By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Stuart Smith 5

Here is a list of all the postings Stuart Smith 5 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: WM16 or SX2
18/09/2020 23:24:13

Paul

I have machined mild steel, aluminium and brass but not yet stainless steel. I don’t think you will have any problems doing what you want to do with any of the mills you are looking at. Though I am only a beginner and have only used it to make a small stationary engine and various tools for the workshop so far.

Stuart

18/09/2020 23:18:39

Paul

I don’t know if you have spotted it, but Nigel has a SX2.7 not the SX2 you are looking at. The mechanism on the SX2.7 to raise and lower the head and quill is similar to the WM16, but on the SX2 it only has one handle which raises and lowers the whole head. There is also a fine feed for the quill on all three models.

Stuart

Thread: close account
17/09/2020 19:52:07
Posted by Vic on 17/09/2020 12:12:04:

I don’t understand why some of you are being so belligerent. The OP has just asked if there is a mechanism to remove him from the forum. If there is then having asked surely he’s entitled to be removed? If not then a brief explanation from a moderator will surely suffice.

My feelings as well. If someone wants to be removed there must surely be a mechanism for this.

Stuart

Thread: WM16 or SX2
17/09/2020 19:44:56

Paul

I have a WM16 that I bought secondhand. I have no experience of other mills but I am happy with mine.

It is the same as the one advertised. The 2 speed ranges are selected by a high/low knob engaging the appropriate gears, so no belt to change ranges.

The MT2 spindle has an ejector mechanism, so no need to hit the end to release the chuck.

The head can be raised and lowered by a knob at the top right hand side of the column, unlike the SX2.

Stuart

Thread: Suspicious Direct Debit Attempt "GC re Future Publishing"
16/09/2020 12:07:09

Clive

Your experience prompted me to look online and I found this website on direct debits.

**LINK**d

It has some useful information.

Stuart

Thread: Which Milling machine and what is its footprint?
07/09/2020 00:44:59

Roger

It is relatively easy to split into 3 parts that can be lifted by 2 people.

I bought my WM 16 secondhand and took the head and the table off to move it. This just left the base and column together. It was in a 1st floor workshop at the previous owners house and we carried the 3 parts downstairs and into my car without any problem. Same to reassemble at my house.

Stuart

Thread: Mystery post
31/08/2020 11:26:40

It is most likely a box belonging to the local council street lighting department.

It may be worth a call or email to them.

Regarding Dave (SOD)‘S suggestion to open the box. DON’T !! Apart from the fact it belongs to someone else, you don’t know what you may find inside. If it contains electrical equipment it may be in poor condition and also you might not be able get it to lock again.

Stuart

Thread: Mini lathe blown fuses and Motor overheating
28/08/2020 19:21:18

If you need a motor or control board, Amadeal sell these and most other parts for their CJ18A mini lathe. ( I think this will be the same as your 618 lathe. There are photos of the motor and control board on their website.

Stuart

Thread: back issues of ME
28/08/2020 11:26:47

Bricky

If you look on eBay you will see one for sale.

Stuart

Thread: How to stop scam phone calls for good?
26/08/2020 22:20:27

Ian

The BT phones I mentioned do not block a genuine caller such as the hospital. They just ask the person ringing to say who they are.

That is the big advantage over our old Panasonic phones for instance which were not as sophisticated.

As you say, phones that block all unknown numbers cause problems for genuine callers.

Stuart

26/08/2020 17:11:39

Buy a BT branded phone (or phones) with call screening and blocker built in.

See my earlier post.

Since we have had this we have had no nuisance calls.

Any number you have programmed into your contacts gets through straightaway. They don’t even know you have call screening.

Other callers get a recorded message asking them to say their name. The phone rings and plays their name and you decide to accept the call, block the number or let it go to the answerphone. So genuine callers, such as doctors, hospital etc will give their name and the phone will ring.

This gives the best of all worlds. No nuisance calls, friends and family get through as normal and other genuine callers get through by announcing their name. Can be used with any network and no ongoing cost once you have bought the phone.

Stuart

Edited By Stuart Smith 5 on 26/08/2020 17:12:10

Thread: KITS
25/08/2020 20:14:29

It seems like the auction has been stopped by the threat of legal action. See this newspaper article:

**LINK**

I was also interested in some of the items, but if the training centre can be saved or taken over by another organisation, this is a good thing surely.

If you look at the terms and conditions of the auction, they are not obliged to sell, even to the highest bidder. No doubt the auction house will have spent money and will be eligible to be paid for their abortive costs.

Stuart

Edited By Stuart Smith 5 on 25/08/2020 20:15:02

Thread: Laptop power supplies
24/08/2020 13:55:07

Seem to be some very complicated scenarios being proposed here.

Surely the most likely is an intermittent open circuit on the lead from the PSU and a battery which is not holding it’s charge.

If the laptop is always used via the mains, a worn out battery may go undetected.

I suggest just buying a replacement PSU initially and see if this fixes the problem. Probably best to avoid the ultra cheap but a reasonably priced compatible one should be OK.

Stuart

Thread: Cut down DRO
21/08/2020 13:36:37

I fitted one to my Warco WM16 in place of the standard one. I have made a small circuit to connect it to a cheap android tablet running the TouchDRO app. ( I have 3 axes ) .

I cut it to length with no problems.

I initially fitted 2 of these to the x and y axes but found the display as supplied a bit small, so that’s why I am using the TouchDRO app. Plus it has extra features.

Stuart

Thread: Waiting for my copy of MEW
08/08/2020 10:49:13

Mine just arrived too.

Thread: Arduino low power alternatives
07/08/2020 09:33:15

John

There is a lot of useful information on using a bare atmega328 on the Arduino website.

**LINK**

Another alternative would be a PIC micro, but you would need a programmer and different programming software. I have used PICs in the past and there is a massive choice depending on what you want to do, but there is no doubt the Arduino is easier to programme.

Stuart

Thread: Bulbs Electric Life of
24/07/2020 22:52:11

You could use an LED and a circuit from this website to control the brightness :

**LINK**

Stuart

Thread: How to stop scam phone calls for good?
21/07/2020 21:49:23

Just noticed that Martin Hamilton has recommended the same BT phones and he has had no unwanted calls either.

Stuart

21/07/2020 21:45:32

We were always being pestered by nuisance calls, so I bought a BT branded cordless phone (actually have 3 phones but you can get just the one). This incorporates call screening and blocking facilities without any extra ongoing costs and can be used with any service provider.

Have had it for a couple of years now and it has completely stopped nuisance calls.

You can programme friends, family etc in and they get through straight away. Any number not in the list gets a recorded message asking who is calling. A legitimate caller responds, the phone then rings and plays the callers message. You can choose to accept or reject the call, or leave it to let the answerphone switch in. Scammers and nuisance callers don’t respond and also silent calls don’t even cause the phone to ring.

Cant recommend it highly enough.

It incorporates Truecall technology, but there are no ongoing costs.

Stuart

Thread: Copper boiler plate flanging, or not?
09/07/2020 11:08:57

Bob

You might find these videos interesting. They show how Blackgates Engineering make the boiler plates for their Sweet Pea boiler kit.

**LINK**

**LINK**

Stuart

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
Warco
EngineDIY
cowells
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest