By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bryan Cedar 1

Here is a list of all the postings Bryan Cedar 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Adhesive Storage?
18/05/2019 13:44:56

A most important discovery was that all silicone rubber sealants will keep for years in the freezer and are usable immediately they are removed from the freezer as they do not freeze. One of my freezer drawers is full of silicone!

Thread: Simplex water gauge connections.
04/01/2019 10:52:37

Thank you to everybody who responded to my query re the Simplex water gauge connections.

Unfortunately it was all in vain as the selling company whose initials are S R S failed to respond to my enquiries on three occasions. I have therefore decided not to proceed with the purchase. Probably a good omen as I have been warned off this loco.

31/12/2018 15:35:00

Hi David

Thanks for your input to my query. I have shown the picture of m intended purchase of the Simplex to my boiler inspector. He has accepted my suggestion that if a "T" piece is fitted directly to the boiler 1/2" bush that connects to the manifold this in turn directly feeds the top water gauge connection before the manifold connection, the result will be satisfactory owing to the large size of the bore of the bush. the original connection will remain for support but will be blanked off.

23/12/2018 17:17:36

Thanks to everybody  who responded to my query.

I have been thinking about the problem and wonder if by restricting the flow to the upper gauge connection by introducing a brass tube with a very small hole, rather like a carburettor jet, the effect would be to dampen out the fluctuations to make the gauge useable. Perhaps members could give their views on this. Initially I realise that this hole would have to be kept clear of obstruction i.e lime scale, however I use rainwater.

Edited By Bryan Cedar 1 on 23/12/2018 17:18:52

22/12/2018 13:33:10
Posted by Bryan Cedar 1 on 22/12/2018 11:22:49:

I am considering buying a Simplex form a well know locomotive dealer and have a question re the water gauge connections on this model, photo attached.

A friend pointed out the unusual way the top connection is taken from the steam manifold instead of the usual way of a connection to the top of the boiler.

Is this an advantage or will it cause surging of the water level or in fact prevent it?

simplex backhead.jpg

Thanks for response. Is this a problem as the use of blower and injector would be of short duration. It is during actual running that would be a problem if this occurs. The usual way Simplex's are connected is to take a connection to a separate connector to the left of boiler manifold at about the 11 o'clock position. This would be into the steam filled area at the top of boiler.

22/12/2018 11:22:49

I am considering buying a Simplex form a well know locomotive dealer and have a question re the water gauge connections on this model, photo attached.

A friend pointed out the unusual way the top connection is taken from the steam manifold instead of the usual way of a connection to the top of the boiler.

Is this an advantage or will it cause surging of the water level or in fact prevent it?

simplex backhead.jpg

Thread: Suspected stuck piston rings
02/08/2018 17:39:34

Hello Hopper

Thanks for your response, When I wrote the bore was tapered, I should have stressed that this was intentionally done by the makers, not something that has occurred in use.

01/08/2018 16:56:32

Forgot to mention. Although the makers say do not use easy start sprays, I did try the Holt Easy Start without success. That was before the head clean and valve lapping. Am reluctant to try again due to the makers warning not to use start sprays. Not sure what damage it may cause.

Edited By Bryan Cedar 1 on 01/08/2018 16:57:07

Edited By Bryan Cedar 1 on 01/08/2018 16:59:50

01/08/2018 16:53:39

This engine is sea water cooled and the discharge is via two silencers containing water through which the exhaust gasses pass. There is not enough compression to ignite the fuel. I do think it is a matter of freeing the rings, hopefully without dismantling. Everything else seems fine, I have had the injector checked and it is OK. Injection pump produces a tiny amount of discharge on each stroke which is to be expected. Unfortunately due to the configuration of the high pressure pipe I cannot couple it to the injector to observe the spray output. I do however believe it is OK.

01/08/2018 13:16:41

Thanks to everybody for replying to my posting. The engine has done very few hours, under 100 and is like new.

Compression is there but only needs to be about 20% down in compression for it not to start it being a diesel engine.

I do not want to strip down at this stage as this is a major job, there being little head room, no pun intended, to remove the cylinder barrel.

I was hoping that somebody had experience of using a light oil to free up stuck rings.

01/08/2018 12:14:39

I have a Farymann 18W 400cc single cylinder diesel engine coupled to a 4KW 230 volt alternator in a Fischer Panda marine generator

The engine refuses to start. Having overhauled the cylinder head and lapped the valves, the exhaust valve seat was rough and not seating. Engine still does not start. I suspect the piston rings are stuck giving low compression. I wonder if anyone has used either Auto transmission fluid i.e. TQF or perhaps Redex down the bore to free up stuck rings. I do not have a compression tester at this time.

Interestingly, the bore is tapered being wider at the bottom. The suppliers suggest that the piston should be at BDC before adding the oil so that the oil can penetrate the ring grooves more easily.

Edited By Bryan Cedar 1 on 01/08/2018 12:17:18

Thread: New application of Mole Grips
14/07/2018 16:16:12

I have found the only way to open some stubborn paint tin lids is to prise up the edge and grip it with a pair of moles grips and lever the lid off. Distorts the edge which has to be straightened afterward. At least I get access to the contents. Many tins are badly designed and this is the only way.

Thread: New Stuff You've Never Used
11/03/2018 14:52:14

Unfortunately that will not keep Maplins in business !

Thread: Guy Martin - WW1 Tank - Channel 4
22/11/2017 09:22:47

Yes I watched the program, only trouble I do not know what language Guy Martin speaks ? I can rarely understand what he is saying.

Thread: Lack of bushes on Speedy boiler and loco for sale
19/11/2017 12:38:12

Having been offered a Speedy 060 on "Steam Engines For Sale" website. I noticed that both upper steam valves were fitted directly to the copper back head by cheese headed bolts.

The seller assured me that bushes were fitted to these fitting and that the boiler certificates issued by his London club would not have been issued if bushes were not fitted at these points.

Having made a two hundred mile round trip to look and buy this loco, I had to reject it as I am under the impression that my boiler inspector would have rejected this boiler.

Can any forum member or better still inspector advise me if they would have accepted a boiler without bushes in two to three locations? I am under the impression that the boiler had been modified after manufacture and was designed for a manifold to be used. This boiler was made by Alec Farmer some 30 years ago and has only just been used for a new build. I cannot imagine that he would have omitted any bushes.

I look forward to forum views.

Read more: **LINK**

Thread: LMS 2F Experiences
21/09/2017 20:44:18

Hello Julian

Many thanks for your reply. Not very encouraging but most helpful. The model I was considering IS to the published design. As such I gather that you advise AVOID. Can you elaborate on "(the boiler design was quickly altered)"

Interesting that Kennions continue to market castings, drawings etc.

There seem to be few of these locos coming to the market.

Thanks again, Regards

Bryan

Thread: pottyengineering Clamping Drill
21/09/2017 18:13:10

Nice one Stew,

A case of needs must, well thought out !

Bryan.

Hythe. Southampton

Thread: LMS 2F Experiences
21/09/2017 13:04:40

Has any ME member of the Forum any experience or comment on the "Twin Sisters" LMS 2F

I am considering acquiring one. The ash grate and tray are difficult to manage and I would like to know the best way to deal with this issue. The version is the fully detailed one.

Does any member run one ?

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest