By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nick Clarke 3

Here is a list of all the postings Nick Clarke 3 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: KENNIONS MODEL ENGINEERING SUPPLIES
04/06/2021 08:25:24

There were some errors in drawings for one of their own designs and when they became aware of this they commissioned corrections and sent out the corrected ones FOC to purchasers. IMHO this is very rare, if not unheard of.

Fast service, reasonable prices and quality goods and materials.

Thread: LBSC Gert Drawings
03/06/2021 08:30:02

Gert was a LBSC design produced exclusively for Reeves and was not published in ME certainly, and I suspect not in any other magazine either, so they may be a source of information provided it has been passed on through the various changes in ownership.

This and the 3½" version Daisy, do not even make it into Brian Hollingsworh's book on LBSC.

Thread: Elmdon MES Spring Bank Holiday
26/05/2021 11:28:56

This weekend is the reopening of the Elmdon Miniature Railway at the Wythall Transport Museum near Birmingham.

Public running 12:00-2:00 Saturday May 29th and 10:00-4:00 Sunday 30th and Monday 31st.

Elmdon MES & Whythall Steam Railway

Wythall transport Museum has collections of buses and electric vehicles and also offers vintage bus rides.

Wythall Transport Museum

Thread: New use for a slide rule
23/05/2021 18:26:47
Posted by Paul Rhodes on 23/05/2021 18:18:53:
Posted by Nick Clarke 3 on 23/05/2021 17:48:03:

And one of my most reread books is 'Slide Rule - The Autobiography of an Engineer' by Nevil Shute - It should be essential reading for any young engineer involved with a large project - and a good read for us older ones!

........no doubt read "On The Beach.."

Depressing but another good read IMHO

23/05/2021 17:48:03

And one of my most reread books is 'Slide Rule - The Autobiography of an Engineer' by Nevil Shute - It should be essential reading for any young engineer involved with a large project - and a good read for us older ones!

Thread: Inexpensive inverter mig welders
23/05/2021 17:27:30
Posted by jann west on 23/05/2021 17:19:22:

Big question is are they "gasless"? because that significantly limits their use. Inverter mig welders that can use shielding gas are very useful within their dutycycles ... gasless not so much, It depends on your application.

Gasless produces messy welds but if you are lying on the drive mending an old car it produces a shield that is less likely to be blown away by the wind than that from a gas bottle, so horses for courses!

Thread: Who uses airbrushes?
23/05/2021 11:19:00

The first thing is that at 23L per minute your compressor will not run one of these 'professional' sprayguns.

If you search this forum you will find quite a few posts on air brushes (search both airbrush and air brush)

In addition do not scorn the humble 'rattle can' aerosols - available in many standard colours off the shelf, but also go to your nearest auto refinisher suppliers who can mix hundreds of BS and RAL colours and put them in aerosols for you. They will be able to advise you on the type of paint as well.

My local supplier is Jawel Paints who have a website and are local to the midlands. (satisfied customer only) but there are many others across the country.

Thread: New use for a slide rule
23/05/2021 11:08:34

Like many others I have not really used my slide rule, bought while at school, since calculators came in although when I started to read Mechanical Engineering in the early seventies there were four HP calculators in the department for student use - all securely bolted down to a desk.

My A level chemistry analysis practical was to identify vanillin (C8H8O3) and the fine white powder got everywhere - and my plastic slide rule still has a faint smell of it to this day!

Thread: Oxy Propane kit
16/05/2021 15:24:12

That's not really an either/or question.

Oxy Propane is a high temperature, but localised flame, and can cause issues by melting tubes or tube plates if not used carefully while propane is a slightly cooler flame, but bigger and with a lot more heat capacity.

I would suggest that an oxy propane kit is something useful to have in the workshop for brazing as against silver soldering, but for more heat on a boiler a second propane is probably a better bet and is half the price of the oxy kit. Many of the older designs were produced on the understanding that paraffin blowlamps were to be used and these produced a flame similar to propane not oxy.

If you use a large propane bottle you may be able to get away with using a t-piece with both torches but if you use a small one a second bottle, or exchanging yours for the largest the rules your gas supplier allows might be an idea. A mate to hold the second torch is probably essential too. In my experience do not ask a significant other or partner - just don't ask me how I know!!

But before you try any of these suggestions what burner are you using? - the standard Sievert one is good, but they do a lot of others with far higher outputs and one of these may be the answer.

If you intend to silver solder your firebox stays a cyclone burner could be useful as well.

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 16/05/2021 15:26:51

Thread: Tribological query re shafts and bushings!
16/05/2021 09:08:35
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 15/05/2021 22:12:10:

I don 't know the particular lathe and its fittings, and no lathe called "920" appears on Chester's web-site now as far as I can see, so I would not be surprised at no replacement parts.

Chester 920 Lathe

Thread: Open Technology Lathe Idea
15/05/2021 14:32:33

While not open hardware, what about looking at the Gingery designs for workshop equipment?

Thread: Looking for a book
13/05/2021 20:06:06
Posted by duncan webster on 13/05/2021 15:35:33:

I'd build a Juliette rather than a Tich. Just that bit bigger, easier to hold the bits and a bigger grate makes it easier to keep the fire burning. Cost of bits won't be much more.

The articles for the first version are here - Juliet.pdf (john-tom.com)

13/05/2021 07:38:50

Most (but not quite all) of the magazine articles have been scanned in and are available here:- TichSm.pdf (john-tom.com)

Thread: Mallard Metals Phone Number
12/05/2021 11:43:11
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 12/05/2021 11:35:11:

Oh, I am sorry to read that. Has the company gone as well? I copied the order form from their on-line catalogue, so the site is still active.

Don't know I'm afraid, but websites do tend to 'linger' - I am always telling the students I teach that once it is on the Internet it can be up there for ever!

I must get myself a 'Roundtuit' and make certain that the passwords to my websites etc are recorded so someone else can take over using them or take them down after I am no longer able to manage them myself.

12/05/2021 11:29:52

Unfortunately Rob died a bit back. This is from their Facebook page.

A pity as they were less than 5 minutes in the car from me.

Bought stuff from them and they were always helpful and friendly.

Thread: horizontal boiler stays
09/05/2021 14:22:38

Some people think as you do and others consider silver soldering to be less safe as the stay may not be under tension if not straight or expand on heating and crack the joints on cooling.

I make no claims for which is best only that I have seen all viewpoints expressed in the past.

Thread: Swindon Wheel Castings
08/05/2021 07:53:20

A search through the online ME index brings up an item for "Wheel Castings for Swindon (College Engineering Supply)" in volume 155 issue 3764 but I do not have this issue in my collection. The College Engineering Supply website does not list the wheels, but perhaps someone might have this magazine or a phone call could take you forwards?

Thread: Rothenberger Super Fire 2 Torch
06/05/2021 11:56:37
Posted by Bo'sun on 06/05/2021 07:26:22:

I contacted Rothenberger UK and was told it's irreparable and the leakage was caused by erosion from the use of aftermarket gas (non-Rothenberger), or by leaving the cylinder attached after use, which I haven't..

In the USA the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Improvement Act states that Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty but if a similar law applies where you are based I do not know.

Thread: Phone Caller ID does not work
03/05/2021 17:51:29

A new one on me -

'Hello I am your local energy advisor and I understand you are the householder'

My reply - if you understand I am the householder - what is my name?

Phone silent.

I told him what I thought of him and his type and put the phone down.

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 03/05/2021 17:51:58

Thread: My new computer
03/05/2021 10:39:49
Posted by Russell Eberhardt on 03/05/2021 10:35:27:
Posted by Nick Clarke 3 on 03/05/2021 10:17:30:
You don't have to buy Windows, you don't have to use Talk Talk - but if you wish to do so there are strings attached which are rarely negotiable

It's difficult not to buy Windows if you are buying a new computer. Very few vendors sell them without it so you pay for it even if you don't want it.

Russell

Fair comment Russell - perhaps 'You don't need to use Windows' would have been a better way of putting it

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
rapid Direct
Dreweatts
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
JD Metals
walker midge
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest