By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Stuart Munro 1

Here is a list of all the postings Stuart Munro 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Silver Solder
17/05/2021 16:52:41

I mostly work in brass and use Silverflo 55 which I source from GLR Kennions. They provide appropriate flux also.

Low melting point (for a silver solder) so easy to work with.

Stuart

Thread: The future is Tiny
17/05/2021 16:46:27

V8eng, very interesting. On that basis will we come to regret the technical solution to our current (no pun intended) problem?

Perhaps we should all work from home, from houses without light or heat, sleeping as soon as it gets dark. We should eat only what we grow in our gardens and forget all about tech goods which we have hitherto imported at great cost to the planet. Forget about engineering (at last, as an ex accountant I can point the blame at the engineers instead of just envying their skills)

Or should we admit that the real problem is overpopulation.

Stuart

17/05/2021 13:35:19

Another useless fact that I recall reading - the pollution caused by horses in London before the car, made living there almost unbearable. That is unless you were too poor to live anywhere else!

Stuart

17/05/2021 13:30:09

I was curious when I read about the 'pollution effect' of New Zealand lamb being less than for Welsh Lamb. Apparently giant container ships with chilled containers actually burn a lot less fuel per kg of lamb shipped than lorries. Not sure that I ever fully believed the example but it does point out that some peoples simplistic view of the 'greenness' of different transport systems is often wrong.

Now if the future is tiny, tiny portions of whatever meat is probably greener, but is it like the old joke, you don't live any longer - it just seems so.

Stuart

Thread: Small saw. Proxxon or something else
04/05/2021 07:05:11
Posted by JasonB on 03/05/2021 18:12:56:

Looks like you may have to make your own Stuart, something like this for the Sherline, similar concept to the one for the Myford

Jason,

I actually have a Sjherline lathe - an interesting project.

Stuart

03/05/2021 18:02:12

However Stuart, who this was addressed to, was wishing that he could find an equivalent to his FET for non-ferrous materials.

Roger - thanks. I knew John wanted to cut steel but the discussion seemed to have widened. I repeat the plea for someone to build what i want - but so far my cries for someone to make my dreamed of chocolate bar; non-alcoholic drink...have gone on def ears.

26/04/2021 17:41:13

Nicolas,

I think that I already mentioned that I cut aluminium and brass sheet with sheers then file to a smooth straight edge - like your example above. My one refinement is testament to my lack of skill, as my cuts are rough I cut 1mm outside of my score and place the sheet in a vice with a length of angle iron each side, then file down to the score. Pretty good finish.

But I would prefer a machine to do this; my wood table saw (Proxxon FET) cuts very accurately, straight and smooth but imho only works with wood. If there were a table saw that did to non ferrous metals what the FET does to wood...

I guess its machine up or skill up and as a retiree who has never dirtied his hands with engineering before, skilling up seems the greater challenge.

Stuart

26/04/2021 07:59:29

Cutting sheet metal accurately is such a fundamental component of model engineering that I've enjoyed this instructional debate. If only some enterprising manufacturer would pay heed and design something that works - I'm sure many of us would buy it.

John and myself to start with.

Now the (long retired) corporate/financial analysts in me comes out. Jim Byrnes in Florida and Sherline in Australia were modellers who decided that the machines they wanted were not being made...the rest is history. Anyone out there with a business plan?

Just dreaming, as I do of owning a real lathe and mill. Alas, my /Sherlines are all I have room for.

Stuart

Thread: Sherline
25/04/2021 16:55:08

ps - I believe Millhill prices are inclusive of VAT - but not 100% certain so anyone looking to buy please check.

Stuart

25/04/2021 16:42:48
Posted by Martin Hamilton 1 on 25/04/2021 14:13:00:

Sherline lathes & accessories have really gone up in price in the last 2 years alone, Millhill Supplies price list on Sherline you must add on VAT + postage. I bought my Sherline long bed lathe package & accessories from Millhill in March 2019. Here's what I paid just 2 years ago & the price now, everything has gone up around 50% in that time.

2019 2021

4410A Lathe Package £855 inc VAT. £1284 inc VAT

1270 Compound slide £126 inc VAT. £189 inc VAT.

1030 4 jaw indi Chuck 3.1" £135.99 inc VAT. £204 inc VAT.

1076 4 Jay S/C Chuck 3.1" £166.24 inc VAT. £249.48 inc VAT.

Just a sample of what I bought from Millhill in 2019, all the other accessories sherline list have gone up around 50% across the range here in the UK.

Martin,

I spoke to Kevin at Mill Hill late last year and learnt that their policy is to buy in stock then keep prices stable until the next stock purchase, when prevailing exchange rates will impact the price.

Looking at the post Brexit exchange rates we saw the pound falling significantly from about $1.50 early 2016 to $1.30 after the referendum. There was some recovery and by early 2018 it had recovered to $1.45 but slid again through the year to $1.25 by December hovering around this level until a recovery as a 'deal' looked likely. Now about $1.35

Its quite possible that your purchase was of stock bought early 2018, and now were looking at stock bought late last year. A large chunk of the price change.

Looking up item 1030 - the 4 jaw chuck - on eBay the delivered price - tax and postage paid - is estimated at about $225 - about £160 or 26% price hike. Its part of the reason that I check eBay imports from the US.

Yup - they have gone up in price but the financial analyst in me (my former occupation!) would love to see what has happened to mini mill prices. Might do that.

Stuart

24/04/2021 17:44:58

PPS

I'm not on commission - Sherlines are not for everyone but is someone avoids them because they are seen as difficult to get hold of, I think that's a pity.

So one final point, just went online and checked Mill Hill supplies, they have full current pricelist. From experience their prices are usually very similar to the 'landed' cost of buying from DPP but if mill hill don't have an item in stock, they may take a month or so until they get it. this is when I've gone to DPP/eBay because it really is quick.

Both Kevin and DPP are very helpful.

Stuart

24/04/2021 17:38:03

Some observations on pro's and cons of Shelines:

Pro's

1/ They are very accurate.

2/ The are easy to pick up and pack away. i have predrilled and tapped bolt holes in my steel surfaced workbench; 4 screws and a hex key and they are free.

3/There are plenty of Sherline extras.

4/ They have plenty of power for Brass and Aluminium.

Cons

1/ They are expensive

2/ Whilst you can get metric versions, the bolts that hold them together and all fixings are imperial. Can be irritating!

3/ They can cut steel but it takes time.

4/ They are small.

5/ The shafts are MT1 - try buying 3rd party boring heads etc for MT1 - you have to go the Sherline rout.

Depends on what you want them for I guess, but I've never found a problem with getting bits for them.

Stuart

24/04/2021 17:30:44
Posted by SillyOldDuffer on 22/04/2021 14:12:27:
Posted by Hollowpoint on 22/04/2021 12:01:44:

Sherlines are nice machines and they seem to punch well above their weight considering their small size.

It's frankly unbelievable that their presence in the UK and Europe is almost non existent! The market over here is very strong.

Quite well-known in the UK with a good reputation, and there's a dealer too. Unfortunately the machines are Price on Application, which often signals high cost and long delays over here.

As a general rule importing anything from the USA is expensive and what's delightfully affordable in New York causes British purchasers to blow a gasket when they see the price over here. Quite a good way of buying american gear is to take a holiday in the US and bring it back as hand-luggage.

Another problem might be more competition. Europeans have reasonable access to second-hand watchmaking lathes and - for serious players - Cowells can be bought new. Also Taig/Peatol and Chinese micro-lathes.

Perhaps the biggest problem is UK lathe buyers have bigger machines for general work and don't have room for a little one as well. Many of us have cramped workshops because land is so expensive.

Whatever the reason, it's not because Sherline kit is considered unreliable or inaccurate. Just relatively pricey, small, and a little awkward to buy. I think of buying a Sherline once or twice a year because my other machines make intricate work harder than it should be. Don't do enough delicate turning to justify it though. Maybe one day...

Dave

Dave,

I have manual Sherline lathe and mill, both bought from Mill Hill Supplies of Basildon Essex (Kevin). MH are the main UK importers. I'm a novice engineer but researched long and hard to find machines that are compact and competent - which as I mostly machine brass and aluminium they are.

Importing from the USA is not actually a hassle nor does it take a long time. Simply contact DPP engineering in California - Sherline's main global exporter. You can get them at dpp@conaco.com. They will then list a part on eBay where you can purchase it using the eBay international delivery system. This reduces shipping costs because DPP ship it to eBay in the USA who ship it with containerload of stuff to the UK, from where it is delivered to you. The price on eBay estimates all taxes which are confirmed on purchase. Nice and simple.

DPP tend to under promise on delivery, bought DRO for both machines and they arrived within 7-10 days. Bought a rotary table with similar experience.

People often misunderstand US pricing; the price on the label, online or in shops, is without tax. Tax varies by state so this has become the normal way to quote. So the goods are shipped free of US tax, but of course you pay import duties and VAT etc in the UK. eBay manages this all seamlessly.

Stuart

Thread: Small saw. Proxxon or something else
23/04/2021 07:45:30

pps - now that I know that it has blades to cut Brass sheet and aluminium sheet it may become a realistic option as a multi material saw. Off to se the minister of home finance.

23/04/2021 07:43:59

p.s This is why I'm attracted to the Byrnes Table Saw - by all accounts the Rolls Royce of wood modellers table saws but coming in a £550 - £600 landed in the UK.....

23/04/2021 07:27:18
Posted by John Smith 47 on 22/04/2021 21:13:04:

Regarding Proxxon as a brand, I find myself deeply conflicted. I have some of their stuff and in general it is reasonably good, but i) the prices are extremely high and ii) the build quality is sometimes very good but the next minute it is absolutely woeful, for no good reason. I mean certain things rattle badly that damned well shouldn't rattle at all.

Bottom line: Proxxon stuff is all pretty expensive and although much of their stuff is great, but you can't RELY on the brand to be great.

This make them sometimes feel like toys for amateurs even though some of their stuff IS pretty darned good. Frankly they just need a big new management shake-up and proper quality control... and a few spindles that run true and they would be absolutely brilliant.

Joihn, I have to agree re Proxxon. I have one of the FET table saws discussed in this thread; its generally very good and can be adjusted to about 0.1mm BUT the fence appears to be about 0.5mm out along its length but the BLADE is what is not at 90 degrees to the table. I make do by setting the fence parallel to the blade but for a tool of this price this should not happen.

Stuart

22/04/2021 07:07:37
Posted by Martin Kyte on 21/04/2021 17:35:09:
Posted by Stuart Munro 1 on 21/04/2021 17:07:25:

John, and everyone else,

This is a real problem for beginners at engineering like me. Cutting strips of material be it brass, steel or aluminium is essential yet challenging. So I too have gone through all the permutations. A Floridian called Jim Byrnes makes what is probably the best wood modellers table saw on the planet (certainly not the best beer on the planet if he hails from the USA! to misquote an old advert). It comes with a range of optional blades which I suspect but would need to confirm, include metal cutting blades.

2 problems - its hyper expensive top import, like twice the cost of a Proxxon FET - and I'm not sure it cuts metal, just suspect it does, but will enquire.

If only there were a UK importer, I guess bulk buying would enable lower shipping costs which are half of the UK total for a 1 off!

Stuart

As I mentioned earlier maybe the little proxon bandaw would suit you better.

Proxxon Micromot MBS 240/E Bandsaw.

regards Martin

Martin,

I've gone to sheers for thin aly and brass, don't have a need to sheer steel sheet. With the aly and brass I then use a panel hammer to flatten it and put it into a vice betwen two bits of iron angle and file the edge the last half mil. Works for me.

Stuart

22/04/2021 07:03:17
Posted by John Smith 47 on 21/04/2021 17:38:04:

Jim Byrnes's stuff certainly looks entirely wonderful. Good to see something better-made than Proxxon! It's certainly not cheap though, and by the time you have imported it, it will be eye-wateringly expensive.

The JimSaw's speed seems to be of a fixed speed, and slightly slow for grinding 3450 rpm.
Also, it seems the blade can't tilt and can only be at 90 degrees to the table.
I can't work out either the inside or the external diametre of the disks.

To be honest, I am now getting cold feet at the whole idea of trying to accuraaly SAW mild steel plate on a circular saw. I now think the only hope will be an extra thin (1mm) ferrous cutting disk, turned at a very high RPM (e.g. 20,000rpm). I am happy to be prove wrong though.

John,

Jim came back promptly confirming that his saw (with slitting blade) will cut thin sheets of aluminium and brass but not steel.

Stuart

21/04/2021 17:07:25

John, and everyone else,

This is a real problem for beginners at engineering like me. Cutting strips of material be it brass, steel or aluminium is essential yet challenging. So I too have gone through all the permutations. A Floridian called Jim Byrnes makes what is probably the best wood modellers table saw on the planet (certainly not the best beer on the planet if he hails from the USA! to misquote an old advert). It comes with a range of optional blades which I suspect but would need to confirm, include metal cutting blades.

2 problems - its hyper expensive top import, like twice the cost of a Proxxon FET - and I'm not sure it cuts metal, just suspect it does, but will enquire.

If only there were a UK importer, I guess bulk buying would enable lower shipping costs which are half of the UK total for a 1 off!

Stuart

21/04/2021 14:24:04

John,

Try as I might I can't find 32tpi blades for other similar mitre saws and think only the Nobex make a 630mm saw so only that saw can take the 32tpi blade.

There seem to be a range of sized from 550 upwards, one of the generic 550mm saws on Amazon claims to cut aluminium so that sounds similar to mine, but its a courser TPI.

Tough choics; Go for the £150 Nobex 630mm and you can cut mild steel but might blunt the blade after a few cuts (I rarely cut other than non ferrous with it), or try a £50 saw that claims to cut aluminium.

There is another tool, the Proxxon Mitre Saw KGS 80. I also have one of these and its great for cutting lengths of various metals. Tough little saw

Stuart

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
ChesterUK
Warco
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest