By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Bryan Cedar 1

Here is a list of all the postings Bryan Cedar 1 has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: The Repair Shop is getting to me...
10/01/2021 16:44:22

Programs that turn me off .. Salvage Hunters comes to mind as an example of buying rubbish and selling rubbish at ridiculously inflated prices !

Thread: How the Fork can I do this?
22/11/2020 17:34:59

Do not forget the two Ronnies sketch and end up with four Candles!

22/11/2020 17:32:11
Posted by Iain Downs on 22/11/2020 16:22:20:

Having taken all the advice on board, I think I will attempt to buy a new wooden handle!

Many thanks all.

Iain

Edited By Iain Downs on 22/11/2020 16:22:31

Do not forget the two Ronnies sketch and ask for Fork Handles and end up with Four candles !

Thread: Wood boat hull
22/11/2020 13:14:11

I would think that if the hull was constructed using glued planks ie, resembling plywood, there is less chance of warping as in proper plywoood. I have two hulls made purely for show constructed this way.

Thread: How the Fork can I do this?
21/11/2020 11:54:35

Just make sure if you attempt to buy one you do not end up with " Four candles" !!!!

Thread: Hand drilling stainless steel 3mm thick
14/11/2020 16:54:59

Glad to report that my efforts at drilling in 3mm stainless of unknown grade have paid off. I ordered a carbide tipped drill, the sort used to drill locks. It did cut but very slowly and produced fine grains of swarf. Changed over to a 5% cobalt drill from Arc Euro and the difference was amazing the swarf being long strands of swarf. Job done. Thanks everybody for the suggestions.

Thread: Sieg Milling Machines
11/11/2020 17:05:54

I have had a 3.5DZP for one year and apart from total failure of the main PCB board which has now been replaced by a completely re designed board I am very happy with it. Excellent service from ARC euro.

Thread: Hand drilling stainless steel 3mm thick
09/11/2020 14:40:06

Many thanks everybody for all the suggestions to date. I have 5% cobalt drills on order also a carbide tipped drill bit. I had a stock of new SKF/dormer drills in 4.1mm so can continue to try using these the first of which shows no sign of any wear at all so continuing with a cutting compound is an option.

I have gone too far to change the clevis design and started one hole so will persevere.

09/11/2020 11:42:01

I am in the process of trying to drill the rear buffer beam of my new Kingscale BR4 standard loco to fit a clevis fitting instead of the BR hook.

To my astonishment I discovered when trying to drill 4mm holes with an electric hand drill that the beam was stainless steel of an unknown grade. A brand new SKF/Dormer HSS drill bit made little impression of the stainless as after 2 minutes drilling the bit only cut a depression the width of the drill bit.

Can any kind member of the forum offer any suggestions as I do not want to comtemplate removing the buffer beam. Will a cutting oil do much good as it is difficult to apply to a vertical surface in this case? I have ordered some 5% cobalt drills in the hope they may be successful. Reading about carbide tipped drills they seem to shatter easily, perhaps a member can reccomend a good carbide tipped drill not solid carbide, as I fear they will shatter instantly being hand held and using the clevis fitting holes to position the drill bit.

Thread: Coping with voltage spikes
17/08/2020 13:00:02

"Never before in the history of Model Engineer Forum has such a small item attracted such intrest"

Thread: power feed for miller
15/08/2020 13:23:32

You talk of two connections, do not forget the earth!

Thread: Coping with voltage spikes
13/08/2020 18:11:20

You have not stated what actually happens to the LED when you start the engine.

Thread: Kingscale metric fastner info sought
10/08/2020 14:46:40

Thank you Jason.

10/08/2020 13:12:08

Having recently taken delivery of a new Kingscale 5" BR Std 4 loco and obtained a supply of spare bolts from Kingscale I am unable to identify exactly what size they are so as to buy a nut spinner/driver to fit. The width across flats is 2.47 mm and across the threads1.90 mm. These may be non standard head model engineering specials.

Can any kind forum member identify what size I have and reccomend a nut spinner supplier or a spanner supplier to fit these bolts.

Thread: Cleaning emergency !
02/08/2020 21:19:24

Correction, I see OP did try bleach.

02/08/2020 21:18:08

Nobody appears to suggest bleach. Try it in different strengths of dillution starting with the weakest.

Thread: DRO installation - a salutary lesson
30/07/2020 10:36:38

I wonder if the screws were distorting the internals in any way and causing a bad connection on the electronics?

Thread: D H Gipsy mk1
18/06/2020 11:35:12

Beautiful work which I could not come near to, but should the lower pipe under the sump not be routed under the mid position pipe closer to the sump which would look much better?

Thread: The good bits coming out of the Covid epidemic
21/04/2020 12:03:33
Posted by Gaunless on 21/04/2020 09:04:30:

All the NHS workers I know are embarrassed by the clapping. Who had that Moronic idea? Leave them some dignity perhaps?

I do hope that when this virus nightmare is over the goverment will award some kind of medal to those on the front line of the NHS. After all, we are fighting a world war and it is usual to award a medal in such circumstances of war service.

This acton will mean more than Thursday night clapping.

Thread: Aging rubber and plastic
18/04/2020 17:18:57

I had a pair of Clarks leather shoes with rubber soles. Discovered that the sole had parted form the upper whilst sitting at dinner on a cruise. Left a trail of rubber bits through the restaurant , most embarrassing. Had them re- soled by Clarks only to have this happen again just over eighteen months later. Result will not buy Clarks again and they should get their act together, as not fit for purpose.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
ChesterUK
EngineDIY
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest