By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Zan

Here is a list of all the postings Zan has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Quality small metric spanners
27/07/2020 23:56:00

These are nice, ring is not same size as open end

78090 Expo Professional 8pc Super Thin CombinationSpanner Set

Thread: is it a flycutter ?
16/07/2020 21:52:58

My dad had one for cutting holes in aluminium home built amateur radio stuff in the 60’s. It’s used in a carpenters brace. A drill is mounted in the central hole which acted as a ilot. The cutter was bent at an angle so it was vertical at the end and sharpend ..wjhen pushed down the angled slot the diameter of the hole can be adjusted And clamped with the screw. I’d completely forgotten about it before this post!

Thread: Lockdown Reading - Nevil Shute Rediscovered
05/07/2020 15:55:41

The main character was modelled on wesbury. I believe Shute was a model engineer. It’s a great read! Clever and simple plot of an expert excelling and charming whoever he met. ( no spoilers!)

Thread: Bridgeport Series 1 J2J head 2hp motor shaft
13/06/2020 23:53:25

Clive, Iv sent you a pm , as I’m also interested in the info.

Thread: Electronic Lead Screw Project
19/04/2020 22:00:06

Lol been in the workshop too long! Ignore my idiot posts! Who needs tumblers with a step or drive?

19/04/2020 21:15:11

Cracking. That’s a great idea. How will you shield it from all the oil dripping off the tumbler? The bottom inside of mine always has a thick layer of oil on it not excessive oiling, just doing the standard when I remember.....

Thread: ER25 closing nuts
02/03/2020 18:06:43

Try this

silver steel stub in chuck. Clock run out. Loosen rotate the collet in the holder 45 degrees. Remeasure runout

repeat at the next 6 settings. Chances are you will find the runout is in the collet. They vary tremendously in quality and runout is only good with ones which are sold with an actually detailed number some I have been looking at are quoted at 0.0006” from amazon but not yet convinced this is the best without going to a silly price. I need to look further.

HSEAMALL 19PCS ER32 Precision Spring Collet Set,2mm-20mm ER32 Collet Chuck for CNC Workholding Engraving & Milling Lathe Tool

Thread: This looks an interesting small milling machine
16/02/2020 23:54:16

That looks a real good buy. I sold mine in about 1998 for 450 and itdidnt have all the mods that this one has. It’s a sound machine, but I switched mine for a rishton and swapped that for a Bridgeport n a small cnc miller table is small but adequate . The kits were sold part npmachimed, with all the big work done, leaving the builder to do all the small stuff. Totally superseded these days by the likes of sieg burpt in its day it was fantastidpc.. a good specimen. Go for it.

21/01/2020 15:01:22

For the labels google water slide decals. You print the artwork onto a special paper. This is then varnished with two coat car top spray varnish from Halfords. Soak in water and the decal will slide off and you gently manoeuvre it into position and gently firm down. Finally spray varnish to seal the lot. It’s very straightforward but practise on scrap first. I tried to see what happened without the spray on the decal, when soaked, it disintegrated to mush. The paper is very cheap compared to what you use!

it gives truly excellent results

dacosta, , I suggested earlier that turning top hat type buttons  which can go through drilled holes will work so they won’t pop out.  Phil indicated the spring on the led board buttons will be sufficient to return it, but obviously you will need to check the sizes with care.  Use plastic if possible, you don’t want any conduction from damp fingers. 

Edited By Zan on 21/01/2020 15:02:28

Edited By Zan on 21/01/2020 15:06:57

Thread: Australian Bush Fires
06/01/2020 19:42:52

My sis lives in Auckland is so bad that it’s affecting her there in New Zealand , 2000 or so miles away. The sky is orange and stinks of smoke..

Thread: Timesaver lapping compound quandary
06/01/2020 18:57:38

Bryan and Paul K . What grade did you use?

i will contact the sellers, but if people have actually used it on our situation the advice here is much better from the end user thanks for the link great help!  It’s packed with loads of info and it will take some digesting!

Paul L. , I have also used valve grinding compound on the cam operated stainless on bronze inlet valve seats ( there’s no exhaust in a uniflow) . I wasn’t happy with the possibility of embedding the abrasive which does not degrade in the same way as timesaver. In this position it’s actually directly in the cylinder., in any case I have no idea what the actual garage the “fine” and “coarse” is!

Edited By Zan on 06/01/2020 18:59:50

06/01/2020 00:13:55

So has nobody used this stuff? Common fellers, give me some advice.....

30/12/2019 18:54:44
Posted by Zan on 30/12/2019 17:21:45:

but I suspect a drippy joint on the interface board

? Drippy? I typed dry But it won’t let me edit!

30/12/2019 17:21:45

Doubtful . It may work if you have the same 4 connections, but the ti software from clough42 is specific to the led n key board . My led n key board came in two days so why risk it?

have you got the stepper turning? Still working on mine, but I suspect a drippy joint on the interface board. I’m going to check the ti board with a led conjecture to the gpio

29/12/2019 09:37:35

That’s exactly what I used to wire it up.

29/12/2019 09:34:55

I think he mentioned removing the //. And adding it to another line So that depends on your own setup. I didn’t have time to fiddle yesterday so that’s the task for today! anything is worth a try. Thanks Phil.

29/12/2019 09:21:18

Thanks Phi I think there’s a mention about this in the software loading video, l I’ll check that later but I used all the same connections as I did from the arduino which worked a while back , I think I’m common 5 v so by rechecking with the arduino I’ll be able to measure the voltages

by the way, the display connector pins projection under the board fouls and shorts onto one of the small jumpers on the ti board if it’s pushed fully home So don’t push it in. I’ll add some insulation here. This stopped the display working , interestingly, clough42’s board is inverted compared to ours with the power socket where our display connector is.

28/12/2019 23:41:11

Got mine assembled n tested yesterday, did the ti board today.

Removing the switch covers was a nightmare!

All works with encoder in the drill giving correct rpm , but as yet I can’t get the stepper turning. No scope to see what’s happening at the outputs. I’ll have to check n recheck as well as checking stepper system with the arduino

so when it’s turning slowly I can then try voltages on the output pins with an analog meter , my digital is too slow and prob remove the micro steps in the ti settings fir a slower step n longer pulse. Then I’d be stumped

23/12/2019 18:07:33

Mine arrived a week ago, dispatched on dec3. That was quicker than expected!

Thread: Is COMPAC' DIAL GAUGE METRIC TYPE 532 60mm Dia worth 45?
22/12/2019 10:48:31

That’s it! Get a lever type since getting mine I use the plunger one only once a decade!. They are far more versatile, aided by their compact size and ability to move the lever to convenient positions. You can’t use a plunger type to work in a bore without inconvenient add on parts thus, turning it into a lever type!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest