By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jon Lawes

Here is a list of all the postings Jon Lawes has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Wonderful to be here.
27/07/2021 19:06:51

Are you looking for an original cover or just a cover for safety and tidiness? I don't know if my Walker Turner 900 ever had one but it's got one folded up out of sheet now; it's not too hard to do.

Thread: Reflex Gauge Glass Material
27/07/2021 06:33:07

PB102 for me.

Thread: To paint, or nor to paint.
27/07/2021 06:26:40

After about three trips out my locomotive looked weathered and with an ingrained patina. I guess its earned it, and its prototypical, but its still not going to win any prizes!

That being said, I think that although this would benefit from a nice paint job, it is a shame to cover up the workmanship.

Thread: Dykem Pens
26/07/2021 07:14:06

I use Dykem for sheet or bar stock work and sharpies for smaller items.

Don't do what I did and knock the bottle over the day you buy it, spilling a third of a bottle all over the workbench...

Thread: Hydrogen
23/07/2021 11:10:58

I like wild Promises. Volvo originally pledged that no-one would die in a Volvo car by 2020. They didn't succeed, but if an outrageous target means strong progress derived from it then I'm alright with it.

If we set a wildly high goal then even making progress towards it is better than sitting around saying "That will never work" about everything.

Thread: Keeping the workshop cool
23/07/2021 06:16:31

Martin, the wax beads idea, although probably not for me, is very intriguing and has given me something to follow up on for interests sake at least, thank you.

As I suspected, my options are fairly limited. I may have to just wait this out for the moment. Thanks for all those who were able to give some ideas, there was certainly a lot of food for thought.

22/07/2021 12:16:03

I don't have any loft insulation; the peaked roof is very tall but I would have to put in a ceiling to insulate it, or I suppose insulate under the tiles directly. I guess the advantages would be year round if I did.

During the colder weather I seriously thought about putting a fan and ducting to take the hot air from the peak down to the floor level; any hot air you introduce into that space with a heater soon disappears vertically!

22/07/2021 10:21:22

Working shifts I'm finding time in the workshop is precious, and right now the only time available is in the afternoon after my workshop has been heat-soaking in the sun all day. It's a high tile-roofed single garage in a block of other garages. No door other than the main one. The rear wall faces out onto a domestic garden so I can't easily put ventilation in.

Does anyone have any tips for reducing the temperature in there please? It's unusable at the moment as its routinely hitting 35 degrees, and even with fans trying to drag the air out its really not helping much.

I know this weather is due to break soon but its a recurring problem whenver it gets a bit warm. I'd be interested in how the model engineers in hotter climates than the UK cope (other than being made of sterner stuff than I).

Thank you,

Jon.

Thread: Mobility scooter spares
19/07/2021 10:41:50

I did. Dealing with the smarmy manager who dealt with it left me feeling quite greasy and grubby. It was a relatively large chain.

Thread: Best soldering iron for electronics
19/07/2021 09:36:04

I've always liked Antex soldering irons, they are good tips for fiddly work, but they are adaptable enough for other tasks. I've never really mucked around with thermostatic irons other than at work (where they tend to get whacked onto 330 for leaded solder and then left alone), at home I've always just used a non-adjustable item. I believe you would probably be fine with a CS18 or XS25, but of course this is just my opinion.

Thread: Mobility scooter spares
19/07/2021 07:02:55

I use a push pull hand control system on my car as I'm missing a leg. The hand controls add around £650 to the cost of every car. I used to make my own, to an almost identical design, for about £30. I didn't ever have much money.

Who can justify spending £650 on modifying a £500 car that probably would only last a year before being thrown away in favour of another car which has 12 months MoT on it? Usually the car I was disposing of was being got rid of due to an electronics failure that had eluded a cheap fix.

I think markets that have a captive audience get exploited. My wife put a 3 inch scratch in a neighbours bumper while parking a couple of years back. We went and told them, and they said as long as it was put right at a good bodyshop they didn't think we needed to go through insurance. I wish we had... The list of charges from the bodyshop included £5 for putting a disposable cover on the drivers seat, and £150 to go to Citroen to reset any error messages that "may" occur (not did occur) as a result of unplugging the parking sensors. That small scratch ended up costing us a few grand. But of course, the insurance companies would just pay it normally, so the prices keep rising...

Thread: Vehicle reversing sensors
18/07/2021 00:44:55

If its anything like aircraft radar, and the signal being transmitted by both was the same (same make and model of sensor maybe?) then I see no reason why one sensor wouldn't be spoofed by the other.

That being said it does expose my ignorance on these sensors. Do the different sensors on the same bumper not interact with each other due to a unique Pulse Repeition Frequency or similar? Interesting stuff....

Thread: Scale gearbox (or how I leaned to love aluminium)
15/07/2021 21:07:47

What a lovely bit of engineering! Now my next question is, can we see the rest of it!

Thread: Walker Midgley Insurance for Model Engineers
14/07/2021 18:55:23

I have messaged them regards some clarification of wording, for example it says that they will only honour a claim if the property is occupied. I'd like to find out if that means being lived in, or actually has people in at the moment of damage or theft... I know it sounds like a daft question but I'd feel more daft if my claim wasn't honoured! More importantly I wanted to know if my workshop is covered as it is remote from my house, but I've yet to hear back.

Thread: General mill engine design
14/07/2021 16:48:34

Do you plan to run on air or steam? Your valve timing will be dictated by your choice. I'm currently doing a similar project. As with yours, I want it to run very smoothly at low pressure and speed so as to be a nice display engine.

Thread: Lathe cover
14/07/2021 15:28:25

I used one from screwfix that has been very good so far.

14/07/2021 14:48:45

I think the lathe cover being porous is a question that divides people: my opinion is that I would rather trapped moisture could escape, however I understand your reasons for asserting that it should be a solid barrier.

As for a machine heater, I have heard of people placing a small bulb (such as a cooker lamp) under their slideways to keep the temperature at a sensible level.

14/07/2021 14:12:59

I use an old wool blanket to stop rapid changes of temperature of the lathe; breathable but able to reduce the risk of sharp temperature gradients that would encourage moisture formation. It's the same blanket my grandad used on the lathe when he bought it new. My workshop is now dehumidified anyway so its more habit than anything, but it's worked for him and his was a workshop cut into a damp hillside with no heating.

Thread: Can't get the hang of HSS!
13/07/2021 15:50:56

Can you show us the HSS tool please? Maybe that will help with diagnosis. Don't lose hope!

Thread: Driving style predicts Alzeimer’s …
13/07/2021 14:56:42
Posted by martin perman on 13/07/2021 11:38:45:

Just spent four days at the Goodwood festival of speed, 280 mile round trip towing my flat pack caravan, only problems I had was younger drivers who dont seem to know what the pretty orange lights are for on their cars, very speed conscious as towing above 60 mph does seem to draw attention to you.

Martin P

I'd imagine towing above 60 would draw attention, isn't the limit 50?

Funny you mention that its always younger drivers that forget to indicate, I usually find the older drivers the guilty parties, especially on roundabouts. I suspect all age groups are guilty, we just perceive one particular group at fault.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
walker midge
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest