By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Grindstone Cowboy

Here is a list of all the postings Grindstone Cowboy has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Ropey Radio Reception?
07/05/2021 13:08:11
Posted by Dave Halford on 07/05/2021 11:07:26:
..... which on a good hot summer night could pull Caroline into Birmingham if only for a wobbly hour or so.

Ah, those were the days! devil

Rob

Thread: Rothenberger Super Fire 2 Torch
06/05/2021 20:54:42

Never disconnected the cylinder after use on mine, use whatever gas the local plumber's merchant have in stock - not Rothenberger, never had any issues.

Rob

Thread: MT end mills slightly corroded
05/05/2021 08:35:48

I find the stainless steel pan scourers to be very effective, not as messy as wire wool For example, these.

Links to https://www.diy.com/departments/stainless-steel-scourer-pack-of-4/3663602564775_BQ.prd

Rob

Thread: Triumph Watchmaker's Lathe
03/05/2021 00:14:19

Thanks Brian - I never thought to look at lathes.co.uk. It certainly seems to be a variation on those shown. I'll get to see it "in person" in a few weeks, so I'll do a detailed comparison then.

Rob

02/05/2021 21:44:48

Hi folks

A friend has sent me these photos of a watchmaker's lathe he was given many years ago and was wondering if I could tell him anything about it.

As I know very little about watchmaker's lathes, I thought I'd ask here, as I'm sure someone will be able to give chapter and verse on the history, usage and so on for this rather old looking machine.

Thanks, Rob

img_3922.jpg

img_3923.jpg

img_3924.jpg

img_3925.jpg

img_3926.jpg

Thread: Interesting old chisels
02/05/2021 15:35:35

To speed up the rotting of the stump (unless you are keeping it as a flowerbed), bore plenty of holes in it of a decent size - 1 inch or larger - and fill them with a strong saltpetre solution.

No saltpetre? Pop round to your local bishop with a bucket

Rob

Thread: Gemini Alarm Key Fob Battery
01/05/2021 21:43:30

I thought that at first, but I think it's supposed to indicate separation rather than direction. But Emgee could try it and report back. I'm still 80/20 in favour of it simply clipping together.

Rob

Thread: Motor for ML7
01/05/2021 18:55:33

Well that was reminiscent of another thread - having taken the motor off the lathe a couple of months ago so I could strip and repaint the lathe, it took me twenty minutes to find it again! Anyway, here are some photos of the modified guard and the Clarke motor.

img_3949.jpg

img_3948.jpg

img_3947.jpg

Looking at the price, not sure how long ago that motor was fitted!

Rob

Thread: Gemini Alarm Key Fob Battery
01/05/2021 18:34:56

Didn't take too long to find this, which seems to have the same remote. Not very explicit on how to separate, so I'd guess at just prising them apart, there's quite often a bit of a gap where the keyring part goes.

Links to https://www.gemini-alarm.de/Webshop/contents/de/953_AC2743UK-REV00_U-I_UK.pdf

Rob

Edit - highly unlikely there is a screw under the button rubbers

Edited By Grindstone Cowboy on 01/05/2021 18:35:43

Thread: Motor for ML7
01/05/2021 18:24:28

I have a ML7 that has had a Machine Mart motor fitted. I'll just go and see what model, it still has the sticker on it. Guard had been modified to fit it though (but not a major job and it still covers the rotating bits unless you go and stick your hand somewhere silly) and extra holes were drilled in the mounting plate, although I think it could have been made to fit the existing holes if whoever did it had tried a bit harder

Rob

Thread: What odd grease?
30/04/2021 19:23:20

Well, here's where it linked from - it's not the easiest site to try and find what you want, I must admit - can't find the "separate datasheet" for NLGI 00 they mention.

Links to https://thelubricantoracle.castrol.com/product/spheerol-epl-1/industrial/en-GB

Rob

30/04/2021 19:00:51

Don't know if this might help, it's the Castrol datasheet for Spheerol EPL1. They seem to be saying there are different NLGI grades within the Spheerol 1 range and you'd want NLGI 00 - or I may have mis-read it?

Links to https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/D847D1AA1AD247AA80257F240036A061/$File/BPXE-A5V8K7.pdf

Rob

Thread: Myford ML7 headstock belt length
30/04/2021 16:52:53

Happy to report the AX23 fits nicely. Locknuts are on the "uphill" side, but I think that's the normal position. I see what Hopper means though, but I've not gone for guitar string tightness so hopefully all will be well. Also, a longer belt may cause the pulley to foul the guard.

Roughly measuring around the outside with a piece of string (didn't think to do it before I fitted it) give just over 25 inches, which surprises me, but then again, most things do these days.

Thanks for all the advice.

Rob

Thread: Portable vice - buying advice sought
28/04/2021 19:23:03

Those blue Draper soft vice jaws... recently bought a pair and sorry to say they are pretty poor. The soft plastic is too soft for anything I've tried to do with them. Considering removing the plastic and replacing with some red fibre (if I could find any of a decent thickness), as I have an old pair of fibre-faced ones that (despite one having lost its fibre) work really well and will hold screws, etc. firmly but without marring them.

Rob

P.S. I'd not bother about the anvil, pretty useless and if you hit it hard, could be expensive.

Edited By Grindstone Cowboy on 28/04/2021 19:25:49

Thread: Myford ML7 headstock belt length
28/04/2021 19:16:27

On John's advice , I've just ordered an AX23 from Simply Bearings. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks for the help.

Rob

28/04/2021 18:10:19

Thanks Alan, it just seems that would be extremely tight, but I'll go and measure again.

Rob

28/04/2021 16:49:14

Quick question - looking to replace the drive belt on a ML7 that runs from the countershaft to the headstock spindle. The one that's on it (although in horrible condition) measures 24.5 " around the outside, but I see on the Myford website that they sell a 23 inch belt for this application, but don't state if this is an internal, external or somewhere between the two size.

Having done a bit of measuring around the pulleys with some electrical flex, I don't see how 23 inches would possibly be long enough unless the adjusters are screwed right in and the 23 inches is measured around the internal surface of the belt. Even then I think it would be tight.

Has anyone replaced one of these recently, and if so, what belt size did you use? Probably going to buy from Simply Bearings as they are considerably cheaper than Myford.

Thanks,

Rob

Thread: Which type/brand of razor blades stay sharp longest? (cutting card/greyboard)
27/04/2021 18:54:24

Slightly off-topic, but I was cutting some industrial flooring vinyl the other day which had tiny particles of grit embedded in the top surface to make it non-slip. Could do about two or three feet of cut with a fresh Stanly knife blade before having to re-sharpen it. The professionals must have a better way?

Rob

Thread: Hare Hydraulic Press, anyone?
27/04/2021 17:54:56

I'm probably missing something here, but to me a hydraulic press is something that works slowly but with great force, whereas I imagine you want something more like a power hammer? Apologies if I'm wrong.

Rob

Thread: Eueka! - Has music been redefined?
27/04/2021 17:45:28

It's apparently a big thing, a YouTuber my daughter watches (video games) was hit with more than 200 infringement notices overnight, each of which he had to deal with individually. This was despite his having written permission from the composer/artist to use their work.

Rob

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
JD Metals
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest