By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Dazza

Here is a list of all the postings Dazza has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: What DRO to get?
18/04/2019 14:26:00

That's a separate box which would be great if you already had DRO fitted and wanted to add a 4 axis to you existing read out. The EMS-I EM750 LCD read out does the summing internally, minimizing the amount of cables and connections required.

18/04/2019 14:12:03

I normally don't reply much on forums, but I recently purchased a 4 axis magnetic DRO system for my new Warco VMC mill. I got it from EMS-I in Lancashire. They have a EM750 LCD read out that has 4 axis display and any 2 axis can be summed together. Not the cheapest DRO system but seems very nice so far. I'm just starting to fit the magnetic scales to the VMC over the Easter holidays.

Thread: Draining down compressors
15/12/2017 11:05:56

Hi Peak4,

I have a very large 3 phase compressor in my workshop at work. When the compressor company fitted it, they fitted an air dryer unit to the output of the compressor, as I use it to blow out dust and pressure test from environmental inspection cameras. They also fitted an automatic solenoid valve to the drain at the bottom of the reservoir as the compressor is fitted in a plant room at the rear of the building. This automatic drain is timed to dump into a permanent drain once every 24 hours. I would talk to a compressor supply company and they should be able to point you in the correct direction.

Regards,

Dazza

Thread: Which collet chuck for a Warco GH1236 lathe
02/11/2017 18:56:13

Just home from work and read through all the posts. I’m really confused now. Lol

JasonB The multisize collets look nice but very expensive. Not sure if I could justify the price after buying a new lathe as well

I’m tending to lean towards the ER40 collets as they give me the largest grip range per collet size.

Maybe also a 5MT to 5C adapter if I need to hold short parts in a limited range of 5C collets.

Thanks for the info.

Darren

02/11/2017 13:29:43

Hi Jason,

Whats a multisize collet chuck? That's not a name i've come across on the web. Would you have a link on where to get one so I can compare it to the 5C and ER40?

Thanks,

Darren

02/11/2017 13:27:14

Hi David,

Yes I need to pass my bar stock through the spindle. I thought both the 5C and ER40 collet chucks allowed this. Am i wrong in thinking this?

Thanks,

Darren

02/11/2017 13:02:05

Hi guys,

I've finally made up my mind. I'm going to buy a new Warco GH1236 lathe. However, now i'm stuck on what collet chuck to get. I was thinking either a 5C or an ER40 collet chuck. I mostly use metric bar stock. Could you please give me you opinions on which type of collet chuck would be best for use on a lathe?

Kind regards,

Darren

Thread: Lathe Upgrade
04/10/2017 13:07:42

Thanks for the kind offer of a photo of the compound Graeme W. I was also looking at the GH1236 on Warco's website. It looks maybe more what I'm looking for. I don't really need the larger swing than my WM250V. It's the longer bed length I want. Does anyone know if the GH1236 is built as solidly as the larger GH1330? They look similar in the brochure and the GH1330 is only 60 Kgs heavier.

I've spent weeks scouring the web trying to pick a new lathe. It's so hard to make ones mind up.laugh

03/10/2017 11:33:33

Thanks for the fast replies. I think most of these lathes are built in either China or Taiwan with slightly different colour schemes or minor differences. I've just had a look at the Warco GH1330. It looks like a nice machine. Does anyone here have one who could give their opinion on how it runs? Especially the compound and compound swivel. I had allot of chatter caused by the compound on my WM250V so I ended up making a solid tool post block but that makes threading difficult. Has anyone got a photo of the compound on the GH1330? Is it done the same way as the WM250V with just 2 bolts? Also I thread mostly metric threads. Do you still have to use change gears for the different metric thread pitches?

Again thank you for the fast responses and information.

Darren

03/10/2017 10:35:55

Hi I'm new here. I'm thinking of a lathe upgrade. I currently have a Warco WM250V which is a variable speed lathe. I'm thinking of upgrading to a gear head lathe and was wondering what you would suggest as a suitable model from either Warco / Chester etc.

I'm an electronics engineer by trade, but I also repair large industrial pumps in work. I used to have access to several large engineering lathes before the boss sold off our engineering section a few years ago. All of my work machining is now outsourced to a local machine shop and I have no longer got access to the larger machines I once did.

My boss says I can purchase a lathe through work and I have been offered either an Excel TH3309D or a Baileigh Industrial PL-1340E lathe from one of our old tooling suppliers.

The WM250V has enough swing for everything I currently do but I could do with a bit longer bed. The above industrial lathes an pretty big and heavy and perhaps a bit overkill for my 16 x 8 foot shed. I was wondering if anyone had any experience of either makes? I think the Excel TH3309D is a new model and I cannot find much information it on the web. Perhaps someone could recommend a model of lathe with a similar swing to the WM250V but with a longer bed.

Kind regards,

Darren

Thread: Saying hello for Norn Iron
03/10/2017 10:10:52

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Darren

02/10/2017 09:21:43

Hi,

I'm Darren from Northern Ireland. I've been lurking here for about a year now. I'm incredibly impressed with all the masses of information on machining and engineering available on here and the extremely helpful people who post it. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions to ask everyone.

Kind regards,

Darren

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Meridienne oct 2019
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
ChesterUK
Ausee.com.au
TRANSWAVE Converters
cowbells
Allendale Electronics
emcomachinetools
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest