By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jon Lawes

Here is a list of all the postings Jon Lawes has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Complete newbie
10/06/2021 17:15:36

Looks like you have a Model Engineering Society here:

North Model Engineering Society, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Newcastle ST5 0QP

My advice would be go speak to some people there directly; if they are a society worth their salt they will be only too keen to assist someone starting out in the hobby. My MES (down south) gives instruction to new engineers and has equipment for their use.

Best of luck and welcome to the hobby. I've been wondering for years how long I have to do it before I consider myself anything other than amateur; I may never know!

Thread: Into the darkness
09/06/2021 16:32:51

Because you can't smash a Spinning Jenny in total darkness.

Thread: Modded 1" Minnie Progress
08/06/2021 19:08:51

Proper model engineering. yes

Thread: My Starrett clamp can cause cancer....
08/06/2021 19:07:23
Posted by Tony Pratt 1 on 08/06/2021 17:56:03:

Jeez the world has gone mad!sad Now someone will pop up to justify the label.

Tony

Isn't it awful when people discuss things?

Thread: Stuart Beam Engine
02/06/2021 10:36:30

Lovely work Eric.

Thread: Modded 1" Minnie Progress
31/05/2021 16:15:25

What beautiful work.

Thread: Injector LBSC type
26/05/2021 18:23:13

Because LBSC used language that would be understood by the common man with limited measurement tools available. Hence he used terms like "the thickness of a tram ticket".

Thread: Anyone intersted?
26/05/2021 18:20:46

What a lovely finish you have on everything. Congratulations on a tidy build.

Thread: Injector LBSC type
26/05/2021 13:17:15

I don't wish to drag your attention away from this fine forum but this has been discussed in incredible length (with research and experimentation) on the Model Engineering Clearing House forum (MECH). It might be worth having a look there.

If this post is not allowed then I completely understand if it gets removed.

Thread: Remote Compressor Drain Tap
25/05/2021 16:28:14

Probably a quarter of a cup full at a guess? I'll do it more often.

Thread: GOOD NEWS ! Midlands MEX
25/05/2021 16:21:48

How large will this be? Worth a 3 hour drive and/or a hotel stay? I'm rather itching to get back to exhibitions (really enjoyed Bristol).

Thread: Remote Compressor Drain Tap
25/05/2021 16:15:18

I only drain mine every few months. How often do people do theirs?

Thread: Todays Car Boot Bargain!
23/05/2021 14:09:14

Yeovil, just up the road from me, I never find bargains like this!

Thread: Who uses airbrushes?
23/05/2021 14:04:12

I purchased a cheap mini version of the automotive spray guns on ebay as a throwaway experiment for my locomotive and sprayed it with thinned enamel. I was very pleased with the result. After my son (an experienced modeller) installed the decals we gave it a light dusting of lacquer, which was carried out in a recently warmed garage. It wrinkled and made the finish look like elephant skin.... I suspect the metal hadn't reached room tempterature when I sprayed it. Live and learn!

Thread: New member from Kentucky
20/05/2021 07:51:15

Welcome Greg

Thread: What is a Lug Sweater?
19/05/2021 21:43:13

Lug nut being the american term for wheel nuts could he be referring to an inductive heating tool, often used for shifting stuck nuts and bolts as the heat is more localised than gas?

Thread: Any info on this?
19/05/2021 21:39:53

I think we had one of these (or very similar) at an old workplace for lifting large manhole covers in a hangar floor.

Thread: What are these wheels - steam lorry?
19/05/2021 21:38:11

Obviously not the case if they have a diff and axle but they bring to my mind the weight bearing wheels of a tanks tracks. I think the driven wheels are usually sprockets so obviously not the case.

Thread: New to all of this
15/05/2021 21:15:07

A lot of people make the Stuart 10V as a first engine but I prefer the 10H as its horizontal and looks a bit more "mill-like". Also I suspect its slightly easier to machine, but I could be wrong.

Make a visit to your local model engineering society when lockdown is fully eased, you won't regret it. Welcome.

Thread: End of the road for me
14/05/2021 19:05:32

Don't give up on the forum side just yet; the odd bit of conflict is the side effect of being able to communicate with so many people.

The Men's shed would be a great place for you to share your skills with novices even if you don't feel you can carry on doing the work yourself. I dearly miss my grandfathers engineering advice, someone nearby will surely be grateful for yours.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
walker midge
JD Metals
Dreweatts
cowells
rapid Direct
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest