By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Zan

Here is a list of all the postings Zan has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Myford Super 7 Toolpost issue
07/05/2021 14:10:30

I use 8 mm tooling and have reduced 1” to nothing in two cut,s, but it’s pushing the machine too much, and was just about seeing what it could do. Now I would use use three The 7 series are small lathes and don’t warrant anything bigger. I use exactly the same tooling in my Colchester student without much problem with decent sized cuts

Thread: I dropped it
06/05/2021 19:16:08

Well at last I realised how to stop me bridgeport quill from tightening when drilling and making things stiff and loosing sensitivity. The spring clip which used to be used got in the way n I had a brainwave. Fit a spring washer! Remove lock and find it’s a pair of shaped collets. Oh a very light spring will do the job between the collets.

find long soft spring. Stand in front of machine and cut flat end off and chop a short length. Put it in position.. it works. Brilliant

where’s the spring? Must be on the floor, I’m sure I saw it fall. Grrr not again....

out comes the torch from me pocket where it lives to direct the spring hunt

on me knees yet again. ( perhaps the third time today) hunting fir the spring to put away.
new brainwave. And the request. I need a Heath Robinson type of inventor to design and patent a raising floor I press a button, or wind a crank to raise the floor up to waist level so that I can pick up the frequently dropped item without having to get on me hand and knees with all the problems of getting up again.

any offers?

ps I didn’t find the spring

found an hour later sat in my overall pocket where it was caught by the gremlins.

Thread: Which type/brand of razor blades stay sharp longest? (cutting card/greyboard)
28/04/2021 00:10:14

Eze lap diamond hones. Availiable from many places on line  I used the red 600 grit, had it a long topime didn’t know if it was still available but just found out it is and about the superfine at 1200 grit  .....must get one!

Any cutting tool including kitchen knives which reflect light and the edges shine are blunt it’s the easiest and most common test Nothing as sophisticated as a samurai sword All edges are rather same, including milling cutters and lathe tools. Esp hs

Edited By Zan on 28/04/2021 00:22:02

Edited By Zan on 28/04/2021 00:25:34

Thread: Milling Feed Speeds.
27/04/2021 19:06:00

Sod, interesting. Your depth of cut seems a bit shy, but the rpm=. 10000/ cutter dia gives 1666 rpm, the presto data for slot drills gives 1592 rpm - very close. - with a feed of 0.023 mm per rev but only 73 mm/min . So your figures give a very good speed basis
for a 10 mm cutter, yours, = 1000 rpm, presto 955 Feed 92mm/min So your easy calculation is sound, but gives a speed just a bit too high

the recommended depth of cut is 1/2 diameter (slot drill diameter for end mill) but that of course depends on your machine. No probs in my Bridgeport, but too much for my Sieg sx2+ cnc conversion

my numbers refer to an HSS cutter, for carbide, the numbers would be  3988 rpm   With 0.038 cut per tooth  = 285  mm/min.   So it seems the op quoted numbers are a quite a bit on the high side! As I also have seen from the vendor

Edited By Zan on 27/04/2021 19:26:29

Edited By Zan on 27/04/2021 19:30:32

Thread: Tormach style tool holders
27/04/2021 15:31:05

8e04841c-83dc-4002-86ab-7bcde086b530.jpeg

Grrrrr.  my photos are always upside down. After uploading No good. Deleted it from album, I rotated this upside down in my library and re uploaded it .... still upside down! How do I solve this?

Back to the subject.

The setting jig is a cheap calliper cut down and bolted onto a secured packing block to bring it to centre height. The tool is fitted (after zero in the caliper against the block) into an accurately machine 3/4 inch diameter hole in the cast-iron block. The offset is those directly shown on the calliper. In Mach 3 the setting tool is listed as being 115 long and is designated as Tool number one in the listing. To use insert the setting tool and jog down until the dial reads zero then simply the z axis. The tool shown in the photo is simply put into the appropriate position in the Mach 3 tool table and set up as being a length of 55.21mm as seen in the photo this enables it to be permanently set to a length and does not need checking again it is a very simple and robust system and is based on the Tormach method

The   top photo shows my full tool drawer I did make it for 1/2} and 12 mm tools, but experience has shown these are very rarely used, and I intend to experiment with converting these to 6 mm and smaller, which is the range most often used, and at the moment my spare holder is getting too much use!

In  the tool table, a 6 mm carbide cutter is found as tool no. 60  listed as  “6 slot cab 6A “  The 6 a refers to the tool position in the drawer   Drills start at tool 100 so a 2 ba tapping drill [4.1 mm) is tool no 141    While  a 10 mm is listed from tool 10 , 8 mm from tool 80 etc  the 70’ s are used for special use   A printout in a grid enables values to be recorded in pencil to allow changes and be used in the office

this system makes it easy to switch between the desktop in the office where Fusion 360 sits and the off line  workshop 

92d8bb92-f5ab-437d-8196-3c276dcc7f4b.jpeg  

Edited By Zan on 27/04/2021 15:42:58

27/04/2021 14:50:49

For my cnc mill I use a 3/4” silver steel slug very carefully centred in a collet, then drilled and reamed fir the cutter

the cutter is locked in place, then put into the R8 collet in the mill and tested to find the best position for minimal eccentricity tested on the Miller shank. Usually, there is less than 0.5 thou error. The holder at the very front is marked and removed from the machine for fitting a 7/32” silver steel pin pressed into a part reamed holedrilled at the front position . This controls the tool extension for adding into Mach 3 and thus the cutter orientation is always in the same position.

0771fc09-5631-489a-b841-0813b391ca05.jpeg
 The pin locates onto a collar machined in situ on the spindle, used as the R8 collet does not have a flat face  the drilling seen indicate where to locate the pin  on the spindle collar 

the height is set using the dti device which is set to exactly 115 mm  using a setting jig   I’ll add a photo later of this in action  

my sx2+ Miller runs at 3400 max speed  due to changing things in the conversion, al detailed in a long series in ME about 4 years back  I haven’t noticed any vibration problems 

369b6496-7ffe-4a43-a93c-2917dab55034.jpeg

Edited By Zan on 27/04/2021 14:58:07

Thread: Boiler barrel
27/04/2021 14:18:50

Paul So u would need a barrel at the diameter of the smoke of size meaning a reduction of size and water capacity at the firebox cleading  would still need to be tapered for correct appearance and possible problems with top feeds ad s valves

I understood the taper was about improving water circulation and reducing the diameter of the smoke box to allow even a short chimney to be within the loading gauge. Plus various other thermal issues

edit...l blasted autocorrect!

Edited By Zan on 27/04/2021 14:20:31

Thread: Which type/brand of razor blades stay sharp longest? (cutting card/greyboard)
27/04/2021 14:09:21

Use a diamond hone to resharpen

They last for ever. I did this at school teaching A level graphic design. Saved me hundreds of blades a year. Even better  is at home where an Arkansas whet stone or leather workers type of lap ( leather strip charged with 4000 grit) to polish. Had one blade in for years

Ps do you use a self healing cutting mat?

edit...typo

Edited By Zan on 27/04/2021 14:10:05

Edited By Zan on 27/04/2021 14:10:53

Thread: Does anyone know what this is for?
26/04/2021 09:05:28

Bending tin plate into a corrugated form for pastry cutters?

Thread: Machining Wheel Castings
25/04/2021 10:07:03

Ugh. That’s one bad casting

Thread: Optimising the Life of Cut-Off Wheels
25/04/2021 10:02:35

Interesting link. So key points are

pull rather than push

hold close to the grinder as possible to the disc and

regarding low speed. I found this

“Since wear is cumulative over time, at lower speeds contact time during each revolution of the cut-off wheel is longer and thus wear is higher, resulting in shorter life.”
And a more powerful grinder reduces wear probably due to reduced speed during cutting when using the weaker machine

Thread: Rex Tingley Valveless design
22/04/2021 20:34:21

He did a series in model engineer a long while back. It was for his stationary, then the loco

Thread: Boring aluminium - What am I getting wrong
22/04/2021 19:44:58

The tool is in the incorrect orientation, it should be in line with the slide on the boring head and having a little axial twist to give some rake The tool should move radially in relation to the hole when increasing the cut. By the way, how much are you trying to cut, and did you ore drill the hole?

just think about it as a boring tool in the lathe the tool as shown is angled about 45degrees to the lathe cross slide and is elevated way above centre Thus it is rubbing all the time

Thread: Further Adventures with the Sieg KX3 & KX1
18/04/2021 19:38:09

Ah so you don’t actually “drill” in the cam bit but use a virtual large milling tool in the triangular pocket which is too big to get into the corners ( which is used to fool the cam). I think the rest machining is designed to take out missing parts which the bigger.  Cutters can’t get into not used that yet, so many complex things in 360.  Not seen or used the “from previous “ more investigation,
thanks for that explanation. I’ll look at it on the desktop later
Thanks

ps keep your exploits coming!

Edited By Zan on 18/04/2021 19:43:33

18/04/2021 10:24:56

Hi Jason, I’m trying to do a small flywheel in 360 3” dia. I see in your video that the cutter goes round edges of the drilled holes and does not air cut . The cam cannot see these holes and thinks it’s a solid material so will try to cur them, not a problem nut all adds to the machining time. This would be easy in the ventricles 2d (which I now no longer use. Having to manually create contours) by just adding another circle on the face of the stock
as it’s impossible to add a hole in the blank in the design model where there’s no material, so there’s no hole edge to pick up how did you convince the cam to go round your holes???

Next Now that steep and shallow has gone from the free 360 version, what’s the best 3D cutting type. This is the first 3D Iv attempted, and all the path options in 360 seem to be very similar I have seen you using scallop, and contour I think so which is the best, I did see the discussion with regard to matching the tee piece

ps I did actually add a tube feature with a very thin wall , this seemed to work, but it’s very crude and I was wondering how you produced this bit of magic! The trouble with 360 is the bewildering no of options which can be confusing when it’s only used about once a week. It always seems to take so long to create the 3D design and cam strategy

thanks. Graham

Edited By Zan on 18/04/2021 10:26:56

Thread: Steam whistle
11/04/2021 19:28:23

How big is it?

Thread: Accessing Digital archive
10/04/2021 10:24:36

Ah thanks. Two days ago, but Iv had to change log in details and account details so it matches... I may have got things seriously mixed up I think. So I will wait a couple more days then get back to you.
thanks Jason You are doing a great job,

09/04/2021 22:50:11

I am also having problems .. I can’t get the archive and the instructions given do not follow what I see in the pocketmags and model engineer app for my iPad I have entered my subscription number in settings here but still no joy.
what am I doing wrong?

the email confirming my subscription payment (done direct from this website) says another will follow.  That has not yet happened 

Edited By Zan on 09/04/2021 22:55:39

Thread: Home Made Rear Toolpost Issue
06/04/2021 13:04:54

Slips are extremely useful and mine see a lot of use. Yesterday I was making a yoke for crankshaft to work in. The slips made it very very easy to get file the gauge plate material easily to a very smooth and polished finish. Yes the slot ended up 4 thou too small but I’ll make the split bearing to fit

mine are second hand, from two sets at a total cost of £35.. I can’t work to the limits which a new on spec set would “ measure” to. They just about stack, but I’m very pleased with the number of times I use them

heres the yoke clamped to align the cylinder bridge on the pump, but before finishing the 0.309” yoke  sorry it’s upside dow,  I switched it over before uploading, but still wrong!831388c4-e7f0-4417-8b7d-59e8a68bcbcf.jpeg

Edited By Zan on 06/04/2021 13:23:00

Thread: Warco 712 Bandsaw
03/04/2021 13:48:02

My band saw came years ago from Graham engineering (I think. Or was it excel?) Reduced price at the end of Harrogate The blade carrier arms are of pressed steel rather than the usual casting. Had a few problems, the angled saw carrier wasn’t square and had to be bushed and rebored , it took a lot of attempts to get it to cut straight, but now with the addition of a piece of angle bolted in line with the fixed jaw I can cut very small stuff and even recently did a vertical cut in aluminium 8” long, it went straight down the line leaving it perfectly square n parallel. They just take time to set up. I am thinking of adding a dash pot but. It works ok , used virtually every day now it’s in the extended workshop and not in the garage and there’s always more interesting stuff to do.....
the Warco is very expensive my Bridgeport cost less......

Edited By Zan on 03/04/2021 13:50:42

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Dreweatts
JD Metals
Warco
walker midge
cowells
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest