By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Jon Lawes

Here is a list of all the postings Jon Lawes has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: How can I make an accurate 90 grind using a diamond whetstone?
27/10/2021 21:18:37

I don't have anything useful to add in this instance (I seldom do), but I if the OP isn't being up front with what they are using it for it seems a bit of a cheek to be supporting their own profit with the goodwill of a hobbyist forum. Does anyone fancy popping over to take on my night shift for me?

Thread: What spray do you use to stop your tools from rusting?
27/10/2021 20:35:22

I use duck oil, but it would appear I'm on my own on that one!

Thread: Etching Primer - Brass
27/10/2021 20:34:16

I tend to use U-Pol Acid 8 for everything as well. It's really rather good. Used it on my locomotive, which was all brass. In the areas that got chipped in transit I touched up without using the primer and it really didn't adhere as well.

Thread: How can I make an accurate 90 grind using a diamond whetstone?
27/10/2021 20:32:47

What is this for? Is it a commercial enterprise?

Thread: Vice
23/10/2021 00:57:21

Phantom limb pains are keeping me awake, at least thats how I'm justifying the fact I just looked up the origin of the word Vice (with relation to this tool). Apparently it comes from the Old french Vis, which comes from the latin Vitis, for vine.

So none of us are spelling it right, depending how far back you go.

There is something very satisfying about refurbishing the equipment that only usually gets used for working on other things. It almost feels like payback.

Thread: Cladding material
12/10/2021 22:34:59

This all seems a lot harder than just using Brass. It's really not that expensive when you consider its the finishing touch and will be one of the most visible parts of the locomotive.

I used Acid #8 (I think its called) etch primer and have had no problem with flaking or similar; I then painted used an automotive enamel which went on like glass on the boiler barrel. The only places I had issues was the side tank where my son painted over our decals with a varnish which subsequently reacted with the enamel and wrinkled.

Thread: Transporting 5 inch live steam loco
11/10/2021 20:45:56

I use a motorcycle lift, the type advertised as Motorcycle Hydraulic Scissor lift. It cost me about £110, (pre-brexit, things may have changed). I pump it up to the height of the workbench (which is effectively full extension), slide the transport box onto it, wheel the whole assembly out to the car, then lower it to my boot. I can then just lift it one side at a time into the boot. I chose a car with no lip on the boot for this reason, an XC40. At no point do I have to do any heavy lifting; I'm an amputee and carrying things can be quite difficult.

My transport case is marine ply with two lengths of railway track on it, when you lower the box over the top and clip it on, the buffers prevent it rolling back and forth. The main advantage of the transport case for me is not worrying if anything else in the boot is peeling off handrails and such.

Thread: Could you get away with this today
10/10/2021 23:21:33

Being interested in steam engines I find myself often defending anarchronisms. I think this humour was very much of it's time; I'm glad we have moved on. Progress isn't always to be feared.

Thread: Chain Protection Sleeve
10/10/2021 11:35:09

We sometimes use the same (or visually very similar) material on aircraft to sleeve looms.

Thread: HELP needed
08/10/2021 10:18:51

I use citric acid as well. I use mine in a new budget Tesco kettle to warm it before pickling. I confess I never worked out the concentration, I just added a handful to an almost full kettle. It lasts a while.

Thread: Build a Pallet Beehive
08/10/2021 10:17:21

An interesting reply, thanks Jonathan.

Thread: 1/20th Scale Traction Engine
08/10/2021 06:35:58

Probably this one, although I can't be sure. It's certainly a very skilled Nigel.

Miniature Traction Engine

Thread: Walker Midgley Prize Draw for Model Engineers
06/10/2021 22:07:13

As they are paid supporters of the forum I think its a small price to pay; as Jason says they really do their best to keep on top of the non-official spammers that often flood forums like this, with a very small team.

The only thing I would say is that my previous WM quote for my workshop insurance was £183, which is more than my car insurance...

Thread: Hi from the sunny south coast of Dorset
06/10/2021 22:01:33

I'm in North Dorset, the bit the sun skips in favor of the south! Welcome Jon. With any luck your students will be able to see some model engineering in the flesh soon to get the inspiration flowing.

Thread: Accuracy of Hand Drilled holes
06/10/2021 21:59:40

I can't drill with that accuracy using a DRO on the mill...

Thread: Mc Donald Model tractor
04/10/2021 07:24:46

I'll enjoy your success by proxy; there is nothing quite like the feeling when it all comes together!

Fantastic work.

Thread: Ballaarat construction series
02/10/2021 09:40:05

Anything that encourages some continuation in this hobby sounds fantastic to me. He's made a lovely job there.

Thread: What Material for this Application Please?
01/10/2021 11:08:26

Another vote for the aluminium composite sheets; that design is a massive sail!

It's very strong and could be painted or left as the manufacturers coloured surface.

Thread: M6 thread locking/stiff screw
30/09/2021 19:46:10

I never would have thought of strimmer cord, fantastic,

Thread: Silver soldering stainless steel
30/09/2021 18:03:57

Agreed, I like hearing the responses as its all learning.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Warco
cowells
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
walker midge
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest