By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jon Lawes

Here is a list of all the postings Jon Lawes has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Build a Pallet Beehive
26/08/2021 17:03:07

If Alan's idea is so bad, does that mean beekeepers actively make efforts to keep down the population of wild bees?

Thread: Unusual Go-No Go Tool?
24/08/2021 22:34:06

Just scraping the barrel for clues, Martin says it was in the bottom of a crate of tooling. Where did it come from? Do we have any hints there?

24/08/2021 13:37:10

The part that confuses me is that Go/ no-go gauges are usually fixed. The idea of an adjustable go/no-go gauge kind of defeats the point....

Unless of course the difference between whatever is Go and Not Go is fixed and moves with the adjustment. In what capacity, I have no idea.

The scaling I would assume is down to the inverse square law.

Edited By Jon Lawes on 24/08/2021 13:40:01

22/08/2021 22:25:33

I tried to dive in deeper to the use of the word Micrograph, and even the earliest use of the term says they are to do with Photographs taken through a microscope or by similar techniques. But in the earliest editions of Merriam Webster it also lists this version which I was unaware of:

"an instrument for measuring minute movements by magnifying and recording photographically the corresponding vibrations of a diaphragm moving in unison with the original object"

20/08/2021 06:03:57

http://www.antique-microscopes.com/chemistry/Leitz_hand_spectroscope.htm

The clamp on the end keeps bringing me back to spectroscopes (or even, as a tangent, a method of calibrating them with the go/no-go element), but without an optical element that's rather a bum steer. Maybe it will jog someones memory.

I did see a photo of something similar where a square clamp at the bottom held a very old looking square prism (almost crystaline rather than optical), but I can't find it again now.

19/08/2021 21:46:22

I'm not clever enough to do things without google so I did pound companies house etc on the off chance it referred to something other than microscopic photography or similar, as mentioned. A few names bubbled up from the archives but nothing relevant.

I ran it through an image search as well, nothing similar came up. A real puzzler!

19/08/2021 18:52:50

I notice the clip mounts on a brass (or similar) part, does that mean the clip is a part of the circuit being tested?

19/08/2021 18:48:40

It's got my mental muscles flexing (both of them!).

I wonder if its something to do with lighting, like setting filaments or gaps between electrodes in an arc lamp?

Spark plug gap setting tool for some unusual plugs? (I'm aware you mentioned this earlier)

I'm thinking a variation on the theme of a gunson device, the window allowing you to see the spark. It would explain why so much of it is of an insulating material.

Just complete stabs in the dark, no background knowledge

Edited By Jon Lawes on 19/08/2021 18:51:39

Thread: choices of material to turn
17/08/2021 05:06:24

One of the first things I made was a simple pen. Find a suitable insert (like a parker refill), draw up a basic drawing (a good skill in itself), then source a bit of nicely cutting brass stock. You get to practise knurling, thread cutting (with taps and dies), taper cutting (just using the compound slide), and at the end of it you have something you are proud of. It can be as simple or as complex as you like, my first was over simple. I might make another just to see how far I've come on (not as far as I would hope I reckon!).

Thread: Taper reaming
17/08/2021 05:01:57

Funnily enough, all these years I've just realised I've never used a taper reamer either, but will almost certainly need to soon. Thank you.

Thread: Keeping the workshop cool
16/08/2021 22:15:44
Posted by Jon Lawes on 22/07/2021 10:21:22:

...It's a high tile-roofed single garage in a block of other garages. No door other than the main one. The rear wall faces out onto a domestic garden so I can't easily put ventilation in...

Thread: Filling the boiler
16/08/2021 22:14:04

Some boiler inspectors don't like boilers being filled via threaded fittings (especially safeties) as it means repeated wear on a safety critical thread. I don't think its a rule or anything, but I've been discouraged from doing it myself. It makes sense to me, especially when you consider how long these locomotives will live for if looked after.

I usually fill up through a blow down valve using a cheap caravan water pump. I usually open the blower valve to allow the air to be released. (this is all on a 3.5" locomotive if that helps, I know you were talking about traction engines).

Thread: Ballaarat construction series
04/08/2021 20:51:49

I've started a Wiki page on the SmallLiveSteamEngines site; I'll flesh it out as more information is forthcoming.

https://smalllivesteamengines.fandom.com/wiki/Ballaarat_(5_Gauge)

Edited By Jon Lawes on 04/08/2021 20:52:07

04/08/2021 20:35:10

Fantastic to see a new construction series. Once it's in ME, it's a part of history!

Thread: ARC Eurotrade
29/07/2021 14:20:25

The fact you have taken the time to let people know here does a lot of credit. Thanks.

Thread: Wonderful to be here.
27/07/2021 19:06:51

Are you looking for an original cover or just a cover for safety and tidiness? I don't know if my Walker Turner 900 ever had one but it's got one folded up out of sheet now; it's not too hard to do.

Thread: Reflex Gauge Glass Material
27/07/2021 06:33:07

PB102 for me.

Thread: To paint, or nor to paint.
27/07/2021 06:26:40

After about three trips out my locomotive looked weathered and with an ingrained patina. I guess its earned it, and its prototypical, but its still not going to win any prizes!

That being said, I think that although this would benefit from a nice paint job, it is a shame to cover up the workmanship.

Thread: Dykem Pens
26/07/2021 07:14:06

I use Dykem for sheet or bar stock work and sharpies for smaller items.

Don't do what I did and knock the bottle over the day you buy it, spilling a third of a bottle all over the workbench...

Thread: Hydrogen
23/07/2021 11:10:58

I like wild Promises. Volvo originally pledged that no-one would die in a Volvo car by 2020. They didn't succeed, but if an outrageous target means strong progress derived from it then I'm alright with it.

If we set a wildly high goal then even making progress towards it is better than sitting around saying "That will never work" about everything.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
walker midge
Warco
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
rapid Direct
JD Metals
Dreweatts
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest