By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Peter Caswell

Here is a list of all the postings Peter Caswell has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: EN3 bowing after machining
13/11/2019 09:44:20

Many thanks for all your replies to my post.

I now know what to do in the future and have a good solution from Nigel McBurney to true up the parts, while in the vice I can drill and tap for the stud and all will be square.

12/11/2019 20:42:02

Many thanks for that explanation Clive F, as Clive B1 suggested I should have reduced the thickness equally from both sides but I guess from your explanation I would have to have it on its side, so to speak, to equally machine the top and bottom with very light cuts, as you said that would mean some creative work holding. Perhaps I should try some hot rolled!.

12/11/2019 19:54:02

Hi Peoples

Apologies if this under the wrong topic but it seemed the most appropriate. still learning and always will be and need some help and guidance regards machining EN3.

I wanted to make some Tee nuts, I had a 300mm length of EN3 20x20mm, I machined this to a Tee profile to chop up into 21mm lengths to make the tee nuts. It was rigidly clamped on the milling table and machined, reducing the height to 14mm, the width of the foot to 19mm with a 7mm step with the remainder to a width of 12mm.

Now the problem, when I unclamped it from the mill table it had a bow in it, the foot of the Tee being concave there being a gap just off centre of 1mm, I guess it was due to stresses being released (or created) during the milling,

As I am going to cut it up in 21mm lengths I can probably still use it, but what did I do wrong and how can I prevent repeating this.

Have put the project to one side now awaiting your knowledgeable replies.

Thanks

Peter

Thread: Countersink choices
31/01/2019 13:10:13
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 31/01/2019 12:34:34:

I tend to prefer single-fute ones, both bought and shop-made.

Three flute HSS ones work well, but more flutes than that and they chatter badly (I think multi-flute ones are meant for wood).

Neil

That what I have found Neil, the HSS multi flutes just don't seem to cut steel, of course it could be me, I must confess to date I have used same ones in both hand tools and machine tools, my new ones will be dedicated to machine tools. I have ordered a set of single flutes following the link that Roderick Jenkins kindly posted.

Thread: Micrometer woes
31/01/2019 00:02:28
Posted by peak4 on 27/01/2019 00:45:53:

It's an issue with many plastics as the plasticisers evaporate, or migrate to the surface.

N.B I'm not a chemist, just an observer.

Rigid plastics get brittle, foam disintegrates, which might actually be the same process.

I'm guessing its more obvious with foam due to its much higher surface area. I wonder of the longer term solution is the old fashioned one and to use felt as a box liner.

The other really obvious problem with disintegrating foam, is in the compliant pars of loudspeaker cones. Rubber lasts longer, but the foam falls apart after a few years, especially if you live near the sea.

Fortunately this one is curable as kits are readily available to repair the driver units.

Whilst on the subject of HiFi, anyone with an old collection of vinyl would be well advised to check the inner sleeves. Many of those used to have a plastic liner to the paper inner, and it's now getting to the age where it's starting to break down.

The same problem that Philip has with his micrometer can also affect LPs, but in this case the damage is audible rather than just in appearance, and is harder and more expensive to cure.

Bill

Edited By peak4 on 27/01/2019 00:48:11

Thanks for that tip on the vinyls Bill, have several cases from 60's and later stashed away, will have to have a check, no looking to forwarding to accessing them though..

Thread: Countersink choices
30/01/2019 19:41:50
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 30/01/2019 08:23:50:

If you want precision countersinking ;-
**LINK**

The holder gives the adjustable depth for the rivet head, the various cutters have different pilot diameters. But I doubt you wanted something this expensive / accuracy. I find the 'snail' type give good service.
BobH

Speedy Builder5 not what I am really looking for but it is interesting bit of kit and thanks, Haven't looked to see if these available in the UK but will do so out of interest.

30/01/2019 19:35:35
Posted by JasonB on 30/01/2019 09:01:22:

I tend to use the Ruko 3-flute ones and have not found the need to sharpen them. That really depends on what you are using them for, a lot of large CSK holes in black bar will wear them faster than small CSK holes in brass and ali

Thanks Jason, found a 12.4mm Ruko 3 flute at a reduced price at £7.30 (ex VAT) instead of £12.17 (ex VAT) but don't know if that is a good price?

Note your comment about black bar not something I have not used much of to date.

30/01/2019 19:29:06
Posted by pgk pgk on 30/01/2019 10:39:22:
Posted by Douglas Johnston on 30/01/2019 09:53:02:

I find the Weldon style zero flute type tend to be more forgiving than other types and cut very cleanly when sharp. Not so easy to sharpen though where the cutting face is formed by an angled hole through the cone shape.

Doug

I've not had need to sharpen mine yet but always planned to spin it up in a cordless drill and offer it up against the belt sander?
What I like about them is one can debur a hole quickly in a hand chuck.

pgk

Thanks Doug and pgk (learning may around on this forum, is this the right way to thank replies to a post I made?)

29/01/2019 20:32:02

Hello members of MEW Forum, this is my first post so please forgive me for any errors in protocol.

Could I please request the members to share their experiences and views of countersink bits.

I wish to replace my old HSS multi flute ones which I have never been entirely happy with regards to the concentricity of the countersinks they form and slow cutting (probably because of dull cutting edges), also the difficulty of re-sharpening, which I have neither the experience or equipment to do so. The types of countersink are many and of course manufactures and sellers favour the ones they make/sell. Also the cost varies widely from a few pounds for a set from the far east to upwards of £70 for one cutter from well known brands and a whole host in between. In advance of advice, for ease of resharpening maybe I favour single flute cutters. I would particularly welcome any experience of far east ones as I have had reasonable experiences of end mills from there, which are cheap enough to throw away (after use I mean!).

Thank you.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Ausee.com.au
cowells
ChesterUK
Tee London LMES 6th Dec
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest