By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nick Clarke 3

Here is a list of all the postings Nick Clarke 3 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: The bomb in the workshop
24/01/2021 10:30:24

And another

**LINK**

24/01/2021 09:51:25

The drain plug seized in a 'high street' compressor I had had for 20 years or so. After ignoring it for a few years, like the OP, I ended up turning it on its back (it was oil-less) cutting the drain plug off and using an easy out and a bit of local heat to get it out. Turning it right way up only a dribble of very rusty water came out but that was sufficient to make me think and so it went out to the bottom of the drive where within 10 minutes an Eastern European gentleman in a white Transit took it away.

I bought a replacement with a slightly higher spec to that of the old one from the same high street supplier for a lower actual price than the original. Quality seems about the same, but the peace of mind from scrapping the old one, which after 20 years owed me little, was immense.

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 24/01/2021 09:52:35

Thread: Model boiler safety calculations
24/01/2021 09:35:27

This bit from Keith Wilson's description of his Bulldog/Dukedog boiler may be of interest (ME 16/5/80)

boiler.jpg

A subsequent letter suggested the value of 5000 be substituted for the 7000 above.

I wonder if the relative safety of model boiler designs is down to the high factor of safety, rather than detailed design.

Thread: How not to use a clamp
23/01/2021 12:15:38
Posted by Circlip on 23/01/2021 12:02:42:

"Them as can do and them as can't teach" Yep, brilliant philosophy, but let's not forget, SOME can do both, gained from years of the former while retaining most of their soft bits intact.

Regards Ian.

And while not relevant to this post the last two parts muttered under our breath as students on a 4 year B.Ed course were and those that can't teach, teach teachers, and those that can't teach teachers teach on philosophy of education courses.

Totally slanderous of course ......

Thread: Shipping delays and costs
22/01/2021 14:23:40
Posted by Douglas Johnston on 22/01/2021 14:17:32:

I feel sorry for those people who are just getting started with a workshop. I think we are now past the heyday in terms of cost and availability. Perhaps things will improve but I for one am glad I have all the machines I will ever need (well perhaps not entirely! )

Doug

Shame on you Doug - and if you ever let SWMBO know you are in trouble forever! smiley

21/01/2021 19:48:10

Ketan -

Your posts here are always friendly and yet at the same time totally professional.

While all of your present and future customers would prefer you to give your products away, seriously I think most of us would choose for prices to rise in along with your costs (and the need for you to make a living!) so that your business may thrive for many years to come!

When I returned to model engineering a couple of years ago all of my big purchases came from you - big to me, but small when compared to many others I suspect, but I still received superb service and advice, even when it was me making the mistakes.

You know your business and know what kind of hit you can take, but for all of us customers please make certain you are here in 1, 5 or even 10 years time.

Take care, and thank you

Nick

Thread: Silverline long reach air tool for Top/Crosslide mounting
21/01/2021 15:37:35
Posted by old mart on 21/01/2021 15:05:32:

I bought one of the Silverline extended nose air die grinders and have been very pleased with it. I believe the extended shank is 3/4" diameter, just a little bit bigger than the chuck at the end. It comes with 1/4" ans 1/8" collets and I have just got 6mm and 3mm collets through the post today.

Where did you obtain the extra collets from?

Thanks, Nick

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
21/01/2021 15:35:08
Posted by Neil Wyatt on 21/01/2021 15:09:14:

All good fun, but at least I'm street legal

Neil

And what about the car? smiley

Thread: Model boiler safety calculations
20/01/2021 18:12:36
Posted by duncan webster on 20/01/2021 16:11:26:

Dave, if girder crown stays are not banned they are allowed, there is no room for inference in standards. You just need to justify them

Edited By duncan webster on 20/01/2021 16:14:26

A long time ago when Simplex was first being described in ME and the suggestion that girder crown stays were an issue was being discussed a letter was published in the magazine from Reg V Wood on behalf of the AMBSC basically saying that they did not disagree with plate stays as such - rather that they were unhappy with the factor of safety used in the boiler design. (vol 143 issue 3558)

Of course that was years ago, and things have almost certainly changed since then, but the type of stay was not originally an issue.

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 20/01/2021 18:13:10

20/01/2021 14:39:06

Dave Wooton - PM for you next time you log in.

Nick

18/01/2021 18:50:51

As far as I recall there were a few formulas in later editions of the Model Engineer Plans Handbook 3 but these seem to go for very silly money online.

But I suspect that formulas were less important than ‘rule of thumb’ and experience. Here are some instances from old ME magazines – and through old ‘grandfather’ rights they could possibly still be built today (not that I would!)

‘The boiler (for a 3 ½” loco) was made from 18g copper as I had some in’ (LBSC Canterbury Lamb, describing Grosvenor’s boiler)

‘The stays were made from 1/8” copper unwound from electrical cable I was given’ (LBSC again)

Another author made alterations to a 7 1/4" boiler design in the very next instalment and then published a design with further revised staying in the instalment after that (Martin Evans, Highlander design)

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 18/01/2021 18:51:48

Thread: Pansy Cylinder Drain Cocks
18/01/2021 14:45:07

This is the arrangement of the lubricator

lubricator.jpg

As for the drain cocks they would need to be in the end covers, but as far as I can see there was no provision made for them in the original design.

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 18/01/2021 14:49:58

Thread: Pressure Gauge feed
18/01/2021 13:26:42
Posted by JasonB on 18/01/2021 13:19:28:

See item 6.6 of the test code, many older designs will need to be altered to allow this, best speak to whoever is going to be testing the boiler.

That section of the test code refers to water gauges, not pressure gauges. AFAIK there is no issue fitting a pressure gauge to a manifold. It is frequently done that way.

Thread: Disposable Gas Bottles
16/01/2021 11:43:46

I have seen them used as vacuum reservoirs for 7 1/4" rolling stock but as an alternative if you ran a saw through the middle, cutting them in two, are they then just scrap steel and no longer pressure vessels or gas bottles?

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 16/01/2021 11:43:59

Thread: Machining Brass
14/01/2021 17:22:02
Posted by larry phelan 1 on 14/01/2021 16:59:22:

In that case, I must be one of the most experienced metal bashers on the planet !

Started off with a small scrap box, the current one is almost big enough to hold the lathe.

Shh! don't say that - or no matter what lathe it is, someone will post that's where it belongs! devil

Thread: Back issues & Flash plugin
14/01/2021 11:39:50
Posted by Gene Pavlovsky on 14/01/2021 11:09:45:

Every browser has tons of security issues as well, as well as the underlying OS.

Most HTML5 developers I talked to, who had to switch from Flash, agree things mostly worked better and were easier to develop with Flash. Dealing with 3+ different browsers is a huge pain in the ass. I think Flash could have been way better than any current browser stuff, if Adobe would just made it open source and let people advance it.

OS's are developed and security issues are addressed during their service life but they do not have to cope with active content coming from unknown sources making the issues with Flash (and Postscript, JavaScript and even HTML5) more of a problem.

Regarding the open source question, while an enthusiast for it (2 of the four laptops by me now run Linux) the developer's job might possibly be even more difficult if they had to face a multitude of different rendering engine variants, even with access to the source code.

14/01/2021 10:55:27
Posted by Paul Lousick on 13/01/2021 22:19:00:

Adobe has has always suggested to update to their latest version for security reasons. Is there a security risk when viewing Flash files ?

This site lists over a thousand **LINK**

Thread: Cleaning copper rivets.
13/01/2021 20:30:52
Posted by br on 13/01/2021 19:42:18:

Anybody know the EXACT rules on sulphuric acid purchasing?

One google site says illegal tobuy if notc in the trade and you need a licence.

Ebay - oneshot , no problem at all - just bought some a few moments ago as this thread reminded me it was needed.

The link in my post is .gov.uk so is probably as close to definitive as you can easily get - but as fizzy says a lot of people sidestep the law by calling it something else or totally ignore it as I suspect the ebay seller does.

Thread: Interest in pictures of models
13/01/2021 19:33:57
Posted by Oily Rag on 12/01/2021 22:15:20:

My mum stopped me looking at pictures of models when I was 14!

And I suggest putting 'pictures of models' into a search engine on a work computer is fraught with issues as well!

Thread: Cleaning copper rivets.
13/01/2021 19:31:30

Citric acid, vinegar, drain cleaner all legal, but sulphuric acid 15% w/w or stronger (I still can't get used to calling it sulfuric) is deemed to be an explosives precursor and cannot be bought or kept without a Govt. Licence.

**LINK**

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest