By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nick Clarke 3

Here is a list of all the postings Nick Clarke 3 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: BBC Micro Boxford TCL125
04/04/2020 17:27:43

While the hardware of a BBC is well documented its entire way of working with peripherals is different to a PC or clone.

There are a number of different interfaces on a BBC Micro and the first this is to discover which one is used bt the Boxford.

Tube - Used to connect a second processor so the least likely however if the Boxford contains a microprocessor it is possible

1MHz bus - used to connect slower peripherals but has a more direct link to BBC hardware so could be.

User port - a general purpose I/O port

Printer - a cut down Centronics interface that may be similar to the 25pin printer port in your PC

bbc.jpg

Is this any use?

BBC hardware is well documented onine

The most likely are the user port (20pin) or printer port (26way)

The 1MHz bus is 34 pin and the Tube 40 pin

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 04/04/2020 17:37:05

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 04/04/2020 17:38:53

Thread: Boxford Lathe résurrection
04/04/2020 14:54:14

A strap wrench like this **LINK** can help to remove a screwed chuck.

When I had dealings with a Boxford a long time ago we used a similar wrench with a leather strap

Thread: Academia.edu
04/04/2020 12:56:18
Posted by Frances IoM on 04/04/2020 11:35:28:
PDFs are based on the earlier Postscript scheme for driving printers - this was known to be Turing complete ie it was fully programmable thus PDF's are inherently capable of embedding what I presume is an interpreter that I guess might try to post messages back to Academia as to readership.

But you needed a Postscript interpreter to run the code - either hardware or software such as Ghostscript

Potentially far nastier is the ability to run code in other languages - a single Google search showed how to embed JavaScript or Python code in a pdf file - and experts in these are probably easier to find than a Postscript coder today.

I didn't need to search past the first page of results to locate these references - I suspect there may also be ways to embed compiled code but I have no intention of looking for them!

Thread: Some help needed with my build
04/04/2020 11:42:54

I would as that is the small ground finish material I have in stock - but others with wider experience (and a wider range of stock!) may make other suggestions.

Thread: How can I use this motor economically?
04/04/2020 11:28:14

eBay has new 2800rpm 1.5HP 3 phase motors at well under £100. OK a bit slower that the present setup but throw in a vfd and would that be a more accessible and more economical way to go?

Thread: Some help needed with my build
04/04/2020 10:58:08

The fork connectors in the magazine article are not really drawn or described - but the holes on the intermediate rocker and at the throttle handle end are 1/8" so your 2mm bolt would be better if 3mm at least. The hole in the throttle arm at the smokebox end is drawn as 3/32" so 2 mm may be OK here.

However what I suspect was intended, although neither indicated on the drawings or described in the text, would be for the holes in the various arms to be reamed to size and case hardened and a close fitting pin turned to suit each one.

Thread: Small drill bit in large drill press?
03/04/2020 09:44:48
Posted by Mike Poole on 02/04/2020 23:15:27:

A large pillar drill with a small bit will have problems with speed and feel, speed is not too much of a problem but feeling the bit is, a useful accessory is one like this from Arceurotrade **LINK** this will give you the feel that will help avoid breaking the drill bit.

Mike

ARC are closed but Chronos and Warco both sell a similar item

Thread: Griptru wil not ad just
02/04/2020 14:06:51

There was a short (1 page) article in ME when these were introduced (Sept 1954).

Basically slack off the screws in the front (jaw) side of the chuck slightly to enable it to be adjusted. If the chuck is fitted to a back plate do not touch those holding the chuck to the backplate. If it screws direct onto the lathe mandrel the screws on the front only connect the two halves of the chuck together, they are not part of the fitting to the lathe.

If you like PM me and I'll dig it out and scan the page.

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 02/04/2020 14:08:23

Thread: Source of Small Extension Springs
02/04/2020 09:59:27

As a film camera collector I have been inside many and that is very small (ie never seen one less than 3/32 dia and rarely that) even for that usage.

EDIT had a quick look at a few exploded diagrams of cameras - (Kodak, Nikon FE, Spotmatic) and found nothing. There appears to be one in a Minox Spy camera under the frame counter according to the diagram but you are not having mine!

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 02/04/2020 10:07:24

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
01/04/2020 10:28:47

Lainchy you have a PM

Thread: Arc Euro and Coronavirus
31/03/2020 12:57:21

Ketan -

Friday evening, after ARC had closed I ordered a couple of things from the website and Saturday mid-morning I saw they had been dispatched by Parcelforce.

They have just been left in the porch.

I can only say that to get the goods this soon (Parcelforce is an economy, 2-3 day service at the best of times) under the current circumstances, and over a weekend, just shows the professionalism we have both from you and your team and also Parcelforce.

Take care, and as soon as you are confident that you are safe to resume trading let us know as I am certain I will need some other bits by then!

Nick

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 31/03/2020 12:58:45

Thread: Smokebox front ring for Tich ???
30/03/2020 20:02:57

From LBSC instructions for 'Netta'

sbox.jpg

Thread: New Burrells??
30/03/2020 11:14:24

Reading an old edition of ME dated 1/11/1963 there is an article about someone who bought all the Burrell spares, drawings etc from Garratts and were proposing to build new engines as well.

Did anything ever come of this?? I somehow doubt it, but is there anyone with more information out there?

Nick

Thread: Buying online delivery problems.
29/03/2020 11:17:25

Has anyone seen quoted anywhere what is the survival time of the virus away from an infected host, say a parcel or indeed a cat who has been coughed or sneezed on??

Thread: Big lumps of Cast Iron
26/03/2020 20:36:09

College Engineering Supply in Tipton in the West Midlands list 150mm and 200mm square

**LINK**

Thread: 7 pin connector 240v?
26/03/2020 18:24:03
Posted by Martin Kyte on 26/03/2020 15:25:26:

It is amazing the things you do in your youth though. Three of us used to run Disco's as teenagers starting off in the local Scout hut. Early light show was driven by a motor driving a set of cams operating microswitches leading off to various 3 way spot banks etc. Well we wanted a 3 colour spot bank down the other end of the hut and had no multicore let alone connectors. Solution. Three lives sent down an ordinary mains extension cable one channel on each pin. Pick up the Neutral and Earth from a handy mains socket on the far end wall and Bobs yer uncle, Charlies yer aunt and Fanny's in the air force as they say.

Make you cringe now doesn't it.

regards Martin

At Uni in the seventies all of the halls of residence had hall parties and I was one of the student techs who provided lights, sound and sometimes projection.

None of the extension leads we used (all 13A plugs and sockets) had fuses fitted these were only in the adaptors from Wylix plugs which were the standard in the Halls. So if a fuse blew you traced the lead(s) back to the Wylix socket and you knew that was where the fuse had blown. Saved checking each lead in a line of several.

Technically this became possible after a previous student had discovered that one of the materials testing machines in the materials lab used samples 3/16" diameter and the right length to fit in a 13A plugtop!

Even us students were never able to blow 3/16" dia mild steel fuses. At least not in my time...……… devil

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 26/03/2020 18:24:46

26/03/2020 18:14:21
Posted by John Haine on 26/03/2020 16:33:55:

a miniature Bulgin type connector - this was about a half-scale version of the old 1" diameter bulgin connectors that were often used for the mains lead on various instruments, hifi etc before IEC connectors came along. However the small Bulgin was actually designed to carry mains and certain equipment actually used it for that so there were mains leads around with 13A plugs on one end and the miniature Bulgin plug on the other

Horrible things they were too. They were used, amongst others for the mains input on Ferrograph Series 7 Reel-to-reel tape recorders and Quad 303 and 50E amplifiers.

Very difficult to wire up, very limited strain relief so wires kept breaking and needing to be re-soldered and virtually impossible to sleeve the connections inside the plug - which in my case used to be solder first wire and sleeve it, solder second wire and get the sleeving on only with great difficulty and solder the third wire without sleeving as there was no room and irrespective of which connector it was.

Thinking about it for the first time in years and shuddering, it would be easier today using heatshrink that the Hellerman sleeving I used to use than.

Thread: Websites for the Bored
25/03/2020 12:48:22

One of my favourite places to visit on the annual family pilgrimages by road to the Adriatic in the 60s and 70s (father the only driver!) was the Deutsches Museum in Munich.

Deutsches Museum

Click on the Union Flag in the top right hand corner of the screen if it does not automaticall sense your location and English as a language choice.

Collections was my first stop on the site followed by Exhibitions

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 25/03/2020 12:50:16

Thread: The Home Workshop Dictionary - FREE E-BOOK
25/03/2020 11:21:59

Bought it a bit back but there seems to be a few words missing - for example under Blank you have defined

(1) A circular metal form, the starting point for machining many circular parts. (2) A sheet-metal part to be finished by further working such as punching.

Where is the definition for Blank I have picked up the hot end of the silver solder and Blank I have dropped that casting on my foot?

And no doubt many, many more!

Seriously though - A very generous gesture Neil. We all need as much as possible to keep our minds on normality and what we enjoy doing in these strange and worrying times!

Thread: Boxford AUD clutch
24/03/2020 15:31:19

Never felt the need either when I used to use a Boxford regularly, but thinking about the design of the headstock now I suspect I should begin by investigating the availability of motors with the clutch built in as used on industrial sewing machines due to lack of space elsewhere on the Boxford *UD lathes for a clutch.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Allendale Electronics
Ausee.com.au
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest