheap.

Thread: How to get that high end paint finish
13/04/2019 17:51:37

If you intend to use your lathe,rather than just look at it,you might save yourself a great deal of trouble.

The drip tray on my lathe was finished in a nice shade of dark blue as new. In no time flat,between cutting oil and swarf there was very little left of the paint finish. I touched it up a few times,but then gave it up as a waste of time. Strange to say,it has not rusted,so I leave it alone and just get on with the job.

Machines are there to be used,not admired.,so if the paintwork on my lathe is not the"correct" shade,so what ?,the machine still works.

Thread: anealing piano wire
13/04/2019 17:41:06

I always thought piano wire was something used in piano making,seems like I was wrong..

Can anyone tell me what exactly is it and what is it used for ? [apart from pianos ] 5/32" seems very thick for wire ?

One learns something new every day,no doubt about it !

Thread: Black Holes
12/04/2019 17:28:30

I too have a black hole,into which everything I want to use seems to vanish,sometimes never to be seen again.

Ex A box full of 6mm nuts,never taken out of the workshop, where did they go ??? Where indeed,that was six months ago.. Spanners,magnetic pick-ups 6 " rule ----------ect,ect.

All ideas welcome !

Thread: Lathe on machine feet
12/04/2019 13:15:54

Regarding the difficulty of marking the holes for bolting down,Chester gave the spacing for the holes,so I simply cut a piece if plywood the full size of the lathe footprint,marked out the holes then screwed the ply to the floor while drilling the bolt holes. Worked very well,no bother finding the holes through the pedestal base.

Thread: ECLIPSE No 39 Drill Bit Sharpener
11/04/2019 17:09:59

That should read "I spent about three days on and off"",now,a few minuets serves to touch them up,and they cut with a clean hiss.

Old Age,failing eyes= bad spelling !

11/04/2019 16:32:13

Many moons ago,I bought a Martex Drill Sharpening kit and despite my best efforts,could not get it to work. Tried it every way,was kind to it,cursed it,still no use,so, dumped it on the back shelf.

Time passed,blunt drills built up in huge numbers and my skill with the bench grinder was sadly lacking. I was losing the battle. While looking for something else,I came across the Martex once again. Set it up,read the instructions again,seemed clear enough,so gave it a try. Result ?a drill as good as new ! How come ? No idea,but to be sure I tried another one. Again Success !!!!. No idea what I did wrong first time around,but I now have a box of sharp drills from 3mm to 12mm. My skill with the grinder has improved somewhat,so if the drill is chipped or angle is wrong,I correct that as best I can,then check it with the Martex,which will show where it need to be reground [The Martex sharpens drills,it does not grind them to shape ] Between both machines,I get good results.

The Martex was not cheap at the time but neither are good drills,8mm upwards. I spend about three days,on and off,on the job and regard it as time well spent

Regarding those jigs which are supposed to work with a bench grinder,do you know anyone who has got any of them to work? I dont.

Thread: Changing Broadband
11/04/2019 16:05:28

Dont talk to me about "V" or "O",one is worse than the other. The fact is they dont care a fig about their customers,any more than Banks do,just pay up and shut up.

It,s a case of "We have your money,now UP YOU !".

Thread: Lathe on machine feet
11/04/2019 15:42:03

Hi Adrian R,

I have a Craftsman lathe,somewhat similar to your machine. My lathe sits on two pedestals ,which I bolted to the floor after fixing them to the machine.Found no need to bother with shims. At one high speed,which I seldom use,I detected a slight vibration,so I fixed a strut from the back of the headstock to the back wall,problem solved !

Since my lathe is belt driven,I had no need to worry about oil leaks.

Even without bolting down,I doubt if it would topple over

Thread: Milling curves
09/04/2019 11:19:18

Would have to agree with many others that for a "one -off" it would be quicker to use a hacksaw and a file.

As others pointed out it takes far longer to set up for a job than it takes to do it [my experience,anyway. ]

If you want to cut gears,you will need a rotary table,but no need to have it motor driven. Great help available on this site regarding this subject. How do I know ? Ask me ! Thank you Brian !!

My advice,for what it,s worth : buy a few hand tools and get used to them first before getting involved with machines. Remember MACHINES NEVER SLEEP !!.And they dont come cheap either.

Thread: A close shave or why safety glasses are a must
09/04/2019 11:01:13

Better to look "silly"than to be silly.Some timbers can be unforgiving,as I know only too well.

All shops can be dangerous,just have to use common sense [What,s that ,I hear you say ? ],yes indeed.

It,s a rear gift,given to few,but needed by many. You might manage your shop minus a finger or two,but without your eyes ???????. That,s a No No !

I have had a few disputes with my saws,routers,even my spindle moulder and have the proof but nothing too serious,although few of my fingers are quite the same shape they use to be [makes my hands look "interesting",as a Doctor once said to me ]

So have fun but Do take care. They dont give out medals in our line.

Thread: Colchester Triumph 7.5" (Round Head) Lathe
08/04/2019 15:27:18

Since there is no grub screw or no roll pin,it has to be a key [this would also account for the sudden death ]

Sad to say,looks like the shaft will have to come out,but then,it has had a good innings !

Do let us know what you find.

Thread: Sending of heavy items
08/04/2019 15:05:21

Same with our library here,great service great staff,great help for us old sods who can,t work these printers,copiers,ect. Just ask them nicely and the do the rest.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale May 19
Eccentric Engineering
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest