By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Paton 1

Here is a list of all the postings John Paton 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: TurboCAD Layers & Dimensions - Help Please
17/10/2020 09:06:05

Ian T - well done you and nicely explained. I gave up trying to teach myself AutoCaD and spent two years of evening classes at the local college. Learned a huge amount and really enjoyed it. We spent hours working slowly through the basics and this was a vital discipline for me as I usually try to run before I can crawl and learn very bad habits as a result.

As a building surveyor often designing components as well as larger building works projects this was invaluable and such a smug feeling when sending your design to a fabricator who says 'yes I can Cnc machine that straight from your design' (laser cut stainless sheet,laser cut holes, folded to shape and joints machine welded. Very economic price for a run of 10 and unbelievable finished quality and accuracy.)

My primary learning was to totally change my survey methodology from that I had been trained to use, now needing to work with coordinates rather than vectors.

After that get to grips with model space and paper space ( not so intuitive but vital for setting scales and getting print out to scale)

Then the use of layers much as you describe but in architecture so useful for assemblies of components from different designs and suppliers.

I try to minimise the number of layers where I can as they can rapidly get out of control.

As you say the first layer is for setting out and so called 'construction lines' using colours so they can be identified for having that function. So useful for setting snap points such as the meeting points of adjoining curves with direct relevance for Cnc milling/routing

One layer for importing sub assemblies is good and certainly different layers for separate assemblies or machining operations would make sense.

I am just about to move away from AutoCaD (cost now I am retired) and start 3D modelling and machining using budget software. If there was a local college course I would use it, but that cupboard is bare so hope I can find some fellow enthusiasts locally so we can help each other.

I find a big aspect of the learning is how each individual persons mind works - cad probably suits a 'mathematical / black and white'mindset better than an artistic one and I should love to see how work produced on computer animation type models migrates to 3D printed objects.

Reworking scanned objects through rastered model forms and 'brushwork' modifications using say a tablet or touchscreen looks fun but may be alien to the engineers desire for micron accuracy.

All fascinating stuff and as is usual I am sure we have members who can help guide through all of this! There are talented stars on this forum, as well as highly trained and experienced individuals.

Thread: Hello - coming out of the shadows!
28/09/2020 16:33:19

+1 for Mdro and also Easson. Both have been very good for me. I actually prefer the magnetic readers to the optical ones though as they are rather more tidy - being more compact, they are also slightly less critical as regards installation tolerances. You can keep down costs by using optical where there is plenty of room.

Thread: Customs payment is it a scam
22/09/2020 10:29:05

Thanks for raising this David - it helps alert us all to such low life attempts to defraud (including the Chinese evasion of customs Duty which it would appear is rife!!)

Thread: varifocals
31/08/2020 21:15:32

I have a special pair of varifocals that have larger area dedicated to the two ‘closer focus’ filters and a very narrow band of long range.

useless for driving but excellent for careful workshop use and also for working my on the computer. I think they referred to them as task lenses or something to that effect.

31/08/2020 21:15:31

I have a special pair of varifocals that have larger area dedicated to the two ‘closer focus’ filters and a very narrow band of long range.

useless for driving but excellent for careful workshop use and also for working my on the computer. I think they referred to them as task lenses or something to that effect.

Thread: Electronics for the Cognoscenti
30/08/2020 22:38:17

It could prove an excellent investment should we experience another wave of Covid and renewed panic buying ( given the specification of the paper used - hopefully many sheets)

Thread: Elliot 10m shaper weight
13/08/2020 15:06:42

I had a 10M some years ago and transported it in a small car trailer.

I can confirm what Brian says about 'top heavy'. I had to strap it down very firmly. Thereafter making sure the tyres were inflated to 45PSI and taking great care over uneven ground and round bends.

Definately not a load to take liberties with.

I eventually sold my 10M as Id dint seem to use it very often.

My main use was preparing iron castings and removal of large chunks of metal before finishing with my (small) mill.

As commeted above the simplicity and easy of sharpening tool bits was its greatest asset for me.

Clamping could be a challenge as if the work can move it will.

Thread: Cleaning emergency !
04/08/2020 21:24:19

We have loose laid rubber backed washable carpet in our van and it works really well, even when we have the dogs with us. It can be taken out and scrubbed if necessary and is kind under foot. I turned yew plugs to fit the table leg sockets so that they finish level with the 'depressed' pile of the carpet.

The carpet is what is used for commercial venues and old folks homes where unfortunate accidents happen with regularity.

The sheet vinyl flooring remains below to help prevent spillages getting into the floor timbers.

Edited By John Paton 1 on 04/08/2020 21:25:35

Edited By John Paton 1 on 04/08/2020 21:27:22

Thread: Hi All.
22/07/2020 20:41:59
Posted by Phil McAvity on 20/07/2020 16:01:29:

Just a quick introduction from a former 'lurker' having just registered on the forum.

I'm new to model engineering although it's always been of interest to me, I often regret not taking the engineering path as a career having chosen the Army and Fire Service instead. I've always been interested in automobile mechanics with a sporadic sortie into the arena over the years and have returned more recently to RC Model aircraft now that time, family and financial commitments are less than in past years.

I plan on purchasing a mini lathe after realistically thinking about my needs and doing some research including online resources and reading the Nieil Wyatt book which led me to here.

Anyway, I doubt this will be my only post as I have too much to learn which even the magic of YouTube cannot fully explain!

Hi Phil, I seem to recall your namesake and another Scotsman Ben Doon featuring in Rag Mags back in the early 70s. Doubt you will see such publications ever again as most of the content would now now be taboo. Did you eventually qualify as a dentist?

Thread: Sourcing Belzona Fluid Metal Materials
07/07/2020 17:02:26

Good grief I didn’t know they were still in business. I last used their products in about 1976 and haven’t heard their name since despite being in the same area of work ever since!

Thread: Storage of files
12/06/2020 11:58:09

When rearranging your storage how about a quick spray paint of the handles to remind you which ones 'for best and brass' so that you don't mash them up on hard materials or clog them with alloy.

Thread: Jumping in
11/06/2020 15:12:45

Have a look at Geo Thomas book 'The Model engineers Workshop Manual' which has some excellent, well designed and very useful accessories in. He also gives such clear instructions on their manufacture that they serve as great beginner exercises too.

Thread: Damp proofing floor
11/06/2020 14:57:14

And watch out also for moisture coming up at the junction of the slab and the wall. Once you seal the top of the slab the concrete will end up being wetter than before so the moistire will tray and escape around the edges.

At best this will be a narrow band of damp but if the top of the floor slab is above the damp proof course in the wall the moisture can track across and migrate up the wall. Ideally the DPM on the floor should connect to the DPC in the wall. If it is at the same level as the floor surface then consider grinding a bit of a chase between the two , blow out any dust with an airline, prime with special primer and fill the crack with polysulphide mastic or other slightly resilient compound with good adhesive and water resistant properties.

If rising damp in your wall does not concern you (typically a bit of a tide line up the wall often with salt crystals) then don't worry about this detail but if you want paint to hang onto the walls or if there is timber there you will be well advised to look at the interconnection. It is a common problem and as Russ correclty points out there is considerable hydrostatic pressure which builds up one the slab is no longer able to 'breathe' to release the moisture.

The the detail you are adopting the slab will tend to have less thermal insulation value too but that is a minor consideration. Also use chemical (resin) anchors and non ferrous / stainless fixings if bolting down machinery etc as the floor will be relatively wet below the 'paint'.

All 'doable' but not as straightforward or reliable as having the DPM below the slab.

Thread: Look what I Found
19/05/2020 23:13:09

The asbestos was called 'Rawlplastic' if I remember correctly.

Thread: Shocking
15/05/2020 23:04:39

Anthony, It sounds like you are in luck - viewing the leaflet on the link Dave posted it clearly says that (unlike other cheap items) you can send items back to Clipsal's local rep for replacement.

So now you just need to identify their local Rep. You might have to lob it over to them to ensure appropriate distancing.

Edited By John Paton 1 on 15/05/2020 23:19:22

Thread: Sharpening Files
14/05/2020 15:57:41

Interesting stuff re 'sharpening'. Electrolytic with washing soda sounds worth a try as would be handy for controlled de-rusting of car parts too.

Re declogging files, I will mention pushing the end of a flat strip of 12x1mm steel across the file along the grain. This quickly serrates the end of the strip of steel with a tooth form which cleans out the grooves in the file. I bit of paraffin or WD40 helps too.

Sorry to all those well aware of the technique but may be useful for those who dont, especially if they have just loaded their best file with ally or even lead!

Thread: Oilite (type) bush fitting
14/05/2020 12:13:44

Hi Nick,

Just checking that you also know not to lubricate, drill or ream the Oilite without careful reference to makers instructions? (it is very easy to clog / 'smear' the surface and prevent the lubricant coming through)

I learned the hard way some years back!

Thread: Sort of a Straw Poll
12/05/2020 21:16:38

The reality is that if you don't have a workshop to spend time in you will need to keep going on cruises to keep yourself amused. Travel insurance alone will cost more than your lathe and mill so its a no brainer!

I believe that well bought and looked after, lathes and mills are as good as gold for holding their value.

Edited By John Paton 1 on 12/05/2020 21:16:53

Thread: Knurling Tool for medium (Harrison M300) size lathe
12/05/2020 13:56:45

Scissor type can also operate on slender components which would otherwise flex under lateral pressure

Also handy are the 'multi knurl head' type tool where you simply spin the head round to select the knurl pattern you require (saves time changing the wheels over) but these are the plunge type rather than scissor so better suited to heavier work.

Thread: BBC2 Flogit 11 May 2020
12/05/2020 12:27:22

I saw the original programme a little while back and think I saw the same or similar engine subsequently for sale on fleabay. (the oversize handwheel and oversquare cylinders stuck in my memory)

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
EngineDIY
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest