By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bryan Cedar 1

Here is a list of all the postings Bryan Cedar 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Yet another scam
17/09/2021 13:41:09

Thousand not millions. Not worth answering for such a puny amount!

Thread: Machine Lamp Recommendation?
04/09/2021 21:04:36
Posted by KEITH BEAUMONT on 04/09/2021 20:30:17:

8 hours have past and no one has made a comment about S O D leaving his chuck key in the chuck !!

Keith

That is because it is a Rotary Table !!!!! they are not known to harm people.

Thread: They see you coming
04/09/2021 20:57:41

Not good design. There should be a guard around that bolt to prevent it happening again. I wonder what make and

model of car it is?

Thread: Cleaning my lathe
02/09/2021 12:49:35

Acetone cleans un painted cast iron very well. Brings my mill bed up shiny as new. Oil afterwards and wipe off.

Thread: Myford threaded chucks on a Rotary Table?
29/08/2021 19:02:52

Re my need to use Myford chucks on my new Soba HV 6 rotary table. I forgot to mention that the mill will not run in reverse and the chucks are direct mounted without back plates. I can buy a MT2 to Myford thread arbor as the center of table is provided with a MT2 socket but wonder if this is rugged enough to hold a 4 or 6 inch chuck?

29/08/2021 18:01:47

I have just purchased a Soba 6" HV6 rotary table As my needs do not justify a Vertex version. I wish to use my existing Myford 3 and 4 jaw chucks with this table. I can buy a MT2 adaptor to take the Myford chucks but think there will be a problem with them becoming unscrewed when milling, may be OK for drilling.

Is there any way to overcome this issue?

Thread: Design Award
18/08/2021 11:06:47

Surely a projecting handle at the top would be a worthwhile improvement. otherwise one would have to touch the wall to steady ones self. You would have the other hand free.

Thread: Knurling tool
15/08/2021 14:12:32

I may have missed in a posting as to whether the ARC Euro knurling tool is recommended as they usually satisfy themselves that what they sell is fit for purpose.

Thread: Source of scale checker plate?
31/07/2021 10:16:51

Many thanks to all who responded. Will follow up the leads.

30/07/2021 15:55:36

Can any kind forum member advise me where I may obtain scale checker plate for the cab floor of a 5" loco. I did find one supplier but the cost was very high.

Thread: Calculating Diameter
12/06/2021 17:36:05
Posted by mechman48 on 12/06/2021 17:16:45:

Depends on the type of thread you want to make; Metric coarse/fine, BSW, BSF, BA, UNF, AF et al. Do you have a ZEUS book ? if not I suggest you get one they are cheap as chips. In it you'll find all the thread types you need with all the relevant core diameters, ID & OD, thread pitches / depth etc plus a load more handy information. Well worth it at todays price.

Amazon.co.uk : zeus book ...have one at £5.20

George.

Does the Zeus book cover Model Engineering threads or are they in the Pocket book mentioned above ?

Thread: Reilang oil can re-design
11/06/2021 15:33:45

p1050242.jpgp1050243.jpgHaving voiced my dissatisfaction at the leak around the screw top on my Reilang oil can. I have re engineered the top sealing arrangement by adding an aluminium collar to the can. The collar is simply super glued in place. See photographs. Perhaps Reiling will take note.

All is now wellp1050245.jpg

Thread: Reilang oil cans, fit for purpose?
08/06/2021 10:47:24
Posted by Howard Lewis on 08/06/2021 10:30:50:

My Reilang is always hung over the edge of an old bakingb vtray, on a high shelf. Which explains why I have never experienced oil leaking when it is on its side.

Certainly, in use, it is at a wide variety of angles, and never leaks. But possibly not ther for long enough.

Try storing it up righti. If it doesn't leak when in use, problem solved.

In my book it functions as it should (Better than may others ) so is fit for purpose.

I don't expect that the design brief covered storage lying down.

Howard

Hi Howard

The only reason that my Reilang needed to be stored on its side was to pack in my tool box to take to track, too tall to place upright. I have discovered that a PTFE sealing ring is available in Germany at over $9 plus excessive shipping charge. The claim is made that the PTFE one is more chemical resistant. It seems that Reilang are aware of a problem with the rubber seal. The German site states that the O ring was replaced with a flat rubber washer. Answer may be to machine a PTFE washer although not sure that PTFE would make a good seal.

07/06/2021 21:09:37
Posted by Neil Lickfold on 07/06/2021 20:28:52:

Is it leaking from the thread seal, or is it leaking from around the pump lever when placed on it's side?

Mine has to be stored upright. I have no oil cans that can be stored sideways. Mine all leak from around the pump lever.

Hi

It is leaking from the thread seal and slightly from the pump lever rod. It never occurred to me that these so called the Rolls Royce of pumps could not be stored on their sides. I can modify the seal washer system by machining a collar to hold the washer from being squeezed out of position.

07/06/2021 18:05:10
Posted by Howard Lewis on 07/06/2021 15:40:03:

Hi Bryan,

Have just checked mine.

The two flats are there so that the dies can be opened to release the pressure die casting.

The O ring is 3 mm section and merely seals between the flat face of the upper casting (carrying the "works" and nozzle ), and the top of the reservoir.

It looks as if the O ring seats against the metal outside the thread in the top of the reservoir.

So the seal should be made between two flat faces, even if the lower one is narrow.

Are both surfaces free from defects / debris that would affect sealing?

Howard

Hi again Howard.

Surfaces are fine. Cannot understand how an O ring would work as lower surface of container is only about 1.5mm wide and would squeeze O ring to one side. Perhaps a non stretchy type would be needed. I tried an identical flat washer perhaps of a different composition and it works OK if not screwed up too tight. The design is all wrong as there is no groove or channel to stop the sealing washer being squeezed out. I may machine an outer sleeve that is a tight fit on the container that embodies a raised edge to prevent the side movement of the washer.

There are signs of seepage from the plunger when the can is laid on its side. These oil cans are certainly over rated.

One should not have to do such things. I still have the option to return the oil can to to Amazon.

07/06/2021 14:30:05
Posted by Howard Lewis on 07/06/2021 14:20:54:

Am intrigued by the "flat rubber washer"

On mine, the top is sealed to the reservoir with an O ring. NEVER had a leak.

Try replacing the flat rubber with an O ring of about 4 mm section.

Bought my Reilang because another oil gun leaked so badly. Am a big fan! Costly, but good, and works at any angle without a leak.

Howard

Hi Howard

I tried an O ring of about 2mm section, was yours supplied with a 4mm O ring from new?

May try a larger section.

07/06/2021 10:55:55

Having invested a fair sum for a 300ml Reiland oil can, I have found that it leaks badly form the can to screw in top. The top part which is threaded has two large flats where the thread is absent. The leak occurs from these areas even though there is a flat rubber washer that is supposed to seal the joint. A club member that I spoke to has the exact problem. How do Reilang continue to sell oil cans like this?

I have tried different o rings and rubber washers, and the pump continues to leak.

As the can would have to be laid flat in my tool box it is not fit for purpose and will have to be returned.

Thread: De Walt 240V Portable Band Saw in UK?
20/02/2021 13:50:16

A posting above contains the error of spelling there instead of their. This is the third posting I have seen in a week with this error. Come on chaps do check your spelling

Thread: The Repair Shop is getting to me...
10/01/2021 16:44:22

Programs that turn me off .. Salvage Hunters comes to mind as an example of buying rubbish and selling rubbish at ridiculously inflated prices !

Thread: How the Fork can I do this?
22/11/2020 17:34:59

Do not forget the two Ronnies sketch and end up with four Candles!

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Dreweatts
rapid Direct
JD Metals
walker midge
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest