By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nick Clarke 3

Here is a list of all the postings Nick Clarke 3 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: 3/16 Cast Iron Rod
28/09/2020 16:39:59
Posted by Brian H on 28/09/2020 16:30:40:

Cast iron welding rods are available in 6mm; the problem will be getting a small quantity, unless you need a box full!

Brian

I didn't realise they were cast iron - I thought they were high nickel steel

28/09/2020 16:21:09
Posted by Pete White on 28/09/2020 14:37:24:

p.s. now we have the whole horse to ride, can I suggest that it doesn't have to be cast iron?

The issue is that it has to be something that doesn't break according to the children's perception, so no plastic, glass or ceramic and that doesn't leave a lot that appears to be unbreakable and strong, but where there is sufficient force as the bar expands or contracts to snap the sample.

28/09/2020 13:41:40

I seem to remember having that stuff at School, experiment to show how steel expands and contracts on cooling. A bar was heated between a couple of fixed points, a test piece of cast iron was slipped into an eye of the bar at one end and as the bar contracted on cooling, it would snap the test piece.

and:-

3/16" cast iron would present great difficulty in manufacture, as it would chill spectacularly and you'd end up with something ferrous that would snap if you looked at it. It would also be extremely difficult to machine. It's simply not practical to make it. Having said that, if some multi-national wanted to produce it by the mile, they'd find a way of doing it.

Is exactly what I would like to use it for, but not at £12 for 6x2" pieces

28/09/2020 10:42:21

Needing some for the day job, is 3/16 (or metric equivalent) cast iron bara commercial product?

Through a scientific equipment supplier it is silly money so am looking to see if an alternative is available

Thread: How to create a hard edge to your steel.
27/09/2020 10:00:21
Posted by not done it yet on 27/09/2020 09:32:57:

I know one fellow that removed what appeared to be a ball bearing from the combustion chamber of an engine which was run for some time (probably an hour or hours) after the valve dropped in. Engine was considered scrap on that one. My engine was repaired and is still in running condition.

I ran a Ford Anglia van which wrecked its engine after a ball bearing fell out of one of those tyre pumps you used to be able to get that screwed into a sparkplug hole. Moaning to the guy I worked a bit for at the garage and he reckoned it was not uncommon. That one was repaired and ran until the next MOT wrote off the van.

Thread: Unusual Project
26/09/2020 13:23:04
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 12/09/2020 14:38:50:

I asked ex-RAF fighter pilot what they were like to fly: 'indescribable' he said, 'you have to experience it'.

Dave

In a similar vein - as a cadet on camp at RAF Wildenrath I asked a Harrier pilot what it was like hovering and I still remember he said it was **** hard work, but " when you need to bang off quickly - 120 knots and drop the nozzles - its the best feeling in the world!"

Thread: Interference
22/09/2020 17:39:23
Posted by Speedy Builder5 on 22/09/2020 14:31:12:

"We'd just advise the public to make sure that their electric appliances are properly certified and meet current British standards," she said.

That sounds a bit daft - it means that we have to change everything for the latest BS. Do I have to upgrade my 1932 Austin 7 to the latest emission regs ? Ahem, I think not.

Actually you do need to comply with the latest emission regs - but these have a section that covers cars like your Austin 7 (emit no visible smoke as far as I recall) - however the fun starts if new legislation does not include clauses to cover an existing situation.

Thread: which older mill to complement a ML7?
20/09/2020 21:13:08

Buying an older mill just because it matches a Myford is in my opinion a terrible reason for choosing a particular mill.

But to choose the best mill that matches your requirements, new, old, new Chinese or English iron is sound common sense.

Sorry, rant over and please don't respond just to shoot me down, but only to help the OP.

Thanks,

Nick

Thread: Rivets
20/09/2020 09:04:13

Thanks Jason - Just what I needed.

(If I had been aware of the term 'setting allowance' I might have found it myself!)

Nick

20/09/2020 08:55:47

Needing to use rivets (Iron & copper in various sizes) for the first time in years - is there anywhere a chart of how much to leave protruding so it hammers neatly into a countersink with a small amount to be removed by filing?

Too much is extra work to remove and too little needs filling or replacing depending on the shortfall.

Thanks,

Nick

Thread: REMOVING STEEL BOILER TUBES
19/09/2020 13:42:00
Posted by JasonB on 19/09/2020 13:18:27:

Quick question for those that have replaced tubes. Does the boiler then need a 2 x WP test and if so do all fittings need to be removed for that and plugged? Then the usual 1.5x WP with it back together and an accumalation test or just the 1.5x?

Jason - as I am neither your, nor the OP's, boiler examiner I cannot give an authoritative answer but the current test code states -

"Any structural modifications shall invalidate the initial shell test and necessitate a re-examination and re-test at TWICE Working Pressure (2xPW) for both copper and steel boilers"

and subject to another opinion from your tester I should consider re-tubing a structural change as the tubes will provide support to the smokebox and firebox tubeplates.

18/09/2020 19:57:25

In ME vol 196 (2002) issue 4267 Dennis Herbert of the Elmdon MES describes the retubing of a 7 1/4" gauge Highlander locomotive with a steel boiler which may help.

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 18/09/2020 19:57:57

Thread: Gloves in a Bottle
18/09/2020 17:25:10

Can't add to the technical talk, but plus one vote for the product!

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
18/09/2020 17:22:04
Posted by martin perman on 18/09/2020 16:16:33:

Dave,

Gald to hear that only your pride has been hurt, the only problem with being banned to ground level is it costs to get somebody in to do what you used to do, I've had Neuropathy in both my feet for the last seven years and its been getting progressively worse and I've found I can no longer use ladders as I cant feel the rungs and its affecting my balance, so hedge cutting, wall paper hanging etc has to be paid for.

Martin P

OK it costs, but do you now mean you have a medical note excusing you from gardening and decorating?

Can't help seeing that as a result! smiley

Take care,

Nick

Thread: Which lathe
18/09/2020 17:13:36

Many of the machines are clones of each other and come from a couple of factories out east.

Once you have decided on the specification to suit you (and taken advice from here amongst other places!) The differences are a few quid here and there and do you have confidence in the supplier. My first machine came from a supplier (not Chester) that got good reviews and was close to where my daughter was at Uni so I could drop in while visiting her. A stupid reason perhaps, but otherwise it was difficult to decide between any of the big names.

I have never regretted it, and have bought a second machine and quite a few bits and pieces from the same place, but the first step was what got me there and the advice I got when things went wrong because of my own stupid fault was superb.

So if Chester rings all the right bells for you, even if someone elsewhere has had an issue, go for it.

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 18/09/2020 17:15:01

Thread: Mystery boiler
12/09/2020 11:16:29
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 12/09/2020 00:01:55:

Hmmm. I think a boiler tester might worry about one or two awkward points. Such as -

Holes not provided with bushes, but tapped straight into the fairly thin copper, and one encroaching on the flange bend - poor practice even in small scales, but I think some of LBSC's designs specified that. BSW is not a good choice of thread for small boiler-fittings - BSP or BSF perhaps, but Whitworth is very coarse for such purposes.

I am wondering if this is an LBSC design, or at least one influenced by him - the tapped plates for fittings and single hole for top feed are distinctive.

It revisits the dilemma imposed by our boiler rules which are primarily concerned with testing rather than design. If a drawing could be found and the tapped holes for fittings were shown on it then a boiler tester would only need to be interested in their condition and could not fail the boiler for not having bushes - even though this is the far better way of going about things.

However if no drawing is available it needs to be designed (including calculations) and made to best practice as it stands today to pass.

Thread: BSF and Whitworth "Across the flats " sizes.
12/09/2020 09:07:37
Posted by Mike Poole on 08/10/2017 22:56:48:

Volkswagen also use odd sizes,

When I used to have an elderly VW Beetle as a daily driver I noticed that any through bolt, not that there were many on a car of course, had a different sized head to the securing nut.

Asking the Beetle expert who did the major works on my car, apparently it was because the early cars came with a full tool kit and of course you don't get two spanners the same size.

Mine, though old, was long past those days, but the practice still prevailed.

Thread: New Moderators
07/09/2020 17:56:29
Posted by Ron Colvin on 07/09/2020 11:05:51:
Bioler is a combination of letters that looks like it should be an actual word. I Google searched it to see if it was, Googles reply, "do you mean boiler".

My first thought on what a bioler could be, was, a musical instrument controlled by biorhythms.

Then I found out that there appears to be a US patent for such a device.

My final conclusion, I spend far too much time Googling trivia.

From the online dictionary

Ler - the personification of the sea and the father of Manannan: corresponds to the Welsh Llyr.

and

bio - a combining form meaning “life”

so a bioler must be a living personification of the sea!

Me, I'm off on the Internet with Ron!

Thread: An interesting consequence of Moore’s Law
02/09/2020 12:50:59
Posted by Oven Man on 02/09/2020 10:57:26:

I wonder if there really is any value in these old style cards or is it just wishfull thinking by another ebayer.

Peter

Well if you have equipment that needs it and there is no alternative - I have a Fostex 8 Track recorder that will only save onto small CF cards and without these it is useless. I have tried to use a CF/ Microl SD adaptor but it is hit and miss as to whether a partiucular card will work in it.

Thread: New Moderators
31/08/2020 22:17:58
Posted by Andrew Johnston on 31/08/2020 22:07:39:
Posted by JA on 31/08/2020 19:55:17:

To be controversial, should a moderator post a profile of himself?

Probably not, it might be like asking Gavin Williamson to mark his own homework. smile

Andrew

While getting students to mark their own work can save effort on the part of their teacher - after more than 35 years in eduecation and training from early years to post graduate and adult ed. I have never yet known any Secretary of State for Education do anything but make extra work for teachers!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
cowells
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest