By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Paton 1

Here is a list of all the postings John Paton 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Co2 emissions.. Steam or diesel best?
10/01/2020 21:35:32

The issue is 'net CO2'. Biomass recycles 'current' CO2, if I can put it that way. Fossil fuels release carbon accumulated over hundreds of millions of year giving an unnatural peak in CO2 due to the extreme rate of use.

Reforesting parts of the UK historically covered in deciduous woodland and harvesting it with larger timbers used for construction, furniture and fuel (locally to production, in log sections not pellets), putting trees back into hedgerows and stopping cutting them down without replanting, letting heathland, moorland and low grade agricultural land regenerate to woodland where that was their history will all help restore the balance. Trees, especially coppiced woodland, strip CO2 at a tremendous rate and provide other benefits in terms of moderating air temperature and the rate of rainwater run-off.

Sadly in much of the UK and other countries the number of trees continues to reduce.

This alone will not provide for our energy demands so other initiatives will be required, but I do wonder if putting photo voltaic panels on agricutural land is the right answer, the roofs of schools, barns, industrial buildings and similar large buildings seems more sustainable to my mind.

Thread: Ebay being clogged up by certain sellers
06/01/2020 22:40:07
Posted by Tony Pratt 1 on 06/01/2020 21:17:38:

Jason B is correct ref the USA, as for the Chinese they are quite creative with item values so I haven't been charged import duty, collection fee, VAT & any other tax they can think up,as yet.

Tony

Yes it's a disgrace. It feels as bad a buying fake or stolen goods. I also hate buying an item apparently from a U.K. supplier whose advert is emblazoned with a Union Jack, only to find it is nothing of the kind.

£1.35 to send a letter from UK to Ireland, £1 to send 10kg package from China to U.K (presumably air freight given the speed of delivery)

who is the one laughing?

Thread: Emergencies / Braking
31/12/2019 16:03:23

Martin's, thanks for a very clear reply.

On the electromagnetic brake option, am I rigth in thinking that is not compatible with VFD inverters? Certainly I removed mine when changing my VSL to VFD and intend to add a brake resistor if needing to reduce run down time (VSL has L00 chuck mount so no unscrewing problems).

Thread: MR16 LED Spot lights
19/12/2019 14:06:51

The other risk is cracking of cable insulation where the lamp arm articulates, combined with flying cutting fluid.

In theory the earth will cope with this but I would not entrust my life to earth continuity. With a dry floor and rubber soles shoes you might only get a belt but still best to avoid playing roulette when you are only part way through a project.

Thread: Outdoor notice board
18/12/2019 20:26:57

Some more ideas:

For a cheap and cheerful frame frame see if you can get an offcut of the fibreglass covered ply as used for lorry and trailer bodies, then frame with aluminium and have a Perspex 'window'.

People who build covered trailers or repair lorry bodies often chuck away good sized bits of this laminated board.

This option wont be the prettiest but will hold up well if you seal the cut edges of the board with resin or two pack polyurethane paint and set the aluminium on silicone mastic.

For a smarter 'heavy duty' frame I would go for Cedar or Teak which is durable even when not painted so stands up well even if maintenance is neglected.

You may also need to consider the need for planning consent if the board is much bigger than A3. Some areas /planners are hot on this.

Cork tiles are great for pinning to and are naturally durable.

Thread: Health Risks with Filament Printing
18/12/2019 19:57:17

HSE today issued a bulletin which includes advice regarding carcinogens associated with welding and similar risks associated with filament 3D printing.

Whilst most modellers will spend rather less time exposed to 3D printing than someone employed to do printing, it strikes me that many pursue their hobby in small, poorly ventilated 'dens'.

This being so you might like to follow this link so that you can make your own judgement of risks and any need for improved ventilation.

https://www.hse.gov.uk/index.htm?utm_source=govdelivery&utm_medium=email

Thread: Long bed lathes affected by the tide
05/12/2019 17:23:34

When I worked in Essex our surveyors were working on the Fre Station site in Tilbury and having difficulty 'closing' the survey to the local datum anything like the required accuracy.

After some investigation they found that the land was rising and falling appreciably with the tide. I am sorry that I cannot recall the actual amounts but I seem to recall that it was afactor closer to inches than thous.

Thread: More evidence that the world has gone mad!
03/12/2019 12:59:29
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 03/12/2019 11:23:03:

Older nerds like me fondly remember the Commodore PET, an early USA home computer sold in huge numbers worldwide. At the time most people distrusted computers, and many were terrified. So Commodore carefully chose the name because, in English, 'pet' is an exceptionally cuddly acceptable word. Who wouldn't want a pet?

Alas, they didn't think outside the box. Unfortunately for European sales, pet in French means 'fart'

Keeping it clean is surprisingly difficult. In his poke at 'endorsement', Brian uses the word 'protective'. I'm shocked! Poor old ebay have a desperate need to stop customers posting obscenities. The software they're using is thorough rather than mad. Wonder if it would reject saltwater, weep, teaspoon or rehearse?

smiley

haha - didn’t know that.

makes you think about pet dogs ( especially elderly boxers?)

but more particularly the term heavy petting!

Dave

03/12/2019 12:59:29
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 03/12/2019 11:23:03:

Older nerds like me fondly remember the Commodore PET, an early USA home computer sold in huge numbers worldwide. At the time most people distrusted computers, and many were terrified. So Commodore carefully chose the name because, in English, 'pet' is an exceptionally cuddly acceptable word. Who wouldn't want a pet?

Alas, they didn't think outside the box. Unfortunately for European sales, pet in French means 'fart'

Keeping it clean is surprisingly difficult. In his poke at 'endorsement', Brian uses the word 'protective'. I'm shocked! Poor old ebay have a desperate need to stop customers posting obscenities. The software they're using is thorough rather than mad. Wonder if it would reject saltwater, weep, teaspoon or rehearse?

smiley

haha - didn’t know that.

makes you think about pet dogs ( especially elderly boxers?)

but more particularly the term heavy petting!

Dave

Thread: Lathe annoying 50Hz hum
02/12/2019 09:48:11
Posted by not done it yet on 02/12/2019 09:04:21:
Posted by John Paton 1 on 01/12/2019 22:28:47:

William, +1 for experiencing hum from a motor. I once had a 1.5hp 2850rpm motor on my Centec mill, the hum was so bad that I adopted the habit of wearing ear defenders, despite resilient mounts, belt drive and 50mm sand in the cabinet base.

ithen fitted 2 hp 3 phase motor fed by an inverter and it is whisper silent.

I have always suspected that the original motor had loose windings or delamination of the rotor.

either way it was absolutely the motor was humming and particularly loud. The motor did not run hot either which always surprised me.

The Origin of the vibration does not need to be particularly strong - a slight amount can be amplified at any resonant frequency. Even higher orders will add to that lower resonant frequency.

The Centec bases were renowned for that problem with any single phase motor. Raglan lathes also suffered from vibrations at slow speed, if fitted with single phase motors. There are numerous (attempted) reported solutions to both these specific machines, none of which completely removed the problem - apart from fitting a three phase motor.

Check out the Tacoma bridge failure. Resonance caused by a specific wind speed. 34 knots, IIRC.

NDIY that makes a lot of sense - there were definate hot spots and sweet spots around my workshop where the sound was loudest or quietest. I used to stand at one of the null points during machining whenever possible. I presume that the dimensions of my workshop and placing of the mill happened to aggravate the problem and create the perfect storm. Perhaps a bit surprising that this should be so in a pretty cluttered room.

Anyhow It turned me into a committedbeliever in VFDs and 3 phase motors!

Johm

01/12/2019 22:28:47

William, +1 for experiencing hum from a motor. I once had a 1.5hp 2850rpm motor on my Centec mill, the hum was so bad that I adopted the habit of wearing ear defenders, despite resilient mounts, belt drive and 50mm sand in the cabinet base.

ithen fitted 2 hp 3 phase motor fed by an inverter and it is whisper silent.

I have always suspected that the original motor had loose windings or delamination of the rotor.

either way it was absolutely the motor was humming and particularly loud. The motor did not run hot either which always surprised me.

Thread: Lathe chuck guards - how many folk use them?
29/11/2019 19:27:43
Posted by martin perman on 13/11/2019 17:30:09:
Posted by Martin Kyte on 13/11/2019 14:55:30:

Whatever you want to do in your own workshop and whatever you think of Health and Safety you cannot refute the fact that workplace injuries and deaths have reduced considerably over time. See Charts 5 to 7

**LINK**

regards Martin

Martin,

Interesting reading but it relates to industrial injuries, I would assume most of us me included are either semi or fully retired, apart from household management who would we report our injuries to, I conjecture when asked by a doctor/nurse we would tell a little white lie to hide our embarrassment/stupidity wink

Martin P

We have a large wood locally which is a great favourite with serious mountain bikers. Our A&E unit commented recently the huge number of wrist and collar bone injuries that occur in the car park at the roadside. 'Its how you tell the story!" (they would never admit to riding recklessly and accept the risks so do not fit air bags)

Thread: LPG heater- fumes
28/11/2019 18:20:36

I can add that I had experience (professionally) of excessively high Aldehyde concentrations with a gas 'direct fired' space heater in a large public swimming pool. When investigating this I discovered that carbon monoxide is produced under the same conditions that create aldehydes, indeed this is an algorithm used when testing natural gas fired cookers.

Aldehydes cause watering eyes and headaches so are a better warning than you get with carbon monoxide. If you are sensitive to them you will find them in the outlet of most gas burning devices.

As others have said the primary cause is lack of sufficient oxygen but this can also be due to poor set up of the burner (which was the cause of the swimming pool problem) but we also found that (in the humidity and chemically charged) atmosphere of an indoor swimming pool there appeared to be some 'ponding' of combustion gases in certain parts of the room.

Be aware!

Thread: Heavy Duty Castors
27/11/2019 22:09:33
Posted by martin perman on 27/11/2019 18:09:41:

john,

A quick search found a cast iron furniture castor capable of 113kg for £19.00 ea

martin p

Thanks Martin, yes I think I found those but don't look as robust as the others.

Perhaps I should have said I have done a fair search on Google, Bing, Fleabay, Amazon, Alibaba and contacted the suppliers of wheel dollies having similar castors - but cannot find a 'source supplier' of the castors or get replacements as spares for less than the whole dolly (noted your comment Ian)

Thanks Bayzle - Ill try that angle

27/11/2019 16:34:14

I am looking to buy two (or maybe four if the price is right) heavy duty castors.

They need to have 75mm dia iron or steel wheel and preferably be of the type with a rectangular fixing plate with a lug at either end and a central stud for fixing.

The type I am after is as the ones used on several makes of car wheel dollies.

The dollies sell for as little as £20 each so hopfully the wheels should not be mor ethan a fiver each.

Try as I may I hav been unable to find a supplier of these castors, only ones wirth rubber or plastic wheels/tyres or a very low strength (furniture grade) iron wheel. An old or damaged wheel dolly would do if it had half decent castors on.

Any ideas on where to source them?

John

Thread: S50 cylinder issue?
10/11/2019 23:02:14

Just to add a 'well done' on the photo front Lainchy. It couldn't be easy to get that blowhole to show on a photo - you must have been careful and or clever with the lighting!!

Thread: How to repair old King Dick socket extension?
27/09/2019 21:39:49
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 27/09/2019 20:50:57:

Guaranteed for life ?? My Elora set is.

I have often wondered with these guarantees how one defines the life of, say, a spanner. There is a medical definition of life for a human, but maybe no equivalent for a spanner?

If it fails to function for the designed purpose can its life be said to be over?

However I sought to buy spare parts for an aged Blue Point torque wrench and was pleasantly surprised when the required bits came back FOC! Easy repair and that tool is now excellent. I don't know if King Dick offer the same guarantee or adopt such a generous interpretation of the word 'life'..

Thread: Caravan Insurance
22/09/2019 22:27:19
Posted by Peter G. Shaw on 22/09/2019 20:29:45:

Dave/SOD,

Please note: I am NOT proposing abandoning Third Party protection - merely the other stuff, eg fire, theft, damage etc as I can easily afford to pay for it myself.

Alan,

The full story is this:

Yes, new caravan which automatically includes the tracker system. However, to activate the system requires an annual subscription of £95. (Actually, I took out the 3 year cover for £285.) The insurer, which as I have already said was more or less the default one from the C&CC club because I was too lazy to try elsewhere, did indeed allow a reduction becasue the tracker system was activated.

The caravan is normally stored inside an old barn, or possibly a cowshed. Access into it is by means of a personnel gate comprising a set of heavy steel bars welded together. To remove the caravan one has to walk to the other end of the barn and undo another set of gates, again heavy steel bars welded together. Both gates are secured by locks. On top of that, the barn is located deep in the depths of an old quarry, along an access track past the landowner's house. Finally, most of the time, the landowner's locked up tractor and trailer are parked in front of the caravan. Indeed, standing instructions are that whever we want to remove/replace the caravan, we have to give the landowner 2/3 days notice so that he can ensure access/egress is clear. It is my personal belief that this location is about as secure against theft as it is possible to be. Malicious damage, though, is another thing, even though any possible vandals would need to get on site whilst carrying a petrol powered disc cutter of some sort.

Maurice,

Yes, I quite agree, it may be cheap, relatively. However, over the 40 years of caravanning, I have made a total of four claims - two for windows being accidently broken, and two for corner damage done whilst manoevring in confined spaces. Possible total of £1.2K to £1.5K . I haven't bothered working out the premiums paid over those 40 years, but I'm darned sure it's a lot more than that. Also, the last claim was at least 10 years ago.

The point is, Maurice, I'm in my mid-70's with money in the bank, and all I can see for the future is theft by the state when I die, or even before that depending on the political party in power, or theft by various parties, eg insurance companies, care homes etc. I do have children, but still foresee difficulties in passing it on, hence I'm loth to fork out good money, for something that I can cover myself - if needed. And that is the important point - if needed.

-----------------------------------------------------------

There are other points which so far I haven't mentioned. The tracking system is only of use if the caravan is stolen and the monitoring people advised, and hence the Police. This means that whilst in storage as outlined above, I may not see the caravan for a few months through the winter, but I do consider this to be acceptable considering the storage location. Therefore, the only real use for the tracker is when on site, and hence theft would be detected within a few hours at most.

Another point is that although it was January when I was advised of the problem, I decided to leave it until late March/April when the caravan has its annual service. It is actually 59 miles from my house to the nearest authorised dealer. So, in due course, the caravan went in for service/repairs and whilst it was in, I received a call from the tracker manufacturer stating that they had discovered that the system as fitted to certain caravans did not work correctly, hence they were being recalled for rectification. So, there we were, being penalised by the insurer because the tracker manufacturer had produced some duff equipment. And that led, in turn to my original thoughts about self-insuring for everything EXCEPT Third Party risks. Hence my original question.

Incidently, the same thing could also apply to the car. My car cost £19K, so if it was readily available (actually it is no longer made, but that's by-the by), I could just go out and buy a replacement. But that still leaves the problem of Third Party claims.

Now I know that what I'm saying is somewhat radical, since we have all been brainwashed into buying expensive Comprehensive insurance, but really, do we actually need Comprehensive insurance if we can afford to self-insure? Perhaps ThirdParty insurance might well be satisfactory, and would certainly stop all these problems one hears about caused by insurance companies looking after themselves at our expense.

Peter G. Shaw

We had our campervan insured through C&CC but the premium unexpectedly rose by £1000 (about x4) following a daytime break in and theft from our campervan while in France.

At that rate the insurers would have recovered the amount of our claim within 2.5 years had we stayed with C&CC.

We changed insurers and ended up paying £30 a year less than the original C&CC premium so all was not lost, but had this not been the case we would have been better to self insure the burglary risk.

John

Thread: Disposal of workshop contents
03/09/2019 23:03:48

A properly organised and advertised auction 'on the premises' certainly produces results if there are sufficient interesting items to attract 'end user' bidders rather than dealers - I have seen well used items fetch more than they can be bought for (trade) new and have come back from several auctions empty handed as the prices were so high.

Conversely the items can fetch next to nothing in an inappropriate local auction. A couple of years back a friend and I were the only bidders at one such and each picked up really high quality grinders ( a woodworking whetstone and a tool and cutter grinder) each for a maiden bid of fiver and each worth nearer £200. I was waiting for a second bid on the tool and cutter grinder but it never came. Both worked without fault.

Thread: Garden shed find
20/08/2019 13:18:23

Don't panic if the taper is u/s as I am pretty sure I have a spare spindle for that model!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Ausee.com.au
Warco
ChesterUK
Allendale Electronics
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest