By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Zan

Here is a list of all the postings Zan has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Allchin valve chest
16/05/2022 14:36:46

My drawings are hidden away in the loft where they have sat since 1995 when it was put on hold! I looked in the book

15/05/2022 13:12:15

I believe the original had cylinder and chest cast as a single unit. So these are 5x6ba gunmetal r head fixings to hold the chest down.

there is a clear section in the centre of sheet 6

the view  of the chest bottom left on the sheet shows they clear the spindle. 6 holes”a” to fix to cylinder etc

edit. Typo

Edited By Zan on 15/05/2022 13:13:51

Thread: Drilling holes in thin material
24/04/2022 10:57:02

Yes it’s old hat that video, but not if you havnt had the tip. It works!

but why

does it take such a long video?

the wood block is clamped down, why not clamp the work at the same time? He says don’t hold the piece, then goes and does it!

Thread: Shed insulation
13/03/2022 19:46:36

The vapour barrier must be inside the insulation, or moisture from the inside will migrate out and condense on the outer skin wetting the insulation and rendering it useless. An air gap is needed between the insulation and outer skin to dry it out. In building my workshop I followed timber building pracrise

from the outside

plastic cladding on 25 mm laths with vents top and bottom

breathable building paper

10 mm obs on 4*2 studding

kingspan insulation

vapour Barrier

12mm vertical flooring chipboard for inner wall

bone dry, warm and never any rust

Thread: McOnie’s oscillating engine
08/02/2022 23:38:11

In 2008 Anthony Mount started his build of this engine. The casting kit was from Cotswold Heritage ltd, who now seem to have vanished. Last accounts filed were for 2015.

Does anybody know if the castings are being provided by any other company. While some parts can be fabricated, the mainframes look decidedly difficult.

Thread: Colchester lathe production
03/02/2022 09:58:54

Interesting to note the screwcutting demonstration was with an angled top slide

02/02/2022 13:45:37

Fantastic! Thanks! Wish my student of the same vintage looked and worked as well, but I’m satisfied with it

interesting how much of the work esp in inspection would now be automatically and very rapid cnc controlled

I learnt to drive in a Thames 15cwt 3 speed column change van!
wel worth the 25 mins to watch,

Thread: Sharpening Lathe Tools
20/01/2022 20:35:16

You answered your own question. Regrind (grind away, reform, remake) when it gets too small! Or needs too much effort to get it up to centreheight and still be able to see it cutting

Touch up grinding is done exactly the same way ( face or side) as the initial grind…….

Edited By Zan on 20/01/2022 20:36:14

Thread: Parts storage
20/01/2022 20:28:13

I keep a log of all the assemblies Iv made, how many parts down to individual pieces in a fabrication ( not difficult but must be started at same time as starting the build) , and dates interesting to see the progress

have I made it? Yes cos there’s a pencil tick on the drawing …….

my workshop is attached to the house with background heating radiators. Never had any storage degradation problems, but parts in boxes like above, bagged in small tin boxes, wrapped in a drawer, sat on shelves fir the biggies, boiler in its custom housing, chassis assembly sat on a solid trolley on the building stand. Espasy to move round and rotate.
it all depends on your shop, time and the size of the parts

Edited By Zan on 20/01/2022 20:29:56

Thread: The future of casting kits
18/01/2022 18:52:38

My 3” Atkinson uniflow engine was entirely from bar stock a very cheap option, the whole engine cost less than two bronze valve housing castings for the standard design. For the diff the grease cover was a £36. Ish casting. I used a plate of 100 mm x100 mm offcut of 8 mm plate Bar stock is often easier to hold

Thread: Clamping set (metric or imperial)
18/01/2022 10:51:16

My Bridgeport main set i have about 12 mm stud into custom nuts, some also tapped 8 mm and some 6 mm. As well[ double tappings) use depends on size of work and thus access with small cutters it doesn’t really matter

Thread: To start the discussion …
14/01/2022 12:54:49

I’d like to look at this, but don’t like the cookies. Too many

Thread: Stewart S50 Name
13/01/2022 18:52:50

Just a guess but 50 parts/components?

Thread: Myford vfd
24/12/2021 12:47:50

I converted mine in 1990 and have never looked back, except I used a 3/4 horse, to match the original but and at times it lacks grunt so 1x1.25 hp would be better. I increased the motor pulley size in order to increase motor speed and cooling at low speed. I still use the headstock belt change from max to min when big stuff or ci is being turned . If you can try to get a resilient 3 phase motor, they run a lot quieter.

i like the look of the micro switch limit. I’ll have to investigate that, but it will need very disciplined use as the motor will start again as soon as the saddle is moved it probably needs some form of electronic latch building in so a reset button has to be pressed before a restart is possible .  Not difficult!

Edited By Zan on 24/12/2021 12:54:15

Thread: Fitting Multifix QCTP
24/12/2021 12:35:31

Here is my set up with the apAa pew multifix. It’s an 8 mm tool bit sat on a 1.5 mm packing no particular reason for this, Plenty of adjustment above and below as can be seen. I generally use 8 & 10 mm. toolbits. I have found the toolpost system both incredibly rigid and accurate in repositioning tools. The base is a replacement for the topslide, and is perhaps a bit big, for the much smaller multifix set up,  it was made for the previous toolpost. I rarely use the topslide now with a DRO, it gets in the way and introduces another possible lack of rigidity..

The project is making cooling fins on a v8 Whittle engine

ps does anybody know if the Chronos holder will fit this post correctly? Don’t want to pay the import duty again and handling fee!

dfe302e1-b90epewe multifix.jpeg

Edited By Zan on 24/12/2021 12:36:25

Thread: Q-cut instructions
28/11/2021 13:14:23

ESy! Just push it in with fingers then push all holder onto a piece of wood pressing the insert in hard. No mystery..

Thread: show us your workshop.
24/11/2021 10:47:46

Keep that location very very secret

a good friend of mine attended a vast number of rallies with his 4” t engine, which proudly displayed his name and the small village where he lived. All went well for years, until his workshop was cleared out while he was at a 4 day rally. They came with a lorry , neighbours thought he was selling up……

A difficult problem is a rally guide which states where you are from. Easy search in the phone book for an address

Thread: Milling machine clamps
19/11/2021 17:07:56

In the set I revered to earlier, I still had to make the t nurs the correct size were 12mm and too big. Even for the Bridgeport with the size of work I do. If I was building a big 7 1/4 or 6” traction engine it would be a different matter

john Yes I’d glue in thoes pins, but in use does the clamping forces tend to push the vertical block back, and there’s not a lot of height adjustment compared to a stepped block this would  I think be worse when there’s a height difference between the packing height and work.  However an interesting solution.   Originally I used a system similar to tugs, but the stepped blocks are a lot better

Edited By Zan on 19/11/2021 17:11:15

19/11/2021 10:41:30

I use 10 mm on my Bridgeport. Solid as a rock. Too big for yours, also use the 1/4 BSF set I made for my Dore westbury still used. (Would be 6 mm now) Esp for clamping onto angle plates some of my 10 mm t nots are tapped 8 mm as well for studding where a solid clamping is needed and then cut to an exact height for clearance I also have a s app number of 2BA fixings for small rotary table and faceplate work.
you need a range, and they grow over the years! It’s the stepped packing blocks which are really needed the rest is easy to manufacture

Thread: Righthand Tool known as a Left?
17/11/2021 13:56:49

Jason I agree. It’s a left hand tool because it cuts a shoulder on the left of the workpiece ie working towards the tailstock

I would never touch one of these formed tools. Why? It will go blunt and need regrinding so what happens to the rake angles and chip breaker groove. Expensive for what they are. As stated, buy a grinder n decent quality HSS banks. It’s even possible to use an angle grinder to form a very crude cutter , I tried it as an experiment.  It looks grim, angles all to pot but cut ok! ( now reground  with my tc grinder)

Edited By Zan on 17/11/2021 14:02:05

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest