By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Grindstone Cowboy

Here is a list of all the postings Grindstone Cowboy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Ultrasonic Cleaner
10/07/2020 21:05:14

I use Seaclean2 which seems pretty good on most things, and will remove light rust - it does sometimes leave a kind of grey deposit that can be easily brushed off, it must depend on the alloy as it does not happen every time.. Don't think it will work on paints though.

I use the "solution in a container in water in the cleaner" method and have had no issues so far - an old Pot Noodle container works fine, but does tend to float a bit.

(Note - I found that link does not work with the latest version of Firefox unless you enable older security protocols)

Hope this helps.

Rob

Thread: Lamp Post Engine
03/07/2020 21:18:47

I like that! Very nice work.

Rob

Thread: Spare parts.
03/07/2020 21:16:38

This any good? Only one left, and non-genuine, but it's cheap.

Usual disclaimer, etc.

Rob

03/07/2020 20:00:00

Is there a longer serial number anywhere - usually on a sticker on the inside of the door? Usually easier to track down spares if you have one.

Regards,

Rob

Thread: Coronavirus, advice from ME
01/07/2020 16:50:29
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 01/07/2020 10:15:51:

I have few issues from the Second World War and none from the first.

Well, that's good to hear

Thread: Poor mans mill feed speed control
01/07/2020 15:38:38

Nice one - I believe that in the days of hand-cranked movie cameras, the cameramen would hum or whistle a suitable tune, one of the favourites being "The Anvil Chorus". No idea what feedrate that would give you...

Regards,

Rob

Thread: lead solder
26/06/2020 12:43:42

Good result - they are very helpful people to boot. Usual disclaimer, just a very satisfied customer.

Rob

Thread: Change to the Code of Conduct
24/06/2020 13:33:26

+1 on what Rod and Nick said - I actually like the format of this forum, a lot of others seem very cluttered.

Just my two cents worth.

Rob

Thread: Artistic hand cut oilways
23/06/2020 23:24:38

If you ever get it running again, it'll be a mackerel.

I know my plaice....

23/06/2020 20:29:11

Just looking at that gives me a haddock!

I'll get me coat...

Thread: Bedford Files
23/06/2020 20:06:35
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 23/06/2020 17:14:34:

Was my link to Cousins of no interest ?

MichaelG.

It was to me, thanks, placing an order for some handles now yes

All the best,

Rob

Thread: Hylomar universal blue failed to seal oil?
23/06/2020 12:57:26
Posted by Howard Lewis on 23/06/2020 12:44:30:.

We used Wellseal, (horrid smelly stuff ), to seal the top of the liner to the block. Like Hylomar, it was difficult to remove if you got any on your hands. ....

It certainly is - thank heavens for disposable gloves and brushes It's great for metal to metal joints though.

Rob

23/06/2020 12:43:00

I'd use Wellseal for that as I have some handy, or a Loctite sealant. But your Hylomar shouldn't have been lumpy?

Rob

Thread: Change to the Code of Conduct
22/06/2020 21:50:38

Seems entirely reasonable.

Thread: Constantly Having To Log In To The Website
22/06/2020 15:11:13

Personally, I don't find it much of an issue - I can read posts without logging in, and having to login to reply gives you that vital extra time to think about what you're going to say in order to avoid offending anyone.

(I was already logged in, so that didn't apply in this case )

Rob

Thread: Buying first lathe
22/06/2020 13:47:10

Seems okay IMHO - I think it's just the covers that have been repainted, as they look a slightly different shade to me? And there appears to be a bunch of useful extras with it.

Rob

Thread: Odd Screw on Boxford Tailstock
21/06/2020 16:51:20
Posted by Martin Connelly on 20/06/2020 20:51:06:

We all have our blind spots and "of course, doh!" moments.

Martin C

Contrary to what you would expect with increasing age and hence experience, I am getting more and more of them

Thread: Weeds in a 'lawn'
21/06/2020 16:49:37
Posted by Gary Wooding on 21/06/2020 16:25:04:

After I cut the 'grass' last week I Weedoled it, but the unwanted flowers have re-appeared. I'll try cutting and Weedol again tomorrow - if it doesn't rain.

It's probably apparent that I'm definitely not a gardener.

Try and leave at least three full days between Weedolling and mowing or vice versa, and Weedol when the grass is not bone dry, but at least 12 hours before it's likely to rain again. It's never straightforward...

And I don't think Weedol is quite as good as it was when it was Verdone, but it definitely works as there is a clear straight line between weeds / no weeds on a patch of shared lawn where the neighbour doesn't bother.

And +1 for generally leaving the grass a bit longer, at least two inches. And homemade weedkiller can be made with vinegar, magnesium sulphate (although I have heard table salt also works) and a squirt of detergent. Seems to work best on dandelions and fleshy-leaved ones, although if you persist you can kill more or less anything.

Regards,

Rob

Thread: Odd Screw on Boxford Tailstock
20/06/2020 20:34:01

Oh, don't I feel daft now! How obvious. In my defence, it was off the lathe when I started dismantling it for painting, so not really seen it in position. blush

Thanks guys.

20/06/2020 19:51:32

I'm sure someone will know the answer to this, but it's got me stumped - what is the extra screw on the rear side of a Boxford (Model C Bench type) for? That's the slotted on in the photo.

img_3414.jpg

img_3415.jpg

Pretty sure it's an original fitting - the hole it fits into is plugged by something that does not appear to be removable - no slot or hex recess - so it just sits there, sticking out about an inch and a half.

Thanks,

Rob

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest