By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nick Clarke 3

Here is a list of all the postings Nick Clarke 3 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Allchin 1.1.2" boiler
06/11/2019 17:47:29

It is an interesting position to be in - we know nowadays that there are better ways of doing things, but if we do things differently to the design drawings when does it become a different design and calculations etc need to be produced?

Just curious!

06/11/2019 12:48:17
Posted by Bob Worsley on 06/11/2019 11:37:47:

As far as I can see the throatplate needs flanging on the sides backwards into the firebox and forwards into the barrel. This makes for an interesting shape to the copper where the backwards flange meets up with the forwards flange. Must be possible, I imagine all loco type boilers have this double bend at this point, but can't find a photo of one in my limited collection of books.

Not necessarily. This is the drawing of LBSC's Tich loco throatplate, although admittedly some boiler designs do have the 'forwards and backwards' flanges you describe.

tich throatplate.jpg

Thread: My really awful week!
06/11/2019 10:31:22
Posted by Phil Whitley on 05/11/2019 20:46:03:

........ I have actually been dancing to the radio ( well thats what I call it anyway!)

If you don't call it a radio what do you call it? dont know

Thread: new computer
04/11/2019 11:47:48

Sorry Douglas - our posts must have crossed!

Thread: Metal supplies
03/11/2019 19:10:10

Not far from me. Very helpful and nice people.

Thread: new computer
03/11/2019 19:07:45

I have been a very satisfied customer of these people for a long time - they have taken over the Morgan Computers business. Most recently an A1 reconditioned iPad **LINK**

Remember a new system will probably have Win10 installed perhaps unlike your present one - many people don't like this and some of your present software may need updating, but with win7 going out of support it is hard to recommend a different version if you are going down the Microsoft route.

Thread: The Great Escape
03/11/2019 13:00:24
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 03/11/2019 12:43:28:

I remember reading about someone cutting through iron bars using thread wetted and dipped in sandy dust off the floor. Took ages so the cut was disguised with more dirt.

That was how jade carvers cut the extremely hard jade.

Thread: Lathe chuck guards - how many folk use them?
01/11/2019 10:59:05
Posted by David Davies 8 on 31/10/2019 15:44:31:

Hijacking the thread slightly, what does one do about guarding a shaper, which is possibly more dangerous than the above mentioned horizontal milling machine?

I don't have a shaper, but used to use one regularly at a previous club. A magnificent beast, it would take on jobs that the millers wouldn't touch - but it was too easy to listen to the rhythmic cutting and be distracted by conversations and other things happening in the workshop during a longer cut.

A hacksaw machine (mounted UNDER a bench!) was another tool that could be set working and then left to get on with it on its own with less attention than it perhaps deserved.

So to add to the take care and use common sense advice I would add pay attention!

Thread: Stephensons Valve Gear
29/10/2019 12:16:32
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 28/10/2019 23:34:08:

It is safe to say we cannot now build steel boilers without being coded welders and using certified materials, with all the entailed rigmarole and costs. We don't want dissatisfied boiler inspectors!

Like Duncan above, never let it be said that I am at all pedantic, but however without differing at a practical level, the boiler code does not quite say this.

Para 6.2 says that "If welding is undertaken by anyone who is not a coded welder the inspector shall require that weld samples be made available for inspection and testing prior to the commencement of the welding of the boiler, or that the welder should have proof of test pieces being satisfactorily tested within the twelve months prior to the jointing being undertaken. Weld samples shall be tested by appropriate testing laboratories."

In practical terms it would probably be beyond the reach of most of us to meet the conditions required, but also note that steel is not mentioned and with TIG machines available on the High Street, complying with the code would imply that this applies to TIG welded copper too.

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 29/10/2019 12:18:19

Thread: Jacobs model 6414 chuck - removal
28/10/2019 13:33:06

If yours is the same model chuck as on this Wolf Cub drill this link shows you how to remove the chuck at about 6 mins in.

**LINK**

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 28/10/2019 13:37:02

Thread: Coke for brazing purposes
23/10/2019 16:18:37
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 23/10/2019 10:02:58:
Is coke generally available? Last time I looked to buy some it was unobtainium in small quantities. (I did find a local coal merchant selling it by the ton.)

This is where I have seen it - close to me, but perhaps not to you.

LINK

Nick

23/10/2019 09:26:08

In older copies of the magazines it was always mentioned to pack work being brazed well with coke before brazing with paraffin blowlamps. Even as recent as the earlier Don Young and Tubal Cain articles.

Is there any reason why this is not used today? (or is it?) as coke or breeze is still available and as a way to generally heat a workpiece together with more localised heating it seems like it could still be useful.

Thread: Internet searching
17/10/2019 13:54:57

And I do know the actual answer!! smiley

17/10/2019 13:54:21

Michael -

I wonder what would happen if you typed 'Michael Gilligan internet search' in as an internet search?

Would it never stop incrementing itself?? dont know

Thread: What are these pliers for
15/10/2019 11:40:57

Looking at the slits in the jaws I think they would also work to insert a connector on the end of a wire into a receptacle, the wire passing through the jaws - I used these in this manner for car bullet connectors a long time ago.0-004-00.jpg

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 15/10/2019 11:42:49

Thread: Cheap ER collet advice please
14/10/2019 09:54:24
Posted by Baz on 14/10/2019 09:35:18:

I am sure that it’s been said before but I feel it needs repeating, you get what you pay for, pay next to nowt and you will get rubbish, pay a good price and you will get good stuff, pay top dollar and you get top quality.

I think the other posts here suggest a slight modification to this sweeping statement - With items at the lower end of the market you cannot assume you are going to get an accurate quality product while with a branded one you ought to be able to.

Unfortunately in today's world you don't know where any product is manufactured and you may get an adequate or good item for little money, CNC makes it as easy to make something accurately as not, but at this point in the market quality control may pass out some that are not acceptable.

However by paying more the name on the box does not always guarantee quality. Trade names and brands are bought and sold and applied to items manufactured elsewhere. You can usually get an improved product from a branded supplier or manufacturer should you have an item you are not satisfied with, but it appears that some bargain brands are also doing this now.

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 14/10/2019 10:00:49

Thread: Resistance Soldering question
13/10/2019 12:15:03

Are the tips on your soldering plier removable or replaceable?

If so could you make two fine pointed tips to be applied applied to the larger piece, on one side of the joint? This would need to be held in contact with the smaller one of course.

Single sided spotwelding is sometime done in car repair, but at far higher temperatures of course.

Thread: Changing internet providers
11/10/2019 17:48:48
Posted by Brian Sweeting on 11/10/2019 16:18:41:

I have found that some manufacturers technical websites that I used would not allow me to register with the Gmail account because they like a "real" address as against a web based service .

And this is also useful if you are looking for sample electronic components - many manufacturers will go out of their way to support designers.

Thread: Increasing depth of field on a lens
09/10/2019 11:21:19
Posted by not done it yet on 09/10/2019 10:25:10:

C’mon, boys ‘n’ girls, you cannot change the focal length of any given lens. It is fixed. You can alter the focal length by adding other lenses in the system but the focal length of any single lens is reliant on its curvature.

True, but the OP's question was "Is it possible in theory to add a lens or lens combo to increase the depth of field to the existing lens?"

09/10/2019 09:54:10
Posted by Michael Gilligan on 09/10/2019 08:56:10:
dont know
To the best of my knowledge, Nick ... an additional positive lens will reduce the focal length of the prime lens.

If I am missing your point, then would you kindly explain.

MichaelG.

Apologies Michael - got my positives and negatives the wrong way round - but my post was about the practicalities of changing focal length so this is the corrected version:-

In theory it is possible to change the focal length of a lens, but only at the expense of changing all of the optical properties of the device.

The (approximate) depth of field of a lens is inversely proportional to the focal length squared, so by adding a second lens the DOF will be changed as the focal length changes. Adding a negative lens will increase the focal length and so decrease the DOF. If you add a second positive lens you will decrease the focal length and hence increase the DOF, but the magnification and the whole geometry of the setup will change. Almost certainly not worth it.

The classic work I use in a photographic context is Photographic Optics by Cox

The formula concerned is 1/Focal length 1 + 1/Focal length 2 = 1/Focal length 1+2

I hate inverse formulae!!

Take care, Nick

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Meridienne; London MES
cowbells
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
Eccentric Engineering
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest