By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Ian McVickers

Here is a list of all the postings Ian McVickers has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: er collets
02/06/2021 20:44:56

Just purchased some stuff from Shop-apt and currently they have er collets on sale at nice prices should anyone be interested. They are in the stock clearance section.

Thread: Elliot omnimill horizontal lead screw
07/04/2021 09:21:33

The table screw is keyed along its full length to allow the table drive mechanism to work so replacing it with a ball screw wont work unless you are going to either do away with the drive or modify the machine to have an external drive. Mine is worn as well and needs a new nut but havent got anywhere near to doing it yet.

Thread: Colchester Bantam Mk1
29/03/2021 19:02:05

James,

drop me a pm with your email and I`ll send you the parts and ops manual.

Thread: WHERE ARE THE SHAPER USERS ?
28/03/2021 15:11:43

So finished off the shaper and tested it out today on some ali and mild steel.

ali 0.5mm.jpg

0.5mm deep cut on ali.

ali 1mm wd40.jpg

1mm deep cut with wd40 beside the 0.5mm deep cut.

ms 0.5mm wd40.jpg

0.5mm deep cut on mild steel witrh wd40.

ms ali.jpg

Both parts side by side. Impressed by the cut quality.

Thread: Annoying phone calls
25/03/2021 18:58:10

I dont have a home phone any more. Still have to pay for a landline though via VM to get a decent price for a tv/broadband package but a phone hasn`t been plugged in for years. At least with a mobile the unwanted calls are easy to block.

25/03/2021 18:54:35

Still hijacking this thread a bit... Had a go at tig brazing the cast bracket and it turned out ok.

welded.jpg

After welding left it on the heater overnight to gradually cool. The material ended up being rather hard around the weld so had to grind it down.

welded 1.jpg

ground.jpg

A bit of machining to get the hole round again and its ready for painting.

21/03/2021 18:15:34

Shaper as delivered

shaper delivery 2.jpg

Shaper nearly finished.

shaper new2.jpg

shaper new 3.jpg

Still have the vice to look at and need to get the table off and cleaned and painted.

Electrics are all done and it runs nice and smoothly.

21/03/2021 18:07:26

Thanks Bernard.

I managed to get it removed today without any hassle. No idea what was wrong before. Im going to have to get the bracket brazed as now i`ve got it removed I can see the break and it needs a better fix.

broken bracket.jpg

20/03/2021 17:56:27

Alan,

thanks for the info. I managed to find the drawings on their site. They arent too clear but it looks like I`m missing some parts for the vertical drive. If anyone has the version with both table feeds could they possibly take a photo of the gearing and post it please.

Also it looks like the taper pins are supposed to be fitted.

Edited By Ian McVickers on 20/03/2021 17:57:39

19/03/2021 20:35:22

Alan,

I did contact Boxford and they said they dont have any information left for the shaper. I will have a look on their site and see if I can find them.

Thread: YouTube stuff....
19/03/2021 18:48:50

One of my youtube favourites is The metal Raymond.

19/03/2021 17:35:37

My Boxford shaper has arrived and has had the electrics removed so that I can replace them with some more modern stuff. I would have liked to remove the table but cant get the internal nut off. The previous owner has pinned it through the shaft.

Table screw nut.jpg

Had a go at punching it our but its solid. The nut has a grub screw so I dont know why the pin was fitted.

Can anyone tell me how to remove the table drive assembly shown below.

Table feed assembly.jpg

The bush on the front of it had also been pinned with a taper pin which came out easily enough but I cant get the assembly off the shaft, The outer bracket and spacer rotate on the shaft but the pinion does not which I think is correct. I presume the pinion is keyed but cant get it off. Since the cast bracket has already been repaired I didnt want to force it.

09/03/2021 18:10:04

Thanks very much Steve.

Ian

09/03/2021 11:35:34

I do have a manual, looks like someone has reprinted it, for it but it doesn`t show any information on weights or lifting points. I wouldn`t like to lift it with the ram.

Tried Boxford as well but they don`t have any information on their old machines and everyone who knew anything about them has retired.

09/03/2021 09:08:00

Hopefully I should be the owner of a Boxford MK2 8" shaper next week. I see, from the photos, that it has holes through the base which i presume are for lifting it. Can anyone tell me what diameter they are so that I can get some bars set up for it?

Ian

Thread: In anticipation of the New Year ...
30/12/2020 19:17:54

Thats briiliant. What will AI think in a thousand years when it looks back at this?

Thread: TIG is harder than it looks
30/12/2020 19:12:07

Dave a foot switch is on the shopping list but a few other items are in front of it.

30/12/2020 19:08:44

Jeff the tube was toasty hot by the time I finished it so probably right when you say too much heat. I did wander off the line a bit because I couldnt see it clearly. My adjustable shield doesnt really go low enough to clearly see the gap between the parts so it was difficult to follow. The TIG does have adjustable pulse frequency and pulse duty so I guess I can practice with them next time to see if I can improve.

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2020
30/12/2020 18:48:54

Nice clamps. 1m looking at making a few of them myself soon for some welding aids instead of G clamps. I have the frames drawn on cad so far. Are those the papacad drawings?

Thread: TIG is harder than it looks
30/12/2020 18:40:26

While I`m decent at MIG and MMA welding i`m definately struggling with TIG. I used to be good at gas welding a rather long time ago so I thought this would have been easier to pick up but its proving to be a bit harder.

This was 10mm thick mild steel welded to 5mm thick 50mm box section.

20201230_151956.jpg

20201230_152003.jpg

Needs more practice me thinks. I also had a go at aluminium but that was a complete disaster.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
walker midge
ChesterUK
cowells
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest