By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nick Clarke 3

Here is a list of all the postings Nick Clarke 3 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Oxy hydrogen torches
23/05/2019 09:07:37
Posted by James Alford on 23/05/2019 07:16:22:

I needed to do a lot of brazing on a large copper structure, but could not justify the cost of oxygen bottles or the gas. I fabricated a compressed air-propane torch which I ran off from a small compressor. It was no doubt less efficient than oxy-propane, but was still more than powerful enough to braze the structure well.

I made the torch using ideas from the web. It took a while to fine tune it, but the cost was negligible.

James.

Edited By James Alford on 23/05/2019 07:18:03

Interestingly when I first joined a ME society 50 years ago or thereabouts, air/town gas torches were commonplace (as were fearsome paraffin blowlamps) Nowadays, like most other people, I use propane and while for silver soldering it is the bee's knees, it is not hot enough for brazing.

Perhaps a step back in time is not that bad a thing from time to time, especially with the easy availability today of propane and cheap compressors.

Thread: Help a beautiful lady
20/05/2019 09:18:43

Leicester used to be a centre of shoemaking so that may be another 'yellow pages' to search through

Thread: Hobbymat MD200
19/05/2019 18:46:47

I would also suggest that if all are within your price range, the fact that most mini lathes are larger capacity and a more powerful motor than the Sieg C1 might direct you towards them, perhaps.

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 19/05/2019 18:48:02

Thread: Grizzly Beers
19/05/2019 10:22:28

Good luck with the gig - and if you go back another twenty five years before your 1995 I rowed next door at the Nottingham & Union club where my school kept its boats. Thanks for the memory!

Have Fun.

PS Is the 'Tea??' room a suitable place for this post - perhaps we need an 'Ale Bar with music' forum as well?  

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 19/05/2019 10:25:18

Thread: Equipment required
19/05/2019 08:48:50

If we are talking about a new lathe then almost any one will be physically big enough to do the job.

The largest jobs in building a locomotive are wheels, cylinders and trimming the boiler tube (if you intend to build your own boiler)

Taking the modern 'mini' lathe with a swing of 180mm and the largest wheels you will ever encounter on a 2 1/2" loco at say 115mm over the flange there is no problem fitting them on the machine. Outside cylinders will fit easily as well, but where there is a double inside cylinder block it could be more tricky, however if you use a boring bar between centres and fix the block to the crossslide it can be managed. The boiler tube of an express engine may be more of an issue, because of its length, but if you can't fit it careful filing or a visit to someone with a ;larger lathe would be a possibility. choosing a smaller prototype would obviously help.

I fact all of the components of even a 7 1/4" LBSC Tich loco would physically fit on a long bed version of the mini lathe, although the boiler barrel would be a serious squeeze I suspect!

But your problem isn't just fitting the components on the lathe it would be is machine be powerful enough, at slow speeds especially and rigid enough to do the job? Taking care here I suspect anything is possible, but I have to confess it is outside my direct experience.

If you are considering buying a lathe then a bit bigger is definitely better and means less fiddling, and there is more likely to be enough power for the job.

Interestingly in the past there have been smaller lathes of 100mm swing or even less and while these would be too small physically to make an express engine, even in 2 1/2" gauge, if fitted with a back gear would have more than enough power to make a loco with smaller wheels successfully!

Thread: Silvering brass
14/05/2019 19:17:27
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 13/05/2019 10:22:09:

The chemical process starts by making Silver Chloride from Silver Nitrate by adding Common Salt!

This is essentially the same as Fox Talbot's original process for making photographic prints. Soak paper in salt solution and then coat in silver nitrate (or float in a dish of the same) to make Silver Chloride 'in situ'

Its really quite an elegant solution. As Silver Chloride is insoluble in water create it from salt and silver nitrate to give sodium nitrate, which is soluble, and washes off, as the other product.

Albumen printing paper was made in a similar fashion only the albumen (egg white) with salt added was spread on the paper which when dried gave a gloss(ish) finish. The paper was similarly sensitised as above in silver nitrate before use.

To think that through is a true spark of genius!

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 14/05/2019 19:25:51

Thread: Green Grit Wheel
14/05/2019 19:02:21

Have got a cheapie 6" grinder with fine and coarse wheels.

Wondering whether to replace one with a Silicon carbide (green grit) wheel - at present I use coarse and fine standard wheels on HSS and use a hand diamond hone to touch up brazed tipped tools.

If I do replace which do you suggest goes - I use both at present but could either be replaced with the SiC wheel and it be used on HSS as well?

Thanks` in advance.

Nick

Thread: Chinese Lathes
10/05/2019 11:33:26

Looking at the thick layer of brown protective muck on my lathe when I first got it, it had clearly spent a lot of time under a gooseberry bush!

Thread: 1959 Nsu quickly
02/05/2019 13:43:02
Posted by Sam Stones on 01/05/2019 22:44:01:

Apologies Dave, I can add nothing about NSU.

Chris’s mention of Cyclemaster however, brought back a flood of memories. I clocked up many miles on my 32cc version. The main setback was those messy coupling quadrants. Made from a certain grade of rubber, if oil got to them they turned into a squishy, sticky mess.

Just before I sold it in ’56 to make way for the (no longer avoidable) OHMS invitation, I fitted the bike with a ‘long-range’ BSA Winged Wheel pannier-style petrol tank. With a pocket full of rubber quadrants and two tanks, Lands End to John O'Groats was a distinct possibility.

Sam cheeky

Edited By Sam Stones on 01/05/2019 22:45:36

Forty plus years ago I was labouring in a backstreet garage to help pay my way through university. Half buried on the scrap heap was clearly a bike fitted with a BSA Winged Wheel. Does it go? 'Too well' said the owner - 'get it out' and I saw it had a Winged Wheel fitted to each wheel - and it was apparently un-rideable to the point where the garage owner there and then took both the wheels off and dumped them as he reckoned you could not turn any corner without falling off - and he wasn't going to be held responsible!

The good news was that in the same heap was a BSA Bantam which he let me have and I did up as my first bike!

Thread: Removing Flux
02/05/2019 12:30:36

Most acid based brick cleaners appear to be based upon 10%-18% Hydrochloric Acid (sometimes otherwise described as Hydrogen Chloride)

Citric Acid is often cheaper when bought from a shop selling homebrew ingredients.

Thread: A Unique Word?
30/04/2019 08:04:15
Posted by Bill Phinn on 29/04/2019 23:10:10:
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 29/04/2019 22:59:22:

Does this means antecedants are now predators?

Always were, Neil; specifically apex predators of the ursine variety, namely forebears.

🐻

Edited By Bill Phinn on 29/04/2019 23:11:48

Typical inflation - in my day Goldilocks only met three bears!

Thread: Elmdon MES Events 2019
29/04/2019 18:07:42

May Day Bank Holiday Sunday and Monday May 5th and 6th

Public running 12:00 – 3:00, vintage bus rides and transport museum

Elmdon MES **LINK**

Wythall Transport Museum, Chapel Lane, Wythall, Worcestershire B47 6JA **LINK**

Thread: A Unique Word?
27/04/2019 18:00:44
Posted by Guy Lamb on 27/04/2019 12:35:44:

I wonder if anyone on this forum suffered being taught the Initial Training Alphabet (I.T.A.) in the late 60's / 70's

as I did ? The experiment was a dismal failure that condemned many children to a life time of misspelling . Thank heavens for 'speel cheack'

Guy

I joined Junior School in 1964 and did not use it, but my sister a couple of years younger did.

But as computers did not use the 45 character ITA but rather the ASCII character set imported from the US this would probably have killed it from the early 1980s if it had not died out before then.

26/04/2019 13:19:46

If you allow apostrophes then the possessive form of someone called Bess would be Bess's - and similarly for Tess, however at least one online dictionary hyphenates cross-slide.

Another word with multiple esses is the one you use when you are slamming a quick release bench vice shut and you catch your finger in it - sssssssssssssssssssssss!

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 26/04/2019 13:27:15

Thread: Rivets
25/04/2019 09:00:11

At the school model railway club a long time ago we had a visit from a prize winning locomotive model maker who, before the advent of super glue, used to use a tiny blob of paint to hold details like lamp irons onto 00 gauge loco models - until he sent one to be professionally painted and the first thing they did was to degrease it by dumping it in a bath of solvent - when all of the super details promptly fell off!

Thread: One for the Flashers !! ...
25/04/2019 08:51:29
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 25/04/2019 06:44:46:

It reminded me of those weird and wonderful old patents that people enjoy discovering

It reminded me of dear old Victor Blackman writing in Amateur Photographer magazine who used his 'Blackman grubby handkerchief' as a two stop reducer in flash intensity.

Thread: Burgess Sprayit Compressor
24/04/2019 08:24:04

If it is your intention to spray paint with this you will need to use a 'continuous bleed' internal mix spraygun - there is neither the pressure nor the volume to use any other type (except an air brush of course)

As an example the high street store with initials MM only list one only of this type against many that demand more air, so I suspect most sprayguns you see advertised are unlikely to be be suitable. Check first.

With the right gun though, you can obtain a very good finish and I have in the (distant) past sprayed whole cars with one of these.

Thread: Safety of phone chargers
23/04/2019 09:08:16
Posted by Phil Whitley on 22/04/2019 18:08:43:

"As you can see this means that a rewirable fuse is far safer than an MCB," should have added there, "provided it has been rewired with the correct rated fuse wire"

and theres the rub!

Phil

And when it comes to plug fuses they are still available in a choice of ratings 1,2,3,5,7,10,13A - when first introduced as far as I recall even more intermediate values were available - I remember a yellow coloured fuse, but not its value. Does this suggest that even the plug manufacturers want different values to protect the appliance not the cable?

Moving from an Edwardian house with 2,5 and 15A round pin plugs to a new one that my father had built in 1962 or 63 we were presented with a couple of boxes of 13A plugs and a load of different fuses to convert all our existing appliances. I seem to remember the colour code was even moulded into the underside of the MK plugs themselves.

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 23/04/2019 09:16:41

Thread: Where's my Dykem blue gone - there's no need to read this
18/04/2019 12:40:46
Posted by Tim Chambers on 18/04/2019 08:06:04:

Of course you know it will be in the last place you look!😊

So you should always look in the last place first!

Hang on let me think that one through dont know

Thread: Elmdon MES Events 2019
16/04/2019 15:12:48

Elmdon MES **LINK**

Wythall Transport Museum, Chapel Lane, Wythall, Worcestershire B47 6JA **LINK**

Easter Sunday and Monday April 21st and 22nd

Public running 12:00 – 3:00, vintage bus rides and transport museum

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
TRANSWAVE Converters
emcomachinetools
Sarik
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest