By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nick Clarke 3

Here is a list of all the postings Nick Clarke 3 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: LBSC 3 1/2 Britannia
07/02/2019 21:22:00
Posted by stephen goodbody on 25/06/2018 18:47:59:

Chances are that's been corrected on the Kennion drawings if so, but it would be wise to check the dimensions regardless and just in case.

Best regards

Steve

Don't bank on it - there are numerous examples of errors that are still in the drawings you buy - in fact correcting an error by changing a drawing might be seen as a breech of copyright - it was not how the original guy designed it etc etc.

More practically it might be dangerous for a supplier to change drawings on the word of a constructor without checking that it wasn't they that had made the errors.

My favourite error is a solid boiler stay that is threaded backwards into the backhead and at the same time forwards into the smokebox tubeplate. 1/4" diameter rod with 1/4 by 40 threads. Go install that!!

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 07/02/2019 21:25:25

Thread: Trends in Radio Ads
07/02/2019 20:40:42

Its a funny thing but although a sucker for most radio comedy (except Hancock - I don't know why) I cannot stand either waking up to talking or listening to talking in the car so Classic FM is the choice. However my brain seems to self protect and after a few hearings the Ads, while annoying to listen to at first, seem to me to become blanked out after a few listens - Sensory mediation I believe it is called.

Thread: Threading a bar for 6ba
07/02/2019 20:22:08

Posted by Ian Skeldon 2 on 07/02/2019 19:25:43:

Firstly my apologies is this post is considered to be hi-jacking the original thread (there's a pun in there somewhere).

What is considered to be the best way to create very small diameter threads ( 1mm for instance) both internal and external, can you buy taps and dies in that sort of size?

Thanks,

Ian

I have the set that IanT suggested and second his views.

Have a look at Tracy Tools website, or if you are at Doncaster Show pick up one of their catalogues. - usual disclaimer - just a satisfied customer - other suppliers are available etc etc

Thread: J A Radford; Improvements and Accessories For Your Lathe
04/02/2019 11:33:45
Posted by Martin Kyte on 04/02/2019 11:16:42:

The Eureka tool was reprinted in the Model Engineering 'best of' centenery series. Maybe Niel could tell us why these issues do not appear in the archive. Maybe they are too old or a special issue and owned by someone else or something.

regards Martin

They are available if you click on the features tab on the black toolbar at the top of the page and then go to Magazine reprints

Thread: Mystery optical device
03/02/2019 11:20:06

There is only one (very obscure) colour photographic process - Lippmann - all others, film or digital record images in mono, which may later be dyed or filtered to give colour.

If anyone is interested the book 'Colour Photography' by the late Brian Coe is a fascinating history of film colour photography.

Thread: Who was W.J. Hughes
31/01/2019 17:33:34

There is a brief obituary of W. J. Hughes by Martin Evans in the Model Engineer Volume 143 No 3565 15-31 July 1977 and a bit fuller appreciation by Arnold Throp (also from Sheffield) in the next issue No 3566 5-18 August 1977.

W.J. Hughes also wrote under the nom de plume of 'Northener'

Thread: Picture upside down
30/01/2019 14:34:20
Posted by george Aldous on 30/01/2019 10:06:20:

I thought for a min you were going to say turn the monitor upside down..

At least that would work - turning the screen upside down when projecting an image seems to be a little less effective! laugh

Thread: Progress No2 GS Pillar Drill
23/01/2019 18:01:28

Might even be a part number on the outer race?

Thread: Old Lathe
12/01/2019 07:47:05
Posted by Ian Usmar on 12/01/2019 00:03:05:

So now that i have it apart I have to make a decision, I have been in touch with Tony at Lathes.co who informs me that the Drummond were solid as standard. Do I keep it as original or bore it out ? If I leave it I could easily have the same issue again.

I'm remembering the picture of the Drummond on ebay spares or repair that you mentioned. The spindle should have been solid but had been drilled at some time and the end had now snapped off.

Will drilling your tailstock barrel weaken it? Was it left solid to save on a manufacturing process, or for good design reasons?

I don't know the answer, but I would wish to be certain before doing anything irreversible.

Thread: boiler blowdown
08/01/2019 22:03:29
Posted by Paul Kemp on 08/01/2019 18:02:00:
Posted by Philip Burley on 08/01/2019 09:45:34:

Thanks for the help , I have a working Tich with a blow down valve , but I have acquired a larger boiler that I would lie to experiment with . It doesn't have a BD valve . If I try to silver solder a bush in now is it likely to ruin the boiler ?

Probably! Unless it is a brand new never been steamed example that is clean. You may get away with it then if you have a torch that can localise the heat mainly to the area of the bush.

Paul.

Before you try to apply local heat (fortunately where a blowdown usually goes you are likely to have the option of oxy acetylene) you need someone to check there is no soft solder, including HMP stuff like Comsol on the boiler or you will certainly wreck it as has been suggested. Get an expert (club boiler inspector perhaps?) to go over it, and give you the all clear to proceed.

Thread: Measurements from the past
06/01/2019 09:40:53
Posted by Georgineer on 05/01/2019 16:18:15:

Incidentally, what unit was used for the original definition of the metre?

The original definition proposed was based upon the length of a pendulum with a period of one second, however the first to be formally adopted was equal to one ten-millionth of the distance between the North Pole and the Equator.

As a result of reading this discussion I have read the fascinating Wikipedia article on the Metre. Worth a Look!

(Sorry if your definition of fascinating is different to mine but I used to be a physicist smiley)

Thread: Commercial boilers
05/01/2019 14:35:32

What suggests to you that one might not?

Thread: Measurements from the past
04/01/2019 20:43:48
Posted by Meunier on 04/01/2019 20:30:38:

(listening to Tannhauser overture from Wagner's Ring and wondering how many angels can dance on a pin-head, however it might be measured)

Found this on the InterWeb:

The number describing a pin size is the length of the pin in sixteenths of a inch. Thus a #17 dressmakers pin is 17⁄16, or 1 ¹⁄16 inches long. The diameter of the pin depends on the type.

Pin sizes are at least a couple of centuries old. An English author writing in 1804 states:

Pins are distinguished by number; the smaller are called from No. 3, 4, 5, to the 14th, whence they go by twos, viz. No. 16, 18 and 20, which is the largest size. Besides the white pins there are black ones, made for the use of mourning, from No. 4 to No. 10.¹

1. Benjamin Tabert.

The Book of Trades, or the Library of Useful Arts. Part III.

London (1804 or 1805).

Reprinted Jacob Johnson, Whitehall (Philadelphia), 1807. That edition was reprinted as Early Nineteenth-Century Crafts and Trades by Dover Publications in 1992. The passage quoted occurs on page 42.

No I don't really understand either.

Thread: Planned Obsolescence
04/01/2019 19:52:35
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 04/01/2019 19:07:28:
Posted by Bill Phinn on 04/01/2019 17:36:37:

... Apple themselves have confirmed that they deliberately slowed down older iPhone models because "their batteries diminished over time".

To be fair ... it's simply a statement of fact, to say that the performance of rechargeable batteries diminishes over time.

If you can supply a rechargeable battery that lasts forever ... The world will beat a path to your door !!

MichaelG.

You could even say it was good engineering to adjust what Apple could control to manage the behaviour of what they could not.

Me defending Apple - What IS the world coming to!!! smiley

Thread: Nylon for axle boxes ?
04/01/2019 19:47:23

I can't add anything to the question of suitability of nylon for axleboxes from experience. I suspect it may deform under load.

However my experience does tell me that it is easier to machine metal to a good working finish than nylon which tended to whisker and score badly the one time I tried it.

Thread: Drill Doctor 750SP
04/01/2019 19:41:07

Sorry to go off topic but why do we not send something back or chuck it, but instead put it on a shelf or under a bench in case it miraculously heals itself if left alone. I am in the midst of a clearout and one dump run bootfull was items just like these.

I think I am just too stubborn to admit defeat!

OK guys sorry for the rant - back on topic now.

Thread: Planned Obsolescence
04/01/2019 17:35:05
#Posted by Brian G on 04/01/2019 17:12:29:
Posted by Nick Clarke 3 on 04/01/2019 15:54:36:

Planned obsolescence is a fact of life in the computer world...

Perhaps the answer is to stick with Windows?

I agree that sticking with Windows (or Mac or Linux whatever) is a plan, but in my opinion sticking with means upgrading hardware and software as necessary.

Unfortunately if you bought say AutoCad in 2003 to run on Windows XP staying with that version and expecting a new printer to work with your computer is hopeful to say the least.

And upgrading one part - say the printer and expecting am XP driver to be written for you new product, or running Windows 10 and hoping a 15 year old printer and 15 year old software to work on it is just silly.

Financially sad to say any computer system will need regular, often unfeasibly expensive, updates to continue to work.

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 04/01/2019 17:38:26

04/01/2019 17:28:29
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 04/01/2019 16:41:56:
Posted by Nick Clarke 3 on 04/01/2019 15:54:36:

Planned obsolescence is a fact of life in the computer world ...

We have slightly different definitions of Planned Obsolescence Nick. I define it as deliberately designing a product to not last beyond a certain time. Battery chemistry adjusted to die after a few years, things made flimsy so they don't wear well, time bomb timers in software and printer cartridges, cars without rust prevention etc.

But don't all products have a design life? - certainly it is foolish for business to expect people to be able to buy a product once and never again isn't it? A 2003 vintage Toshiba laptop upstairs now is not used because it cannot have its memory expanded more than its current 512Mb (it came with 128Mb) and the operating system, Windows XP needs more that 512Mb to run well. It was not booby trapped or anything, only designed to run the day it was made and with what expansions and update that could be predicted for X years - I suspect X was about 6. It had built in obsolescence after that time, presumably because to allow infinite expandability and upgradability would make it too expensive and complex for the market - and Toshiba would not be able to sell a new laptop as well.

Looking at just two of the things you suggest - I manage a number of printers - some have timers in consumables that will only allow a certain number of pages to be printed - built in obsolescence. Others start to print badly - you shake the toner cartridge and print a second copy OK. The first has built in obsolescence, but all the copies it prints are good while the second is a hassle and wastes time and paper. The other example that makes me think is a car without rust protection. I had to drive a Moskvich pickup in the 1970s that had cost the small firm £431 new. It rusted away while you watched, but a more expensive vehicle could not have been afforded by the company. Planned obsolescence or an engineering solution to 'How do you provide a vehicle to transport fridges at next to no cost?'

I think one problem is that in the past many products were ridiculously over engineered and our expectations have risen to suit. My hundred year old project Drummond round bed lathe is an example. The Chinese mini lathe on the bench won't last that long, but I don't think it should, and I certainly couldn't have afforded it if it had been designed to do so.

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 04/01/2019 17:36:47

04/01/2019 16:12:40

Its not just planned obsolescence - the life of many things is far shorter that we would like them to be - only cars made after 1992 HAD to be able to run on unleaded fuel and leaded was banned in 2000 (and LRP which never really became reliably available in 2003) so an 8 year old car might not have any fuel in 2000. What about analogue TV? What about Analogue mobile phones? all of these were not a lifetime buy but became unusable after only a few years.

I suppose we expect things like a computer system to last forever - and they basically will provided that nothing within the system changes.

Unfortunately new software versions, supplies and consumables, cables, peripherals and anything like the internet form part of a computer system, and these all change so unless you stay completely isolated adding nothing and needing nothing so must we all too.

04/01/2019 15:54:36

Planned obsolescence is a fact of life in the computer world - look at this link (down the page) and you will see the planned dates for different versions of a Linux distribution stretching forwards to 2028 at present.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_version_history

The latest version, still in development is only planned to last until the end of 2020.

This is at least honest and up front - I am certain that a similar timeline exists for every operating system, only Linux (Ubuntu) seem to be able to tell you about it up though.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
MIDLNDS GARDEN RAIL Jan 2022
rapid Direct
cowells
Warco
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest