By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Nick Clarke 3

Here is a list of all the postings Nick Clarke 3 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Laptop with a SD card slot
14/04/2021 08:22:45

While normally I would not recommend any one brand above another - all of the major brands have produced good quality kit and so for me it comes down to specification, price and availability - but the only laptop I ever had to scrap prematurely was a consumer level Dell where the multi ball array that the processor sat on went faulty just out of warranty and was non repairable.

Thread: 4662
14/04/2021 08:14:57

Ditto - here in Brum

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
13/04/2021 14:01:56
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 12/04/2021 20:33:56:

Clue is in 'Page Description Format', the files are printable rather than editable.

Dave

pdf actually stands for 'Portable Document Format' and while readers are free the format was originally a proprietary one, developed by Adobe, and based on their 'Postscript' page description language to enable documents to be produced using paid for software but read using free readers on a range of different devices.

Thread: Laptop with a SD card slot
13/04/2021 10:30:34
Posted by Henry Brown on 12/04/2021 12:36:44:

Yes, it may have to be the way forward Steve but what a faff! I use my laptop on my lap so anything that has to be added or sticks out is a nuisance tbh, The one I nearly bought has 4 USB ports and numerous others, however most Creality 3D printers use SD (my adventures into wireless/Octoprint are away off) as does my camera so an SD card would be preferred.

My Creality Ender 3 came with a micro SD card and also a USB reader that just slots into a full sized USB port - no cable, no nothing - did you get one too?

12/04/2021 17:40:26
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 12/04/2021 15:01:34:

Most worrying is my kids are starting to complain technology is leaving them behind too...

Dave

In my experience, no matter how old said children are the solution always appears to be an injection of Dad cash laugh

Thread: Hobbymat MD65
12/04/2021 14:48:47
Posted by roy entwistle on 12/04/2021 10:56:08:

Forget WD40 get some Plusgas ideally the liquid not the spray

Roy

+1 for Plus Gas Liquid (Now in a black tin not the traditional blue) - WD40 is at best a spray lubricant and water repellent, not a dismantling fluid

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
12/04/2021 14:35:02

Nigel -

When a .pdf file is created in Adobe Acrobat the author has the option to prevent copying of text as text - only as an image as you have found - so it may be the .pdf that is the issue not you, particularly if you have done it successfully in the past.

There may well be a way round the document security, however I have never yet had the need to do so, so I can only suggest Google.

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 12/04/2021 14:38:17

Thread: MS 'Edge' - Points and Pitfalls?
11/04/2021 10:14:51

I have been using Edge since Win 10 first came out, both at home and professionally teaching and have had no issues that are unreasonable, even if some might not be my first choice. The odd exceptions are that with an update it has several times reset my page on opening Edge to the default one (but not reset the home page) and on one update the schema for security changed and so all of the choices had to be remade. Edge was originally Win 10 only, but has recently become available for Win 7 - if downloaded it could be installed, but it would not be installed by a Win 7 system automatically, as it now is.

Internet Explorer is too out of date to be recommended and many sites do not respond to it. A point to remember is that a clean install of Win 7 puts an even older version of IE on and this has to be updated or replaced before some other updates will install.

Chrome used to be my browser of choice but over the last year I have been encountering more and more sites that will not respond to it.

Chromium on the Raspberry Pi is reliable, although with some sites it selects the mobile phone version for some reason.

Opera, which should have the best support for HTML5, being developed by some members of that team has never appealed, although I could not tell you why.

Firefox I use on Linux boxes (and also portable apps) because I have had issues with Chrome not installing correctly with some distros when Chrome has been added in addition to the standard software setup. It is also my browser of choice for XP systems.

Of course on the Macs and iPads there is always Safari, but I am not a sufficiently major user of these devices to assess tit in depth.

Finally Lynx is a text only browser I installed when setting up an MsDOS system recently (I was playing - OK?) and while the results in today's graphically rich internet were sometime strange, it did work.

The bottom line for me is to accept that differing operating systems come with different browsers and the default choice is rarely a problem, and never as bad as 'people' will suggest and that if it does not suit Firefox or Chrome will often be valid options. This Win 10 system has Edge, Chrome, Firefox and IE installed although 99.9% of the timer I use Edge.

Thread: Myford Super 7 spanner sizes
10/04/2021 14:33:35
Posted by not done it yet on 10/04/2021 14:05:26:

I’m like, and agree with, Hopper - better to source sockets and spanners at car boot sales where one can be selective on the make. I only select britool sockets from the collections. And I do know that Britool is no longer made in Britain.

I still have the set of ring spanners I bought in the 1960s for maintaining my Honda motorcycles - even though they are spread around my toolboxes these days. A lot of my tools have been used to their usual limit (and likely a bit in excess) in the past and all the good ones have proven their worth. Mostly those made in the UK a long time ago.

I am sorry but in my personal opinion, while once the brand guaranteed the quality, nowadays with famous names being applied to cheap foreign produced tools, genuine brands producing cheaper tools just to remain competitive and outright fakes, this may not always be true.

Tomorrow is my birthday and yesterday I received my first Bus Pass. So I don't need to pay for tools that would need to last through a career in engineering from apprentice onwards - I need to buy tools and equipment that will do the job for an amateur engineer working in his garage for as long as I want them to do. Provided they are accurate for my needs and last long enough I am happy buying imported tools.

Thread: "TINKER" tool & cutter grinder
09/04/2021 08:29:49
Posted by Sam Longley 1 on 09/04/2021 07:17:54:

I would also like to build this model ( please do not suggest other models in replying) & have been in touch with Guy Lautard who is willing to send me the drawings in PDF format for 50 canadian dollars. I can then print them out on 93 A4 sheets here in the UK. At least that should save surprise import duty etc

While 50 CD is not that excessive - looking at David Clark's picture where do 93 A4 sheets come into it?

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 09/04/2021 08:30:01

Thread: Tich cylinders
05/04/2021 14:17:16

I don't think the drawings are incorrect - if for no other reason than so many of the locos have been built from them.

Inlet ports are 3/32, exhaust 1/4 with 3/32 bars giving a width across the inlet ports of 5/8"

The valve is 3/4" long so in mid travel overlaps the ports by 1/16" each side.

With a 9/64 throw eccentric this means the inlet ports open 5/64 out of 3/32 which is fairly normal as ports on LBSC's designs don't always open completely. There is no reason to suppose the extra 2mm or so will be needed - it still will not open the posts completely.

Thread: Replacing a Canon printer with a Brother Laser?
05/04/2021 10:26:41
Posted by An Other on 05/04/2021 09:36:28:

Consider your computer operating system. I had to dump a Brother Laser printer because it was not well supported for use with Linux - it did work, but much of the functionality was lost. Brother did not provide a LInux driver, only for Windows and Apple

When I stated my present job nearly 11 years ago there were two Brother printers in my room, a mono and a colour both two or three years old and they would still be in use now if it were not for the fact that while Win 10 drivers for both to run connected to a computer are still available, the Win 10 .bin files needed to connect them to a dedicated printer server on a network have not been produced for these old models.

I can't really blame Brother for this as I doubt that many commercial enterprises would be still trying to run 12 or more year old printers in a networked environment!

I cannot comment on today's Brother printers, but comparing those I have seen there is a conceptual difference between them and comparable HP models. A HP toner contains the drum and so is a more expensive replacement than the Brother system of separate drums and toners (and belts in colour models.)

The Brother cartridge for the mon printer is about £80 (genuine - recycled are cheaper) and the drum about £150(ditto) while the equivalent HP for a similar specced machine we have at work is £120. You get a new drum each time but you don't need to change this every time you run out of toner on the Brother. I a nutshell running costs would be cheaper for the Brother but for one thing - You can shake up an HP cartridge until there is no toner left after the message to replace it has appeared and it will continue to produce prints until nothing is printed - long enough to order a replacement. The Brothers have page counters and will stop printing when it thinks the toner has printed enough - or the drum has printed enough or waste toner bottle has collected enough or a belt (in a colour printer) has printed enough. While some of these can be reset you cannot reset the toners cartridge(s) and when recycling them they are clearly not empty.

For work I would use Brothers again, but my mono printer at home is HP running genuine cartridges as I get a new drum every time that way. If I wanted a colour Laser I might go for a Brother at home as well - we'll see.

All laser printers are cheaper to run than the alternatives, but the individual cost of toners is higher at each replacement than for an inkjet printer - so when it runs out you have to find £100 or so which may be harder than finding £5 more often

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 05/04/2021 10:27:32

Thread: Canon printer
03/04/2021 22:00:38

I too use VueScan but while drivers are available for my HP G4050  scanner they produce scans of appallingly poor quality.

I bought the scanner off the reduced table in PCWorld and I suspect it was returned for this very reason. Thinking I had wasted (some more!) money I was persuaded to try VueScan. Instant superb quality scans!

I bought a registered version and it has updated with every change of OS since.

A great buy!

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 03/04/2021 22:01:34

Thread: Multi-dimensioned Drawings
01/04/2021 12:49:28
Posted by Hopper on 01/04/2021 12:34:34:

Confusing at first blush but ok once you work his system out. I guess you were expected to have a modicum of initiative in those days compared with modern practice.

The use of fractions still drives me nuts as i have to look up the decimal equivalent every time. I guess those old guys had them all in their head, or did everything with a steel ruler and calipers.

That's why my old Moore & Wright micrometer has decimal equivalents engraved on it

01/04/2021 11:10:24

Purely out of interest have a look at the following drawing from the description of LBSC's Netta where the axles for gauge O, gauge 1, 2½", 3½" and 5" are all shown together.

axles.jpg

Thread: Southworth Pump Lubrication
31/03/2021 15:12:33
Posted by Nigel Bennett on 31/03/2021 13:42:32:
Posted by Nick Clarke 3 on 30/03/2021 09:06:15:

in general I suggest lubrication is kept to the minimum you can get away with as all of the oil will end up in your boiler.

Surely not; if you're daft enough to pipe the lubricant into the water side of the pump, yes, but if it's only being used to lubricate the steam side as intended, then you won't get oil into the water side and hence none into the boiler.

Sorry - Yes Nigel you are quite right - Brain failure on my part. Thanks for correcting.

Thread: Starting out a young enthusiast
30/03/2021 14:43:59

My daughter left school several years ago when she moved to sixth-form college, but I still keep in contact with the place. As a Technology College it had up to date metal and wood working facilities, but these are being taken out and more computers are being installed because they are moving from CDT or Design Technology or whatever it is called this week to 'Engineering' which means a single CNC machine and a few 3d printers are being installed.

Not quite certain if that is to the benefit of the pupils or not. OK they are more likely to meet a CNC machine in the real world, but if they spend all of their time on a computer and the finished article pops out of a CNC mill like a coke can out of a coke machine, are they not missing out on what is actually happening?

Edited By Nick Clarke 3 on 30/03/2021 14:44:59

Thread: A new job
30/03/2021 14:19:54
Posted by Windy on 30/03/2021 14:13:20:

.Jeff a good suggestion as you all know my nickname thoughts come to mind of fitting a De-Laval Nozzle at a certain body part for pure thrust.

Current World record is just over 107mph for a chariot like yours - You need something flat to fit under the seat - Porsche perhaps?

Thread: Component Suppliers - Recommendations?
30/03/2021 11:50:16

Rapid Electronics online and based in Colchester

Thread: A new job
30/03/2021 11:27:51

The first image made me think of Rollie Free's record breaking on a Vincent.

If you have any images dressed as he was please do NOT publish themI laugh The world can only take so much I'm afraid.

Take care and have fun!!!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest