By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nick Clarke 3

Here is a list of all the postings Nick Clarke 3 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Removing superglue from an oak table
30/12/2019 13:11:51

My daughter likes to fix her own artificial nails an despite many reminders will do this at the dining room table - oak finished in Danish oil, but not reoiled recently.

The not unexpected has happened and a tube of superglue has burrowed underneath something else and been squashed and allowed to set.

Any suggestions on how to remove the glue (one part has even got some paper embedded in it) without having to refinish the entire table??

Her mother (SWMBO) has not seen it yet ………..

Thread: Creality 3D For Christmas - Impressions so Far
28/12/2019 14:12:56

I have had an Ender 3 for a couple of months and am still climbing slowly up the learning curve (and at times it seems I need crampons and an ice axe …..!)

I had one issue when I tried to print a design downloaded from the internet and sliced it with the Creality software but twice it stopped halfway through at the same place (printing from SD card). Using Cura it printed OK.

I don't know whether it is a memory issue or a bit of iffy code in the downloaded design as I now have a good print and I don't want another. Since then I have stuck to Cura though.

Thread: Archiving old data
26/12/2019 19:00:56

A fair cop.

Spelt it wrong three times but only corrected it twice.

But as Meatloaf sang 'Two out of three ain't bad'

26/12/2019 11:34:55
Posted by Andrew Evans on 25/12/2019 23:28:17:

The BBC had a project in 1981 called the Domesday Project to record census data and general information about life in Britain - the data was stored on Laser Disks. I understand there is only a single, working Laser Disk player in existence now that is capable of reading this and this is used as a classic example if digital obsolescence. So it can be a hardware problem as well as a software one.

The Wikipedia article on the BBC Doomesday Project makes interesting reading, not just to show the issues surrounding the preservation and access to this information, but also the copyright nightmare associated with trying to do so.

BBC Domesday Project on Wikipedia

25/12/2019 22:36:27

+1 for cloud storage

A separate issue for me as a photographer is the lack of a permanent record of digital images. On the trashier channels of cable TV one sees Hitler, Churchill etc in otherwise insignificant photos. With digital these will be deleted.

How will historians of the future manage?

Thread: All I want for Christmas ...
24/12/2019 14:49:26

Michael -

You will probably be able to get one secondhand in a couple of years - I suspect at the current rate of shrinkage they will be used to produce Waggon Wheel biscuits from next year and be out of date a couple of years after that as not being able to work small enough!

Have a happy, peaceful (and productive!) Christmas.

Nick

Thread: Castings, creating a datum before milling
22/12/2019 10:30:18

I have the opposite issue with a pair of 71/4" locomotive gunmetal cylinder castings. No names, no pack drill!

Not got there yet, but they have no cores so I am facing drilling them out to allow a boring tool to enter, where I am worried about drills grabbing and then seeing a not inexpensive amount of gunmetal swept into the swarf bin!

As I say, not got there yet, but as I write this I am wondering what is the chance that they will be very close to size on the outside dimensions to add to my cup of joy?

Thread: Axminster/Sieg/Clarke lathe - all the same?
22/12/2019 10:20:33
Posted by Jason Brister on 21/12/2019 10:54:44:

So out of the Axminster, Arc or Clarke, which is the better build quality/spec?

The Clarke machine is an older (but still current) design while the Arc is a more recent and more powerful one. Axminster will sell you either one of the options.

I chose Arc, but like Dave says above, all will sell you a good machine and provide backup, but stop dithering and start cutting metal!

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
18/12/2019 20:33:05

Your tip sounds like a dream for anyone who cares about the environment - here (not naming town as it is unfair ) the council tip has only a single skip for 'metal'.

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2019
18/12/2019 20:30:01
Posted by Meunier on 18/12/2019 19:53:52:
Posted by Pero on 18/12/2019 05:03:57:

Damn! Survived 81 posts without an emoji but it finally got me. Not quite sure what was there before that grinning idiot stepped in - please ignore.

Pero

Pero, what was there before was the 'close bracket' symbol. To avoid your grinning idiot it is necessary to put a space between the d of old and the 'close bracket' as is (....old )
DaveD

If only it was as easy to get rid of real grinning idiots …………. !

Thread: A reminder to take care with aerosols...
16/12/2019 17:54:18

We share our campus with a secondary school and there are regular fire alarms when a PE class of teenagers has been spraying too much Lynx on, despite there being a ban on it.

As to what constitutes how much deodorant a teenage boy considers they need? - nobody has ever found a limit on it!!

Thread: Wobbly Kitchenaid Mixer
16/12/2019 17:47:47
Posted by andrew lyner on 16/12/2019 16:47:41:

That's an idea but I get so cross at spending loads on one squirt from a tube which is out of date by the time I need another squirt. It would certainly be a quick solution.

Thanks for the reply, btw

What about Link or Link at a bit over four quid a go?

Thread: Soldering with tin
14/12/2019 13:07:37

Edwards Metals in Birmingham list Tinstick (Commercial PureTin) in their catalogue on their website.

Thread: Suppliers of brass, aluminium, bronze etc
11/12/2019 10:58:45

John Keatley Metals Ltd in Birmingam

Thread: Foundries
11/12/2019 10:56:52

Manor Foundry in Ilkeston

Thread: Lathe lighting
06/12/2019 08:06:38
Posted by Robin Graham on 06/12/2019 01:03:02:

Did Noah have a lathe on the Ark ? If so I'd bet it was an ML7. Some rust, cosmetic damage only I seem to hear him say.

Robin.

Surely with everything two by two Noah would have had Two ML7s, Two Bridgeports etc etc?

Thread: Why mostly manual cars in UK
05/12/2019 16:33:39

Working with young people who have visual impairments or who are blind - they are as keen as anyone else in wishing to have personal transport and many cannot wait for such vehicles to become available.

Also I think far too many car accidents are caused by a simple mechanical problem - the nut behind the steering wheel!

05/12/2019 11:34:28

Both keeping the brake lights on and dazzling other road users with main beam are forbidden by the same rule in the Highway Code and the same Road Vehicle Lighting Regulation.

A problem with these lights is that, along with most others on modern cars, they are far far brighter than the design of cars and the rules relating to it were ever intended to cope with. If a car is approaching when you are waiting at a T junction, particularly when the road curves to shine the dipped beam in your eyes, it can be quite hard to see if a front indicator is flashing. So is the car turning in to your road or going straight on, so is it safe to pull forward or not?

Even legally adjusted lights can cause dazzle because they are just so bright today.

Don't think there is much that can be done, but it is an extra hazzard to have to cope with when driving nowadays.

05/12/2019 07:52:08
Posted by Mark Rand on 05/12/2019 00:55:49:

I had to train my son to use the handbrake after his driving instructor taught him to sit at junctions riding the clutch...

Just the same when being taught how to drive a manual double decker - always hold on the clutch and WAS it heavy!!!!

04/12/2019 16:34:09
Posted by 34046 on 04/12/2019 16:01:59:

No gearbox trouble to date in 15 years but if it comes it will be down the road as I know what repair cost will be, as fitted with the same torqueflite gaerbox as RR.

Bill

I think you may be being unduely pessimistic overe your gearbox - During my time there we only dealt with one Interceptor (a II I think) but to reassure you this is what the Classic and Sports Car magazine website has to say: 'The Chrysler Torqueflite auto is cheap to rebuild; rarely fails unless it runs dry' Link

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate