By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nick Clarke 3

Here is a list of all the postings Nick Clarke 3 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Archiving old data
25/12/2019 22:36:27

+1 for cloud storage

A separate issue for me as a photographer is the lack of a permanent record of digital images. On the trashier channels of cable TV one sees Hitler, Churchill etc in otherwise insignificant photos. With digital these will be deleted.

How will historians of the future manage?

Thread: All I want for Christmas ...
24/12/2019 14:49:26

Michael -

You will probably be able to get one secondhand in a couple of years - I suspect at the current rate of shrinkage they will be used to produce Waggon Wheel biscuits from next year and be out of date a couple of years after that as not being able to work small enough!

Have a happy, peaceful (and productive!) Christmas.

Nick

Thread: Castings, creating a datum before milling
22/12/2019 10:30:18

I have the opposite issue with a pair of 71/4" locomotive gunmetal cylinder castings. No names, no pack drill!

Not got there yet, but they have no cores so I am facing drilling them out to allow a boring tool to enter, where I am worried about drills grabbing and then seeing a not inexpensive amount of gunmetal swept into the swarf bin!

As I say, not got there yet, but as I write this I am wondering what is the chance that they will be very close to size on the outside dimensions to add to my cup of joy?

Thread: Axminster/Sieg/Clarke lathe - all the same?
22/12/2019 10:20:33
Posted by Jason Brister on 21/12/2019 10:54:44:

So out of the Axminster, Arc or Clarke, which is the better build quality/spec?

The Clarke machine is an older (but still current) design while the Arc is a more recent and more powerful one. Axminster will sell you either one of the options.

I chose Arc, but like Dave says above, all will sell you a good machine and provide backup, but stop dithering and start cutting metal!

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2019
18/12/2019 20:33:05

Your tip sounds like a dream for anyone who cares about the environment - here (not naming town as it is unfair ) the council tip has only a single skip for 'metal'.

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2019
18/12/2019 20:30:01
Posted by Meunier on 18/12/2019 19:53:52:
Posted by Pero on 18/12/2019 05:03:57:

Damn! Survived 81 posts without an emoji but it finally got me. Not quite sure what was there before that grinning idiot stepped in - please ignore.

Pero

Pero, what was there before was the 'close bracket' symbol. To avoid your grinning idiot it is necessary to put a space between the d of old and the 'close bracket' as is (....old )
DaveD

If only it was as easy to get rid of real grinning idiots …………. !

Thread: A reminder to take care with aerosols...
16/12/2019 17:54:18

We share our campus with a secondary school and there are regular fire alarms when a PE class of teenagers has been spraying too much Lynx on, despite there being a ban on it.

As to what constitutes how much deodorant a teenage boy considers they need? - nobody has ever found a limit on it!!

Thread: Wobbly Kitchenaid Mixer
16/12/2019 17:47:47
Posted by andrew lyner on 16/12/2019 16:47:41:

That's an idea but I get so cross at spending loads on one squirt from a tube which is out of date by the time I need another squirt. It would certainly be a quick solution.

Thanks for the reply, btw

What about Link or Link at a bit over four quid a go?

Thread: Soldering with tin
14/12/2019 13:07:37

Edwards Metals in Birmingham list Tinstick (Commercial PureTin) in their catalogue on their website.

Thread: Suppliers of brass, aluminium, bronze etc
11/12/2019 10:58:45

John Keatley Metals Ltd in Birmingam

Thread: Foundries
11/12/2019 10:56:52

Manor Foundry in Ilkeston

Thread: Lathe lighting
06/12/2019 08:06:38
Posted by Robin Graham on 06/12/2019 01:03:02:

Did Noah have a lathe on the Ark ? If so I'd bet it was an ML7. Some rust, cosmetic damage only I seem to hear him say.

Robin.

Surely with everything two by two Noah would have had Two ML7s, Two Bridgeports etc etc?

Thread: Why mostly manual cars in UK
05/12/2019 16:33:39

Working with young people who have visual impairments or who are blind - they are as keen as anyone else in wishing to have personal transport and many cannot wait for such vehicles to become available.

Also I think far too many car accidents are caused by a simple mechanical problem - the nut behind the steering wheel!

05/12/2019 11:34:28

Both keeping the brake lights on and dazzling other road users with main beam are forbidden by the same rule in the Highway Code and the same Road Vehicle Lighting Regulation.

A problem with these lights is that, along with most others on modern cars, they are far far brighter than the design of cars and the rules relating to it were ever intended to cope with. If a car is approaching when you are waiting at a T junction, particularly when the road curves to shine the dipped beam in your eyes, it can be quite hard to see if a front indicator is flashing. So is the car turning in to your road or going straight on, so is it safe to pull forward or not?

Even legally adjusted lights can cause dazzle because they are just so bright today.

Don't think there is much that can be done, but it is an extra hazzard to have to cope with when driving nowadays.

05/12/2019 07:52:08
Posted by Mark Rand on 05/12/2019 00:55:49:

I had to train my son to use the handbrake after his driving instructor taught him to sit at junctions riding the clutch...

Just the same when being taught how to drive a manual double decker - always hold on the clutch and WAS it heavy!!!!

04/12/2019 16:34:09
Posted by 34046 on 04/12/2019 16:01:59:

No gearbox trouble to date in 15 years but if it comes it will be down the road as I know what repair cost will be, as fitted with the same torqueflite gaerbox as RR.

Bill

I think you may be being unduely pessimistic overe your gearbox - During my time there we only dealt with one Interceptor (a II I think) but to reassure you this is what the Classic and Sports Car magazine website has to say: 'The Chrysler Torqueflite auto is cheap to rebuild; rarely fails unless it runs dry' Link

04/12/2019 16:09:10

Interestingly the reason the place I worked at did so much work on auto transmissions in the 80's (mainly BW35, 12J, 45 or the Ford C4) was because much of the trade was frightened of them - but they would go for amazing mileages with no repair - to the stage where the metal clutch plates would wear so thin that a box that came in with 'I think it may be slipping a bit' would have plates worn so thin they would cut paper!

If the fluid was trashed by overheating or burnt brake bands it could cause problems but we only ever scrapped a box if the case was broken - if you had someone in the business who knew what they were doing (emphatically not me!) you could replace anything to repair any fault.

Posted by Howard Lewis on 04/12/2019 15:20:47:..........

And under snow or ice, give me a manual anyday!

The early BW boxes had D1 and D2 selection where D2 started off in intermediate using the torque convertor's torque multiplication to make life easier on slippery surfaces, but later ones and virtually all autos since, appear to be designed to allow you to select a lower gear if wanted rather than a higher one if needed for stability on ice.

04/12/2019 15:16:29

Traditional automatics worked best in cars with larger engines with good low down torque and a wide rev range and here in the UK, as in many parts of the world smaller engines were the norm and so the auto choice meant compromises in performance and fuel economy that the buying public were unwilling to pay.

In my opinion automatics made sense - however in the sixties and seventies many manufacturers mainstream models were 1600cc or therabouts and a 1600cc automatic Ford Cortina was a far less pleasant car to drive than the manual (4 speed) version which was probably the most popular car to buy during much of that time.

While auto boxes for large vehicles were introduced in the 1940s the first auto transmission designed for a small UK car was the AP auto box fitted to Minis and 11/1300s from 1962 (and incidently it was manufactured about 800yds from where I now live) However this was not seen as suitable for young, keen drivers.

As such until recently the image of driving an automatic was that it was for oldies and it does not help that UK licencing laws allow someone to drive auto and manual if the driving test was passed in a manual car, while if in an auto you could never drive anything else - ie you were 'less skilled'

Personally having worked in the Motor Trade for several years including a lot of auto box work for the trade a well matched auto box is easier to drive, nicer to drive and requires less maintenance - and today the fuel consumption penalty is small.

The devil is in the detail of course and 'well matched' does not, in my personal opinion, apply to automated manual gearboxes and some 'sealed for life' autos which are nasty to drive and short lived respectively.

I am no longer personally interested in cars much, I think I have run too many, and so I drive a small basic manual car as the auto choice for that model is not a good one - however if I drove a different car with an engine of say 1.4 litres or more I don't think it would be manual.

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 04/12/2019 15:17:22

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 04/12/2019 15:22:12

Thread: Meddings pillar drill colour
04/12/2019 10:59:53

Your choice of colour is up to you, however take care re-coating Hammerite and similar paints as they can affect the finish on the new coat of paint. This will be especially so if the present finish is flatted down - even worse than painting over the top of the old paint.

Try a test first and leave it to dry thoroughly to see if you are going to have any issues. If you do then total removal is probably the only answer, if you wish to achieve a good finish.

Thread: More evidence that the world has gone mad!
03/12/2019 12:44:22

Another probably apocryphal story is that Rolls Royce wished to name a new model the Silver Mist until it was pointed out that mist in German translates as dung!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest