By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nick Clarke 3

Here is a list of all the postings Nick Clarke 3 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Tich vs. Juliet
16/09/2019 08:06:55

While totally agreeing with the comments regarding the boiler capacity, LBSC being LBSC the parts are all pretty much the same size as on any other of his locos and are built to the same tolerances (ie none on the drawings) as any other of his locos. The original general arrangement was by Leslie Clarke and LBSC added 'the works' - saying in print that it was intended for people who had stocks of 2 1/2" parts and the equipment to build locos for that gauge.

The materials costs are far smaller and one could be built on a lathe even smaller than the 'standard' 7x10 chinese lathe and the boiler made using far less heat - in fact apart from truing the end of the boiler barrel even the 7 1/4" version from Kennions could be built on a small lathe!

The best loco for a beginner is always going to be the one that they want to build, they can afford, they have access to the tooling for and that can be transported with the means available - one american Tich owner claims to carry his on as cabin baggage when flying to different tracks!

Thread: C.A.V Dynamo Question?
14/09/2019 19:11:59

Martin personal message waiting for you

14/09/2019 14:45:30
Posted by martin perman on 11/09/2019 20:02:36:

I will make an educated guess and suggest it was made in the 70's as I served my apprenticeship with Lucas CAV and the Diesel fuel injectors where I worked were made and fitted with similarly designed spec plates.

Martin P

Would that be in Sudbury?

Thread: The Workshop Progress Thread 2019
13/09/2019 12:49:17

Something to physically attract their attention instantly perhaps? smiley

images.jpg

(From Akira Kurosawa's film 'Throne of Blood' - Macbeth retold with samurai)

Thread: CRT Free!
13/09/2019 12:25:48

I believe that CRT tubes are heavily leaded to prevent radiation leakage.

This a commercial site who talk about recycling CRTs Link

Thread: Steam Hammer identification
12/09/2019 16:22:07
Posted by JasonB on 12/09/2019 08:58:49:

It's a good size more like the Breisch one with some nice detail in the fine adjustment for the hammer stroke.

There have been several designs for steam hammers published looking through the index so it may well be based on one of those but my collection of mags does not go back to the very early ones. At that time the maker would more than likely made their own pattern and easily found a local foundry to cast the parts.

LBSC as one of his 'Make a steam toy for the kids at Christmas' models gave a freelance design for a simple steam hammer to use as a nut cracker - sometime in the fifties.

After the sherries and brandies etc I can see a queue at A&E forming - Good job there were no breathalisers in those days!

Thread: Myford lathe identification
09/09/2019 14:49:26

You appear to have shown a nice lathe with accessories and the price realised will be for that.

The steadies are quite rare and go for silly money, so you might realise about the same for the lathe with just the accessories but without the steady which would go for a lot of money on its own.

Just an observation.

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 09/09/2019 14:50:18

08/09/2019 15:56:37

V159910 would be an ML10 or Speed10 from 1985-1988 according to the Myford Website. https://www.myford.co.uk/acatalog/Serial_Numbers.html

Is that the number?

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 08/09/2019 15:58:42

Thread: Painting and Finishing
05/09/2019 20:44:45

A denibbing file is useful for sorting the run you did not want just there!

Denibbing File

Thread: Need help with wiring
04/09/2019 16:51:43

Older 3 brush dynamos can be converted into motors quite easily. As has already been pointed out this id a Lucas 2 brush dynamo which cannot be used as a motor without major changes, and even then they are not very good as motors.

As the dynamo appears to be in a loco chassis - Has it run in the past or is it a new installation? If a new installation I would not start with trying to use this dynamo as a motor. If it has run successfully in the past to bring three wires out (+the body as earth, which could be either positive or negative) you need to know exactly what was done to the device, up to possibly a full rewind and separate excitation of the field coils, before you can attempt to find the correct connections.

Alternately try a few different ones and be prepared for it to do nothing, burn out the device or controller, cause a fire or work - those are the options.

Thread: Help choosing a Chinese lathe please
03/09/2019 16:37:13

I have the SC3 and also a micro milling machine from ArcEuro.

Had an issue (self inflicted) when setting up the mill. Rang Arc late on a Friday. Sorry you need to speak to ……… Can you ring back at about 9:30 tomorrow? (Saturday) Rang back then ………. answered to phone, told me what to do, did not call me an idiot (although on reflection I had been one)

I know that if I ring back about the mill or the lathe I will get the answer - either there and then or when the right guy is there, rather than someone trying to guess to help me out.

That's worth hundreds to me - and the prices were the best as well!

Thanks Ketan, you might be able to guess who ………. is - but every dealing I have had with Arc Euro has been equally successful for me.

Nick

Thread: Mains power supply for 12v dc motor
30/08/2019 22:09:29

I use either a bench psu from as CB radio set or a transformer that originally powered a scalextric set, whichever I grab first.

I don't know if the CB or scalextric makes me older - I don't like to admit to either.

Thread: Parting Off
30/08/2019 19:31:50

Michael -

Sussed it out I think. I copied the original link in Martin's Post and inserted it as a link in a new post. When inserting the link I used the original link with typo as the descriptive text - but when adding a link in this forum you only need to put the part after the http:// as URL as it preceeds it with http:// automatically when you fill in the form to add a link. It seems to assume the protocol always ends with :// So Martin's link on the post, with a typo was just text on the screen. The URL it pointed to was correct.

So if you click on the link it will take you to the right place. If you copy and paste in anything but Safari on an iPad it will also do so, but not there. Even more interestingly if you have google installed on the iPad it will open a search result - but the first video it suggests is the one wanted.

Even curiouser I think.

Take care,

Nick

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 30/08/2019 19:37:00

30/08/2019 18:46:33

Well tried it on the other systems and on every combination of OS and browser it automatically corrects http;// to http://

Just all part of life's rich pageant (As Inspector Clouseau remarked on getting out of the pond again frown)

30/08/2019 18:18:13

Michael - I only realised there was a typo in the original post after posting the link again, but what puzzles me is that I only knew it was wrong when ega pointed it out as even with the typo it worked OK in Edge on Win10, I have just tried Chrome and IE on the same m/c and Safari on the Mac and on all of them it corrects the mistake and loads the page fine, as it does in Android on my phone.

I have not got a Firefox, Chromium Pi or Linux machine up here but I am intrigued so I will check them when I go downstairs, just for my own satisfaction. As the saying goes - To err is human, but to really screw it up just get a computer!! smiley

Take care,

Nick.

30/08/2019 17:59:53

http;//youtu.be/-RZRq0olsxM

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
30/08/2019 13:34:48

It must be hard to dismiss it as just paranoia when they are sending fast jets out to get you ............. 😀

Thread: Lathe steady position
30/08/2019 13:25:38

Neil - wouldn’t a hole higher up the steady move it towards the lead screw not away??

Thread: Thread Gauges
30/08/2019 10:52:13
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 30/08/2019 09:02:10:
  • Taken as a whole, by 1930 the sheer number of incompatible threads were a major obstacle to trade. This came to a head during WW2 when joint US/British military operations were compromised because American Nuts, Bolts and Spanners were incompatible with their very similar British equivalents. Supply of spares was complicated and repairs delayed. Such a mess, that the USA and British switched to a common system, the main feature of which is a 60° thread. In consequence, Whitworth faded from mainstream use since 1940 and is now rarely found. (Except on heritage machinery.)

My Granddad had some American spanners in his shed that apparently came from his time in the RAF in WW2. He said that when Merlin engines came from this country you got an engine, but if it was a American built one it came with a full tool kit and spanners - presumably because of this incompatibility. (real or imagined I suppose)

Because each and every US engine came with the tool kit everyone in the hangar ended up with one when the F/Sgt wasn't looking!

Thread: Parting Off
30/08/2019 08:32:09

Thanks for that link Martin - it clearly shows how a tool in a rear tool post or upside down in the normal one 'springs' away from work as against 'jamming' when set up in the normal way better than just using the words as I did. A picture says a thousand words and a youtube video can often be even clearer!!

It is a shame that the computer simulation shows a tool so far above the centre though, as that makes the problem bigger than in real life.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
Meridienne oct 2019
Eccentric July 5 2018
TRANSWAVE Converters
Advertise With Us
Eccentric Engineering
Warco
emcomachinetools
Allendale Electronics
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest