By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Stuart Smith 5

Here is a list of all the postings Stuart Smith 5 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Advice on removing column from mini-Mill
10/05/2021 15:50:13

Adrian

Just a thought, but could you remove the head from the column by winding it to the top?

Stuart

10/05/2021 11:40:07

Adrian

I have found that Grizzly tools in the USA have similar mills and lathes to the ones sold here. That also have very good manuals with detailed parts drawings etc.

I have had a quick look and this one looks like it might be the same as yours:

**LINK**

I don’t know if this will help you but I have a Warco WM16 and the Grizzly equivalent manual has a lot of useful info, so maybe you can work out what you need

Stuart

Thread: Failed to get this digital clock kit working :(
09/05/2021 10:53:30

Michael

After checking that all the components are installed the correct way round.

I would suggest removing the uP chip and power up the board from a 5volt supply.

Check that the supply voltages around the board are correct.

It will be possible then to test the buzzer and display by using jumpers to simulate what the uP should do.

The other thing that occurs to me if all this is OK is do you need to start the clock by pressing the 2 buttons in a particular order?

Stuart

Thread: Whatever must IKB be thinking ?!
08/05/2021 18:11:48

Just looking at Michaels link to the Newton Aycliffe plant, it looks like they don’t actually manufacture there, just final assembly.

Quote “ No actual manufacturing operation takes place at the site; it assembles components built elsewhere into completed trains.

Stuart

Thread: Shipping to the EU - beware!
07/05/2021 13:54:13

You could try this contact:

**LINK**

He is listed as President of UPS UK operations.

I don’t suppose you would get a sensible response but it might be worth a go.

Stuart

Update - it may be that he has been replaced https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/ups-leadership-changes-europe-lou-rivieccio

Edited By Stuart Smith 5 on 07/05/2021 13:55:21

Edited By Stuart Smith 5 on 07/05/2021 14:05:09

Thread: Phone Caller ID does not work
04/05/2021 20:51:02

Nigel

Yes, the phones I have are BT branded and say incorporates ‘Truecall technology’.

They work with any operator and don’t need a subscription as long as you have caller ID enabled on your line.

I had originally looked at buying a standalone Truecall box that sits between your incoming line and your phone(s), but it was more expensive than the phones to buy. Also it only included 12 months full access to its features, after that you had to take out a subscription. With the BT phones you just need to buy the phone(s).

Stuart

04/05/2021 20:03:04

Peter

I can only say what I have experienced. In the 2 or more years we have had these phones, we have not had a single nuisance call. Before that, we were getting multiple calls per day.

We still get a few call attempts but the phone doesn’t ring, so I only know about it when I look at the call list.

Stuart

04/05/2021 11:01:45

We were always being pestered by nuisance calls, so I bought a BT branded cordless phone (actually have 3 phones but you can get just the one). This incorporates call screening and blocking facilities without any extra ongoing costs and can be used with any service provider.

Have had it for a couple of years now and it has completely stopped nuisance calls.

You can programme friends, family etc in and they get through straight away. Any number not in the list gets a recorded message asking who is calling. A legitimate caller responds, the phone then rings and plays the callers message. You can choose to accept or reject the call, or leave it to let the answerphone switch in. Scammers and nuisance callers don’t respond and also silent calls don’t even cause the phone to ring.

Cant recommend it highly enough.

It incorporates Truecall technology, but there are no ongoing costs.

See previous thread https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=171962

Stuart

Edited By Stuart Smith 5 on 04/05/2021 11:03:32

Thread: DRO Z-Axis /4th axis "combiner"
03/05/2021 00:53:07

I have just started to make this and had trouble uploading the sketch to my Arduino nano. I hadn’t noticed the previous suggestions to use the ‘old boot loader’ option, so I only realised the problem when I looked on the suppliers website and found the information. I haven’t had this issue before with other nanos.

Anyway it has loaded ok now and is working on a breadboard. Just need to make it permanent.

One thing I spotted when looking for ‘encoder.h’ was a note to say that as only pins 2 & 3 can be used as external interrupts an the nano, they should be the first in the ‘Encoder scale1(x,y);’ definitions. (So that it uses interrupts). So I changed the 2 lines from ‘Encoder scale1(4,2); ‘ to ‘Encoder scale1(2,4);’ & from ‘Encoder scale2(5,3);’ to ‘Encoder scale1(3,5);’. See **LINK**. Assuming this info is correct, if one of the encoders needs reversing, the actual data wires will need to be swapped, rather than the sketch changed.

Stuart

Thread: How Do I Open Walker-Midgeley Documents Please?
30/04/2021 12:23:38

I don’t know if this applies to WM insurance, but my car insurance documents (from a different insurer) require me to enter my date of birth to open them. They are PDFs but must have some security added to them.

As far as I am aware, the Adobe pdf reader software is still free. I have it on my windows 8 laptop. I don’t recall being bombarded with requests for payment or anything like that.

Have you checked with WM to see if there are any special requirements to open the docs?

Stuart

Thread: Care home fees and what they want.'
28/04/2021 00:24:35

Who is asking for this information? Is it the local authority? As I understand it, local authority will do a needs and financial assessment, but if the person who needs care has over £23500 the LA will not contribute. So I presume if you know you are in this position and intend to self fund there would be no need to divulge the info you mention.

The other issue is whether your mother has arranged a lasting power of attorney giving someone (for example yourself) the power to make decisions on her behalf. If not , it may be necessary to apply to the Court of Protection to be appointed as Deputy. If you need to do this, they will need all the financial info, it takes quite a while to be sorted out, they charge a annual fee and require you to pay an insurance premium. Plus provide annual updates .

If your mothers medical conditions and care needs meet the requirements, there is also NHS Continuing Healthcare. If assessed as being eligible, the NHS will pay the fees.

I am not a professional in this, just info obtained from experience.

Stuart

ps I would suggest getting professional advice.

Edited By Stuart Smith 5 on 28/04/2021 00:26:06

Thread: Lathe DRO
18/04/2021 13:58:34

Jim

As Nigel and Brian say, the ‘whats this’ is the fixing for a clear plastic guard. I have just received the extra scale I bought from Warco to fit to my WM290. It has a max travel of 100mm and I intend to fix it in front of the compound using the the 2 threaded holes intended for the guard and the t slots. I haven’t exactly worked out how to do it yet but it looks like it will fit. I have just measured the compound travel on mine and it is 70mm.

Stuart

Thread: Arduino CNC Board
16/04/2021 11:51:12

Is this what you are looking for?

**LINK**

Stuart

Thread: Lathe DRO
13/04/2021 16:59:10

Jim

I have just bought a WM290 from Warco which has a factory fitted 2 axis DRO.

I haven’t used it in anger yet, but as Jason says, the carriage hand wheel movement is quite coarse at 0.5 mm per increment on the scale.
I am only a beginner having had a mini lathe for only a couple of years, but fitted a diy dro system to that using 4 cheap digital calipers, a homemade Arduino interface and the TouchDRO app on a tablet.

I have just ordered an extra linear scale from Warco to fit to the compound **LINK**

I am going to make a combiner similar to this one **LINK** to add the new compound scale to the existing z axis.

I suppose it depends on your level of experience and what you want to make, but I find it difficult to take accurate cuts with just the carriage hand wheel and use the compound.

Stuart

Edited By Stuart Smith 5 on 13/04/2021 17:00:15

Thread: Sky tv controllers
08/04/2021 23:37:15

Clive

I have sent you a PM.

Stuart

Thread: strange 240v pump 'switching'
04/04/2021 12:01:17

Tony

Could it be an internal overload trip (possibly a temperature sensor on the motor) that is operating then resetting?

You don’t say if it is pumping water, but there may be a blockage.

Stuart

Edited By Stuart Smith 5 on 04/04/2021 12:09:14

Thread: Component Suppliers - Recommendations?
30/03/2021 17:44:22

I use CPC a lot. They are part of Farnell group and have a massive range. Generally cheaper than RS. **LINK**

I also use 2 smaller companies Hobbycomponents **LINK**

and Hobbytronics **LINK**. They both usually despatch the same day.

Stuart

Thread: Annoying phone calls
25/03/2021 17:36:43

We were always being pestered by nuisance calls, so I bought a BT branded cordless phone (actually have 3 phones but you can get just the one). This incorporates call screening and blocking facilities without any extra ongoing costs and can be used with any service provider.

Have had it for a couple of years now and it has completely stopped nuisance calls.

You can programme friends, family etc in and they get through straight away. Any number not in the list gets a recorded message asking who is calling. A legitimate caller responds, the phone then rings and plays the callers message. You can choose to accept or reject the call, or leave it to let the answerphone switch in. Scammers and nuisance callers don’t respond and also silent calls don’t even cause the phone to ring.

Cant recommend it highly enough.

It incorporates Truecall technology, but there are no ongoing costs.

Stuart

Thread: Chester mill spares amazing
23/03/2021 22:59:00

Peter

The head is just held by 2 bolts ( numbers 8 and 9 on the Grizzly drawing). Number 9 is a captive t-bolt so you just need to remove the nut and washers. This is used to stop the head rotating.

The central bolt 9 and washers can be removed complete.

You don’t need to remove any other nuts/ bolts.

I lowered the head onto a block of wood on the table to take the weight off the head and wound the table with head on it forward then lifted it off. The control box and wiring is attached to the head so comes off as one.

I removed the table and saddle as one by undoing the 2 screws holding the y axis bearing holder and removing the y axis lead screw assembly. I then removed the y axis lead screw nut (71 on the Grizzly drawing) . This is held by 2 Allen key bolts accessed from underneath the back of the saddle. I could then pull the saddle off complete with table attached. I didn’t remove the gib but with hindsight I should have done.

Hope this helps.

Stuart

23/03/2021 20:08:13

Peter

I have a Warco WM16 mill which looks to be the same design as the Chester 20v.

I bought it secondhand and it was in a first floor workshop with access via a narrow staircase.

I split it into 3 parts to move it.

I removed the head in one complete part with just 3 nuts/bolts to remove. I watched this video on you tube to see how to do it. He went over the top making a block to hold it. I just lowered mine onto a block of wood on the table. **LINK**

Then I removed the table just leaving the base and column together. I removed the complete x/ y table by winding it forwards. I had to remove the lead screw nut from under the table . It was held in place by 2 screws, accessed from the back. This is the heaviest part but one person can lift it though best with 2. (My son in law moved it from my car to my workshop on his own before I had chance to help!)

Myself and previous owner carried the parts down the stairs between us without any problems.

So you should have no trouble doing the same.

You can download a manual from the US site of Grizzly tools which looks like the same design. https://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/g0704_m.pdf

Stuart

Edited By Stuart Smith 5 on 23/03/2021 20:10:53

Edited By Stuart Smith 5 on 23/03/2021 20:15:15

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
JD Metals
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest