By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dr. MC Black

Here is a list of all the postings Dr. MC Black has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Annoying Anonymous Phone Calls
14/05/2022 01:53:59

Somebody rang today and asked to speak to "Mr Macblack"

I explained that there was no such person and while I was asking him if he wanted to speak to "Doctor MC Black", he terminated the call.

MC

14/05/2022 01:16:36
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 13/05/2022 15:38:20:

Also, if rung by a scammer, don't argue or engage with them, best to just put the phone down. They will get bored of the game before you do.

Neil

If I receive a call that sounds suspicious, I tell the caller that I'm cooking and would he or she mind hanging on for a short time until I finish. Then I put the handset on the bench and wait 15 or 20 minutes.

When I go back to the caller, if he or she is still waiting, I tell him or her that he or she must wait a little longer until I have finished with what I'm cooking.

Generally, he or she gives up and terminates the call.

This benefits the world in general because while he or she is waiting to continue talking to me, he or she cannot be calling anybody else.

The caller is paying for the call after all.

MC

28/04/2022 11:14:20

I had no idea that Charities sell lists of their supporters.

Surely that's contravening GDPR or other Data Protection legislation.

I have an account with the Charities Aid Foundation and have a sort of "Cheque Book" for that account. It is printed ANONYMOUS where some people have their name and address.

When I receive communications from charities by post, I return the begging letter in their FREEPOST envelope asking the charity to remove my details from their records and mailing lists.

Over the course of a year, I give a lot of money to charities - but they are charities of my choice and rarely in response to requests.

And please don't get me started about those people with clipboards who are paid to accost people in the street!

MC

28/04/2022 00:18:54

I am never troubled by nuisance telephone calls to my cell'phone because:

(a) I do NOT give that number to anybody - I use the cell'phone for outgoing calls only. I tell contacts to only ring me on my landline telephone number.

(b) I can NOT hear the ring-tone because it is pathetically quiet. So I never answer it.

When I receive suspicious calls on my landline telephone number, I politely tell callers that they must speak slowly and loudly - and they usually hang up.

When people who do talk slowly and loudly try to sell me something, I tell them that I'm in the middle of cooking something and would he or she kindly hang on.....

When I go back to the telephone after twenty or thirty minutes, the caller has usually terminated the call.

This has the benefit that while he is waiting for me, he can NOT be ringing anybody else.

MC

Edited By Dr. MC Black on 28/04/2022 00:19:26

Thread: MEW on PocketMags
23/04/2022 18:19:24

My printed magazine arrived a few days ago but I still can NOT find the electronic copy in PocketMags.

Is this to do with the change of ownership?

MC

Thread: Odd Car Boot Finds?
29/03/2022 00:26:32

I reluctantly disagree with Dave but I spent half of my life in university and School Physics labs.

Banana plugs were NOT at all common in labs (as against Radio workshops) before the mid-70s.

The Fluted Cylinder closed the contact between the two halves of the brass.

Has Mr. King been able to check resistance and/or continuity between terminals?

MC

Thread: Tapping straight
28/03/2022 21:46:31
Posted by Peter Ellis 5 on 28/03/2022 17:42:02:

Bruno Mueller has done one without castings.

.http://www.mueller-bruno.de/saeulenwerkzeug-pillar-tool.html

Cheers

Peter

Thank you

Unfortunately, Herr Mueller has described what he built in German - which is a closed book to me.

The photographs showed what looked like castings to me!

With best wishes and thanks again.

MC

28/03/2022 12:47:36
Posted by Clive Brown 1 on 24/03/2022 09:00:24:

The "ultimate" solution is a universal pillar tool, designed by George Thomas and available as a kit from Hemingway.

Has anybody designed something like GT’s Pillar Tool but NOT using Castings.

Article in an old magazine perhaps?

MC

Thread: Odd Car Boot Finds?
28/03/2022 12:35:39

I suggest that you check continuity and resistance between the various terminals.

i suspect a hollow cylinder matching the one on the left hand post is missing.

But it should not be too difficult to make a replacement from brass.

It reminds me of “Post Office Boxes” - am I showing my age?

MC

Thread: References from Printed Magazine
24/03/2022 11:34:15

I know that I'm going senile but the printed issues of Model Engineers' Workshop refer to Additional Content on the "Website" but I have never been able to find it.

I should be most grateful if somebody would kindly tell me how to find the Additional Content from the Model-Engineer.co.uk Home Page.

Very many thanks

MC

Thread: Changing my Email client
23/03/2022 12:33:34

I have no wish to access email from anywhere other than my computer in my study.

I save important messages; I have 12Gb of messages saved on my computer.

I have no faith in the security of any messages saved anywhere other than my computer.

Eudora works for me.

I subscribe to the ungrammatical concept "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

MC

23/03/2022 00:06:14
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 22/03/2022 22:36:17:

Email at work is evil. I remember when I first got over a hundred emails in one day. No idea what the maximum was, I gave up counting. They carried on arriving when I was off sick and on holiday so there was always a giant backlog waiting when I got back. email made people ill.

Dave

Years ago, somebody told me that computers would make my life easier.

He was lying through his teeth!

I waste a lot of time every day checking messages in my JUNK mailbox because one or two important messages trigger the algorithm to label them as junk and I need to see them.

Conversely, the algorithm misses a lot that are Junk.

In my view, people who send junk or "spam" messages should be publicly and ceremonially castrated - you will note from this that I'm a wishy-washy liberal!!

MC

22/03/2022 22:05:05

Will Pegasus work on an AppleMac running OS 10.6.8 ?

When I worked at the University, I frequently received messages that needed to be answered by another department so I wanted to be able to redirect the message to the Head of the other department, so when he hit "reply", the response went to the enquiring student.

Unfortunately, somebody decided that I had to use "Outlook" ( NOT know as "outHOUSE" without reason) so I received the replies.

One of the consequences was my early retirement, with poor health - but I do NOT, under any circumstances, want to think about that.

MC

22/03/2022 13:56:29

Eudora allows redirection as distinct from forwarding.

I have never found any other email client software that allows redirection.

22/03/2022 11:57:59

I am still using Eudora on my Apple Mac

I have NOT found any other email client that has the same features and allows searching as quickly.

If Eudora stops working, I'll revert to Royal Mail Letterpost

MCB

Thread: Engineering tuition recommendations
22/03/2022 11:29:32
Posted by Andrew Tinsley on 17/03/2022 19:59:57:

Night classes are a dying breed. Our local collage got rid of its engineering classes years ago. The space is now a trainee hair salon.

There's an evening class "Basic Skills in Engineering" at College of North East London at Enfield. The workshop is equipped with lathes, milling machines, pillar drills as well as hand tools.

There is plenty of space in the workshop for more students and on-site parking.

If anybody is interested, please send me a message off-list so I can ring.

MCB

Thread: Broken Tap removal tool
22/03/2022 11:05:39

Please kindly tell us where you bought the set (if you can remember!).

The set seems to be a useful thing to have "just in case"....

Edited By Dr. MC Black on 22/03/2022 11:06:17

Thread: Metal Cleaning Using Vinegar?
20/02/2022 15:03:19
Posted by gerry madden on 20/02/2022 12:13:39:

For these reasons I also tried Arc's rust remover product which I imagine works in a similar way to 'evaporust'. It was totally hopeless. If you just let the parts soak in it for 24 hours nothing at all happened. If one followed the instructions and repeatedly scrubbed the part during the soak, one would eventually remove the rust

Gerry

Arc sell Restore

I used restore on lot of tools that were rusted solid. I diluted the concentrate the recommended amount and used it in a heated ultrasonic bath.

The results were the opposite of Mr. Maddens!

One of the things was a radius gauge set - after some time in the bath, the individual leaves can move separately.

I don't know what components are in Restore - and guess that Shield Technology will NOT be keen to divulge that information! But the SDS may provide a clue!

MC

17/02/2022 23:08:18
Posted by Derek Lane on 17/02/2022 16:26:03:

I have on order some Oxalic acid which they say is good for rust I will try it.

Thinking back to the days when I taught Chemistry, I recall that Oxalic Acid is Poisonous.

I advise caution.

30/01/2022 23:43:57

I have had excellent results using Shield Technology's RESTORE.

I put it in a heated Ultrasonic Bath to sped up the process

MC

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest