By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nigel Brown 7

Here is a list of all the postings Nigel Brown 7 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Tom Senior Major milling machine ... gib or jib .. adjusting
29/09/2018 12:16:32

Journeyman.

Interesting ... all the more puzzling then that Tom Senior manual has BOTH !

On the Knee Assembly page it has "gib".

On the Compound Table description it says "jib". Looks like it was an uncorrected typo.

Mick. Ha Ha. But surely the commentator would have spelt it "jib" ? wink

All a bit confusing ... ( I wonder what the mercans would call it ...)

Edited By Nigel Brown 7 on 29/09/2018 12:17:20

Edited By Nigel Brown 7 on 29/09/2018 12:20:57

29/09/2018 11:22:33

Thought I knew the answer ...

Most people spell it as "gib" but the Tom Senior manual has "jib" [which I always thought was on a yacht ...] .

More to the point - I've just had the table and Vees reground and refitted it.

Any advice on adjusting gibs (or jibs) ?

Thread: Tom Senior suds pump
03/03/2018 17:04:22

Sorry for very late reply.

Might well try that.

Thanks

Thread: Large lathe for sale
03/03/2018 16:59:00

I think it will be big enough ...

"Maximum Workpiece Weight 350000kg."

Thread: Barometer help please
03/03/2018 16:43:08

Just fixed a very similar barometer (in time to measure changes in recent weather ...) given to me as "dead".

Needle had become loose on shaft. It was just a tiny brass tube pinched up so it went tight on the pin.

PO had tried 'adjusting' erratic mechanism to the limit of travel so the internal mechanism was jammed fully over one way - then the adjusting screw thread had become rusty and stuck.

Freed off adjuster (WD40).

Centralised mechanism. Reassembled.

Repinched needle and refitted at roughly correct reading as per another barometer.

Will accurately set millibars when pressure is stable over UK.

Thread: 1935 Austin Seven Ruby ARQ
03/03/2018 16:28:23

Howard earlier mentioned "Bowdenex" front brake conversion that took advantage of the axle twisting instead of allowing the twist to let the brakes off ..

Made me recall having fitted "Bowdenex" to my fairly well used 1937 one-owner Ruby saloon ( an expensive car at £15 back then !).

A panic stop one day [when a car pulled out without looking] resulted in both Ruby front wheels locking up so could be said to 'work'.

Just retrieved the broken A7 crank section from an old shed - another story for another day.

Thread: Tom Senior belts.
25/02/2018 23:27:35

Refurbishing a TS Major milling machine.

Found an older post that stated "motor belt A37".

BUT the one on mine was longer.

Measured at 57inches ID. Bought an A57 and it fits perfectly.

Gearbox belt was 780mm long.

Edited By Nigel Brown 7 on 25/02/2018 23:28:51

Thread: Another Tom Senior problem
10/02/2018 22:42:41

Solved !

Stripped down and removed table leadscrew/bushings/wormgear/table driveshaft.

Also removed gearbox cover to check internals.

'Knock-off dog' stuck very firmly because wear on the leadscrew (lefthand edge of Acme thread - mainly in the centre section) had led to a very slight raised burr. Because the dog to leadscrew clearance was minute, this was enough to jam the dog on the 'ridge'.

Eased the dog free with a copper hammer.

Dressed the burr off with a fine file and garnet paper, washed thread off with petrol, re-oiled, and now sliding perfectly.

Just as well this was needed because there was filth in the oil reservoir and in the gearbox ...

And the grubscrew for the driveshaft bush had worked loose.

Edited By Nigel Brown 7 on 10/02/2018 22:44:18

Edited By Nigel Brown 7 on 10/02/2018 22:45:44

10/02/2018 22:29:40

Paul.

Good to hear I won't have to sort and post a pic. !

By coincidence a 'rebuildable' TS pump has just been put on fleabay with pics.

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
09/02/2018 11:44:29
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 09/02/2018 10:17:38:

I see what you mean, Murray !

Hopefully the site is 'a work in progress'

MichaelG.

**LINK**

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 09/02/2018 10:18:09

cool Almost as comprehensible as some Chinese 'translations' ?

Thread: delivery
08/02/2018 23:33:30

The "difference" is really about the service provided by some couriers ?

There are good couriers - but NOT all.

UPS dropped an admittedly fairly heavy item on concrete (to judge by the pattern of damage) then delivered it quietly with no comment.

MyHermes , who are cheap, work extremely well locally because the van driver is diligent.

DHL took just 2 days to get an aero instrument from Guam (in the Pacific) to Shropshire.

Parcelfarce I ignore ever since they took a signature from a stranger who then walked off with a box of books worth £100+ sent by my previous employer. Parcelfarce could do nothing.

Thread: Another Tom Senior problem
08/02/2018 23:19:25

More seriously I have today found the 'knock-off/clutch dog' is at present stuck/seized solid on the table leadscrew ...

No rust - in fact quite oily.

Have removed the 2 tiny 1/8" Whit. (thought at first they were 5BA) CS screws and key (in case it had swarf jammed underneath) but still nothing moving. Another job on the list.

Explains why the knock-off lever had been hit with a spanner a fair few times and bent - and probably why the black knob was missing/shattered ?

Edited By Nigel Brown 7 on 08/02/2018 23:20:53

08/02/2018 23:16:03

Probably not fast enough ?

Just found in the parts list >> "185 Spring for above"

"Above" being "184 Rotor blades".

Edited By Nigel Brown 7 on 08/02/2018 23:16:54

07/02/2018 23:48:26

Norman. I am 100% certain it WILL be a dirty job - probably has never been done.face 11

Howard. Being a bit of a hoarder I already have some old Schrader valves/caps etc. ( I moved the tub today) ... but I noticed there are no 'indents' on the back face of the vanes so what would locate the spring or springs ? Blocks of plastic possibly ? - Indentation for handwheel grubscrew is 'on the list' !

Paul. I can take a picture - but whether I can post it successfully is another matter! I'll have a go.

I read somewhere that cheap (almost certainly Chinese) pond pumps will work as suds pumps.

I also have a couple of spare BMW washer bottle pumps so might try one of those.

Was thinking about rigging one up for my Cardiff/Elliott lathe.

Edited By Nigel Brown 7 on 07/02/2018 23:48:48

Edited By Nigel Brown 7 on 07/02/2018 23:50:55

Edited By Nigel Brown 7 on 07/02/2018 23:51:46

06/02/2018 22:30:24

Thanks again Mick.

I'm itching to access my suds tank (sad!) and as well as cleaning it out, I wonder if I might find either the 'missing' grubscrew from the cone pulley oiler tube or the 'missing' head off the locking pin for the gear selector ?

They are both AWOL.

I'm slowly learning how TS put them together.

And learning that using "grubscrew location/locking" fails when attacked by gorillas. face 19

Both the l/h handwheel and the 'lockstop lever' have been strained and moved around their shafts.

Thread: What did you do Today 2018
06/02/2018 11:42:49
Posted by Joseph Noci 1 on 06/02/2018 06:02:40:

Don't think this has been mentioned - pardon if it has -

Go look at your 300mm long trusty hacksaw blade - see how it classifies the number of teeth...

Even the European blades come marked 300mm xxTPI.

Joe

Reminds of the mate who worked on Concorde parts at Filton.

He swore blind that he had seen a drawing that said a required size was "52mm +- 3 thou."

06/02/2018 11:32:53

Dismantled mine. (I have read that the whole TS suds system is less than perfect ...)

Found a PO had left out the 'spring' that I assume exerted slight pressure on the two vanes.

They had removed all the piping, tap, etc. but left the belt on the pump!

Can anyone tell me what the spring is/was,dimensions, so that I might replace it ?

Thanks.

Edited By Nigel Brown 7 on 06/02/2018 11:36:03

Edited By Nigel Brown 7 on 06/02/2018 11:36:58

Thread: Tom Senior newcomer ...
05/02/2018 23:30:41

Success!

Removed the table today. Removed the 4 end bolts. Removed the left handwheel and its inner sleeve** on shaft.

Probably not necessary - but it did enable me to look under the length of the table and see that nothing else needed removal. Table was still quite stiff to slide so loosened all the gib locknuts/screws.

Got it moving with a weighty copper hammer. And GT spray.

Slid out (heavy !) table.

Discovered why the lever controlling drive was 'bruised', slightly bent, minus knob (all the result of abuse) - and well stuck.

The brass/bronze (?) block that operates in the slot of the sliding dog was sufficiently worn to be tipping on its side and jamming. Job 2 to do.

[Job 1 being getting the table surface ground.]

Job 3 being sort out an inverter (1 of 2), wiring change to Delta then test the old Brook dual voltage 3-phase motor.

** Inner sleeve was awkward/very tight - because the grub screw had raised a lump on the shaft. Got it off and then very easy to dress the shaft with a fine file and emery cloth.

Edited By Nigel Brown 7 on 05/02/2018 23:32:27

Edited By Nigel Brown 7 on 05/02/2018 23:34:27

Edited By Nigel Brown 7 on 05/02/2018 23:35:37

04/02/2018 22:59:16

Excuse the incorrect word "bed" - I now know it as a "table".

No clues yet ... is it just a case of removing two bolts (that hold the handwheel brackets) at each end then sliding table out from gibs/tapers ?

Edited By Nigel Brown 7 on 04/02/2018 23:00:10

03/02/2018 20:51:19

I think buying the "Digitally remastered" copy might well have been a waste of money.

There is a free downloadable PDF on the Denford site ...

http://www.denfordata.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2070&hilit=senior+manual

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
JD Metals
walker midge
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
cowells
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest