By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jon Lawes

Here is a list of all the postings Jon Lawes has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: De-snagging an SL125
26/06/2021 21:39:08

Do you think it is louder than when it was new? I've heard silencers can get louder over time and need repacking as they settle down.

Thread: Fractal vice
26/06/2021 14:52:41

What a fantastic piece of equipment, whatever it is called. I wish they still sold them as I haven't a hope in hell of making one!

Thread: Steam locomotive
26/06/2021 14:50:59

I hate to sound like a broken record but if you have a model engineering society near you someone might be able to cast their eye over it and give some guidance; it's very hard to diagnose on a forum.

Very broadly (and I say this as someone who is not much more than a novice),

Wheels should be tight on the axles and quartered accurately (i.e. left hand side offset to the right hand side by the same amount on each coupled wheelset, for example all exactly 90 degrees, or all exactly 89 degrees, but importantly all the same).

Axles can have a little side to side movement in the axle boxes.

Axleboxes can have a little slop in the horns to allow them to articulate up and down without binding.

Thread: dirty clutch trick
25/06/2021 16:41:05

I use this exact technique for cutting threads (when using a tap or die, obviously....).

Thread: Fun on the water...
23/06/2021 20:42:44

Have you considered going brushless? Quite aside from the extra power the increased run-time is very noticeable.

Thread: Turning Cartwheels
22/06/2021 05:15:08

Some lovely work there, congratulations Rod.

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
20/06/2021 22:56:56

This thread always seems to turn into Career Top Trumps, with bonus points for clanging name drops.

Thread: Thinking about where I need to improve - measurements
20/06/2021 20:28:58

Some very useful info here, thank you.

Thread: What's in a Word? ME 4667 Postbag
20/06/2021 20:27:54

I just re-read the magazine. I have to say I've been finding Lukers articles excellent, the piece on superheaters was very useful (I've only just swapped out my copper ones for fully radiant stainless), the article on the Turbomotive was a good read and the piece on Training the next generation was very timely.

I think I'm right in saying D.E. Hockin was in the previous issue complaining as well (with no less than two letters in one issue). I don't recall them providing any articles or other positive input, but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

20/06/2021 20:24:51

I had the great pleasure of being contacted by the designer of my model boat. He had seen a video of it in action and said mine was far too overpowered and fast to use in public and would almost certainly cause an injury to an innocent bystander. To be fair if they are wading in the boating lake they are already having a bad day.

Of course, it wasn't as fast as Windy's!

Thread: What's in a Word? ME 4667 Postbag
20/06/2021 17:33:19

It's easier to write a letter of complaint than an article. I for one found it interesting.

20/06/2021 17:31:48

Fantastic! I used a windscreen washer pump for my cooling running at a lower voltage than in a car. I could have relied on a scoop but then I wouldn't have had the small jet of water coming out of the transom, would I?

That's a great choice of boat to model, lovely stuff.

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
19/06/2021 21:01:57

There is a serious design flaw if it is easy to make that mistake (especially when you consider the pressure that operator is under).

Thread: Flintlock pistol plans
17/06/2021 22:10:37

Is it classed as an antique weapon if it was only made recently?

Thread: Making an adjustable vice stop
15/06/2021 06:04:47

You've had some lovely results there.

Thread: Radio controlled clocks
14/06/2021 15:05:39

I used a Rubidium Frequency standard to make my own "atomic clock" (yes, I know, I know) at home, and what I noticed was that even though my standard was in calibration there was a lot of drift from my anthorn synchronised clock. I guess they don't worry too much about the quality of the movement when they know its going to get constantly corrected.

Thread: New Member
14/06/2021 15:02:17

Welcome Dean. The 3" Allchin is a lovely machine, I hope you will show us some pictures soon.

Cheers,

Jon.

Thread: How long does it take to make things?
14/06/2021 10:57:26

When I was an auto electrician I used to price a job on how long it should have taken rather than how long it took bearing in mind I used to faff to try and make it perfect.

I wasn't a very good businessman and I don't do it anymore.

Thread: GPO test meter fault
14/06/2021 08:03:55

Current measurement faults on meters of this style are often an internal fuse blown as Anthony mentions first.

Thread: Another Stolen Loco
10/06/2021 21:09:54

I can only think of two destinations; 1) A scrap yard for the copper or 2) it was stolen to order by an enthusiast.

If 2) is the case it shocks me to my core that our hobby could contain people like that.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
walker midge
Warco
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
rapid Direct
JD Metals
Dreweatts
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest