By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ian McVickers

Here is a list of all the postings Ian McVickers has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Machine painting
07/04/2018 19:20:59

Hi all,

I'm busy rebuilding my Clarkson MK1 grinder and have most parts repainted and refitted to the machine but I am looking for some ideas or pointers for painting the Clarkson name on the base casting. I have painted the name area white and would like to do the raised letters in red and keep it neat and tidy without overpainting the white background. I can't see any other way of doing this without trying to cover the area with bits of masking tape. Any ideas?

Thread: Cup wheels
30/03/2018 19:47:14

Thanks guys. I managed to get a pdf copy of one of the Clarkson manuals with the charts as well. Just need to search around to find a supplier.

29/03/2018 20:00:26

I have picked up a Clarkson MK1 which arrived today. Although it's in very good condition I'm going to strip it down, clean it up and give it a new coat of paint. Not having done any cutter regrinding before I was wondering what the recommendations are for the type and grade of cup wheel for HSS and Carbide. I use rotabroach cutters quite a bit as well and would like to be able to sharpen them too.

Thread: Digital ME & MEW Issues
18/03/2018 16:44:16

Thanks guys. Got it now. I thought that the back editions were also available on the app.

18/03/2018 12:40:06

I have my subscription number and have the current copy of mew on my android phone and on the web version of pocketmags. I had to enter the subscription info on the web version to get the mag there then delete and reinstall the version on my windows tablet to get it to appear there. I cannot get access to the previous magazines. The "restore purchases" option is missing from the windows version and on the android version it won't let me view any of the previous magazines. It wants me to pay for them. I did email pocketmags about it and they replied but the option they told me to choose to restore purchases is not there so I have mailed them back again. Waiting on a reply now.

18/03/2018 11:48:22

Jason, I understand that the app needs me to be signed into the store to download the app. As I said I have installed the app but I didn't like it asking for my account details to run the app. But anyway this is now done. The problem now is that the app cant find the new Mags. If I search for any Mags from the app it can't find anything at all, even if the app is listed in the app recommendations list. I have mailed pocketmags to see if they have a solution so waiting on them now.

Thread: New member from central Scotland
18/03/2018 11:10:02

Thanks guys. I don't really have plans for making anything specific but it keeps me occupied. I really would have loved a Bridgeport but I would have needed to take it apart and rebuild it in my shop. The shop has a raised wooden floor, substantially reinforced though. I had to cut the floor out and put in concrete plinths for the lathe and the mill. The floor is 500mm above ground level. Getting the small mill in wasn't to difficult but the lathe was a nightmare to lift and slide in the door. I made a steel support and doubled up some of the good thick scaffold boards to run over it to the door way. Engine lift and steel tubes for rollers. Loads of grunt and effort and a few choice words and it eventually went into position.

17/03/2018 23:29:35

I did try ff but it kept locking the tablet up so I removed it. It does use edge and I can read the issues from it ok from the website. I have managed to get access to the magazines via the https://pocketmags.com/login , just got that working 5 minutes ago, but still can't see any magazines on the app. It doesn't find anything at all when I search. I thought maybe Norton was blocking it but not so. Pinged an email off to pocketmags support so will see what they reply with. I could install the android app on my note 8, in fact I wonder if I do that can I transfer the files to my tablet and read them from there or will the formats be different? Something to play with tomorrow because the Disaronno lube is doing odd things to the keyboard.

17/03/2018 22:22:51
Posted by Fowlers Fury on 17/03/2018 21:40:01:

There's another thread running now "Readings app for windows" have you checked it?.

If on a smart phone or tablet you're seeing that Google Android screen which wants your Google account sign-in details, at the bottom there's a tick-box which says "Skip". That will usually allow you to proceed regardless.
On a pc, If you have the latest Firefox Quantum, you can access the mags without doing any more than just entering your Pocket Mags ID. FF will also allow you to save pages.

I have read the other thread. I am using a windows 10 Samsung tablet. I can install the app without any issues but as soon as I try to use it it won't let me do anything without having my Microsoft account details. I have gotten round that now and can open the app but it won't find anything when I search for new magazines. In fact it can't seem to find any magazines at all. I will have a look at FF thanks.

17/03/2018 21:21:01

Subscription was taken out here. Don't know why it won't let me even open the program without having my account info. Just had info from Neil saying that they stopped using pocketmags for pc a while ago but I'm sure I read through the info pages earlier before subscribing and pocketmags for pc I for was there but now I can't find it. The page now says it doesn't support windows.

Thread: Readings app for windows
17/03/2018 21:05:56

Now that's odd. I read the digital info pages earlier and they gave info for reading on windows pointing to pocketmags but know that I read it again it says that it doesn't support windows? Is pocketmags the only reading app that it works with or has anyone got it working with anything else?

17/03/2018 20:42:27

I am new to mew, just signed up today and must admit that pocketmags must be the worst app I've seen. At the moment I'm trying to find a different way of reading and saving the issues. Pocketmags won't even let me open it unless I give it permanent access to my Microsoft account. I take it that it wants access to account details to charge me whenever it feels like it? There are plenty of reader apps out there so surely we can have a better one than this?

Thread: New member from central Scotland
17/03/2018 18:51:00

Hi all. I'm new to the forums. I used to be into woodturning but decided to change hobbies into machining. I've worked on cnc machines, oxy fuel, plasma and laser cutters for years now and decided to build my own cnc router. Step forward a few years an I'm now building my mk3 cnc router. I have a Colchester bantam and also a warco gh universal mill. I would have loved a Bridgeport but it wouldn't fit. I'm toying with idea of a tool grinder and am looking for a reasonably priced Clarkson mk1.

Regards

Ian

Thread: Readings app for windows
17/03/2018 18:13:34

Hi all. I have just subscribed to mew and am looking to see the best way to read and store the magazines for offline reading. Is Pocketmags the only way for windows 10 tablet? The app doesn't get good reviews and when I installed it I can't do anything with it unless I give it permanent access to my Microsoft account.

Regards

Ian

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest