By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Grindstone Cowboy

Here is a list of all the postings Grindstone Cowboy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Today's 'Live Chat' with TalkTalk
20/11/2019 18:34:08

Whichever it is, it seems to work, I was getting a call every day around 11am about my Amazon Prime account (I don't have one) and these stopped as soon as I did the 1572 thing.

20/11/2019 17:33:13

Something that might help lessen the number of scam calls, and which I only found out about the other day, is a service included in my phone package - I'm with Plusnet, but I suspect it will work for BT customers as well as they are the same firm. Basically, if you get a scam call, put the phone down, dial 1572 and then press 1. This will add the scammer's number to a blacklist, and any calls from that number in future will just be directed to a voicemail.

Hope this helps someone.

Just had a look and it does work for BT - see here

Rob

Thread: Rod Stewart's Model Railway
13/11/2019 18:54:11

I'm quite impressed by his modelling skills!

Thread: Warco VMC Z Axis spacer
10/11/2019 20:05:52

If you have a digital subscription to MEW, you can access the back issues online. Login, click on 'Magazines' on the top green bar, select 'Model Engineer's Workshop' and Issue 215 is to be found on page 4 af the archive.

HTH

Rob

Thread: How does someone gauge the power of a DC or AC motor?
08/11/2019 11:03:06

Clearly our Old Duffer isn't as silly as he claims yes Great explanation!

Has the first part of this conversation disappeared for everyone else as well, or is it just me? First post appears to be from Bill now.

Rob

Thread: new computer
08/11/2019 10:40:06

Don't know which duplicator Mike uses, but CPC have a few, varying in price from £70 to £700.

Thread: What a refreshing change !
06/11/2019 21:40:53

This should work ok

Thread: Web-sites Going AWOL
30/10/2019 10:08:56

Just something to note about turning your router on and off on a regular basis - it could cause your speed to be lower than the optimum, as the connection takes time to 'settle'.

To quote from the Plusnet website " It's best to leave it on, even at night. When you switch it off and on a lot, it makes it look like your line's unstable. When that happens, your telephone exchange will temporarily make your speed lower because it thinks your line can't cope with anything higher. "

29/10/2019 19:40:28

Could be a red herring, but it looks to me like the Townsend links that work are townsendbearings.co.uk and the ones that fail are www.townsendbearings.co.uk

Possibly someone messed up an website update?

Thread: What grade
14/10/2019 16:44:50

I can heartily recommend Renaissance Wax to prevent tarnishing once you have polished them. And for the polishing, I'd go with Solvol Autosol.

(Other suppliers are available, it was just the first link I found)

Rob

Thread: O ring sizes?
10/10/2019 21:51:59

You could try Polymax

Thread: Resistance Soldering question
08/10/2019 16:01:57

Firstly, I am very impressed by your work.

Secondly, and I may be (probably am) talking absolute rubbish here, could you tin the larger piece first in the precise spot you are going to attach the smaller part, then only the solder has to melt and the piece is 'pre-wetted' for want of a better term? For that matter, could you tin both parts?

Thread: Creating Heat for Hardening
07/10/2019 23:24:04

Get some firebricks and make a bit of a hearth - no need for anything fancy, just a right-angled corner will do. They'll help contain and reflect the heat back into the work.

Thread: Grinding wheel 'washers'
07/10/2019 21:55:38

If yours are a bit thin, just double them up. I have also seen vinyl flooring used - the spongy sort - but not entirely convinced this is 'right'.

Thread: windoze 10
01/10/2019 22:14:24

RMA - I use Doublekiller to get rid of duplicate files. There's a free version or a paid-for Pro version with a few more features. It can be a bit daunting if you are not computer-savvy, but approach it slowly and methodically and you should be OK. You can run it from a memory stick as it does not need to be installed on your PC.

You can find it here.

Another option is CCleaner, which has a duplicate detection tool, but it is nowhere near as powerful as Doublekiller.

29/09/2019 00:41:32

I think the message would have indicated that support for a particular build of Windows 10 is coming to an end and that you should install the next release - still Windows 10, but a later version.

Thread: Unusual GPO hammer?
28/09/2019 19:19:45

So it's not a Generic Planishing Object, then?

Thread: Miitutoyo caliper error
25/09/2019 20:45:46

Just for reference, here is a link to their website, which states " Direct end user contact is encouraged on spares/repairs to enable prompt, cost effective service and communication. A dedicated customer support telephone team is always on hand for assistance, you can call them on 01264 353123. "

Thread: Black crackle spray paint
25/09/2019 20:38:24

Agreed, heat is essential. I have also had good results (but more for a speckled effect rather than wrinkled) by heating metal parts on top of a paraffin stove and then spraying lightly with an ordinary satin black acrylic aerosol. Remove them from the stove first, of course

Thread: Mini mill or handtools for this job (rectangle with slots)
03/09/2019 15:00:25

I may have got the wrong end of the stick, but I don't think the 'nuts' have to grip anything, aren't they more like dowel pins and just drop into the holes to provide a sideways stop?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Meridienne; London MES
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
cowbells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
TRANSWAVE Converters
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest