By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for David Caunt

Here is a list of all the postings David Caunt has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Extension to Digital Version
16/09/2021 23:04:50

308 Arrived in today's post in High Wycombe.

Thread: Cannot log in!
01/09/2021 22:43:38

Just had the same problem so did the renew password in account. It worked after a couple of goes.

Thread: Overheated Drill
31/08/2021 18:19:35

And you will find that all these drills are fitted with a 13amp fuse which means the the first thing to give up will be the armature. When I repaired them I used to put a fuse which suited the wattage of the drill.

This usually meant the fuse went the user then replaced it with a 13 amp fuse and then the drill ended up with a burnt out armature. That was 40 years ago but I doubt the are fitted with an overload device even now.

Thread: Moving vice on mill table....
06/08/2021 22:14:37

I have a Warco WM14 and the slots take the head of a 10mm bolt very nicely. I just slide the bolt in upside down and use the nuts and washer on the top of both vice and angle plate.

Seems to work very well. I do have a lot of home made tee nuts.

Thread: Inexpensive inverter mig welders
31/05/2021 12:05:31

Only find the need to weld something occasionally so I keep my box of rods in the airing cupboard and only take out what I need for any particular weld. I also found that using thin rods to weld body work it helped cutting the rods in half it stopped them vibrating when trying to strike an arc.

My Oxford welder bought in the 1970's I mounted on a trolley so it isn't a problem to move around. The SIP I can just about carry.

An automatic mask did make a real difference.

Thread: How Many Barristers Needed To Change An Ink Cartridge?
16/04/2021 22:22:09

Amazing.

This afternoon I tried printing something on my Canon MG6851 and I got the message problem with ink cartridge its not the correct item. The statement was correct I've always used replacement inks from from the same on line company not the originals and never had a problem.

Does this mean that a bug is going round re printers. Mine is connected with a cable not Wi-Fi.

I also read with interest the other post re laser printers. My original inkjet packed up years ago and I decided to go to using a laser. At the famous family store I asked for advice and was given the name of a Samsung printer that would do all I wanted.

Only when I came to print my usual self made Christmas cards on 270gm paper did I find out it couldn't cope with such heavy paper!!!!!. It sits in my basement now unused.

That's why I went back to the Inkjet which I used successfully for a number of years

I did manage to get it working.

Dave.

Edited By David Caunt on 16/04/2021 22:22:49

Thread: Boxford Model C leadscrew half-nuts
05/04/2021 19:49:06

AJAX

At 3:11 into your video where it is just possible to catch a glimpse of the operating cam it is quite clear that the peg has worn the top right hand end of that slot. I would imagine the same would be true of the other slot which would have allowed the bottom to not be closed up fully. The top is probably the same.

Whilst your remedy obviously has got over the problem it looks as though my thoughts were correct.

Did you examine them? Or is it all just my imagination?

03/04/2021 17:45:14

"Both sides appear to be engaging "fully" (in as much as their worn state allows) but the sawtooth effect of the wear allows them to rise and jump the next thread, if that makes any sense."

Surely if they can rise and jump the next thread then they are not being properly held in the connected position.

The fact that the engagement lever is up when they are engaged must mean unless there is a positive lock somehow the weight of the engagement lever will help them open.

Before doing anything more surely the operating cam etc must be checked thoroughly.

Thread: Old digital Issues of MEW
25/03/2021 13:30:45

Thanks for that.

When going to Magazines would it be helpful if the Note which talks about incorrect pages.

Included the earliest issue updated to HTML5.

Or would this be the straw that broke the camels back.

24/03/2021 23:24:50

Until today I believe I had no problem looking at issues since the start of MEW now it only lets me look back to 180 Sept. 2011.

Is this just my problem or is it common.

Edited By David Caunt on 24/03/2021 23:25:14

Thread: No302
19/03/2021 20:11:55

Hats off to Neil. How he manages to get through it all beats me.

Hope the move went without a hitch and his workshop is back up and running soon.

Dave

19/03/2021 15:15:15

Thank you Jason.

18/03/2021 22:37:25

Yes Frances.

It can be amusing and understandable. We all do it.

. "Stewart Hart explains that to get the best from these useful devices you need a little preparatory work is needed"

In the article on "How to Set Up a Spin Indexer" Stewart has re written the header (or perhaps it was the editor himself or even the printer).

We all know what it should say. My reason for the original post was to hopefully ensure that the omission of the correct sheet would be rectified later.

In Scribe a line. Neil said that Bernard Towers Lantern Chuck drawing would be published in MEW302. Should have been the next issue.

Obviously someone corrected my post title for me or did I miss how I could have corrected it?

18/03/2021 19:16:10

Have just received issue No302

Always happy to get it.

It appears that the Data Book on page 35 has 2 A5 lists which are identical.

Not that it detracts unless it should have included lower than a number 29 or higher than a 68.

It appears I've headed it No301 instead of No302. It doesn't let me edit that. Doh!

Edited By David Caunt on 18/03/2021 19:16:53

Edited By David Caunt on 18/03/2021 19:18:26

Thread: Myford id
13/03/2021 20:13:17

Like the overhead drive shaft.

Mind all that head of hair.

Just joking.

Dave

Thread: How do I get the bearings out of this?
10/03/2021 15:48:30

Dave,

I believe the theory was to make a blank plate with 4 holes at the pitch diameter of the holes on the small end of the casting and then use the manufactured studs ( to what ever thread they are). Then use these to apply pressure to the manufactured plate which will push on the end of the shaft. Then rest the large end on a good support and hit the new plate which has been pulled up tight to the end of the shaft. It isn't quite the same as hitting the flange with a large hammer.

It is either that or as has been said just clean it up and refit it.

Dave

Edited By David Caunt on 10/03/2021 15:49:00

10/03/2021 14:47:14

Are the holes on the small end really 12mm? If the bearing is 52mm they look less than that.

The idea is good though.

08/03/2021 20:42:42

circlip.jpg

If the arrow is pointing at a circlip then that would be the way forward.

Thread: ER Collet choices
04/03/2021 20:39:21

I don't think I've even used the Jacobs chuck. The ER does it all.

04/03/2021 19:05:26

Clay

Just a quick thought. I bought an ER25 set to use on my WM14. Then thought wouldn't it be useful to get an MT3 ER25 holder for my lathe.

Now realise that yes I can use all the collets but the length is limited so if you are thinking like me then buy an ER25 mounting for a faceplate for the lathe. Then you can take up to whatever your lathe mandrel will take.

Dave

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
JD Metals
walker midge
BOLDON
emcomachinetools
Warco
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest