By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nick Clarke 3

Here is a list of all the postings Nick Clarke 3 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: SX1 Mill Motor Shaft
08/07/2020 21:24:14
Posted by James Dickie on 08/07/2020 21:02:18:

If you would like an easy route to a belt drive conversion, then I can highly recommend this one:

**LINK**

The one I purchased was delivered very quickly, the parts are very well made, fit perfectly to the machine and everything works very well. Having a push button lock for the spindle makes life much easier too. The only tricky bit is building a new box for the control board, but you'll have to figure that out anyway if you do your own thing.

I've no connection with the supplier of this kit, just a satisfied customer.

Thanks, useful

Nick

08/07/2020 21:24:14
Posted by James Dickie on 08/07/2020 21:02:18:

If you would like an easy route to a belt drive conversion, then I can highly recommend this one:

**LINK**

The one I purchased was delivered very quickly, the parts are very well made, fit perfectly to the machine and everything works very well. Having a push button lock for the spindle makes life much easier too. The only tricky bit is building a new box for the control board, but you'll have to figure that out anyway if you do your own thing.

I've no connection with the supplier of this kit, just a satisfied customer.

Thanks, useful

Nick

08/07/2020 20:45:20

As I did not think knowing the size of the shaft would be necessary when ordering a spare part I did not even consider that it might be listed in the description on the ARC website.

So thank you Jason - problem solved (and also thank you to Ketan for putting unnecessary, but highly useful information on the company website)

Thanks

Thread: MEW 295 Arduino Sketches
08/07/2020 20:40:28

I personally completely agree with Neil's reply to the letter in Scribe-a-Line regarding Arduino sketch fritzing. As I have been messing around with electronics since OC71 transistors came in slide out cardboard boxes of five and having taught physics in the past I find a proper circuit diagram far easier to follow, but (isn't there always a but?) I have seen people mimic a sketch from a fritzed diagram who could not read a circuit diagram - mainly because they follow the physical layout of holes and pins which a circuit diagram does not show.

So basically it depends upon who you are talking to whether the Fritz or circuit diagram is the better.

Thread: SX1 Mill Motor Shaft
08/07/2020 20:26:08

I have seen many comments on the internet regarding the gears in a Sieg SX1 mill stripping gears.

I know they are readily available from suppliers, but I am looking at the opeion of converting to belt drive, should I need to.

So, no urgency as for a small machine it still amazes me by what it can do, but because I would like to have a design schemed out should I need it, Does anyone know the diameter of the shaft on the motor?

I accept I could take it to pieces, but I am loathe to do so, while it is working so well. (If you suggest it is idleness you know me far too well!)

Hopefully honesty and my self awareness may overcome people's opinions of my downright cheek!

If you can help, Thanks,

Nick

Thread: ML7 refurbishment
07/07/2020 15:26:24
Posted by Cornish Jack on 07/07/2020 09:30:50:

Nick Clarke 3 - in your last, you noted that the TriLeva 7 was recommended for 3/4 HP. I have such a machine but I haven't seen that previously. Could you say what the source is, please? (and does it say why?)

rgds

Bill

About halfway down this post the two speed motor (3 phase) recommended for the tri-leva is mentioned as being in Myford catalogue 733A with the p/n 60/014A

**LINK**

Thread: Hammer flipping experiment?
07/07/2020 07:56:29
Posted by duncan webster on 06/07/2020 20:24:41:

I don't actually own a claw hammer, too much like woodwork for me. However I've tried it with my collection of ball pein and straight pein hammers and they stay the same way up, ie face down

In my case it should be spelt pain!

Thread: ML7 refurbishment
06/07/2020 20:00:19
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 06/07/2020 19:01:09:

1 HP on an ML7 isn't insanely powerful, just over-the-top for a machine not designed for that much oomph.

Not that far over the top - While the instructions suggest 1/3 to 1/2 HP for the ML7, 1/2 to 3/4 for the Super 7 and Tri-Leva ML7s were recommended 3/4 HP so with a VFD it is probably the top end of normal.

Thread: Hammer flipping experiment?
06/07/2020 19:24:36

bandage.jpeg

Actually my foot, but you get the idea!

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 06/07/2020 19:25:14

Thread: Merryweather Fire King
04/07/2020 13:36:04
Posted by Bob Wild on 04/07/2020 12:54:48:

THe only problem I have now is that 'Er Indoors wants to spend more time outdoors with the easing of the lockdown restrictions. So I'm taking her to the Yorkshire Dales in our caravan. Model Engineering on hold for a while crying

Do you think she would notice?

south-bend-lathe-chevrolet-salemans-car-1951.jpg

Thread: What’s the tolerance??
04/07/2020 12:18:33

I think the whole concept of drawings published in magazines as engineering drawings and as such containing all the information required to build a finished model is erroneous.

Magazines publish articles written by people who are, in this context, journalists and not engineers.

To create a model you may well need the text as published in the magazine as well as the drawings (what LBSC called the words and music) Unfortunately you may also need the subsequent copies of the magazine where corrections were noted. These may or may not have been included in the plans you buy from a supplier, which in any case do not include the text. Basically when you buy plans you only have the illustrative sketches provided in a magazine article. Knowing this is half the battle.

Of course this may not be the case if you are buying a design that was not published in a magazine originally, but the conventions laid down by 120 years of articles are followed in many of these as well.

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 04/07/2020 12:18:48

Thread: clarke cl500 improvements
04/07/2020 11:53:43
Posted by john halfpenny on 04/07/2020 10:22:16:

Robin, perhaps it was a bit naughty to post the three tenths figure, but it was a true single reading. Having re-chucked a few times, the repeatable figure is in the range 6-8 tenths of a thou. Some people have clearly had a bad experience with this lathe, and manufacturing quality may well be patchy so some caution is probably advisable. I think my lathe was made in Taiwan, a country quite capable of quality work, but I suspect standards slipped when production first moved to China, though it may be better now.

My reason for posting, and admitting my ownership of an unfashionable machine, is that it can, as you confirm, turn out good work and be adapted to do better. I have even used the mill, before getting my Naerok; it is not a Bridgeport for sure, but for a hobbyist with not much room it can, with care, be made to work. In any event, the cross slide is slotted X and Y, so a milling vice can be fitted. What a pity a little more care was not taken with the detail.

You have made several useful improvements to what is, as you say, an unfashionable machine.

However the comparisons that have been made must surely be meaningless - comparing your lathe, available new for £1200 (or £1400 with mill drill) with one that went out of production nearly 65 years ago to be replaced by a model its manufacturer felt was better means condition and wear and repairabilty must be more important. Also a 'Little John' at 50% more expensive than a Myford in 1966 would retail new today, if still in production, at something like 8-10 thousand pounds.

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 04/07/2020 11:54:48

Thread: What’s the tolerance??
04/07/2020 11:03:44
Posted by Paul Lousick on 04/07/2020 03:21:50:

This I beleive is because they have been created "on the cheap" and not by experienced draftsmen who have the required qualifications. (One of my pet rants as I have worked as a professional design draftsman/engineer for 40 years and expect a better standard on drawings).

On the other hand, if the drawings were made by a professional, they would cost $1000's instead of $100's to buy. Ya get wot ya pay for ! dont know

I don't think you are being fair to the people who over the years have created many successful designs. Martin Evans wasn't a draftsman and neither were LBSC or W.J. Hughes, which is not to say they didn't have drafting skills, but most of the drawings published in magazines were redrawn from pencil originals for publication. I suspect that there was a deliberate policy to not include tolerances as this would only open up the way for amateurs to fail if they did not make things plus or minus a thou. Look at almost any published drawings and the design is often a long way from the purported original in order to make it suitable for a non professional to have a chance of successfully completing it.

Machine tools, right up to the second world war were often not provided with graduated dials and many of these were still in use years later. Micrometers and verniers were not always found in the amateur workshop, callipers and rule were the norm for many.

In my own case I can with confidence say that I can make a piston fit a cylinder, but I doubt it is ever exactly as drawn, but it has always worked.

Tolerances are only one way of saying Pass/Fail or Good/No good - the parts fitting together and working is an equally valid, and far more achievable, way of saying the same thing. If you look at the articles for a published design they will add to what the drawings have on them - eg turn down the end of an axle until it will just enter the wheel and similar.

Finally commenting on your question of the cost of drawings, designers have frequently ceded their copyright to the drawing to suppliers so what you are paying for is prints, not drawings.

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 04/07/2020 11:08:25

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
04/07/2020 09:08:33

You want poetry?

There was a young lass with litre,

At aide memoires she couldn’t be neater,

When faced with a pint

She couldn’t rely on’t

Saying imperial always defeated ‘er

Well that wasn't poetry! laugh

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 04/07/2020 09:08:50

04/07/2020 08:47:47
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 04/07/2020 07:08:48:​​​​​​

A pint of water weighs a pound and a quarter

... What better aide memoire could there be ?

angel MichaelG.

How about 1 litre of water has a mass of 1 kg as against a pint of water having a mass of 1.25 lb

and 13 litres of water (for example) has a mass of 13 kg against 13 pints of water having a mass of um, er, 16.25lb

And to be exact if you are talking weight it should be lbf not pounds (and of course Newtons)

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 04/07/2020 08:48:36

Thread: In a pickle?
02/07/2020 11:57:59
Posted by KWIL on 02/07/2020 10:17:17:

"Some day my plinths will come..." wrong song and cartooncrying

No that is the Kodak song, 'Someday my prints will come'

Thread: Copper eating handcleaner
02/07/2020 11:56:53

Looking at the ingredients on the COSHH safety sheet the only ones that look as if they might be the cause are Magnesium Nitrate and Magnesium Chloride, but recalling chemistry from long ago, I don't think either would be an energetic reaction.

Thread: Coronavirus, advice from ME
01/07/2020 17:54:56
Posted by Grindstone Cowboy on 01/07/2020 16:50:29:
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 01/07/2020 10:15:51:

I have few issues from the Second World War and none from the first.

Well, that's good to hear

Well I do - That Mr Hitler was not a nice guy and Kaiser Bill was not much better!

01/07/2020 15:48:59

During the war there was plenty of information regarding things going on - Percival Marshall wrote in the issue of Sept 21st 1939:

'Some of our readers may be wondering what the 'ME' will do during the period of the war. The answer is simple - it will carry on'

Later in the same piece he says that 'many of our readers will be engaged in some form of armaments making or of national service where where mechanical knowledge is required'

He goes on to say that the magazine supported this in the last war, and in fact a series of articles by Edgar T. Westbury were printed on 'Model Engineers and National Service' as well as information on Capstan and automatic lathes that they might come across if working in factories.

LBSC used to include asides in his articles about 'Herr Hitler' and the V1s or 'wommin birds' and how he had to put out an incendiary in his attic, how next door had a bomb hit and also how he used to sit outside the Anderson Shelter with a drawing board on his knees completing articles. He was definitely very pro British - you could tell by his cheeky comments about the Germans, including Goering who was described as fat but owning a model train system (but he still recommended by name tools that were pre-war and German!) He and his wife evacuated for a few weeks and this was also described.

Thread: Thread identification
01/07/2020 11:23:24

It may well be apocryphal but I have heard it suggested that the reason the GPO used (in pre British Telecom days) 3/5/7/9 ba fixings rather that the more common even numbered ones was so that people didn't pinch the bolts etc

An urban myth? Probably!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Allendale Electronics
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest