By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Richard Millington

Here is a list of all the postings Richard Millington has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: MT 4 1/2
28/08/2021 07:49:47

Boxford X10 series also use them:

X10-02-052

HEADSTOCK REDUCTION SLEEVE

£89.27
Thread: Which is better Thompson or er collets
14/08/2021 07:39:36

For rigidity and security of cutter I prefer the Clarkson (Vertex copy in my case) to ER collets. I have had a cutter pull down into the work previously with ER. Due to the thread and stop system in Clarkson this doesn't happen.

Thread: Hello from Winnipeg, Canada
14/08/2021 07:03:53

Welcome Steven,

I too like the Hurricane, prefer it to the Spitfire, but wouldn't mind owning either - unfortunately bank balance won't allow that sad.

Enjoy your retirement.

Richard

Thread: Centec 2B - New arrival and Q&A
05/08/2021 20:37:39

If the pulley is "wobbly" it is probably not bored correctly, do you have a lathe you could clock it in? If the motor bearings are rough you should be able to tell by rotating the spindle by hand, does the spindle move when you pull it to the side. How does your motor mount? Is the adjuster loose? Does it have pivots, are they loose?

Thread: Boxford STS 10-30 lathe manual?
02/08/2021 21:45:47

FYI - Oilers, there are three in the saddle of my 280 not 2 as the manual states, the two visible on the right and one rear left which you have to move the cross slide to the front to access.

02/08/2021 19:01:37

If you have trouble downloading it, let me know your email address and I'll send you a copy.

Thread: Centec 2B - New arrival and Q&A
02/08/2021 18:25:05
Posted by Gary Wooding on 02/08/2021 07:19:07:
Posted by Richard Millington on 01/08/2021 20:19:40:

"What is the purpose of the nut on the front of the vertical head? It seems to just spin in place on my one."

It limits the vertical movement of the quill, otherwise it would hit the oil level dipstick which does.

2BA grub screws for the gib adjustment on the 2A, as above 1/4 BSF thread for the locks. All the threads on my 2A are either BA or BSF, I assume they would not change for the 2B.

For the Mk3 VH there is a small grub screw, just behind the quill lock handle, that pokes into a slot that limits the quill vertical movement. The nut on the front of the VH does nothing on my VH.

The boss attached to the front nut on mine stops the vertical movement of the quill before the grub screw (dog point on mine) gets to the bottom of the milled alignment groove. About 1mm clearance to the bottom of the groove, maybe someone has re-worked it during its' life, but the quill and casting base line up (at the moment anyway as I am going to put a DRO on that smiley).

01/08/2021 21:03:25

I assume so, it is on my 2A, can't remember a W/W thread being used apart from the drawbars. Measure it to find out for sure:

https://www.ring-plug-thread-gages.com/PDChart/BSF-thread-data.html

Brass, TBH can't remember milling any. When cutting brass on the lathe the tool doesn't have back rake, it may be grabbing and needs to be sharp.

01/08/2021 20:26:30

P.S.

https://www.chronos.ltd.uk/product/2mt-drill-chuck-arbor-tapped-3-8-bsw-jt6-taper/

01/08/2021 20:19:40

"What is the purpose of the nut on the front of the vertical head? It seems to just spin in place on my one."

It limits the vertical movement of the quill, otherwise it would hit the oil level dipstick which does.

2BA grub screws for the gib adjustment on the 2A, as above 1/4 BSF thread for the locks. All the threads on my 2A are either BA or BSF, I assume they would not change for the 2B.

Thread: Boxford paint colour - but not blue or green!
02/06/2021 12:27:36

Thanks, it was going to be for painting the Centec, but that is now being done in Aldi Silver as I have two cans sitting on the shelf. I will bear in mind for re painting the Boxford cabinet when I have to.

Thread: Centec 2a vertical head shaft bearings.
01/06/2021 20:06:56

You've probably sorted it now, but two of the grubscrews (BA) are plugs for the grease way and there is one at the side which holds the flange for the spindle.

hex key sizes here:

Hex Key Sizes

Edited By Richard Millington on 01/06/2021 20:07:41

Thread: Boxford paint colour - but not blue or green!
31/05/2021 21:01:55

If I paint the Centec the same colour as the Boxford then I only have to keep one colour for touching up wink

At the moment looks like it's going to be Aldi silver as I have just stripped the old beige off the head and found blue/grey underneath.

30/05/2021 20:52:27

Hi David,

I also have a white / yellow 280, but have also bough a Centec 2A which I am currently rebuilding. Did you ever find out what colour paint was used or a good match?

Many thanks

Rich

Thread: Vickers Bl 8 inch Howitzer cannon of 1917
29/10/2020 20:28:12

Lovely build, a credit to you.

I am thinking of doing a Pak40, just trying to get some drawings/dimensions together, but seeing this I will have to up my gameyes

Thread: Boxford 280 (x10) Rapid Original Tool Post
14/12/2017 20:01:11

Many thanks for all your input.

I bought one from RDG as Nick suggested, a little relieving in two places with a diamond file. To the face which the clamp pulls against and taking the edge off which touches the adjuster collar holder on the cam has it fitting nicely.

10/12/2017 19:36:30

Many thanks, yes I have found the GFB site and catalogue, as you say they don't list the L any more. (It does only have two stations) I did ask RDG and they said their tool holders didn't fit, maybe thinking of another Rapid model.

As I have some money in my PP account I will splash some on an RDG and see

10/12/2017 09:27:52

Hi, I have a Boxford 280 with a Rapid Original Tool Post Type L.

All my questions about which tool holders fit this tool post have come up negative, does anyone know any sub £50 tool holders which fit?

Thanks

Thread: Greetings from Derbyshire
10/12/2017 08:59:03

Greetings from a snowy Derbyshire, Can't think of much more to say! Main interests are in motorbikes and making things.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest