By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bryan Cedar 1

Here is a list of all the postings Bryan Cedar 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: QCTP dilema?
19/03/2020 12:06:32
Posted by Bo'sun on 19/03/2020 08:54:45:

Good morning,

I want to buy a QCTP, but which type? Piston, Dixon, Wedge, etc.

Clearly the decision is going to be a combination of function, reliability and quality. Any thoughts appreciated.

The toolpost is for a Warco WM240.

I recently bought a set of QCTP from Chronos for my Myford S7 but had to return them as the screw that is tapped into the tool holders were of different lengths. The holes were of similar depth but the tapping allowed the screws to screw down to different lengths and would not allow 8mm tools to be set to centre height. Bought a similar set from RGD which were obviously by a different maker, they were perfect. Tried to lock the Chronos threads with a thread lock but it would not take due to oil contamination which I could not remove in the tapped holes. Cannot understand why Chronos did not seem to know of this problem.

Thread: ventilator production coronavirus
18/03/2020 15:14:03
Posted by Dave Halford on 18/03/2020 14:27:23:

I wonder where JCB fit into this?

Producing ventilators for whales I should think, nothing smaller.

Thread: Coronavirus
17/03/2020 16:50:22

I was almost amused when it was reported that JCB and Honda had been approached to ask if they could produce ventilators! I think that we individual model engineers had a better chance of producing one.

Thread: Sieg Mill from ArcEurotrade
12/03/2020 17:02:06

Hello Jon

I do believe that the prices from ArcEurotrade have been reduced. I can thoroughly recommend them for excellent service. You should not be disappointed. I have no connection with them apart from being a satisfied customer.

Thread: Coronavirus
12/03/2020 11:43:21

I am on an immuno suppressant drug and am going to self isolate for the time being. On the rare occasion I have to go out I will wear thin latex gloves and dispose them on my return. my good neighbours will shop for me. Good health to all forum members.

Thread: Printers
07/03/2020 11:54:11

It would help to get an answer if you would state the model number.

Thread: What sort of things DO NOT inspire you
22/02/2020 14:21:17
Posted by Mick B1 on 22/02/2020 12:21:21:
Posted by bill ellis on 22/02/2020 11:51:54:

Most TV is pretty awful these days. One thing I cannot get my head around is why total fwits go on quiz shows. Maybe it is because they are too stupid to know they are stupid. Even my dog knows the name of the wide collars worn by men in Elizabethan times (Ruff).

Oh yeah? Well my cat knows the name of the first Chairman of the Glorious Chinese People's Revolutionary Party...

wink

Edited By Mick B1 on 22/02/2020 12:21:33

Nice one, or should I say two. ! Made me chuckle

Thread: Tender hand pump, does it need a bypass valve
11/02/2020 14:32:04

Answer in a word No, but it does need to feed via a Clack Valve.

Thread: Supplier of coal/water containers for use on trolley?
01/02/2020 11:07:54

Can any forum member please advise me of a suppler of coal/water containers for use on a trolley. there used to be such a supplier on Ebay. making these in stainless.

Thread: Tuna Can Blower
22/01/2020 18:02:44

Looks like you are into making metal underpants at the same time, see photo number 4 !

22/01/2020 14:42:33

Hi Stew

I guess it works just as well with salmon tins, great job !

Bryan

Thread: New legislation that could affect us all.
09/01/2020 16:55:10
Posted by Swarf, Mostly! on 09/01/2020 16:07:00:

Hi there, all,

I'm very surprised that there has been no mention of an essential attribute of toilet seats and lids. Namely that when seat and lid are raised, they should be in a state of equilibrium and in no danger of falling closed.

This was not difficult to achieve in the case of toilets that were fitted with the 'Old English Long-drop' elevated cistern and long flush-pipe but I expect these are few and far between nowadays. Fast forward to modern times and the close-coupled suite and I assume that the desired condition is an integral aspect of the geometry of the sanitary hardware.

However, the problem of falling lids/seats might still be experienced in toilets of intermediate age that employ a low installation position for the cistern and a discrete but short flush-pipe.

A politically incorrect acquaintance has occasionally been heard to refer in an exasperated tone to 'damned female plumbers!!'.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Hi all

Al these comments go to prove that there is no such thing as "Bog Standard." How did this expression come about?

09/01/2020 10:59:23
Posted by Mike Poole on 09/01/2020 09:29:16:
Posted by Paul M on 09/01/2020 09:14:23:

I am still in discussion with my employer regarding, which newspaper and the size of the squares, and whether to use string or nylon cord. No British Standards seem to have been published.

The Guardian would give me the most pleasure in this application.smiley

Mike

The size of squares reminds me of my experience in the QA hospital at Gosport where the loo paper size was so narrow one had to be careful how you used it !. On my next visit I took my own. At Southampton, the paper was considerably larger. So there should be standards for size. NHS please note

08/01/2020 11:00:05
Posted by Grindstone Cowboy on 08/01/2020 10:41:45:

ISO 100-R011 - at last, something to make people do it the correct way. Which is, of course, paper feeding downwards from the wall side.

Edited By Grindstone Cowboy on 08/01/2020 10:42:38

I disagree, always paper away from wall. It is easier to grasp it that way.

Thread: lathe cutting fluid.
06/01/2020 12:59:02

To avoid staining of equipment, is it wise to use soluble oil neat. I have an almost full 5 liter can so it will last years assuming it does not go off.

Thread: Removing superglue from an oak table
30/12/2019 14:01:23

The water may do more harm than the glue!

30/12/2019 14:00:48
Posted by Howard Lewis on 30/12/2019 13:42:33:

Lots of water MAY allow the blob to be removed.

A sharp wood chisel, used with the sloping side down, may lift the blob of glue off the table, or at least allow you to cut it down to a very thin coating of glue..

Superglue does produce a very strong bond, so take care that you do not tear away the surface of the wood.w

You may be able to remove some, if not all of it by scraping. The tool in mind is a scraper for wood. This is basically a piece of steel, 16 SWG or slightly thicker with a straight edge, that has been, basically burred.

The downside is that , afterwards, you may have to scrape the whole surface to keep a uniform look, before re-oiling.

You may be lucky and only need to re-oil the small area where you have scraped..

If you can recover the situation before SWMBO finds out, your daughter should be eternally grateful, AND have learned her lesson!

However you attack it, Best of Luck!

Howard

Thread: windoze 10
29/09/2019 11:21:23

WINDOZE 10.

I fell asleep reading this !

Thread: Are there any left?
11/09/2019 13:28:40

Does anybody remember Arthur T Sallis in Brighton opposite the swimming baths in North Road. I used to visit it every time we went swimming. Rembember bying a 1154 Aircraft transmitter there, now worth a lot of money. Thaat was back in the early 50's

Thread: CH Motorised Valve Radio Interference
01/09/2019 14:17:31

Most motorized valves use a synchronous motor so no capacitor needed. The other word you are looking for is Toroid.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest