By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nick Clarke 3

Here is a list of all the postings Nick Clarke 3 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 3 1/2 gauge A3
08/03/2022 08:49:12

I don't know where you are in the country but joing a club or society would be a good first step.

Why?

• Where do you intend to run this loco - you either have to build a track of your own or use a club track
  • With an unknown quantity the boiler needs checking over and testing - this can be done at a club
  • You will meet people with the knowledge and experience to help you
  • When things go right you will meet people who will celebrate with you - and when they don't you will get support to rectify things
08/03/2022 08:49:11

I don't know where you are in the country but joing a club or society would be a good first step.

Why?

• Where do you intend to run this loco - you either have to build a track of your own or use a club track
  • With an unknown quantity the boiler needs checking over and testing - this can be done at a club
  • You will meet people with the knowledge and experience to help you
  • When things go right you will meet people who will celebrate with you - and when they don't you will get support to rectify things
Thread: Magsafe socket for Apple laptop
07/03/2022 10:16:57
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 06/03/2022 18:21:22:

I usually spray some onto a cotton bud and wipe the contacts with that.

MichaelG.

Ref. __ **LINK**

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 06/03/2022 18:25:45

I would recommend wrapping the cotton bud in cloth - I cut bits from an old handkerchief as needed. For difficult cleaning the weave of the cloth seems to act like a non-abrasive abrasive with the cotton bud underneath holding some fluid.

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 07/03/2022 10:17:45

Thread: Railway station toilet signs
06/03/2022 12:53:46
Posted by Alan Charleston on 05/03/2022 05:12:38:

Hi br,

I believe the correct wording was:

"Gentlemen will please refrain,

From pulling on the toilet chain,

While the train is standing at the station."

This probably dates it back to the first half of the 20th century at the latest.

Regards,

Alan C.

And sung to the tune of Dvorak's 'Humeresque'

Somewhere I have a book with all the verses in

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 06/03/2022 13:15:16

Thread: Model Engineers Handbook
02/03/2022 13:12:42

I think Baz's definition is closer as many of the activities are well publicised and their charitable work, though not shouted about runs into millions - but within all of that there are some things that are private to members of the organisation, so a society with secrets makes sense to me

Thread: stuff that came with my lathe ...
25/02/2022 15:35:03

Like everyone else I would say keep it - with the possible exception of the boring bars - there are more modern equivalents available - but as you will not get much for them I would not think it is worth selling them. Ebay fees and postage would zap any profit.

The Metric conversion set is essential as many more things are now metric that when your lathe was new.

The change gears are useful for fine feeds as well as screwcutting.

As to selling the lathe and getting another - yours is the desirable Tri-Lever model and I would keep that too.

Thread: Songs about Engineering
23/02/2022 13:51:54

Hughie Jones's Fairlie Duplex Engine

Thread: Front door locks
22/02/2022 08:49:28
Posted by Ian Parkin on 19/02/2022 11:22:09:

Mum..she generally leaves the key in the lock on the inside so then the key wont work anyway.

I know it is only p[art of your issue but my autistic daughter would lock the door and leave the key in preventing it from being opened from the outside so I fitted one of these:-

lock.jpg

Thread: Plasma
18/02/2022 15:49:57

Solid, liquid, gas and plasma are the four classical states of matter and at GCSE level only the first three are really taught, however that online encyclopedia which is often derided for inaccuracies suggest this is a more complete list:-

• Solid
  • Liquid
  • Gas
  • Plasma
  • Glass
  • Crystals with some degree of disorder
  • Liquid crystal states
  • Magnetically ordered
  • Microphase-separated
  • Superconductor
  • Superfluid
  • Bose–Einstein condensate
  • Fermionic condensate
  • Rydberg molecule
  • Quantum Hall state
  • Photonic matter
  • Dropleton
  • Degenerate matter
  • Quark matter
  • Color-glass condensate
  • Supersolid
  • String-net liquid
  • Superglass (and if you think of this 'Even in the quietest moments' you listened to too much music in the 1970s and your memory is, like mine, now getting unreliable! smiley)

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 18/02/2022 15:50:36

Thread: Green Anodising Dye
15/02/2022 14:15:03
Posted by Philip Fearn on 15/02/2022 11:06:34:

Time we moved back to topic , like anodising ?

While I agree in the long term, I am moving on first to a bacon sandwich for lunch! smile p

Thread: The Fount Of All.... Hignorunce?
15/02/2022 14:09:44

Even melting the end of polyprop rope is not guaranteed to keep the ends together and a back splice is much more effective and long lasting - and so much more satisfying to do!

15/02/2022 14:09:43

Even melting the end of polyprop rope is not guaranteed to keep the ends together and a back splice is much more effective and long lasting - and so much more satisfying to do!

Thread: Plasma cutter at lidl
13/02/2022 13:57:48

Does it run off a 13A supply?

Thread: Drain cleaning brushes
12/02/2022 07:57:21
Posted by Robert Dodds on 11/02/2022 21:20:21:

Oh for the days of coal fires and a Flue Brush.

Bob D

And as a kid looking out of my bedroom window and not being able to see the other side of the road! sad

Thread: Right to Repair
10/02/2022 10:33:57

A non-profit organisation of which I am chair of finance has been discussing the provision of EV charging points to encourage their use by employees, purely to enhance our 'greenness'

We can ask people to pay which will entail accepting cards or similar, which we don't at present or offer the electricity for free which is OK as the Inland Revenue apparently don't count this as being a benefit in kind.

While free travel will encourage use of EVs what happens if we have more vehicles than chargers, will people need to stop work and move their cars to allow others to charge to make things fair and will the rest of the employees demand a similar perk at some stage? Should we allow access on seniority or on the state of charge of the vehicle so a charge is needed to get home?

Thread: Engineering drawings
07/02/2022 11:21:59
Posted by DMB on 06/02/2022 21:54:54:

Without a proper camera (who's got one these days?), then it will be printshop..

Before I post I need to declare an interest as I collect cameras and have nearly 200 film and digital.

Using a digital camera instead of a phone will produce higher resolution images and less distortion than using a phone. I find a camera far easier to hold steady and one is usually nowadays fitted with an optical zoom lens as well as digital zoom as in a phone producing better quality images.

All simple phones and the simpler cameras electronically process the raw image to add colour and to improve the 'snapshot' at the expense of digital fidelity.

A simpler phone camera is not that removed from the 2/6p Box Brownie of the 20s onwards with its single element lens - with the proviso that a typical box camera will have a sensor (ie film) of many tens, if not hundreds of megapixels

Of course we all usually have a phone with us, but for planned picture taking a camera is better IMHO.

Thread: Heat resistant paint suitable for a camp stove?
06/02/2022 10:21:28
Posted by martin perman on 06/02/2022 08:37:59:

Being picky they were never painted, later ones were plated.

Martin P

And the plating would come off with use.

Recreate in stainless???

Thread: Hand Held Magnifiers?
06/02/2022 10:15:26

While I love watching Steve Fletcher at work with two or three pairs of glasses, why to I keep getting flashbacks to Professor Brainstawm in the Norman Hunter books?

06/02/2022 10:05:09

Even with quality magnifiers; at 10x you are more than likely to get colour fringing.

When teaching visually impaired children their use you always try to use the lowest magnification that was useful to give a wider field of view and longer viewing distance.

An illuminated magnifier or excellent lighting is as important as the strength of the lens, and a coated lens is important too, to reduce flare.

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 06/02/2022 10:05:32

06/02/2022 09:58:18

I use an older Eschenbach hand magnifier - 10x magnification and 35mm diameter. Illuminated and the newer versions like the picture below come with a stand. Cromwell sell them for about £45 + VAT and post and Amazon for about £70 presumably all in.

eschenbach.jpg

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest