By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Grindstone Cowboy

Here is a list of all the postings Grindstone Cowboy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Ferrous, facing, HSS tool geometry
24/10/2021 09:20:41

I always remember by thinking which hand I'd be using if swinging an axe into the material. Works for me cool

Rob

Thread: Saving the Planet or is it ?
23/10/2021 16:59:31
Posted by Ady1 on 22/10/2021 10:25:29:

Thirty thousand are flying into Glasgow and dining on the finest cuisine from around the world to help save the planet

I'm always impressed by the sacrifices our leaders make in a crisis

Allegedly, they are using diesel generators to charge the fleet of electric cars used to ferry the delegates around... surprise

Rob

Links to https://www.nationandstate.com/2021/10/16/un-climate-change-conference-reportedly-using-diesel-generators-to-charge-teslas-being-used-as-shuttles/

Thread: Soldering a front tube plate
19/10/2021 16:57:22

The flux is Stay-Silv Black by Harris Products apparently - I found their website here. Don't know if it's available in the UK though. She mentions it contains boron to extend the temperature range.

Links to https://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/en/Products/Alloys/Brazing/Fluxes/Stay-Silv-Black-Flux.aspx

Rob

18/10/2021 21:18:32

Never built a boiler myself, but have been following the Blondihacks Youtube series on making a vertical boiler. She made the tube plate a loose fit and used pins to hold it in place whilst soldering - for example here.

Rob

Thread: Cladding material
12/10/2021 23:22:15

Galvanised iron usually takes paint better if left out to weather for a while - although that probably wouldn't be a practical solution for a loco.

Rob

Thread: SKY abandoning their satellite customers
11/10/2021 11:27:43

I think it was the term "in the near future" that raised eyebrows - well, mine anyway.

Rob

Thread: Grinding Tool Bits from Cylindrical HSS Blanks
11/10/2021 11:17:43

I'd give it a rub on an oilstone, you don't want to take too much off and have to start again.

Rob

Thread: mamod
11/10/2021 10:00:57

I'm with John Olsen on this one. None of my Mamod boilers show any sign of de-zincification after years of use - but always with the supplied meths burners.

As some may remember from school science lessons, you can heat a paper bag of water with a candle flame with no damge to the bag, as long as the water is in contact with the inside of the bag wherever the flame is in contact with the outside. The heat is conducted away quickly enough to prevent burning the paper.

I'd say the same principle holds true for the Mamod brass boilers. All bets are off if you either run out of water, or use a heat source that supplies heat faster than it can be conducted away.

Rob

Thread: SKY abandoning their satellite customers
11/10/2021 08:58:20
Posted by Anthony Kendall on 11/10/2021 08:42:21:
Posted by David George 1 on 11/10/2021 07:12:58:

The BBC will in the near future get rid of transmitters to aerials and expect all viewers to use the broad band network instead saving billions of pounds in maintenance and renewal costs. Progress? David

Who says?

Or, to put it another way, says who?

Thread: Chester Hobby Store sale
08/10/2021 16:21:16

Just had a notification about a sale this weekend at Chester Hobby Store (9/10 Oct 2021)

"We're giving all Hobby Store customers a whopping 30% off on all tooling & accessory orders this weekend!

Starting today through until Midnight Sunday. Use our discount code OCT21 to get 30% off your tooling order this weekend only."
Hope this is allowed and may prove useful to someone. I have no connection with them, indeed have never bought anything from them, so no recommendations given or implied.
Rob
Thread: Chain Protection Sleeve
06/10/2021 14:15:33

For a sleeved cable, maybe consider using or modifying a laptop security cable? Would probably need shortening, though.

Rob

Thread: What lathe does this steady rest fit?
06/10/2021 09:31:27

I'm guessing it would clamp onto the cross-slide dovetails? Adjusting it so as not to foul anything might be a chore, though. frown

Rob

Thread: (old) Proxxon BFW 36/E vs. (new) Proxxon BFW 40/E
05/10/2021 09:47:19
Posted by John Smith 47 on 01/10/2021 17:23:05:

But was he right to use dog point? Wouldn't V at the bottom of the slot (plus a V point on the screw) help centre it?......

I think he was - it would only take a very small amount of wear, or a very small loosening of a V-pointed screw to have a large effect on the possible angular movement. Whereas a dog-pointed screw would at least be consistent until it fell out altogether.

Although I don't think either would be a good enough method to be relied upon for accurate positioning. I like Pete's suggestion of marking the column and clamp and aligning by eye.

+1 on what Andrew said as well, people tend to respond to how they are addressed.

Rob

Edited By Grindstone Cowboy on 05/10/2021 09:53:16

Thread: My E-GO doesn't go
02/10/2021 18:30:14

Ah ha! Fixed one for a friend about a month ago which had very similar symptoms. In his case, it turned out to be the battery protection board, found inside the battery casing. The battery voltage showed as normal when tested with a voltmeter, but when placed under load, it dropped to nearly zero. A new board, which was almost a direct replacement, was found on Amazon for around £14.

Hope it's as easy a fix for yours - it looks to be a very similar bike, Chinese?

If you want more info after testing it under the conditions I described, post again.

Rob

Thread: cutting spur gears on a mill
02/10/2021 11:02:19

Could we perchance have a glossary covering some of the more obscure / possibly unique abbreviations?

I'm starting to feel like Jack Lemmon in 'Some Like It Hot' when he said "Nobody talks like that!" dont know

Rob

Thread: Grinding tool bits
02/10/2021 09:36:15

Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 02/10/2021 09:30:05:

....I don't see any value in honing lathe tools. Am I right?

Dave

Well, from what little I know, and from personal experience, I've had better results with HSS when it's honed.

Rob

Thread: M6 thread locking/stiff screw
02/10/2021 09:32:52
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 02/10/2021 00:18:43:

Here’s some info. about Nylon Patch screws [as per my IKEAscrounge]: **LINK**

https://www.fastenerdata.co.uk/thread-locking

Quite a useful device, I think.

MichaelG.

That's very interesting, Michael - I'd seen those before but assumed it was some sort of pre-applied Loctite, rather than nylon. Good find, thanks yes

Rob

Thread: Grinding tool bits
01/10/2021 10:40:51

You could do worse than follow the Blondihacks series of beginner videos by Quinn Dunki found here. Not saying everything is gospel and never to be deviated from, but it's a good start.

With 20cm blanks I'd cut them in half and grind a tool on each end (which is probably what you were doing anyway).

Links to https://www.youtube.com/c/Blondihacks/playlists

Rob

Thread: Maplin Weather Station Repairs
30/09/2021 13:35:28

Apologies for stating the obvious, but are the batteries good?

Rob

Thread: (old) Proxxon BFW 36/E vs. (new) Proxxon BFW 40/E
29/09/2021 23:25:15

Anyone suggested a surface grinder yet? face 22

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
BOLDON
walker midge
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
rapid Direct
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest