By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Trevor Crossman 1

Here is a list of all the postings Trevor Crossman 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Aluminium black
10/02/2019 17:35:35

Ian, many of these chemicals will give varying results dependant upon the composition of the aluminium alloy , however, whatever the alloy, it is important that at all stages of cleaning and preparation the item is not handled with bare hands no matter how clean they might appear to be, fresh rubber/pvc/nitrile gloves are essential. Perhaps on some dots the liquid formed a bubble across the top of the depression leaving the base clear?

Thread: Every Tea Room needs a toaster topic...
10/02/2019 10:09:15

Many years ago a former wife owned a toaster almost the same as Robin's which was shown in the original post, it worked perfectly and without fail turned the toast when the lid was lowered. It was slightly different in one detail however and that was that the ridge upon which the slice of bread rested when in the closed position, was curved i.e. convex, so that as the lid was lowered the slice easily slid off of the curved base toasted side downwards. When the said wife departed, the toaster departed too- - -and despite looking for many years, I never saw another ( toaster that is smile d  until last year our mutual friend Google found this ………….img_20190210_094140742.jpg toaster.jpg

which is not bad at all, but not automatic, though with a bit of additional metalwork could be made so! It is Moulinex, seemingly only available from Spain where they are sensible enough to not worry that stupid people might be able to electrocute themselves by being able to touch the elements, or burn their house down because the only control requires enough brain function to be able to operate the OFF switch.

I suppose that really it's a just a posh version of Duncan's electric fire and coat hanger, but you can do perfect toast on it...…………………………………...or burnt embarrassed

Trevor

Thread: WHERE ARE THE SHAPER USERS ?
05/02/2019 16:49:02
Posted by RICHARD GREEN 2 on 05/02/2019 15:19:34:

I picked up this Invicta 6 MR , 24 inch stroke shaper last year

I guess that when it comes to shapers, size does matter !

That Invicta 6 will shift a lot more metal than my little 'ole' Boxford

img_20190205_162350920[1218] boxford.jpg

Thread: US/UK Lexicon
24/01/2019 11:17:29
Posted by Bazyle on 23/01/2019 22:57:20:

The pictorial instructions cut across language barriers which is essential nowadays. I have a problem getting enough appropriate pictures in our instructions, though we do have a lot of words as well. Which again is a problem with engineers in general and especially when they don't speak 'BBC English'.

I have never been able to understand why people needed the written part of the Mecanno instructions. when there were plenty of pictures.

We used to have to provide detail maintenance instructions for the RAF. If you have a box in front of you with the cover held on by ten screws why on earth do you need to be told to undo the screws to take off the cover. What you really always need is the type, thread and length of the screws for when you lose some. Next time you get in a plane just think of it, the maintenance was done by a bloke who is so thick he needs to be told to take the screws out to get the cover off.

Bazyle, if you took a moment to think about it instead of pouring scorn on people you would see that the reason for listing the obvious is not because the person doing the work is thick , but because it is necessary to have the work split into quite precise and unequivocal language describing the maintainance process. Within large organisations where more than one person might work on a task and part way through the procedure may be replaced by others, the work that has been done by each individual has to be certified, so that in the event of any failure or damage of the component or of the system of which it is a part, which may be a very heavy and fast aircraft, missile, bomb or critical communication; it it easier determine the cause and possibly responsibility for that failure.

Apart from the legal aspects, there are very many aviation components where the internal components are assembled by the manufacturer in such a way that it is imperative that it must be dismantled in a precise order to prevent damage to the internals or possible injury to the operator. This is particularly so with military and other public and civil organisations equipment because it is taxpayers money that is involved and are everyone in those organisations are, quite rightly, held legally responsible for the use of it.

Trevor

It may well be obvious that

Thread: Drill chuck releasing drill bits.
23/01/2019 12:08:20

Yes, exactly the same problem with my 2 year old Dewalt 18v . It was okay when new, but now after a lot of serious concrete drilling and large drill work, the snap action of the brake upon trigger release always causes the chuck to loosen. If the speed is slowly reduced the braking is less or not at all and the chuck is okay, I doubt that the chucks on these lower end machines are of good quality anyway, and since it has resisted all attempts at removal to fit a new one I'll live with it until I need a new one.

Trevor

Thread: Gatwick Drone 'Attack'
24/12/2018 17:03:09
Posted by Danny M2Z on 24/12/2018 16:39:16:

A pre-programmed flight such as this one does not rely on the r/c transmitter, just a link to GPS satellites **LINK**

The chase drone just had the Litchi co-ords offset by ten feet. An impressive flight but probably quite illegal where I live.

In fact one could theoretically fly the Gatwick mission from Australia given a Google map of the area and somebody to place the drone for take-off.

Scary but true,

* Danny M *

On that note, I remember that several, maybe 10, years ago a radio control modeler in New Zealand built a large model cruise missile using components generally available in the retail market and it worked perfectly well,( apart from no explosions of course!)and so it wasn't surprising that his website was taken down as soon as this became known to his national authorities!

Trevor

Thread: Modern efficiency !!!!!!!!!
19/12/2018 23:23:54

Modern cars,vans and motorbikes are indeed many ways a fantastic improvement over the leaky,rattly rubbish that I had in my youth, but I'm not sure about the ''greenness'' of modern motors due to parts being shipped to and fro across the globe before final assembly. By co-incidence a Guardian article today shows how a (BMW) Mini crankshaft starts as a casting in France, arrives and is worked on at a plant in England, sent to Germany for fitting into the engine, which is returned to another plant in England to be fitted to the car. The same sort of process must be going on for many other components and for other manufacturers, so how can 'global' manufacturing be better for the environment than 'local', though of course it may well be deemed to be 'more efficient' by the bean counters that control most things these days.

Trevor

Thread: Combi Boiler fault finding
18/12/2018 22:31:33

I don't do any fault finding with my combi, because when our old, inefficient, 16 years old one finally died,for just £24/month leasing fee we had a new boiler, all servicing,repairs and replacements included. It is now three years old and after 5 years I can purchase it for £1 and pay any future costs or start another leasing with a new boiler. No worries, no hassle, no capital outlay which I consider to be a good deal.

Trevor

Thread: knock ? engine
02/12/2018 17:10:18

Yes,co2 engines for very lightweight model aircraft operate on this principle, the piston has a small peg on its crown which as the engine turns through TDC the peg lifts the ball briefly and releases a small charge of gas which expands, pushing the piston down and is exhausted at the bottom of the stroke. Most of them will run in both directions, Gasparin is one brand, Czech made.

Trevor

Thread: Hi from Nelsons County
02/12/2018 17:03:36

Hi Andrew and welcome, there are quite a few of us amateur swarf generators and horders of ' will come in useful one-day stuff' spread around these parts, so probably someone is tucked away quite near to you, and as there's very little in the way of industrial supply here, you'll probably not have too much trouble in off loading your junk, sorry, useful stuff!

Trevor

Thread: Unnecessary waste of paper
30/11/2018 21:48:01

Probably over 15 years ago I had a conversation with one of our delivery men who once had been the area rep. for Wiggins Teap, one of the paper companies, and he told me that far from being the end of that industry, increasing computer use would help it to flourish. It seems that he is right and what seems to happen is that 'operatives' just do what computer says, they don't have either the time nor inclination to notice whether or not the automatically generated letter(s) is needed. Automated systems make the problem worse because there isn't a human who you can talk to about it, unless of course you want to dial what is laughingly called Customer Services and spend an increasing amount of one's remaining time on Earth 'on hold' and listening to Vivaldi or Clannad or some other boring synthetic 'pop' track on an endless loopangry. My collection of threatening letters automatically generated twice/thrice a month for the past 20 years by the TV Licence Gestapo is now over a foot high since I gave up trying to get them to stop. As someone has said earlier, this and all the other garbage mail helps to keep our posties and refuse/recycling collectors in work and even if most of the junk is unburnable glossy stuff, there's usually an envelope or two good for firelighting ( after being used for design doodles in the workshop- - - two birds/one stone and all that)

Trevor.

Thread: Tungsten Alloy
27/11/2018 20:59:30

Duncan, it might be worth you trying businesses that deal with aviation scrap/used parts. The flight control surfaces use very dense material for the balance weights, sometimes on light aircraft this is lead but more highly stressed aircraft use other heavy metals such as tungsten rich materials, many years ago when I repaired British military aircraft, we would often make up special rivet bucking blocks from discarded balance weights. Aviation tool suppliers stock Tungsten rich riveting bars in a variety of sizes, shapes and weights.

Trevor.

Thread: Stop Start switch
20/11/2018 20:30:12

Vic, you don't say if you've got the 4"belt/6"disc Far Eastern made type but my belt sander suffered the same problem and eventually failed totally, bought a replacement from Axminster.

Part# Kedu KJD20-2 @ £13.73.

Trevor.

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
09/11/2018 22:11:49

Joe, your interesting exercise reminds me of long past times flying in Blackburn Beverleys and watching the numerous harmonic dampers, which consisted of a pair of heavy cylindrical weights with bonded rubber cores mounted on a shaft within open boxes fixed to the fuselage frames, all oscillating merrily and absorbing some of the vibration. Radial engines have harmonic dampers fitted into the crankweb, though how the design engineers arrive at the right mass and positioning is beyond my grasp of mathematics! You might find this article interesting___http://www.enginehistory.org/NoShortDays/TV.pdf

Trevor

31/10/2018 22:14:44

I did this today...………………………….shaper 1.jpg

but before doing that, I should have done this...……………………..

shaper 2.jpg

My concentration was centered on the cutter but as soon as the machine ran I noticed the vibration and hit the red button and immediately gave myself a good earful of abuse and considered myself lucky that I didn't get injured by the handle flinging itself into me nor damaged anything in the shop !embarrassedembarrassed. Just might fit an extra safety micro-switch to be tripped when the handle is fitted.

Trevor.

Thread: A New Golden Age of Model Engineering Exhibitions
27/10/2018 11:37:37

Rip-off prices? Possibly, it depends on how one judges value for one's money, comparing £15 for entry to spend all day at a show against spending the same £15 to squirt it down the porcelain and getting a headache!

Here are some reasonably current numbers to add reality to the suggestion made by Simon Williams and within the same interest group of his good lady.

A recent Knitting & Stitching Show at Alexandra Palace had 300 stands with minimum area of 4 sq.mtrs. priced at c£300+/ sq.mtr.+ £50 for each electric socket. There were 27,000 visitors over the 4 days who spent an average of 5.3 hours attending, their average family income was judged to be c£52,000 (nearly double then ational average!) and the average spend was c£115, though I'm not sure what this sum included. (A smaller show within the same interest group held say at Harrogate will only yield about 12,000 visitors, who are quite likely to be less affluent and probably will spend less. The exhibitor costs will not however be much lower, perhaps 20% or so).

So if selling the floor space at Ally Pally to exhibitors yields, say, £360,000 to the promoter who has to pay the venue costs and if the door price is to recoup that sum from those visitor numbers then the ticket price needs to be a minimum of £14. The average spend of £115 by the visitor numbers quoted would yield £310,00+ , but is impossible to apportion to the 300 exhibitors with any accuracy because I have no idea what 'the spend' covers, nor do I know how the Promoter got these figures, but I suspect that they are based on their survey of a limited number of respondents declared expenses which include ticket, travel, food and purchases, and limited surveys taken from a few exhibitors. My thoughts are that these very limited surveys are then extrapolated to make brochures and reports as glossy as possible to pull in next year's punters!

If floor space were to be free to the exhibitors, yes indeed some might profit from a show, but the numbers used here only give an average turnover of £1000 or so per exhibitor for 4 days work, and they still have their normal input costs plus, travel and accommodation, which in a major city like London isn't cheap. The only way that an exhibitor can make a serious reduction in their costs is to leave booking space until after the deadline when the promotor might? get desperate with unfilled space.

So although the idea might work for some exhibitions Simon, but I very much doubt that model engineering by itself is a large enough and, dare I say it, a 'spendy' enough, interest group to provide the footfall needed to make it work at major venues.

Trevor

Thread: Newbie from Sheffield
23/10/2018 22:44:16

Hello Jon,

A Raglan 5" was my first 'proper' lathe, much better than a Myford in my view. An easy machine to strip/reassemble and very capable especially if you can acquire some of the original accessories.Take some time to set up the variable speed mechanism accurately and it'll run very nicely. I had mine for many years until I replaced it with an M300. A guy John Ward, up your way makes some (good quality) parts for Raglans.

Trevor

Thread: A New Golden Age of Model Engineering Exhibitions
23/10/2018 22:27:51

This has been an interesting thread to follow, and although I have never been to a model engineering exhibition, I've attended other hobby shows both large and small both as a visitor since the 1960's and over 20 years ago as assistant to my wife's former business trade stand at major venues and small local shows.

The major shows are very different affairs compared to the club or local show. For the former, the costs back then were c£100- £200/ square metre of floor space, extra for (limited) power supply,shows were mostly 4 day affairs so 3 nights nearby accommodation was needed, B & B 20 miles away from a city center venue is no good when you've got to get the stand ready an hour before the doors open, city parking charges, stock 'losses' etc. We never, ever made a profit during the whole week that it took to set up / tear down/ recover from, a major show .

Our only perceived return from these major venue shows was that they widened her market base by acting as 'live' advertising for the product and services and provided a break from our workshops, but after 3 years or so few new leads were generated and so we stopped attending them with no loss in sales.

It may offend some folk, but my observation is that many hobbyists, not matter whether their model, flies, floats, goes round on wheels, runs on steam, is made of wood, metal, or fine fabrics - - - - are rather parsimonious who can see the cost but not the value, as noted by Dave Halford. Hobbies for anyone are expensive in the sense that the expenditure is not necessary for physical survival, though it may indeed benefit one's emotional and mental well being immensely, but I feel that sometimes, some people are pursuing interests, or perhaps projects, that they don't really have the financial resources for.

All (constructional) hobbies though seem to have been in a slow but steady decline since the mid 1950's when viewed through old issues of the various interest magazines, and so my view is that it is probably important that here in UK , certainly for the major venues, we should amalgamate them into broad spectrum shows rather than narrow single interest shows that can no longer hope to have high attendances. I think that many of the large shows in Germany are run like this and do seem well attended.

Club shows have their own problems, and the work is usually borne by the same few stalwarts year on year, but generally the costs are bearable and may yield a small but welcome financial return and a new member or two, but are always good PR and a chance to raise the local profile.

Trevor

Thread: Forged & Filed
10/10/2018 10:07:01

A fantastic piece of work - - in all senses of the word! Artistry in metal and I almost expected one of Terry Pratchett's wizards to be lurking in the corner of the forge.

Trevor

Thread: A tale of two suppliers
05/10/2018 21:42:53
Posted by Nicholas Farr on 05/10/2018 21:22:19:

Hi, small orders shouldn't be brushed aside over a larger order, they all should be dealt with in order of being received.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 05/10/2018 21:23:33

I quite agree Nick ! When I ran my own small business customers requests were dealt with in the order that they were received without exception . To do otherwise, as has been suggested earlier, is to show that one considers the owner of a fat wallet to be a more important person than any other customer. The big-shot/big spender may think themselves important but in the great scale of things, they are not. Deferring to one person over another will not generate a loyal customer base which is essential for long term business survival.

Trevor

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Warco
Ausee.com.au
Meridenne Boat 2019
cowbells
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest