By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jon Lawes

Here is a list of all the postings Jon Lawes has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: James Scooter
27/03/2020 09:24:31

Ignore the likes of JA. "Rubbish" or not, it's all worthy of restoration or forum's like this wouldn't even exist.

JA, would you walk up to a proud owner at a show and tell them their pride and joy was rubbish or only behind the safety of a forum? I suspect and hope you wouldn't be so crass.

I had a look through my James paperwork but couldn't find anything about the scooters, sorry.

Thread: Websites for the Bored
25/03/2020 18:00:17

I'm lucky enough to have visited that museum in Prague and its fantastic. Highly recommended.

Thread: My First Stationary Engine
15/03/2020 19:17:09

Not only is that engine very beautiful to look at, it sounds like the Jetson's car. smiley

Thread: Ebay deleted listings
15/03/2020 19:10:34

I suspect people are just having a laugh. Which with all these things, assuming you are doing everything else right, is probably the best thing to do.

Thread: Aircraft General Discussion
13/03/2020 21:25:44

My late grandfather always claimed he first heard a sonic boom in the 1940s. When pressed he would admit it was the blade tips of the Harvard.

Thread: Sieg Mill from ArcEurotrade
12/03/2020 18:04:09

Fair enough, order placed.

12/03/2020 16:57:20

After a lot of deliberation I think I'm probably going to go for a Sieg mill from ArcEurotrade, does anyone know if they have sales or special offers? I'm not in a screaming rush but I'll happily wait if I'm likely to save a few pennies (it's a huge purchase for me).

Cheers,

Jon.

Thread: What sort of things DO NOT inspire you
23/02/2020 10:44:57

Getting embroiled in pettiness when this hobby is about enjoying what we do. I love to learn about new skills, and get constantly annoyed with how slowly I seem to pick them up myself. I'm very lucky that my local MES is so supportive and patient!

Basically anything that strips the enjoyment out of what is supposed to be fun. Not many of us are lucky enough to do this full time. I'm 30 years off of retirement but I'd love to have the time to do these things before my eyes get totally knackered.

Thread: Recovering from disaster
20/02/2020 12:05:42

Maybe its worth getting an agreed value on some items. How can you explain that a 50 year old lathe isn't just old junk to someone with no interest to whom you are just one of 100 calls a day?

Thread: Brian's 1" Minnie Traction Engine
17/02/2020 23:27:18

I would imagine not; there isn't any pressure there.

Thread: Switches
17/02/2020 11:57:47

I'm not sure if I'm understanding the question correctly, but if its marked as Normally Open then that refers to its state of rest, i.e. not being operated by a finger or whatever. If the switch has two output terminals, say one of each type, they should be clearly marked Normally Open or Normally Closed, either on the switch itself or the datasheet. As a last resort (or a good idea with a switch of unknown provenance!) just a quick check with a multimeter will clear things up.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2020
13/02/2020 15:26:29

I started setting the valve timing of my William Prairie.

Thread: Back after 15 years
28/01/2020 22:11:09

Welcome back to the most rewarding hobby I've ever had. I'm proof you don't have to be good at something to enjoy it, but by the looks of it you are already ahead of the game!

Thread: Beaten and robbed.
27/01/2020 10:47:45
Posted by Steviegtr on 27/01/2020 10:14:54:
Posted by Tricky on 27/01/2020 08:54:26:
Posted by not done it yet on 27/01/2020 08:12:21:

I read the first sentence (possibly the only full stop in it?). I suppose at least he told us it would have been boring, so easily avoided at the first line.

I lost count of the number of full stops as, in fact, the sentences are very short which is much better than some of the rambles that go on here. I thought limited attention span was a fault of today's youth smiley

I am sorry for such a long post & the bad grammer used. I left school to start an apprenticeship at 15, having only been interested in Science & Metalwork. The rest I flopped. Probably should know better at 67yrs young.

I don't think you need to apologise.

Don't forget for those whose eyesight isn't perfect (like me) its possible to zoom the screen on most computers.

27/01/2020 10:46:42

I've bought and sold many cars on eBay, over the years I would guess 10? All for personal use, I'm no trader. The only issue I've had was when a chap who bought an old V6 Mondeo off of me got halfway home before the gearbox blew up. It showed no signs of a problem previously, but had been parked up for a while so maybe some sediment had settled. He rang me on the off chance of a refund, but it was a £1500 car, bought privately. Buying any car privately at that end of the market is a risk for both buyer and seller. As with any of these things, go in eyes wide open and being realistic.

I've also avoided looking at cars that were too cheap to be true when the seller told me to meet him at an abandoned pub carpark with the cash....

Thread: 1/9 Halifax Bomber Undercarriage
29/12/2019 13:39:03

Welcome,

That would have been hydraulic retraction, are you looking for something that looks the part or is an exact replica of the system? Either way it's a fair chunk of effort, I would suggest you make it clear what the deal would be; paying for time and materials etc.

**LINK**

Thread: Slight repair required
20/12/2019 10:04:24

Piasecki were not always the very pinnacle of aircraft engineers...

If you haven't already look up the PA-97 Helistat.

Edited By Jon Lawes on 20/12/2019 10:04:41

Thread: "Reclaimed Iron Cogs" on Ebay UK
20/12/2019 09:17:03

I may be being a little over-cautious here, and I don't want to unfairly slur anyone, but I am slightly unsettled by someone selling something with such value for so little as they don't know what it is. Surely the original owner wouldn't have let them just go for peanuts, unless it was a poorly carried out bereavement sale or similar?

The rest of that sellers items appear to be cast iron items, possibly sifted from a scrap heap before smelting?

Maybe I'm being a worrywart.

Thread: Adhesive to bond metal to glass
20/12/2019 09:12:27

Just a warning, don't be tempted to use an araldite type adhesive (unless its their glass specific adhesive). My grandfather used some to refit his rear-view mirror to the windscreen on an car he owned. What we suspect was the exothermic reaction caused by the hardening process caused the glass to crack a few minutes later!

Thread: Piston Fit
30/11/2019 21:52:08

What a lovely little engine. Top work.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Ausee.com.au
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Warco
Allendale Electronics
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest