By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Grindstone Cowboy

Here is a list of all the postings Grindstone Cowboy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: I want a telescope
25/02/2021 17:30:07

Lidl / Aldi sometimes do pretty cheap spotting scopes, which I think would be optically OK for peering at the border, but can be a bit off-putting as the eyepiece is at an angle to the direction you are looking. You get used to it though.

Rob

Thread: Messages received
24/02/2021 17:26:18
Posted by Meunier on 24/02/2021 14:07:44:

W10/Opera, made new sub-folder under 'ModelEngineer' folder called PM's, opened up individual PMs I wanted to preserve, right/click, add to Bookmarks, select PM folder, click Done.
DaveD

Happy to be proven wrong, but I think all you've done there is create a link / shortcut to the webpage where the PM is. Once the forum software changes, I suspect they may disappear.

Rob

Thread: Boxford Cross slide
23/02/2021 21:45:48

Sorry Clive, that's not what I meant. My Boxford has what are essentially much smaller versions of the plugs you mention under all of the gib adjusting screws, both on the cross-slide and compound slide. May not be original, but I have no reason to think they are not.

Rob

Thread: Building a small bench
23/02/2021 19:58:30

What,s wrong with angle iron ?surprise

Not a lot - my first ML7 had a very nicely made stand made from welded 2x2 angle topped off with what looked like an old school desk lid. Not sure if the elderly gent I bought it from had made it or if he had got it from a previous owner. The legs were cut and welded to splay outwards at the bottom to make it more stable

I added an upright sheet of ply between the back legs with various pegs and screws to hang things on, and a shelf at the bottom ( about a foot from the floor) held just about everything else.

Rob

23/02/2021 19:51:11

They should have a little cylindrical plug with an angled end to bear on the gib. And yes, 2BA grub screws - particularly in longer lengths - seem to be vastly overpriced.

Rob

Thread: What is this? Something to do with hardness?
23/02/2021 18:54:20

Could you turn it over and use it as something flattish to stick wet and dry on? Thus saving your surface plate the indignity.

Rob

23/02/2021 18:45:58

As far as I know, they are 2BA - they are on mine, but check with a 2BA bolt to be certain.

Rob

Edit - before chucking the existing ones away, have a close look to see if they are the self-locking type - you may be able to see a round dot on the side where some nylon (or similar material) is inserted. If you still want to throw them out, send them to me devil

Edited By Grindstone Cowboy on 23/02/2021 18:58:53

Thread: Hoglet drawings
23/02/2021 15:10:16

I don't have any experience with Model Engine Builder, but most digital purchases are pretty much immediate, usually via a link in an email. If they are in the USA, maybe they haven't started work yet today

I'd keep checking your emails.

Rob

Thread: thresher belts
23/02/2021 14:34:04

Thanks Dave - I was looking for the reference to twisted belts. All the ones I've seen were canvas.

Rob

23/02/2021 13:00:23
Posted by not done it yet on 23/02/2021 12:12:22:
Posted by Dave Halford on 21/02/2021 14:42:09

You did actually follow the link that I posted?

I did, until I read that the belt was twisted to keep it on. Lost interest at that point. Clearly written by someone who has b-all experience of them.

Belts were given a twist to reverse the rotation. Belts were run on domed pulleys which kept them running centrally.

For me, the link just takes me to a page of Bing search results - which one of them are we supposed to be looking at?

Thanks.

Rob

Thread: Skynet is Coming
23/02/2021 11:20:09
Posted by Mike Poole on 23/02/2021 11:07:39:

Us hardcore bikers used to like a slug of battery acid on a cold day, warms the cockles of your heart, ...

Don't get pulled over after doing that, Mike, you might get charged by the police...

wink

Rob

Thread: thresher belts
22/02/2021 23:37:00

There's a threshing machine in action in this episode of "Dad's Army" around 17 minutes in.

Rob

Thread: Oiler from lamp Bulb
22/02/2021 00:50:19

A video on blowing a glass bubble here.

Rob

Thread: Making micro-drills
21/02/2021 20:43:31

I found this video on micro-drill manufacture quite interesting. In fact, most of the "How It's Made" series are worth a look.

Rob

Thread: Train snowplough at work in scotland
20/02/2021 22:35:35

They do steam-powered ones as well, as can be seen at around 2 min 10 sec in this excellent film.

Rob

Thread: Should it be bent? Meddings Content
20/02/2021 19:51:51

Can't imagine any reason why it would have originally been made that way. Belt wear, noise and possibly damage to bearings would be some of the effects of the pulleys being out of line.

More than likely the result of a fall.

Rob

Thread: Brazing hearth
19/02/2021 21:14:53

Firebricks, but not the sort you get out of old storage heaters as they absorb rather than reflect the heat. To be honest, it's probably easiest just to get the pukka stuff from CuP Alloys or similar suppliers.

Rob

Thread: What about a "like" button on the forum?
19/02/2021 12:24:21

Occasionally I see a post and think "Oh, I like / agree with that" and if there was a "Like" button would probably press it. But unless it was an earth-shattering pronouncement, the feeling soon passes and what real benefit would it be to the original poster (or myself) to know that we agree with each other? If it's something that actually needs to be commented upon one way or the other, then I think it only polite to take the time and effort to actually write something. Even if it's just "+1 on what xxxxx said!"

And all the above goes for "Dislike" as well but in reverse.

Rob

Thread: Warco Lathe Query
18/02/2021 15:56:30

At least part of the "Warco question" has been restored to the start of this thread, albeit with (I think) some censoring.

Trying to imagine a five letter word that would fit...

Rob

Edited By Grindstone Cowboy on 18/02/2021 15:58:28

Thread: Could I have done this more efficiently...
18/02/2021 01:02:03

+1 for Paul's method - removes the need to make my threaded lump.

Rob

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
emcomachinetools
Warco
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest