By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for John Paton 1

Here is a list of all the postings John Paton 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Garden shed find
20/08/2019 13:18:23

Don't panic if the taper is u/s as I am pretty sure I have a spare spindle for that model!

Thread: What coating/grease for long term tool storage
20/08/2019 10:35:49

I find Ambersil Corrosion Inhibitor excellent. The Navy uses it so that is a pretty good endorsement.

It does not create as thick a film as many other products.

Thread: Bulking problem?
09/08/2019 19:32:59

Brian, that fees like a huge reductio in size to me and I do wonder if it will be possible without softening the horn first.

Could you just use a battery of Jubilee clips - if necessary they can be dipped into hot water along with the horn and by differential tightening you can adjust the fit.

I would clamp onto a suitable mandrel first and then transfer the horn to your stick once down to size.

Thread: What are these off
09/08/2019 10:26:05

I love the storage rack

With one like that you could have your lathe in the lounge!

Edited By John Paton 1 on 09/08/2019 10:27:40

Thread: Up and over door seal
30/07/2019 10:03:07

Given that most rain (and leaves) only comes in when wind driven, I pop rivetted brush pile draught excludr around the bottom and side inside edges of my garage doors. This accommodates uneven concrete surface and 'wobble' of the door within the frame better than rubber seals do. It is not 100% watertight but keeps dampness to within 50mm of the frame where it came in 300mm or more previously.

Thread: Surplus subjects learnt at school.
20/07/2019 01:10:39

I also ditched Latin and took up German instead.

It had been drummed into me that Agricola amat Puella ( the farmer loved the girl?) which wisely taught me not to leave my daughter unattended when on holiday in the Italian countryside. Not sure the towns were any safer in that regard, so maybe the problem has spread into the cities since the days of Caesar?

German has been of some value when visiting countries to the East of France where German rather than English tends to be their second language.

Thread: Electric Cars
11/07/2019 14:40:02

I'm thinking of converting my SUV to steam power burning a blend of shredded unsolicited mail, plastic food wrapping and rendered pig fat.

0-60 in 18 seconds and no need for a horn as they can smell your approach.

in fact there could still be a role for the Sentinal steam lorries. On the road they were fuel efficient , it was. The standing idle time that made them inefficient. Now they could be used to charge batteries when the vehicle is stationary.

J

Thread: Forging brass; how easy would it be?
10/07/2019 09:18:00

I can echo the words of others on this one after my experience in making car radiator top and bottom tanks from brass sheet.

I had done some google searches and read the books but even so the best advice came from a particularly skilled and experienced engineer who was aware of the pitfalls of the wrong grade of brass and the limitations of the home workshop. My first attempts were pitiful but with his advice I succeeded.

Beware overheating the brass , when it goes crystalline it is scrap.

I was shown to use soap rubbed onto the surface and heat until the soap turns brown.

My (sadly now deceased) friend's advice was to press or draw the material if possible as hammering work hardens it so quickly.

Do not be put off from having a go - actually trying it is part of the fun and adds to your knowledge and skills.

Posting your question here helps others like me to learn also.

I never cease to be amazed at the breadth and depth of skills and knowledge held by members and so generously shared with fellow enthusiasts.

Edited By John Paton 1 on 10/07/2019 09:19:35

Thread: Goodwood festival of Speed Coverage
05/07/2019 21:21:55

My personal favourite is Goodwood Revival, usually go for the tree days but its just Saturday this year due to family commitments.

The aircraft at Revival are great too and I love how unassuming a lot of the owners are when you walk through the paddocks at both FoS and Revival, despite having mega pounds invested in their cars!

Thread: Is this chuck too big/heavy?
29/06/2019 21:59:30

I have not done a comparison but imagine a large and heavier chuck will resonate less and therefore be less prone to chatter as long as the power train is adequate to power it up. Like a flywheel on an old treadle lathe!

That said I do like smaller chucks for turning small work pieces (and collets even more so).

Thread: Removing Broken Tap
28/06/2019 22:44:00

Thanks Ian J, appreciated but I am in Dorset so a kind offer that I cannot take you up on.

I ordered some apparently genuine Potassium Aluminium Sulphate today so will see how that goes.

I have been using a 'bain marie' arrangement to keep the solution hot but not boiling away. Hopefully using the correct variety of 'Alum' will bring results!

28/06/2019 12:56:41

Noted also your advice as being PAS / Potash!

28/06/2019 12:54:59

Thanks S.O.D, I suspect that is the problem. My 'alum' came from internet and the origin is stated India. I can well imagine it is the ammonium sulphate version.

I am having difficulty sourcing a trial size pack of potassium sulphate - local pharmacists just ask 'what is that'!

27/06/2019 22:47:01

I have just been trying the warm alum solution method of removing a broken tap from a piece of aluminium.

After 2 days I can see no sign whatsoever of any change in state of the tap. The tap has letters 04 CPB 4-4k and AFS marked on it. I wonder if the tap is of a type of material unaffected by Alum or if the Alum I bought was of the 'wrong type'. (Ammonium Sulphate or Potassium Sulphate, other versions of Alum maybe?)

Perhaps this method only works for carbon steel taps? Does anyone know for sure?

I should like to persevere with this recovery method but not waste time exploring blind alleys.

Thread: Satnav
24/06/2019 20:34:13

I opened this thread in the bizarre hope that someone had found a way to use satnav in place of a DRO!

Perhaps my stupidity will not look so daft in a year or two. I remember telling my neighbour (who had been enticing me to get into 'pre DOS ' computers) that I would get a computer when it spoke English. A very few years later and Windows was launched - and I got a computer straight away!

Thread: Historic Frogs
20/06/2019 11:16:36

Paul McCartney and the Finchley Frogettes - 'The Frog Chorus'

Thread: Tools or 'things' as therapy
18/06/2019 08:18:20

Oh no Henry, thats just weird and kinky! You risk backlash for encouraging people to put filthy, oily fingerprints on priceless domestic treasures. Door handles and light switches are one thing, but furniture ..noooooo!wink 2

17/06/2019 22:38:15

And it works for babies too.

When my son was just months old I would return home from work and be handed a screaming lad wrapped in his 'Babygrow' and shawl.

I found the best answer was to quickly get changed and take him out to the workshop. There I would do some turning on the Myford, making parts for my Stuart Turner 'Real' engine while supper was being prepared indoors.

I had to drape a muslin over his head to protect hime from stray swarf and splatters of cutting fluid. He fell silent literally within a minute or two. (but returned indoors later smelling of suds oil as much as I did!)

My wife could never understand how and why I could calm him down when she had failed.

I suspect it is genetic and yes, he chose engineering as a career!

Thread: sulphuric acid
16/06/2019 19:07:45

Not sure how we stray from Sulphuric acid to dog poo but people might be interested to note that farmers spray sulphuric acid on potatoes and peas (possibly also on oil seed rape?) to stop growth and dessicate the crop.

So given the quantities that they are dosing into the water table, the occasional bit of H2SO4, well diluted and sent down a rainwater gully must be trivial, especially if you live in an area with chalk or clay subsoil.

Oils , batteries and toxic chemical are another matter entirely as they do not neutralise and introduce extremely toxic substances into the food chain.

Thread: HELLO from south west.
07/06/2019 14:50:31

Chris - where in the SW are you ? (I am W Dorset)

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
TRANSWAVE Converters
ChesterUK
Meridienne Sept 2019
Eccentric Engineering
Ausee.com.au
Warco
Advertise With Us
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest