By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nick Clarke 3

Here is a list of all the postings Nick Clarke 3 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Inverter Rating
13/02/2019 19:05:54

Starting to look at inverters and wondered if there were any benefits (or indeed drawbacks) to using a higher rated inverter than strictly necessary - ie would a .75kW invertor be suitable for a .75kW (1Hp) motor or would a 1kW (or larger) be a better choice?

Thanks

Nick

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 13/02/2019 19:08:45

Thread: Thick walled copper tube
11/02/2019 19:14:41

As a different approach what about an external feed (between the frames??) to the blower and add an extra solid stay?

Thread: One off castings
10/02/2019 17:01:38

But who would know where Il'son was??

Years ago, as a trainee, I stood in for the manager of Halfords there for a couple of months - I think the shop was at the bottom of Bath Street, next to the Post Office - it has taken me nearly a lifetime for it to wear off!!

Thread: "Vintage" CNC
10/02/2019 09:50:47
mPosted by John Haine on 10/02/2019 09:37:35:

Do you remember the appalling graphics on the Dragon? That was because of a stupid mistake in the design of the graphics controller, which assumed that European 625 line PAL receivers wouldn't object if they were fed a video signal that was based on NTSC 525-line standards which had a slightly shorter line duration - 63.5 as opposed to 64 microseconds. Since every self respecting PAL receiver incorporated a 64 microsecond delay line to average out colour errors between successive lines, not surprisingly they did funny things. All to save a few pence on the price of a crystal.

As with the exception of the serial port which replaced the parallel port the Dragon was a clone of the Radio Shack (Tandy) Color Computer it inherited the graphics circuitry from that US model as well. It was not a case of building a better circuit but designing a different computer - hence the compromise.

In practice the graphics were not that bad in comparison to many other computers that used 4 colour low res graphics (CGA) or text only displays at the time. However I never intended to say that the Dragon was a better (or even good) computer - but rather that the BBC was the 'odd ball' A user who was skilled in modern style structured BASIC programming on a BBC would be unlikely to be able to transfer those skills to BASIC on many other computers.

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 10/02/2019 09:55:07

Thread: Every Tea Room needs a toaster topic...
10/02/2019 09:17:16
Posted by John Harding on 09/02/2019 12:18:22:

This style was around in the mid 50's. The flat top was probably intended for keeping toast warm. But with the top the same width as the base meant the toaster could be turned on its side to make a toasted cheese sandwich, it required caution.. Try that with a pop-up.

JH

But if you aimed it carefully it could shoot the finished sandwich directly onto your plate surely?? smile p

Thread: One off castings
10/02/2019 09:13:24

While I have only spoken to them over the phone and not yet used them, Manor Foundry in Ilkeston were very helpful and I shall be using them in the near future. Quote "We do a lot of work for model engineers"

Thread: Single to 3 phase invertor and smart meters
10/02/2019 09:10:38
Posted by Emgee on 10/02/2019 00:51:16:

Perhaps not the spy in the cab at the present but I believe in the not too distant future when all consumers have smart meters there will be different tariffs set at various peak use times, the big six are out to get every bit of profit from their consumers.

What about the White meters in the 1960's - didn't they do just that??

Thread: "Vintage" CNC
10/02/2019 08:41:15

Posted by Neil Wyatt on 18/06/2017 21:08:35:

Dragons etc in every bedroom of the world and unstructured, poorly designed(?), hacked code at every turn

The Dragon was a strange computer! I had the opportunity to play with one, and an Oric, which was even weirder in some weays.

Fortunately I was exposed mainly to BBC micros which encouraged structured code whether in their BASIC or in assembly language (although they lent themselves to ingenious hacking).

Sorry Neil but I have to disagree with the comments re Dragon and BBC. While the BBC was a superb machine and I taught using them from their introduction until they were succeeded by PCs in the late 1980s (including in the end CAM using GCode), they were the non standard computers.

The BASIC interpreter used on the Dragon was a stock Microsoft one as used by MsDOS, IBM, TI,  Dragon, Tandy (Radio Shack), RM, and many more. The version used on the BBC was only ever used on Acorn machines and while the strange integration of direct hardware instruction via the *FX and VDU codes was very useful and convenient compared to PEEKs and POKEs or calling a hardware interrupt, it was a dead end as far as computing is concerned.

Hardware was not very standard either - RS423 rather than RS232 serial port, 1MHz bus, non standard Parallel port implementation and the paging of application ROMS was all different to virtually every other computer.

A great machine (I still have a BBC Master here, for old times sake) but definitely non standard.

Nick

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 10/02/2019 08:51:54

Thread: LBSC 3 1/2 Britannia
07/02/2019 21:22:00
Posted by stephen goodbody on 25/06/2018 18:47:59:

Chances are that's been corrected on the Kennion drawings if so, but it would be wise to check the dimensions regardless and just in case.

Best regards

Steve

Don't bank on it - there are numerous examples of errors that are still in the drawings you buy - in fact correcting an error by changing a drawing might be seen as a breech of copyright - it was not how the original guy designed it etc etc.

More practically it might be dangerous for a supplier to change drawings on the word of a constructor without checking that it wasn't they that had made the errors.

My favourite error is a solid boiler stay that is threaded backwards into the backhead and at the same time forwards into the smokebox tubeplate. 1/4" diameter rod with 1/4 by 40 threads. Go install that!!

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 07/02/2019 21:25:25

Thread: Trends in Radio Ads
07/02/2019 20:40:42

Its a funny thing but although a sucker for most radio comedy (except Hancock - I don't know why) I cannot stand either waking up to talking or listening to talking in the car so Classic FM is the choice. However my brain seems to self protect and after a few hearings the Ads, while annoying to listen to at first, seem to me to become blanked out after a few listens - Sensory mediation I believe it is called.

Thread: Threading a bar for 6ba
07/02/2019 20:22:08

Posted by Ian Skeldon 2 on 07/02/2019 19:25:43:

Firstly my apologies is this post is considered to be hi-jacking the original thread (there's a pun in there somewhere).

What is considered to be the best way to create very small diameter threads ( 1mm for instance) both internal and external, can you buy taps and dies in that sort of size?

Thanks,

Ian

I have the set that IanT suggested and second his views.

Have a look at Tracy Tools website, or if you are at Doncaster Show pick up one of their catalogues. - usual disclaimer - just a satisfied customer - other suppliers are available etc etc

Thread: J A Radford; Improvements and Accessories For Your Lathe
04/02/2019 11:33:45
Posted by Martin Kyte on 04/02/2019 11:16:42:

The Eureka tool was reprinted in the Model Engineering 'best of' centenery series. Maybe Niel could tell us why these issues do not appear in the archive. Maybe they are too old or a special issue and owned by someone else or something.

regards Martin

They are available if you click on the features tab on the black toolbar at the top of the page and then go to Magazine reprints

Thread: Mystery optical device
03/02/2019 11:20:06

There is only one (very obscure) colour photographic process - Lippmann - all others, film or digital record images in mono, which may later be dyed or filtered to give colour.

If anyone is interested the book 'Colour Photography' by the late Brian Coe is a fascinating history of film colour photography.

Thread: Who was W.J. Hughes
31/01/2019 17:33:34

There is a brief obituary of W. J. Hughes by Martin Evans in the Model Engineer Volume 143 No 3565 15-31 July 1977 and a bit fuller appreciation by Arnold Throp (also from Sheffield) in the next issue No 3566 5-18 August 1977.

W.J. Hughes also wrote under the nom de plume of 'Northener'

Thread: Picture upside down
30/01/2019 14:34:20
Posted by george Aldous on 30/01/2019 10:06:20:

I thought for a min you were going to say turn the monitor upside down..

At least that would work - turning the screen upside down when projecting an image seems to be a little less effective! laugh

Thread: Progress No2 GS Pillar Drill
23/01/2019 18:01:28

Might even be a part number on the outer race?

Thread: Old Lathe
12/01/2019 07:47:05
Posted by Ian Usmar on 12/01/2019 00:03:05:

So now that i have it apart I have to make a decision, I have been in touch with Tony at Lathes.co who informs me that the Drummond were solid as standard. Do I keep it as original or bore it out ? If I leave it I could easily have the same issue again.

I'm remembering the picture of the Drummond on ebay spares or repair that you mentioned. The spindle should have been solid but had been drilled at some time and the end had now snapped off.

Will drilling your tailstock barrel weaken it? Was it left solid to save on a manufacturing process, or for good design reasons?

I don't know the answer, but I would wish to be certain before doing anything irreversible.

Thread: boiler blowdown
08/01/2019 22:03:29
Posted by Paul Kemp on 08/01/2019 18:02:00:
Posted by Philip Burley on 08/01/2019 09:45:34:

Thanks for the help , I have a working Tich with a blow down valve , but I have acquired a larger boiler that I would lie to experiment with . It doesn't have a BD valve . If I try to silver solder a bush in now is it likely to ruin the boiler ?

Probably! Unless it is a brand new never been steamed example that is clean. You may get away with it then if you have a torch that can localise the heat mainly to the area of the bush.

Paul.

Before you try to apply local heat (fortunately where a blowdown usually goes you are likely to have the option of oxy acetylene) you need someone to check there is no soft solder, including HMP stuff like Comsol on the boiler or you will certainly wreck it as has been suggested. Get an expert (club boiler inspector perhaps?) to go over it, and give you the all clear to proceed.

Thread: Measurements from the past
06/01/2019 09:40:53
Posted by Georgineer on 05/01/2019 16:18:15:

Incidentally, what unit was used for the original definition of the metre?

The original definition proposed was based upon the length of a pendulum with a period of one second, however the first to be formally adopted was equal to one ten-millionth of the distance between the North Pole and the Equator.

As a result of reading this discussion I have read the fascinating Wikipedia article on the Metre. Worth a Look!

(Sorry if your definition of fascinating is different to mine but I used to be a physicist smiley)

Thread: Commercial boilers
05/01/2019 14:35:32

What suggests to you that one might not?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
rapid Direct
JD Metals
walker midge
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest