By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jon Lawes

Here is a list of all the postings Jon Lawes has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Making a knurled thumb wheel
11/05/2021 14:18:43

I look forward to more videos. We all make errors while we work, which most of the time we get away with (and on nasty occasions don't), I guess we need to be very squeaky clean when instructing to others.

Keep it up, when I'm not in the workshop myself the next best thing is learning from videos like these.

Thread: down scaling
05/05/2021 04:47:03

For straight lines I guess multiply by 0.7, but obviously you wouldn't want to scale anything boiler related like that.

That's just a stab in the dark mind...

Thread: Watchmakers / Jewellers Drill
04/05/2021 18:44:43

Is it a pin chuck?

Thread: Fitting a Drill Chuck Confusion
04/05/2021 18:43:28

Yes its a friction fit. For longevity keep it clean of swarf, but yes a tap with a rubber mallet can help. You don't need to swing it like thor, just a tap.

I've made a small hammer for tapping and aligning things (brass headed) which I keep hung up near the lathe; I've made the handle length right for popping down the centre of the tailstock for tapping the taper back out.

Thread: Magnetic swarf
03/05/2021 17:17:14

That sounds very much like a non-problem.

Thread: Stand for milling machine
28/04/2021 07:34:26

Rigid, Level, easy to brush down, and with the ability to put extra lighting in would help! Also if you are planning to run coolant that is worth thinking about now, I don't personally.

I know it seems basic but I have spoken to someone who has made this mistake so it's worth mentioning; the total width required is not just the width of the bed, but the width of the bed at the extremes of its travel! It's worth noting if you are planning to bolt it to the floor in a corner.

Incorporating some storage would also be really helpful. Again, probably basic stuff you have already considered.

Thread: Inroducing lathes article in 303
27/04/2021 09:17:03

Excuse my ignorance, are there any colour combinations that work for all colour deficiencies? By making a chart better for one group do we alienate another?

Question asked purely as I don't know the answer, not intentionally rude!

Thread: Does size matter
26/04/2021 18:46:35

It looks like he is skimming a commutator or slip ring without removing it!

Thread: Does anyone know what this is for?
26/04/2021 18:45:09

It does have a hint of industrial sewing machine about it. Maybe stitching rope into sails is it.

26/04/2021 15:12:40

Does anyone else suspect the top of the frame is hinged with the lower half? I wondered about making chain links or similar bearing in mind the small roller looking like its intended to guide rod or rope on this side (ignoring the two larger rollers for a second). On the top it looks like the machined surface comes to rest against the other surface.

Thread: Model differential
26/04/2021 10:25:52

Lovely work, superb.

Thread: crankcase construction
26/04/2021 06:15:16

I attended a lecture at Bristol University by one of the lead designers from TVR. He was talking about the TVR Speed 12, and mentioned that the original homologation rules called for a very low number of cars needing to be produced, so they just fabricated the blocks from welded plate. Then the homologation rules were finalised for the class they were racing in and the numbers were much higher, so rather than redo the design they just built these engines on a production line, out of welded plate...

For those interested, Some other interesting gems came out of that lecture, such as the Speed 12 radiator being part of the space frame (so you basically had to repair it or unweld it...), that they tried running the exhausts down the prop tunnel but realised the diff cooler was going to need to be bigger than the radiator... it was originally going to be a Speed 10 but at the time only Dodge made a 10 cylinder engine and as rivals they were told to poke off when they asked to use their ignition system so TVR made it a 12 cylinder engine instead...

Thread: Parting off 25mm copper
26/04/2021 06:09:37

There are times when you need to be brave and part off, and times when you pick the quicker and less stressful option and grab the hacksaw! For me personally this would be one of those times. I've made a small bit of wood that fits snugly over the bed under the chuck to protect it for exactly these times.

Thread: RR Merlin Scale Models
24/04/2021 09:34:47

Maybe they were put off by the previous comment and didn't want to deviate this thread off track, or decided not to engage as sometimes it just isn't worth it when the person asking has been disagreeable to converse with.

Thread: Rex Tingley Valveless design
23/04/2021 14:42:57

Thank you

Thread: Buying a used car
22/04/2021 21:44:48

If the mileage lines up then maybe there isn't any skullduggery at play. The MoT's could be because someone was trying to correct a pesky fault, like emmissions. But it does suggest it has had niggles in the past. Could be fine now of course.

Thread: What to do when you lose something
22/04/2021 21:30:02

My grandad complained for years that I had nabbed his good phillips screwdriver when we were restoring my Morris Minor. About five or six years later I took the glovebox out to get to some wiring and there it was, tucked into something holding a clip back. It had done about 35,000 miles jammed in there.

Thread: Buying a used car
22/04/2021 21:27:22

That isn't a rare car; if thats the model you are after there must be a hundred out there that don't have black marks over their history.

Personally, if in doubt, walk away. The dealer will have an explaination, but what dealer wouldn't?

Thread: Rex Tingley Valveless design
22/04/2021 21:25:12

Ah, thats cunning. Thank you

22/04/2021 18:48:35

Whilst idly browsing the internet I found mention of Rex Tingley's Valveless design of locomotive.

Sugar

I can't find mention of how he achieved this "valveless" operation. Can anyone enlighten me please?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Warco
JD Metals
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest