By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jon Lawes

Here is a list of all the postings Jon Lawes has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Gloves and machine tools - my stupidity.
09/01/2021 20:24:03

When I worked at Boeing the they took the PPE to the extreme. When walking across the hangar you were required to wear safety shoes and goggles, when within touching distance of the aircraft you were required to wear a bump cap. The penalties for not doing it were fierce. The bump caps were very annoying, trying to work in a small space they would constantly fall off, and the goggles were not much better.

Thread: Gaskets and sealants in the smokebox area???
27/12/2020 19:33:03

I like Loctite 567. It seals well but is also easily disassembled. Rated to around 200 degrees C but I think it comfortably copes with more.

Edited By Jon Lawes on 27/12/2020 19:34:23

Thread: 3.5" Mabel Drawings / Build information
21/12/2020 16:44:24

I wouldn't like to see an infringment in copywrite from copying them, but I imagine there is a second hand set lurking away somewhere. In the meantime, if you struggle, they are available new from Reeves:

Mabel

I have no connection with this company

Edited By Jon Lawes on 21/12/2020 16:44:53

Thread: Size question
20/12/2020 18:48:38

This isn't exactly what you are after but it may help you derive the answer. My understanding is that it is 3.5 between the rails, inner edge to inner edge, but I would need to confirm.

http://www.cheltsme.org.uk/index-wheel_standards.html

This seems to confirm about the width between the rails:

https://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/threads/3-5-gauge-specification.20158/

I guess it doesn't actually matter if you are running on wide rails or narrow ones, the only critical dimension there is how the wheels/flanges sit between the rails.

Thread: new ML7 headstock bearings
20/12/2020 18:38:39

Maybe you could even sell them via Myford themselves.

One point to consider, These are unlikely to be repeat customers. Your new bearings will probably outlast the person who fits them.

Thread: Stuart Sirius powered models
16/12/2020 18:47:46

Jason, although I'd seen the video before I had no idea he used a Sirius in that. Amazing.

br, that would be interesting, I'll message you my email address.

Old School, as I understand it they still crop up for sale now and then, it was called the Alco Firefly. The IWM has a few in its collection including one with an interesting back story of having been used as part of the Czech Resistance during ww2, although I believe many were used by the SOE. Although the generating set itself doesn't look too cumbersome the boiler looks very painful to have to lug around.

16/12/2020 15:23:10

I understand the Stuart Sirius (and all its predecessors) was intended for boats (and also the Alco Firefly...), however has anyone ever used it in any other model? I keep coming back to a hairbrained scheme for using in in an undertype steam lorry but am not too serious about it, mainly because of the reduction gearing required and the steam it would use!

Have you seen any interested uses of these engines (generator sets aside)?

Thread: John Scott-Scott
11/12/2020 19:14:12

I should mention for completeness that the main engine on display in that photo is a Gerald Smith design that John completed.

11/12/2020 18:58:29

I'm lucky enough to be friends with the son of the noted Rocket Scientist (not often this term is used accurately!) John Scott-Scott, one of the founders of Reaction Engines Limited. John sadly passed away a little while ago but his son retains quite a lot of information and photos on the model aircraft engines his father designed and made as a hobby.

John Scott-Scott's engines

I thought it would be nice to collate some of this information into an article on the subject, does anyone have any information they would like to submit? Also, is there any appetite for an article such as this? His handiwork was of the utmost quality and his designs quite interesting.

Thanks,

Jon

Thread: co-axial indicators
11/12/2020 18:50:55

Would tramming the table help in this case? My understanding is that this is something else entirely?

Thread: Mastercard ...
11/12/2020 15:40:10

Or as an alternative view, isn't it good this is happening.

Thread: How does this rotary table bolt down?
09/12/2020 19:27:44

I've bought a cheap rotary table as I primarily want it for making my bolt spacings neater on cylinder end caps etc. But my first thought was, if it does need refining and improving I appear to already have a mill and a lathe....

Thread: Excellent Service
08/12/2020 21:31:03

I've got to say I've had similar experiences with both the above, especially Arc. Just when I've been losing faith with companies to actually deliver good service to the Customer Arc went out of the way to ensure I was completely happy.

Another couple I've had superb service from: Macc Models and M-Machine metals. No personal connection to any of these companies other than as a delighted customer.

Thread: Sourcing Handwheels
08/12/2020 21:24:35

A nice solution John

Thread: Speed limiters for cars from 2022?
04/12/2020 15:58:13

I've had some very quick cars, I've had some very slow cars, and I've had some very fun cars. The latter were usually the slow cars. I've had mk1 MX5s in the past, mainly because you can be driving around with a huge grin without doing 1000mph.

There is entertainment to be had enjoying a small car with skinny tyres; dual carriageway Grand Prix is for the reckless who confuse top speed with driving ability/enjoyment. Where is the fun in straight line speed unless you are on the salt flats?

I'm interested in those who say they had to use acceleration to get out of trouble, I'd love to hear some examples.

I'd rather watch the One Make Racing Championships (usually all cars with a 5th of the bhp of an F1 car) than F1. Driving enjoyment doesn't have to be flat out. If they limit my speed to the legal limit I really wouldn't care. As I understand it my car is limited to 112mph anyway, but as I didn't get it to use on track it doesn't make the slightest difference to me.

Edited By Jon Lawes on 04/12/2020 15:58:52

Thread: what to buy ?
03/12/2020 20:51:49

Prusa seems to be the brand that gets talked about the most. There are cheaper out there, but you end up spending more in the long run.

Thread: Workshop temperature - cold
03/12/2020 20:07:29

I intend at some point to incorporate a device my friend used in his carbon fibre workshop; a drainpipe going to the very top of the ceiling and a duct fan at the base. It was astonishing how warm the air was coming out of the fan. When he started using it he barely had to use the heater anymore.

Thread: Motorcycle General Discussion
29/11/2020 11:11:10

10 Shillings is closer to £10 now. Sometimes people undersell items purely because you see enthusiasm in someone else, especially a youngster. I don't see any reason to doubt the story., and I probably wouldn't have commented even if I did.

Thread: Neil's thread re review of digital calipers
27/11/2020 11:25:16

I've just bought some of M&W budget range and they seem very good for the money.

Thread: Non-renewable energy
27/11/2020 11:20:09

I think the time for burying the head in the sand is over. Sometimes you need to take drastic action in order to force progress; its too easy to sit back doing things the same old way waiting for a better solution to just appear of its own accord.

Even if they don't hit the guidelines, it will galvanise industry into making strides towards those goals rather than just counting the cash until retirement.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest