By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for colin wilkinson

Here is a list of all the postings colin wilkinson has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Fireworks Ban
07/11/2018 13:18:04

Watching the news last night and hearing of the attacks on the fire service crews by thugs with fireworks, then yes I would be in favour of public displays only. Colin

Thread: Problems with a breadmaker
25/09/2018 07:23:50

Unfortunately Coeliac disease is an auto immune disease not an intolerance. Blood tests were inconclusive for Coeliac and it was only confirmed after a second set of biopsy tests, very uncomfortable endoscopy I may say. The only bread that is edible so far is Marks and Spencer's, and I have tried several others including Genius. The amount I consume now wouldn't justify making my own I am afraid.

Apparently it isn't unusual according to the dietician to be diagnosed at my age, a low blood cell count being the warning sign that something was wrong, fortunately Coeliac being a less worrying problem than the first possible reason for a decreasing blood cell count. Sorry for taking this slightly off topic. Colin

24/09/2018 16:58:00

I find this a really irritating thread. About 6 months ago I was diagnosed as Coeliac ie no Gluten at all, really miss a nice baguette or Warburtons Toastie and don't mention shortbreads and egg custards.Colin

Thread: Small Brushless Motors - can they generate?
04/09/2018 22:27:20

Scitsu supply self contained rev counters, I use one on my Greeves. Just tape the sender wire to a ht lead, that's all.

https://www.scitsu.com/about-us-1-w.asp

Colin

Thread: lead acid battery charging, will this work
01/09/2018 06:34:11

https://www.towsure.com/split-charge-relay-for-towbar-electrics

All the info you need. Split chargers are fine for charging as you drive, automatically switches off so no current drawn when you start the car. You will only need a canbus system if you take the voltage from the supply at the rear lights afaik. Fitted one to a van conversion with no problems. Colin

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
30/07/2018 15:17:42

Who can forget Jasper Carrott and "Funky Moped" or Chris Spedding and "Motor bikin' "

Thread: Mail order ban on bladed products
11/07/2018 13:18:56

Section 15 bans mail order of bladed products, definition is a bit vague, basically anything that can cut skin. Could this include saw blades, chisels, lathe or milling tools, etc? there is a petition to amend. Colin

**LINK**
https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/cbill/2017-2019/0232/cbill_2017-20190232_en_2.htm

08/07/2018 22:55:49

Ronan, sorry, motorcycles are inanimate objects until a human sits on it. I have just spent today at Mallory Park on my Greeves Silverstone and it was only as dangerous as I made it. It was only a "parade" but it was as fast as I could go given my age and self preservation. Having raced in Ireland in the 60s and 70s and them Isle of Man it is purely a self challenging and determination to be better than my fellow man not a look at me attitude which seems to prevail today. Colin

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
17/06/2018 06:58:51

The best book I ever read about Vietnam and helicopters is Chickenhawk by Robert Mason. When I had a motorcycle shop in the 60s, not far from Burtonwood airbase, I became friends with a helicopter pilot and his crew chief who had done three tours in Vietnam. Scary stories. Colin

Thread: Thickening oil
17/06/2018 06:27:07

Available from Hichcocks Motorcycles for Royal Enfield gearboxes

http://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-shop/Silkolene-Oils/16612

Colin

Thread: Clean hands?
28/05/2018 21:29:18

Rob, are you using powder free gloves? Powdered are known to cause some problems. Colin

28/05/2018 07:21:08

The first time I saw a mechanic wearing vinyl gloves was probably in the early eighties. His brother worked at Shell research and warned him that many of the compounds used in modern motor oils were carcinogenic, including unleaded petrol, and he should avoid getting them on his skin. Also the reason some machinists developed testicular cancer through splashes from cutting oils whilst standing in front of lathes and milling machines wearing overalls and not protective aprons. Colin

27/05/2018 07:40:03

By far the best, and over many years of working on motorcycles I have tried most of them, is the Wurth hand cleanser. Not being able to get it free anymore is quite upsetting. thinking Colin

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
13/05/2018 07:17:52

Hope there is a slot on the TV news

https://dambustersblog.com/2018/05/01/lancaster-will-fly-over-ladybower-dam-on-dams-raid-75th-anniversary-official/

Colin

17/04/2018 06:16:30

I will be going to Stafford Classic Bike show this weekend displaying the Greeves Oulton on the Greeves Riders Association stand in the main hall. Anyone else going? Colin

Thread: Wind turbines get bigger and bigger
06/04/2018 05:46:42

Steamdave, my comment ( tongue in cheek ) was in response to the eighth post by Stephen Millward who quotes a 200 bn investment by the Saudis. Colin

Thread: How to paint aluminium
06/04/2018 05:41:32

Use a good mask when using etch primer, preferably outdoors as it is very nasty stuff. Only needs a very light coat, then conventional primer before top coating. Colin

Thread: Wind turbines get bigger and bigger
05/04/2018 09:05:35

When the Saudis have their solar panels generating perhaps they could modify all the redundant oil tankers, filling them with battery banks, charge them up and sail to wherever needs power? Fanciful ? Maybe, Who knows where battery technology will be in a few years time. Dogsbody

Thread: Pretty?, Mind-boggling? Pretty mind-boggling!!
26/03/2018 13:44:31

According to the song by Katie Melua " There are nine million bicycles in Beijing" so a few thousand more won't make much impact. I am sure if all those wrecked ones were sent to India and Africa most would be back on the road pretty quick. Colin

Thread: Fred Dibnah auction
07/03/2018 09:25:22

Lot 335, the mine headgear already has a bid on it. Now that would worry the neighbours if you erected it in the back garden..........

You could bid on the Beam engine, lot 325, on the pretence that you needed an original to scale it down accurately? Colin

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
méridienne Nov 18
TRANSWAVE Converters
Shapiro
Allendale Electronics
Warco
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Sarik
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest