By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bryan Cedar 1

Here is a list of all the postings Bryan Cedar 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Acceptable runout on drill chuck
22/03/2022 14:33:34
Posted by DutchDan on 22/03/2022 10:33:28:

Together with my mill, I ordered a drill chuck from Warco.

I went to have a go at drilling for the first time yesterday and noticed a visible wobble on the chuck itself. I took it off the arbor, gave everything a very thorough clean and re-seated everything, but to no avail.

I put a DI against a 6mm drill in the chuck and measured a runout of ~0.4 mm. I then re-tried with a bigger (12mm) drill, which made matters a little better. I took a series of measurements, taking the drill out and re-chucking it in between which gave me a average of 0.315mm over 4 readings (0.24-0.37). I also tested the arbor which had about 0.005mm runout, so pretty good.

Another chuck I got from the same supplier had a much better runout of 0.11 mm using the same technique.

I've put some videos up on my drive of the actual measurements in case I did something strange. But the wobble is visible.

Measuring the arbor

Measuring the drill (6mm drill)

Now I will be returning the chuck with the big run-out, but I'm not sure about the other one. If I need to drill very precisely I'll use a collet. Which leads me to the question: what is acceptable runout for a drill chuck?

I have just returned two 100mm 3 jaw Warco chucks with MT2 backplates for my Warco HV6 rotary table, which by the way was superb in all respects. this was due to the first chuck being so poor that it required two hands to rotate the chuck key, The second one showed 0.4mm concentric run out. The body run out was very slight but the jaws were the problem and did not even come fully together on one pair. These were made in India. The price of these chucks has just risen by a whopping amount.

Thread: Acoustic Damping/Attenuation
15/02/2022 10:14:53
Posted by Bob Mc on 15/02/2022 09:37:24:

I used some stuff for deadening engine noise in a car, it was cheap and effective.

Bob

Maybe, but what was it???

Thread: Myford owners
10/02/2022 11:53:25

Hi Steve

I would love one of your Myford S7 carriage locks please.

Can I send you the postage?

My Address is

A great service and offer.

thanks

Bryan

Edited By JasonB on 14/02/2022 14:31:06

Thread: Items which gave most satisfaction to make
08/01/2022 14:17:02
Posted by Ramon Wilson on 08/01/2022 08:36:07:

Most finished projects but finally making this after setting out to do so some twenty seven years earlier was very satisfying

dscf0177.jpg

That was worth the the effort. Quite lovely.

Thread: Warco HV6 rotary table
05/12/2021 16:50:35
Posted by Gerhard Novak on 05/12/2021 16:18:04:

Bought a 4" rotary table last spring, from a brandless Indian source (ebay). Well I paid for that, as it was so non accurate that I decided 6 month later to go for another one. I finally bought a Warco 4" model, I kept the 80mm self centering chuck which came with the indian one, as this was ok. With this combination I am now happy, but I threw about 60£ out of the window...

As in my starting posting, see first posting in this thread, I have the 6" Warco table and am delighted with it. Great finish and when adjusted, next to no play. Really smooth action.

Thread: Drilling and filling of the Dental kind.
03/12/2021 15:15:20

I have just been shocked by my dentist to be charged £70 for a ten minute assessment for a lost filling and part broken tooth. A part re construction is required at a cost of £175. This is private treatment. I would like to know if Forum members are charged for initial assessments. This charge works out £420 per hour. Total cost for one filling £245 !

Thread: New Dell wireless keyboards do not work.
17/11/2021 12:34:56

Silly me!

I should have put my glasses on but failed to spot the rather small o/off button. All working now.

Thanks everybody who responded. The main unit has a on/off button that is completely out of sight and IS a job to know it is there.

17/11/2021 10:20:40
Posted by Bryan Cedar 1 on 17/11/2021 10:04:01:

Having treated myself to a new Dell 5400 all in one Desktop with wireless keyboard and mouse, I have failed to get the keyboard to work at all. The mouse is fine.

On delivery the positive battery contact was not making contact with the keyboard sprung connector. I teased the connector out and it now seems OK. The keyboard was replaced by Dell with exactly the same result, dead.

My question for computer buffs is :-Should the led's for capital lock and numerals lock light when activated by the keyboard keys? I assume that the power for these led's comes direct from the keyboard itself and there is no signal from the PC to activate these led's. I confirm the led's do not light as I thought they should.

An alternative wireless keyboard and mouse work fine with this PC

There is no on/off switch. Re the other response I was not aware there was any communication FROM the PC to keyboard

17/11/2021 10:04:01

Having treated myself to a new Dell 5400 all in one Desktop with wireless keyboard and mouse, I have failed to get the keyboard to work at all. The mouse is fine.

On delivery the positive battery contact was not making contact with the keyboard sprung connector. I teased the connector out and it now seems OK. The keyboard was replaced by Dell with exactly the same result, dead.

My question for computer buffs is :-Should the led's for capital lock and numerals lock light when activated by the keyboard keys? I assume that the power for these led's comes direct from the keyboard itself and there is no signal from the PC to activate these led's. I confirm the led's do not light as I thought they should.

An alternative wireless keyboard and mouse work fine with this PC

Thread: Spot the oddity
07/11/2021 15:52:25
Posted by JasonB on 07/11/2021 15:24:07:

I can't spot anything, looks the common arrangement for hit and miss engines. Cam behind the timing gear moves the push rod, that moves the rocker and that moves the exhaust valve. Inlet is atmospheric and just opens when the vacuum cause by the descending piston sucks it open.

Hi Jason

You have answered my query. ie. there is no means of operating the inlet valve. did not realise it is operated by vacuum. Many thanks. Matter closed.

07/11/2021 15:10:09

Saw this IC engine in Station Road Steam site and though the valve gear looked very odd. Can you spot the oddity? Nothing mentioned in the description.

https://www.stationroadsteam.com/open-crank-ic-engine-stock-code-9530/

Thread: Warco BS100 Metal belt sander
06/11/2021 12:40:42

I am considering a Warco BS100 metal belt sander. I wonder if any member has one and can give an opinion. Will it be any good for use on wood? Given that if will be slower cutting than a dedicated wood working sander

Thread: Warco HV6 rotary table
01/11/2021 10:21:44

There is no doubt about the quality of the Warco HV6 rotary table. It was from a newly delivered batch and does not need dismantling to clean etc. The design is quite different from what was supposed to be a Soba brand from Chronos. which did not have a Soba marking. The Warco was superior in all respects and looks almost exactly like a Vertex even down to the black crackle finish. I rest my case. I did note that the Vertex had just three slots as opposed to four on the Warco.

30/10/2021 18:08:28
Posted by not done it yet on 30/10/2021 17:37:43:

Vertex have a good name amongst rotary tables. Please tell us why you even considered an alternative if the price difference was marginal.

Or maybe if wasn’t a Vertex - but looks very much like one.

Edited By not done it yet on 30/10/2021 17:54:27

I did not need the Vertex as for my needs was a bit over kill. The one from Warco looks so close to a Vertex that I doubt there would be much advantage to spend some £100 more. I am happy now. The price difference was between the Chronos and Warco one, making the Warco a bargain

30/10/2021 14:51:29

Forgot to say the Chronos table was sold as a Soba make. The package was all in all a very similar price for both deals.

30/10/2021 14:43:17

Having purchased a 6" rotary table from Chronos, I hope I am permitted to say this. The Chronos table was very poorly finished and the engraving was barely visible through the corrosion. I think this was a returned item.. The cranking handle was fixed on its spindle. It went back. Purchased a 6" one from Warco and what a difference. Beautifully finished smooth as silk good legible engraving and finish with a fully rotating handle. Backlash adjusted to virtually nil. Good job Warco!

Thread: Heatshrink sleeving as a heat insulator for valve handles?
26/09/2021 12:41:29
Posted by Circlip on 26/09/2021 11:42:26:

Handles used to be "Sleeved" with Tufnol.

Regards Ian.

Hi Ian

Tufnol was my first thought but will try the heat shrink tubing first as much easier to do. A friend made his handles in Tufnol but it is almost a clockmakers job to achieve the very fine square sockets that my loco requires.

25/09/2021 22:00:59

I have run my Kingscale Std 4 for the first time and all went well except for the fact that I found the handles on the steam valves too hot to handle.

Can an kind member let me know if say two layers of heatshrink sleeving on the handles would help? This would be an easy solution as the handles are straight.

The gloves I had on simply melted where covered with grip rubber.

Thread: What Did You Do Today 2021
25/09/2021 16:01:45

I need some Loctite 572 thread sealant (As used by Kingscale on their models to seal steam fittings. Has anybody bought some recently and what shelf life can I expect. This is an expensive grade and sold at very varying prices. That currently on offer on EBay states there is no expiry date or it is Nov 2021 or Dec 2022

Thread: Small bandsaw needed
21/09/2021 10:44:53

Its Femi for me, delighted with mine. Cuts accurately.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
Dreweatts
Rapid RC
Eccentric Engineering
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest