By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nick Clarke 3

Here is a list of all the postings Nick Clarke 3 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Camera
05/08/2021 09:59:56

Please post some shots as this lens was only ever fitted to half frame cameras and as a collector of FSU cameras and lenses myself I should love to know the exact coverage on a full frame negative.

Whilst not the sharpest these lenses have a following amongst photographers who are looking for the specific artistic effect they give, usually when fitted to mirrorless digital bodies.

Thread: Is It A Fake
03/08/2021 09:11:41
Posted by Nicholas Farr on 03/08/2021 08:52:25:

the answer to Noel's question is; yes it is a fake. The reason being that although the casting was made from the original makers pattern, a plate with the number 7868 made from this pattern was never attached to a production locomotive.

While personally not being majorly concerned with the differences between representations, models and fakes - in the above scenario, if the exact original never existed, then the new plate is a fake of what?

Thread: Anyone know what this is
02/08/2021 08:25:43

Perhaps a tooth chipped 5:00 Friday with a job due out Monday so the chipped tooth is ground back to avoid binding/scoring?

Certainly if the lowest ground tooth is to cut it would suggest a 3mm depth of cut for the other teeth which is unlikely with a 5mm cutter.

Thread: Morgan Computers
31/07/2021 14:01:22

Over the years I have bought several items from Morgan Computers - starting at their tiny shop at the top of Tottenham Court Road, through various High St locations and most recently online. Only ever had one item that did not work as expected and they instantly swapped it for a higher specced one that was ok for no more money.

More recently I have used them for buying printer cartridges for the day job, although that has recently finished with my retirement.

Like many people posting here I wanted to upgrade my desktop computer so I looked at their website and found what I wanted at a reasonable price so ordered yesterday lunchtime.

Got an eMail saying it was to be delivered Monday, which was good, but imagine my surprise and delight when it turned up midday today!

Heartily recommended

Thread: AA batteries
27/07/2021 09:37:38

Naming an offender IKEA yellow AA batteries will not work in my Worcester Bosch wireless central heating controller for just this reason

Thread: Myford Gear Spacers
26/07/2021 08:12:19
Posted by Howard Lewis on 25/07/2021 21:07:16:

We may work in Metric now, but they didn't start, in most cases, until after 1971 when the slow changeover to Metric began.

I think you are out by about 150 years - see this timeline for metrification UK Metric timeline

Thread: Warco WM180
22/07/2021 14:37:10
Posted by Steve Millward on 21/07/2021 22:35:32:

Thanks for all replies it’s appreciated

while I’m here has anyone made a crank handle for wm180

if so has anyone got a drawing they would like to share

cheers

Watch the youtube vids and see if a drawing is really necessary. The only dimension that matters is the spindle bore which is apparently 21mm - I made one for my Sieg SC3 which like many other mini lathes has a 20mm bore so I used a bit of 20mm o/d x 2mm steel tube for the main body - you will probably have to turn something to fit;.

Thread: Hydrogen
22/07/2021 14:17:33
Posted by Calum Galleitch on 22/07/2021 14:01:55:
Posted by Nicholas Wheeler 1 on 22/07/2021 10:07:38:

Just like any other 'new' system, how are you going to develop the infrastructure and who is going to pay for it?

One presumes in the same way we did for horsefeed, for petrol, for electric vehicles, as we did and do for any new technology deployed at scale.

There seems to be an awful lot of "wellwhataboutism" on this forum - the purpose of engineering is to solve problems, not find reasons it can't be done! It's one thing to say "I don't understand how this can work", it's another to say "and therefore it won't work"!

Quite agree - and if fast electric chargers are to be installed all over the place the electric infrastructure may well need upgrading anyway.

Any change away from current technology will demand changes and this film shows me that the choice lies between battery electric, hydrogen and hydrogen fuel cell electric. The first demands resources that could well be limited in availability and very expensive while both of the others demand pipes, tanks electrolysers and tankers - all current technology and no resource implications. Thereafter the cost difference between fuel cell and direct hydrogen combustion sells it to me.

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 22/07/2021 14:18:45

Thread: Vehicle reversing sensors
18/07/2021 09:18:00
Posted by Martin Cargill on 18/07/2021 07:59:13:

Reversing light, you flash ba****d. I have the mark one eyeball fitted to my series Land-Rover. If that fails I revert to the mark one ear and park by sound, You just pull forward a bit after the crunch noise.

Martin

That sounds like the blind skydiver who knew it was time to bend his knees for landing when the dog's lead went slack! laugh

Thread: Man management
12/07/2021 17:32:24

Why am I reminded of one of the Dilbert Principles where someone is promoted higher and higher until their incompetence no longer affects the rest of the organisation. Like much of Dilbert it is clearly tongue in cheek - until you think about it! ................

Thread: Metal Suppliers
11/07/2021 09:44:05
Posted by John Flack on 20/06/2017 09:58:23:

For many years I used Edwards metals in Brum they were located in the shadow of VIlla Park, small enough to be helpful and encourage loyalty. Have never seen them mentioned hereabouts

Not quite in the shadow now, but still there - and they produce a catalogue that is available online Edwards Metals

Thread: Change Wheel Programme from MEW
03/07/2021 16:10:17

I do recommend BASIC for beginners, but only in a special set of circumstances. Until I retire later on this year I teach blind and visually impaired students and the ability of the code to be read by a screen reader is important.

Leading whitespace is ignored by screen readers so its use to block sections of code, as in python is difficult.

Improper punctuation such as full stops in the middle of statements or function names are also ignored.

As a result while those with a flair for programming can pick up the need for things that are not spoken to them, and many successful programmers are blind - using any or all of those languages Dave has mentioned, those just dipping their toes in for the first time find a traditional BASIC far easier to succeed in, in the first instance.

As a sometime C programmer IMHO it is obviously the best one to use - but after writing out the changewheel program in C I could not understand my own syntax laugh

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2021
30/06/2021 11:50:18
Posted by Steve Neighbour on 29/06/2021 22:18:47:

Did you just wonder if Model Engineering is "cheap" ?

I always tell swmbo it is really cheap wink 2 (a lot less than her gardening and other hobbies)

Anyone think different ? probably be wise to secret

But honest dear - lathes and milling machines are expensive because they come with all the accessories and materials you will ever need!

Even I couldn't make that seem plausible! face 1

Thread: 0-4-0 Gemma 7.25"
27/06/2021 09:25:38

7¼" Tich from GLR Kennions?

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
18/06/2021 07:15:03
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 17/06/2021 23:35:24:

I've concluded metal-forming beyond the very simplest cylinder-rolling, straight-line folding and bashing-it-over-a-block-of-wood, is of the Hermetic Arts. Although such sheet-metalwork is very long-established professionally, I have never seen any examples of, instructive literature on, or tools for, it beyond those basics, in model-engineering.

While a long time ago, if you have access to them through a club or local library, the articles in the 1920s and 30s by Herbert Dyer (also writing as H Dyer) are excellent - see the ME index for more information.

Thread: Which was the better design of Airship: R100 or the R101?
12/06/2021 15:59:23
Posted by martin haysom on 12/06/2021 13:57:09:
Posted by Greensands on 12/06/2021 12:59:59:

........................ and there is certainly evidence of incompetent design in the R 101.....................

Is it possible to elaborate on this evidence?

to my mind filling the thing with hydrogen was the biggest one

Unfortunately the USA had a monopoly in helium and it was far more expensive than hydrogen that could be produced anywhere. Helium produces less lift than hydrogen and lift is what the R101 appears to have been short of. Therefore the decision to follow the standard practice and experience of the time by using hydrogen makes sense. Using helium does not.

11/06/2021 14:40:09
Posted by Bill Pudney on 09/06/2021 23:27:08:

I read a biography of Neville Shute which was extremely critical of the detail design of the R101

cheers

Bill

Neville Shute (an aeronautical engineer and keen model engineer as well as a novelist) described his time as Chief Calculator for R100, no 2 to Barnes Wallis, in his autobiography 'Slide Rule' which also includes comments on the R101

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 11/06/2021 14:41:03

Thread: Brazing Hearth
09/06/2021 10:22:56
Posted by br on 08/06/2021 20:51:13:

John B

Forgive me for stating the obvious but it need to be capable of being used in the vertical plane as well as the horizontal, hence the need for the packing blocks to contain the vessel in either.

bill

Or a hole in the metal or whatever base and suitably shaped firebricks to allow the tubeplate or backhead of your boiler to poke through from below.

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2021
07/06/2021 17:34:34
Posted by Ron Laden on 07/06/2021 13:05:06:

Oops, so it does I think I need a visit to Spec Savers.

I wonder just which shop you will end up in? crook

Only joking Ron - I had a card-ectomy (the forcible removal of money from a debit card) on Friday for some new glasses myself. I usually reckon I need them when they start printing the clues for the Telegraph crossword in grey fuzzy type - a new pair of glasses and they start using black print again!

Thread: Air tools
07/06/2021 17:27:15
Posted by not done it yet on 07/06/2021 17:00:45:

I expect that if the compressor was from machine mart (or lots of cheap chinese brands) it is quoted as ‘Air Displacement’, not Free Air Delivery - whereas the tool usage will be the absolute best ‘air delivered’ when new, and likely rounded down to the nearest unit. There can be a huge difference between AD and FAD. It’s called efficiency.

Hence it is likely your compressor was never really enough for the duty. Should have bought a bigger compressor.

I looked for a decent axial air tool with low rpm, but failed to find anything suitable. Check out die grinders if high speed is required.

Sadly +1 I'm afraid

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
cowells
JD Metals
emcomachinetools
walker midge
rapid Direct
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest