By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Grindstone Cowboy

Here is a list of all the postings Grindstone Cowboy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Wonky tables
24/02/2020 19:17:36

That's what they make beermats for wink

Thread: DONCASTER SHOW
24/02/2020 19:15:38

Expohour appears to provide a summary of trade shows around the world, and has probably calculated the 2020 dates based on the 2019 dates (and messing up by ignoring the fact it's a leap year). I'd definitely go with the information on the show website and Eventbrite.

Thread: Myford ML7 headstock diameter
20/02/2020 00:28:29

This thread may prove useful.

Thread: Strange item on Boxford tailstock
15/02/2020 21:41:59

Excellent, thanks for confirming it thumbs up

Thread: Did i make the right choice buying an old banger Myford lathe.
15/02/2020 21:11:50

I don't think anybody was comparing Myfords to Spitfires - I certainly wasn't. Apologies if that was the impression I gave.

Thread: Strange item on Boxford tailstock
15/02/2020 21:08:36

img_3200.jpgBeen having a muck about with my newly acquired Boxford C (circa 1959 by the serial number), and found an odd little knurled knob on the top of the tailstock. It just lifts out of a blind hole and has a short rod with a flattened end.

I seem to recall hearing something about oil reservoirs so that you could apply a drop of cutting oil to your centre drill - is this what it is? Seems like you'd constantly be topping it up - it's not a particularly big hole. And I've not found any references to it on the Boxford parts lists either. I'm starting to suspect there may have been a number of design changes over the years, not all documented.

img_3199.jpg

Thread: Location of Boxford serial numbers
15/02/2020 14:27:29

Thanks guys, just had a look with better lighting and there it was - when I was looking yesterday it was in a dark garage, and I didn't have my glasses on.

C7912 which puts it at late '50s as far as I can tell. Some differences in the pulley guard and countershaft system to those shown on lathes.co.uk for a model C which was throwing me off a bit with the identification, but it may have had bits swapped about over its lifetime. Condition is scruffy, but I think basically good underneath.

15/02/2020 08:58:29

Apologies for the silly question, but where would I find the serial number on my newly acquired Boxford lathe? I am fairly sure it's a model C - could be a CSB from what I can find on lathes.co.uk.

I'll try and post a picture later to see if anyone has a better idea of the model.

Thanks,

Rob

Thread: Did i make the right choice buying an old banger Myford lathe.
14/02/2020 19:58:53

Well, my friend, sadly now deceased, was apprenticed at Broadbent lathes and always told me Boxfords were better than Myfords (although he had an ML10 set up for milling).

14/02/2020 18:27:39

Whilst clearing a friend's workshop over the last couple of days, I had a philosophical moment and came to the conclusion that in many areas, there's often a choice between the robust, reliable and usually better made workhorse, and the sleek, "name brand" one with a bit of popular following. To illustrate - WW2 British fighter planes: Hurricane or Spitfire? Cameras: Canon or Nikon? Lathes: Box-ford or Myford?

(Full disclosure, I use Nikon cameras and, until today, Myford lathes) smiley

Thread: Cleaning an old lathe
13/02/2020 18:07:56

Careful, brake fluid will also soften and remove the paint if you get any on it. Try paraffin or white spirits (which may also affect the paint, but to a lesser extent, so a test might be in order.

Thread: Effect of Tensioning a Boring Bar
11/02/2020 21:39:34

Been following this thread with interest, and have possibly understood about 5% of the hard sums, but a thought occurred to me - it's all been about trying to stretch the the outer tube with an inner push-rod, yes?

How about the other way around? Using a threaded inner, fixed at one end and with a nut and washer on the other, thus compressing the outer?

No idea whether it would be better or worse, just musing.

Thread: Is there as Raspberry Pi expert in the house ?
11/02/2020 20:44:18

Excellent - I'm sure it will all go OK now thumbs up

11/02/2020 20:07:27

" it renames the card as RECOVERY, and reduces its apparent capacity [so the card has to be re-formatted] "

That doesn't sound at all right - but I would reformat on every attempt in any case. Looking at your link re the EEPROM needing re-flashing.. well, in for a penny as they say, you might as well give it a go.

And just to be sure - you are formatting as FAT32, aren't you? Apologies if it sounds like one of those grandmother and eggs scenarios.

Unfortunately I don't have any experience of using a Mac for any of this, but willing to be a sounding board for you. Quite often just telling somebody else about an issue prompts a lightbulb moment in your own mind.

EDIT - having thought about it a little longer, I don't think the EEPROM is the issue, unless the test they describe also shows it to be faulty. I don't think you'd get as far as the rainbow screen if it was.

Edited By Grindstone Cowboy on 11/02/2020 20:36:32

11/02/2020 18:40:38

All I can suggest is re-burning the NOOBS image onto your card - sometimes things just go wrong (don't ask me how I know frown).

I suspect you already followed the tutorial, but here's a link anyway.

Good luck!

Thread: Frost steel blacking kit.
09/02/2020 00:26:53

This link should work for the cold blue on Ebay

Thread: How to hand grind 55 degree cutter for 32TPI?
02/02/2020 21:48:19

Ian beat me to it, but here's a link anyway

Thread: A question of beat
31/01/2020 00:02:43

Slightly off-topic, but including time, temperature and crickets...

To get a rough estimate of the temperature in degrees fahrenheit, count the number of cricket chirps in 15 seconds and then add 37.

Thread: Why does everyone disagree with you
29/01/2020 17:02:29

What those medieval theologians needed was a workshop each, then *they* could have had the debates about HSS and carbide, Myford and Boxford, etc and saved us all the bother

Thread: Anodizing
28/01/2020 23:44:51

I'm probably wrong, but I thought anodising only worked on aluminium and it's alloys? Neil Wyatt (amongst others) has posted a number of times about anodising - for example here.

If you do a search for anodising ( at the top of the thread you'll see "Search for: in Thread Title in All Topics", just enter 'anodising' as the keyword and click the 'Go' button), you'll find many threads referring to the subject.

Hope this helps.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Warco
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest