By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Zan

Here is a list of all the postings Zan has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Shopvac Recommendations (Hoover, Vacuum Cleaner, Dust/Chip Collection)
10/10/2020 00:13:21

Screwfix Titan! Very powerful Bag is needed as the air output will send any dust straight back out, but they can be reused several times It’s a fantastic unit except fir the hose which failed after a couple of years, so the failed Dyson upright from me daughter was grafted in place. Very highly recommended. Take care with it. Small tools rapidly disappear

10/10/2020 00:12:50

Screwfix Titan! Very powerful Bag is needed as the air output will send any dust straight back out, but they can be reused several times It’s a fantastic unit except fir the hose which failed after a couple of years, so the failed Dyson upright from me daughter was grafted in place. Very highly recommended. Take care with it. Small tools rapidly disappear

Thread: which older mill to complement a ML7?
21/09/2020 09:31:35

There was a set of articles in ME about converting an sx2+ to cnc.

send me a pm

Thread: WM16 or SX2
18/09/2020 18:32:44

My siegSx2 plus has been converted to cnc I got this machine because of the R8 a longtime ago before I got my Bridgeport, I had a very nice Rishton, but it was #2morse and to eject the tool it needed serious hammering. Even after I made an ejector from tube and M 12 thread with a 250 mm handle. Even with this it was difficult to remove, it went with a real bang. Don’t expect big cuts, but I have found the machine to provide a very good finish on both vertical and facing cuts . It’s real problem is the small size of the dovetails, it needs frequent gib adjustments, but this is easy to achieve. A nice machine
I have been considering getting a bigger cnc machine, but webco are morse taper, and don’t have ball screws unless you pay a lot lot extra , syril at R8 do not have a good write up on many many forums, a tormach with R8 an excellent machine, but is expensive to get here And it’s a smaller work envelope than the sieg, which I have decided to stick with The small cuts

changing the tool in this machine needs only a small tap on the spindle. 

Edited By Zan on 18/09/2020 18:34:50

Thread: Milling Machine Identification
14/09/2020 12:49:00

I think this is 3 phase By the look of the size of the cable and the type of plug as has been mentioned earlier.
The motor plate probably shows it is Wired in a Y formation, at 370/80 volts or current I doubt that there will be connections to set it to 240 volts running from an inverter that’s an odd voltage, and not a lot of current 1/2 hip.

treat this machine with caution and get full information before parting with cash

Thread: Facing parallel between centres.
14/09/2020 12:35:32

A while back in one of the magazines was a discussion about producing some form of solid square where both faced and had to be parallel. The method was to bolt down on the miller.....  Not the lathe. 
machine one end flat then invert and machine the other next check the dimensions for parallel and if there’s any error pack up the low side with a shim and re-machine. Repeat until u get the correct result.

this workpiece would need slots or holes in each end to clamp it down and the work would need to be stood on strips clamped to the table . There would need to be stops to locate the x and y positions and after checking for parallel before repositioning, this should be achieved without any significant rotation of the billet. The clamping holes in this case will not be any problem

Edited By Zan on 14/09/2020 12:38:32

Thread: Strength of Beams
11/09/2020 11:45:39

The “strength” of the beam we are talking about is bending I.e stiffness

If I remember back correctly to my engineering classes, any beam in bending, the strength is simply width * depth ^3. (Cubed) so double the with and double the stiffness,  but double the depth It goes up from 1to 8 As the beam is in both tension and compression then there is zero force at its centre(neutral axis) resulting that  most of the material in the beam should be placed as far from the neutral axis as possible, hence the economy of the I beam in both terms of material used and it’s weight .

The problem is in resisting flexing ((sideways deflection and twisting). The ruler being very thin for its depth will Easily flex sideways . Applying this to the boring bar is interesting as the resultant forces are neither vertical or horizontal so directly but as the cutting point extends outside its geometric form then there is an additional rotational component The bar is cantilevered at the tool post, but the bit is cantilevered at right angles to that.  Very complex! So round or square would be best  and as big as possible!

in his articles about boring bars, G Thomas talked about the bar with the bit clamped by a push rod along its axis and commented on how little difference the hole for the rod made to the stiffness of the bar

Edited By Zan on 11/09/2020 11:49:31

Edited By Zan on 11/09/2020 11:56:34

Thread: Supporting both ends of stock in lathe
27/08/2020 14:45:49

If you use the cut move cut system use the same chuck socket each time and avoid rotating the work

Thread: How to stop scam phone calls for good?
26/08/2020 22:39:10

Said all this Several times here before. Just have your answer phone on all the time. They just hang up as soon. As “hello we are not at home at the............ Most stop at “we are” All friends know and speak n we answer. Unknown genuine callers start to leave a message and we pick up. Simple.

Thread: Separating front and back pressure gauge
25/08/2020 11:11:04

Hold the outlet vertically in the vice. The mech is usually attached to the body “cup” then carefullyAnd gently punch the bezel off. Worked perfectly on all mine

Thread: Mystery item Myford ML 7 purchase
25/08/2020 11:02:09

Hopper, my thoughts as well. The knurled part enables the spindle to be moved while stilll indexed over a short distance, giving 2,3 and 6 divisions. However, holding anything on the castellated end doesn’t seem easy. It would have to be used on straight cutters

ah on taking another look, is the spindle hollow?  The castellated bit could then be removed.  It has 6 grooves in it and some seem to have  what looks like over cutting into the spindle  and some are damaged on the back.

Edited By Zan on 25/08/2020 11:06:59

Thread: David Noble
25/08/2020 10:34:43

Nope only one

Thread: Copper boiler plate flanging, or not?
18/08/2020 00:20:16

Bob, look at the drawing at the end of page 3 of this thread

Let us assume you use Your 6 mm plates for the firebox not the 2.5mm as specified and 8 mm for the blackhead in order to Maintain the 1.5mm setback beyond the wrapper

your comment about reducing the water space is your initial post is frankly daft It’s already very narrow , keeping the dimensions the same with a solid back head would leave 1.5 mm  Not really enough.......so the firebox back will have to be moved by 6 mm

so in total the firebox will loose 3.5 at each end for the thicker plates, and another 6 as shown above I.e total of 13mm or 1/2” In an already small firebox. Resulting in a reduction of 18% grate area. There will also be a reduction in the overall water capacity don’t forget the overall dimensions of the boiler is from the prototype so it’s fixed

getting most of the plates to fit with your small gap is not so difficult as the copper is extremely workable when properly annealed. Flagging boiler plates isa fascinating exercise on its own As is the process of producing a short bit of seamless tube from flat plate ( raise it and cut the end off even perhaps resulting in thicker wall t than the original sheet )

many many boilers have been produced with flanged plates. We havnt been doing it wrong for the last. hundred or so  years.... don’t  be the soldier who is in step, while the rest of us in the parade are out

Edited By Zan on 18/08/2020 00:22:19

Edited By Zan on 18/08/2020 00:23:58

Thread: Threads in Cast Iron
17/08/2020 09:26:49

Not so Martin. Most helpers when moving a loco use the buffers as handles. They need to be a solid fixing

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2020
11/08/2020 21:08:12

Good day,
yesterday, made 16 valve guides for my whittle x2 v8 engine

bad day. Today

Milled the slot perfectly in the centre to align with the 3/16 hole yesterday, but on making the t piece with a 3/16 shaft and the top to fit in the said slot, to stop it turning it didn’t fit.
grrr just discovered my 1/8” side n face cutter is actually 114 thou. (Cheap purchase from exhibition )
all the cam followers are now even more complicated ( very small) as the t will have to be machined offset by 5 thou one side +5 thou tother 5 less From centreline, or do I waste another 15” of 1/2” hex bronze n do them again.....hmmmm well hidden inside......

Edited By Zan on 11/08/2020 21:11:15

Thread: Quality small metric spanners
27/07/2020 23:56:00

These are nice, ring is not same size as open end

78090 Expo Professional 8pc Super Thin CombinationSpanner Set

Thread: is it a flycutter ?
16/07/2020 21:52:58

My dad had one for cutting holes in aluminium home built amateur radio stuff in the 60’s. It’s used in a carpenters brace. A drill is mounted in the central hole which acted as a ilot. The cutter was bent at an angle so it was vertical at the end and sharpend ..wjhen pushed down the angled slot the diameter of the hole can be adjusted And clamped with the screw. I’d completely forgotten about it before this post!

Thread: Lockdown Reading - Nevil Shute Rediscovered
05/07/2020 15:55:41

The main character was modelled on wesbury. I believe Shute was a model engineer. It’s a great read! Clever and simple plot of an expert excelling and charming whoever he met. ( no spoilers!)

Thread: Bridgeport Series 1 J2J head 2hp motor shaft
13/06/2020 23:53:25

Clive, Iv sent you a pm , as I’m also interested in the info.

Thread: Electronic Lead Screw Project
19/04/2020 22:00:06

Lol been in the workshop too long! Ignore my idiot posts! Who needs tumblers with a step or drive?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
walker midge
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
JD Metals
Warco
emcomachinetools
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest